Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MoM 09:00 - Dec 17 with 6378 viewspowinswitch

We have played 24 games so far and the TWTD MoM award has gone to:
BART on 13 occasions
Spence on 6 including yesterday when he was mint
With Didz, Downes, Jonas, Waghorn and Connolly picking up one each

We are scoring goals aplenty and are just outside the playoffs which are arguments offered as to why the crowds should be flocking back. But when you have 30% and 27% possession at home, the home fan struggles to find entertainment. Only twice have we collectively decided that an attacking player been the best on view. Interesting.
MoM on 09:21 - Dec 17 with 5302 viewsSimonds92

I think Waghorn so far has been the standout and should have got a few more MOTM's.

Regarding entertainment factor, I find watching teams like Reading & Brentford much more boring than ourselves. They had no real attacking threat for all their possession and although they did have one chance that Spence blocked they created virtually nothing.
You go to watch football to watch attacking players generally and no matter how we get the ball to them initially, it's exciting watching our front line in full flow.
MoM on 09:25 - Dec 17 with 5292 viewsMullet

The TWTD MOM award is about as accurate a Britain First rant. It's always full of bizarre scores before the players are out of the changing room.

Who's more entertained by possession than goals and winning?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

MoM on 09:29 - Dec 17 with 5279 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 09:21 - Dec 17 by Simonds92

I think Waghorn so far has been the standout and should have got a few more MOTM's.

Regarding entertainment factor, I find watching teams like Reading & Brentford much more boring than ourselves. They had no real attacking threat for all their possession and although they did have one chance that Spence blocked they created virtually nothing.
You go to watch football to watch attacking players generally and no matter how we get the ball to them initially, it's exciting watching our front line in full flow.

I absolutely agree your second para. Both those sides are toothless and dull. We are clinical finshers but dull. Due to the manager’s football philosophy.

Waghorn has been consistently excellent and would be in with a decent shout for player of the season were it held now. I loved the first goal yesterday for speed of passing, movement , helleverything about it. My post simply demonstrates (IMO) how we unwittingly acknowledge the manager’s dour style.
MoM on 09:33 - Dec 17 with 5267 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 09:25 - Dec 17 by Mullet

The TWTD MOM award is about as accurate a Britain First rant. It's always full of bizarre scores before the players are out of the changing room.

Ah. So over 24 games your fellow posters are clueless. Over a game you may be correct. Over half a season I doubt it. I ain’t making this sh1t up you know. There is no MoM scoring conspiracy.
MoM on 09:36 - Dec 17 with 5264 viewsPJH

As has been frequently said the TWTD ratings are largely a nonsense and not to be taken as anything like a reflection of individual performances.

On the possession point I am sure that Reading supporters today are saying:-

"Yes I know that we did not get a point or a goal or make their keeper make a save but we had 73% of the possession so we are delighted".
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 9:44]
MoM on 09:37 - Dec 17 with 5255 viewsMullet

MoM on 09:33 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

Ah. So over 24 games your fellow posters are clueless. Over a game you may be correct. Over half a season I doubt it. I ain’t making this sh1t up you know. There is no MoM scoring conspiracy.

Who uses the MOM button on here? That only works if you ignore what I wrote (as you did with the question oddly) and assume everybody votes on it, or even a sizeable proportion.

Are you telling me when Skuse, Chambers et al. are getting 3's and 4's it's because they deserve them?

MoM on 09:44 - Dec 17 with 5218 viewsMullet

MoM on 09:36 - Dec 17 by PJH

As has been frequently said the TWTD ratings are largely a nonsense and not to be taken as anything like a reflection of individual performances.

"Yes I know that we did not get a point or a goal or make their keeper make a save but we had 73% of the possession so we are delighted".

Yeah but, you're wrong and calling us all clueless.

MoM on 09:53 - Dec 17 with 5181 viewstractorshark

MoM on 09:33 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

You’re right, there is no hidden conspiracy.
It’s just ruined by imbeciles with a perfectly visible agenda.
Bart’s great and deserves high marks.
But if Chambers or Skuse play well, they’ll still get a 5 or lower because they’re McCarthy men.
Waghorn has been the player of the season so far.
Login to get fewer ads

MoM on 09:53 - Dec 17 with 5176 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 09:37 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Who uses the MOM button on here? That only works if you ignore what I wrote (as you did with the question oddly) and assume everybody votes on it, or even a sizeable proportion.

Are you telling me when Skuse, Chambers et al. are getting 3's and 4's it's because they deserve them?

No they probably don’t. I cannot remember either of them having a poor game this season. Some people have an agenda about those two and others. I am not a massive fan of Cole, but that is because I think he is limited when we have the ball, but I also think he has been better this season. Significantly.

But the MoM is about the average rating of all who vote and the best player. Whilst acknowledging that Chamb9 and Skuse may possibly have fared better, I don’t think anybody has an agenda with our attacking players. Yet they don’t get to take the MoM award (if you will). And if those two had fared better and won a MoM award, that would be just another defensive player taking it.

Regarding your question. Of course the percentage of possession is irrelevant against the number of goals scored, and I am very happy with the result yesterday. But not the manner of the performance or the way we set out to play. Dull. Two games at home in a row, we’ve won them both, but hardly looked entertaining. If we can retain the ball more and fashion the same ratio of chances with more possession (say 45%, which would still not be good but it would be better), then I think people might start to drift back. They wan5 to see GOOD football.

I’ve found some further stats which I will share in a minute.
MoM on 10:04 - Dec 17 with 5150 viewspowinswitch

I’m not looking at this as a Reading fan. They are a dull toothless team, and I wouldnt want to watch them. We won, and I am happy with that. But we are not entertaining, and it is clear tha5 thousands have drifted away, in my opinion, because they find McCarthys football to be dull.
MoM on 10:21 - Dec 17 with 5127 viewsMullet

MoM on 09:53 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

No they probably don’t. I cannot remember either of them having a poor game this season. Some people have an agenda about those two and others. I am not a massive fan of Cole, but that is because I think he is limited when we have the ball, but I also think he has been better this season. Significantly.

But the MoM is about the average rating of all who vote and the best player. Whilst acknowledging that Chamb9 and Skuse may possibly have fared better, I don’t think anybody has an agenda with our attacking players. Yet they don’t get to take the MoM award (if you will). And if those two had fared better and won a MoM award, that would be just another defensive player taking it.

Regarding your question. Of course the percentage of possession is irrelevant against the number of goals scored, and I am very happy with the result yesterday. But not the manner of the performance or the way we set out to play. Dull. Two games at home in a row, we’ve won them both, but hardly looked entertaining. If we can retain the ball more and fashion the same ratio of chances with more possession (say 45%, which would still not be good but it would be better), then I think people might start to drift back. They wan5 to see GOOD football.

I have never gone away from a victory lamenting a missed pass, or returned from a defeat buzzing because we passed our way into their box.

These people are just the same ones that constantly slated "sideways Jim" and Burley for not employing the "get it forward" mentality for most of the 90's.

People have painted themselves in a corner with Mick and a handful will remain there no matter what he serves up. If we make anything near the top six in march plenty will quietly slink out of it.

MoM on 10:37 - Dec 17 with 5100 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 10:21 - Dec 17 by Mullet

I have never gone away from a victory lamenting a missed pass, or returned from a defeat buzzing because we passed our way into their box.

These people are just the same ones that constantly slated "sideways Jim" and Burley for not employing the "get it forward" mentality for most of the 90's.

People have painted themselves in a corner with Mick and a handful will remain there no matter what he serves up. If we make anything near the top six in march plenty will quietly slink out of it.

We all see things differently and everybody is entitled to their opinion. I will continue to atttend, and will be at Molyneux on Saturday. But I am not at all happy with Mick’s philosophy, his style or our performances in most matches. What I find most frustrating is that like you who are more positive towards the manager, I think he could be the right man for the job. I think he has injected a tremendous team spirit. He has accumulated some excellent players and done wonders with virtuall6 nothing in the transfer market. I genuinely believe we have a top 6squad. I would be happy for us to play like yesterday at Wolves next week, and when we have tough away fixtures at your Leeds, Derby, Villa etc. But not at home as often as we do. Mick and we can do better.
MoM on 11:26 - Dec 17 with 5040 viewsHerbivore

I wouldn't pay any attention to the MoM on here to be honest, half the people at least who do the ratings haven't been at the game. I'm struggling to think of any games I've been at where Bart has been our best player so for him to have 13 MoMs is just plain silly. People have their biases. I also don't remotely agree that our football is dour and not entertaining, we play some really good attacking stuff. Could've had more goals yesterday for sure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

MoM on 11:27 - Dec 17 with 5041 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

MoM on 12:09 - Dec 17 with 4987 viewsHerbivore

MoM on 09:53 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

Define what you mean by entertaining on the basis that you don't think our last two home games - which we've won by a combined score of 6-2 - have been entertaining. I'm really struggling to see how someone could describe us as being 'dull' in our last two home games.

MoM on 14:19 - Dec 17 with 4925 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 12:09 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

Define what you mean by entertaining on the basis that you don't think our last two home games - which we've won by a combined score of 6-2 - have been entertaining. I'm really struggling to see how someone could describe us as being 'dull' in our last two home games.

What I mean is that you cannot entertain when you don’t have the ball. There is no potential to be creative when you don’t have the ball. I remember the Brentford game. That was a game I enjoyed, because unlike against Forest and Reading, I felt we were playing a side who were better than us. They had 22 shots to our 5, but I was extremely proud of our battling performance that day. Every man was an emperor throwing themselves into blocks, tackles etc. It was great.

I didn’t rate either Reading or Forest, who were quite powderpuff on the ball. Yesterday I didn5 think we were going to concede at all. Mick is happy to conceded possession. I don’t doubt that it is prov8ng effective. I just think it’s awful at home. And I happen to believe that’s why significant numbers of fans have gone. Cos it’s dull. Away nex5 week would be fine, because coming away from Molyneux with anyth8ng will be a bonus. But at home. Not for me. It’s not the way Sir Bobby ever set us up to play.
MoM on 14:22 - Dec 17 with 4920 viewsSomethingBlue

MoM on 14:19 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

What I mean is that you cannot entertain when you don’t have the ball. There is no potential to be creative when you don’t have the ball. I remember the Brentford game. That was a game I enjoyed, because unlike against Forest and Reading, I felt we were playing a side who were better than us. They had 22 shots to our 5, but I was extremely proud of our battling performance that day. Every man was an emperor throwing themselves into blocks, tackles etc. It was great.

I didn’t rate either Reading or Forest, who were quite powderpuff on the ball. Yesterday I didn5 think we were going to concede at all. Mick is happy to conceded possession. I don’t doubt that it is prov8ng effective. I just think it’s awful at home. And I happen to believe that’s why significant numbers of fans have gone. Cos it’s dull. Away nex5 week would be fine, because coming away from Molyneux with anyth8ng will be a bonus. But at home. Not for me. It’s not the way Sir Bobby ever set us up to play.

We must hold the days of Sir Bobby in the highest possible reverence - but we existed before then and we have existed since then, too. I'd rather work within our present reality than obsess over something wonderful that cannot be recreated.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

MoM on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 4913 viewsFreddies_Ears

MoM on 09:25 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Sorry, accidentally downarrowed you. Agree 100%.
MoM on 14:25 - Dec 17 with 4907 viewsHerbivore

I just can't agree with your take on it. We created tons of chances against Forest and again yesterday we could have easily scored more goals. Forest and Reading both play possession football, we let them keep the ball to a point but then pressed well and got the ball from them and we were then quick and incisive in our own play. I'd rather play with intent and see us creating chances and scoring goals than keeping the ball purely for the sake of keeping the ball. It's interesting that you were happy with the Brentford performance, in the circumstances it was a very good win but the performance was far inferior to the performances in our last two home games.

MoM on 14:26 - Dec 17 with 4904 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 14:22 - Dec 17 by SomethingBlue

We must hold the days of Sir Bobby in the highest possible reverence - but we existed before then and we have existed since then, too. I'd rather work within our present reality than obsess over something wonderful that cannot be recreated.

Ok. Joe Royle, Jim Magilton and George Burley’s eras then.
MoM on 14:38 - Dec 17 with 4889 viewsstantheman

I for 1 appreciate all what goes on in a game, whether it's witnessing a worldy or defensive blocks and work rate in midfield. It is the game as a whole which I enjoy not just the pretty passing etc. I have been pleasantly surprised by the increase in attacking intent this season but then again we have better players to implement that. Yes, last season was hard work sometimes but 80% of the games this season have been very enjoyable. I was wavering about renewing but now I am pleased I stuck with my team again.
MoM on 14:42 - Dec 17 with 4875 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 14:25 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

I just can't agree with your take on it. We created tons of chances against Forest and again yesterday we could have easily scored more goals. Forest and Reading both play possession football, we let them keep the ball to a point but then pressed well and got the ball from them and we were then quick and incisive in our own play. I'd rather play with intent and see us creating chances and scoring goals than keeping the ball purely for the sake of keeping the ball. It's interesting that you were happy with the Brentford performance, in the circumstances it was a very good win but the performance was far inferior to the performances in our last two home games.

I agree the thrust of your las5 sentence. I enjoyed a great defensive performance and the win against what I felt was a good side - better than us. Mick seems to believe they all are.
MoM on 14:44 - Dec 17 with 4867 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 14:38 - Dec 17 by stantheman

I for 1 appreciate all what goes on in a game, whether it's witnessing a worldy or defensive blocks and work rate in midfield. It is the game as a whole which I enjoy not just the pretty passing etc. I have been pleasantly surprised by the increase in attacking intent this season but then again we have better players to implement that. Yes, last season was hard work sometimes but 80% of the games this season have been very enjoyable. I was wavering about renewing but now I am pleased I stuck with my team again.

I’m pleased for you Stan - genuinely. The issue is that I think significantly more don’t agree and have jacked it in. We cannot sustain our current level of losses forever, and need more fans to attend. I don’t think mick’s style is helping there
MoM on 14:47 - Dec 17 with 4864 viewsHerbivore

MoM on 14:42 - Dec 17 by powinswitch

I agree the thrust of your las5 sentence. I enjoyed a great defensive performance and the win against what I felt was a good side - better than us. Mick seems to believe they all are.

I don't think Brentford are any better than Reading or Forest to be honest, when we played them they'd yet to win a game all season too. We beat Forest and Reading more comfortably than we beat Brentford because we are now playing better.

MoM on 14:56 - Dec 17 with 4848 viewspowinswitch

MoM on 14:47 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

I don't think Brentford are any better than Reading or Forest to be honest, when we played them they'd yet to win a game all season too. We beat Forest and Reading more comfortably than we beat Brentford because we are now playing better.

The table suggests they are much of a muchness, but I th8nk if we sat down and wa5ched the three games again on TV we would see that Brentford dominated us in terms of possession and creating real chances - which we blocked etc through Herculean effort. Reading were rubbish. Forest not a great deal better. The6 were quite fortunate to score their two.

It is ironic that we won the last two games by a combined 6-2 but I don’t find it entertaining. But it is wha5 I feel
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024