Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When we got promoted.. 02:09 - Dec 17 with 9272 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Which of you lot shed a tear?

I've always wondered if I will. If we ever get promoted. Ever.

Edit - Asides from Ulla of course
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 2:10]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

When we got promoted.. on 02:17 - Dec 17 with 8208 viewsbluewein

I did.

I was 15 years old (16 a week later) and I’d gone through 3 years solid of heartbreak.
I got into football the year we won div 2, and didn’t really understand it at that point so 2000 was the most important year of my life as a town fan.

That said, I had a bit of water in the eye when we were relegated and the second year the spammers knocked us out.

Im not sure you’ll ever feel as much frustration as most of those years we missed out we were good enough to go up automatically. But having met you and knowing you on here, I’m sure you’ll shed a manly one come the end of May. ;-)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

When we got promoted.. on 02:48 - Dec 17 with 8193 viewstextbackup

I was 13/14 best mate waked to mine, we walked to ground at 8am(scared to miss coach & I cried outside Kitchener on brick wall - he didn't see)
Outside ground (the norm 6/7 coaches) now we are seeing 35/40

Ideal leave was 10-00, anyone from 08-00 got took

We arrived at Wembley - 1230 - older lads got us beers/chips at offy (Willet/Vincey)... wasn't pretty, We were kids, but!...

Ground at 1458, lost tik fcked about

In there

Mess from steward 3-1 - 4-1

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

When we got promoted.. on 02:55 - Dec 17 with 8176 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

When we got promoted.. on 02:17 - Dec 17 by bluewein

I did.

I was 15 years old (16 a week later) and I’d gone through 3 years solid of heartbreak.
I got into football the year we won div 2, and didn’t really understand it at that point so 2000 was the most important year of my life as a town fan.

That said, I had a bit of water in the eye when we were relegated and the second year the spammers knocked us out.

Im not sure you’ll ever feel as much frustration as most of those years we missed out we were good enough to go up automatically. But having met you and knowing you on here, I’m sure you’ll shed a manly one come the end of May. ;-)

I was 7 (I think) and remember crying my eyes in the bathroom after that second West Ham playoff loss. That was my first footballing memory. Everyone at school loved West Ham as well plus cousins etc.

I genuinely don't think I'd cry at the game if we went up. Perhaps when I got home and saw the highlights on the tv and it hits me I might.

Perhaps this is our year. BELIEVE!

When we got promoted.. on 02:57 - Dec 17 with 8177 viewstextbackup

When we got promoted.. on 02:48 - Dec 17 by textbackup

I was 13/14 best mate waked to mine, we walked to ground at 8am(scared to miss coach & I cried outside Kitchener on brick wall - he didn't see)

We arrived at Wembley - 1230 - older lads got us beers/chips at offy (Willet/Vincey)... wasn't pretty, We were kids, but!...

In there

Reused scored I fell over, numb...cried dead wtf. Just stood

As LL says, DJ going off that was ours

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

When we got promoted.. on 02:58 - Dec 17 with 8168 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

When we got promoted.. on 02:48 - Dec 17 by textbackup

In there

Stuff of dreams. The thought of you smashed at Wembley ages 13 is amusing

One day Texters it will happen again. We will get out of this league at some point. 15 years time maybe. But we will see it happen. And we will feel it so much more than your tv fan that sits and 'supports' Man City.

One day..
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 3:01]

When we got promoted.. on 04:07 - Dec 17 with 8128 viewsIllinoisblue

Didn’t cry at Wembley in 2000 but on the train home had an overwhelming sense of contentment and joy and exhaustion. Was on the piss for the next couple of days and then on the Wednesday I watched the whole game as taped it off Sky. Goosebumps. Then at the end of the recording Sky did a montage of our goals and celebrations set to Elvis song If I Can Dream... and I cried like a
baby.

Hang in there Rommers your day will come.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

When we got promoted.. on 04:18 - Dec 17 with 8112 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wembley was obviously a fairytale day the way it unfolded. But 91/92 meant more to me for some reason. It seemed as though the dark days under Ferguson and then Duncan were finally behind us, after Robson's glorious team was dismantled and we overspent on the new stand. I saw a lot of us on the road (and at PR) that year too, so it was a good laugh too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

on 07:26 - Dec 17 with 7999 views_

Login to get fewer ads

When we got promoted.. on 07:43 - Dec 17 with 7977 viewsStokieBlue

I'd just gotten off a flight from Boston about 4 hours previously and was knackered.

I also had bells palsy which made doing anything with my face quite tricky. You should have seen me trying to drink a beer.

So no tears from me I am afraid.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

When we got promoted.. on 07:44 - Dec 17 with 7978 viewsm14_blue

I'd like to think Ulla and all his filthy friends also shed a tear that day.....

Nothing personal GU.
on 07:48 - Dec 17 with 7974 views_

When we got promoted.. on 00:13 - Dec 18 with 7735 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

on 07:48 - Dec 17 by _

Just seen this Libby

A great post

on 10:39 - Dec 18 with 7644 views_

When we got promoted.. on 00:13 - Dec 18 by The_Romford_Blue

Just seen this Libby

A great post

When we got promoted.. on 10:56 - Dec 18 with 7611 viewsblueislander

I cried when we were promoted from 3rd Division South to 2nd Division in 1953-4. I was only 6 years old though!
When we got promoted.. on 11:01 - Dec 18 with 7605 viewsgerard1947

I've shed a few, very emotional times, not so much now, I'll leave that to you youngsters when we go up again. I cried when we went up last, the FA cup final was amazing when Mick Mills held the cup aloft. That was a good week I'd become a dad for the second time a couple of days before. The Robson years were simply outstanding, siting with my dad who had taken me to my first game the first day of the season when we were champions of England, never missed a home game that first year.

I admit with falling out of love with football in recent years, I blame Sky, but fall out of love with Ipswich Town never!
When we got promoted.. on 19:05 - Dec 18 with 7454 viewsBLUEBEAT

Didn’t blub at Wembley but got emotional coming back up the A12 seeing the tributes in the fields by the farming community - ITFC made out of hay bails etc.

Plus all the flags/people on the crossover bridges.

Poll: W or W

When we got promoted.. on 19:11 - Dec 18 with 7445 viewsHagbardCeline

eireblue, ElderGrizzly and SpruceMoose were crying with passionate euphoria when Reuser confirmed it

Lol
When we got promoted.. on 19:17 - Dec 18 with 7436 viewsSpruceMoose

When we got promoted.. on 19:11 - Dec 18 by HagbardCeline

eireblue, ElderGrizzly and SpruceMoose were crying with passionate euphoria when Reuser confirmed it

Lol

Verging on stalking now. Please stop.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

When we got promoted.. on 19:18 - Dec 18 with 7431 viewsHagbardCeline

When we got promoted.. on 19:17 - Dec 18 by SpruceMoose

Verging on stalking now. Please stop.

Ok.

What was your memory of the playoff final?
When we got promoted.. on 19:23 - Dec 18 with 7422 viewsMerthyrblue

Cried in 68. I can still see Crawford's equaliser in the final game of the season.
When we got promoted.. on 19:24 - Dec 18 with 7422 viewsPJH

Of the four main things that I have seen us win(League,FA Cup,UEFA Cup and Playoff Final)I think that I was most emotional at the Playoff Final because I had my son with me to share it although I was with my mum and dad when we clinched the League and my dad(and others)in Amsterdam.
When we got promoted.. on 19:51 - Dec 18 with 7390 viewsITFC_Forever

Was 17 years old in 1992 and about a dozen of us from Sixth Form went to Oxford, along with a couple of guys who lived in my Close who used to take me to away games where I was a bit younger.

The coaches got held up for some reason and we only got to the ground 20 mins before kick-off, but we managed to get a spot at the back of the terrace. Magilton put Oxford 1-0 up, but Gavin Johnson (who had a handy knack of scoring important goals) equalised almost immediately at the opposite ends to where we were.
Can’t remember much else about the game, other than pressing for a winner in the second half. News started to filter through that the other results were going our way, and we’d not just win promotion, but the title too.
When the final whistle went, I turned to climb on the little wall at he back as my mates had moaned at me for going on the pitch at Southend 3 weeks earlier. However, when I turned round, virtually all the away end was already on the pitch, so we wondered on and made our way towards where most fans were by the tunnel. Just as we got there, John Lyall emerged and we were right at the front of the PA box when he made his speech, although we couldn’t hear a word he was saying.
On the coach back, it was relatively quiet, just a satisfied contentment, even though there was us and another similar sized group of mid-teen lads we half-knew (in that we recognised them from going to games). I can remember the coach driver had Radio 1 on, and the radio sound city weekend was from Norwich, and they were roundly booed every time they were mentioned.

As for 2000, we got the train down and walked out of Wembley Park tube station just after 11am.
Father-in-law and Uncle-in-law were with us and were adamant they knew where there was a pub based on their recollections of the FA Cup Final in 1978!
After a while of traipsing about, we found a working men’s club that was letting people in for a quid, so we went in there and texted various other people we knew to meet us in there. There was an even split of Town and Barnsley fans, and there was a great atmosphere, both sets of fans getting on well.

After 10 pints or so, my then girlfriend (now wife) reminded me we did actually have a game to go and suggested I ate something to soak up the beer. Wise words.
The game came and went... can remember Wright’s save from the header which would would have made it 3-3, I was convinced it was going in, but from nowhere a hand clad in a goalkeeper’s glove appeared to knock it away.
When Reuser burst through at the end, it wanted him to anything else but shoot to kill time.... then when he scored, it didn’t matter!
We were sat at the back of the lower tier a couple of blocks to the left of the tunnel and everyone was standing in their seats to watch Matt Holland collect the trophy.
We then went in to London (went to go to The Globe, but it was closed, so we found somewhere nearby) for a couple of beers as some of our group lived in London.
Eventually got back to Liverpool St and we had a first class carriage home as they didn’t have enough standard closed carriages to service the football fans that day.

Briefly toyed with the idea of going out in town, but I had to up for work at 5.30 the next morning, so we headed home.

TWTD.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2017 21:22]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

When we got promoted.. on 20:09 - Dec 18 with 7360 viewsDubtractor

Never cried over football, though I clearly don't invest as much into it as a lot of you, but in 92 and 2000 I think I was as happy as it is possible to be.

I remember the ground emptying onto the pitch after the Brighton game in 92 and it was just brilliant, just an absolutely perfect day.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

When we got promoted.. on 21:14 - Dec 18 with 7309 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

When we got promoted.. on 07:43 - Dec 17 by StokieBlue

I'd just gotten off a flight from Boston about 4 hours previously and was knackered.

I also had bells palsy which made doing anything with my face quite tricky. You should have seen me trying to drink a beer.

So no tears from me I am afraid.

SB

Even when getting off a flight from America it's still "got" not "gotten" !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

When we got promoted.. on 21:42 - Dec 18 with 7285 viewsStokieBlue

When we got promoted.. on 21:14 - Dec 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Even when getting off a flight from America it's still "got" not "gotten" !

Indeed.

Although your concern for my debilitating condition at the time is noted.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024