Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance 09:17 - Dec 17 with 56607 viewsBrixtonBlue

The football lasts two hours. You can go shopping before and after. Also most decent shops are open on Sunday as well.

Anyone who didn't attend yesterday because they were "Christmas shopping" needs to have a serious word with themselves.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:22 - Dec 17 with 12484 viewsBergholtBru

I think you`ll find attendances have dropped because of the poor quality on offer over the last fews seasons. Things might have bucked up a bit this season ( ffs they couldn`t get any worse ) but it takes far longer to win fans back than to lose them. It`s ME that needs to have a word with himself. Not the absent fans.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:26 - Dec 17 with 12468 viewsBenters2

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:22 - Dec 17 by BergholtBru

I think you`ll find attendances have dropped because of the poor quality on offer over the last fews seasons. Things might have bucked up a bit this season ( ffs they couldn`t get any worse ) but it takes far longer to win fans back than to lose them. It`s ME that needs to have a word with himself. Not the absent fans.

This.
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:29 - Dec 17 with 12463 viewsbrogansnose

Christmas shopping is a complete and utter nightmare and football is a refuge from High Street Hell.
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:29 - Dec 17 with 12463 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:22 - Dec 17 by BergholtBru

I'm specifically talking about yesterday's attendance.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:49 - Dec 17 with 12428 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's why I went yesterday......Mrs and miss Slave go shopping I go to footie (a win win). I have to say though it was bloomin quiet in there yesterday which reduces the whole experience. It's all a bit self fulfilling as an outcome and will be difficult to reverse the downward attendance trend.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:52 - Dec 17 with 12422 viewsgtsb1966

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:29 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

I'm specifically talking about yesterday's attendance.

Just maybe there are some people with young families who are on a low income and prioritise their kids Xmas over football.
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:56 - Dec 17 with 12412 viewsSarge

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:52 - Dec 17 by gtsb1966

Just maybe there are some people with young families who are on a low income and prioritise their kids Xmas over football.

Where were all the ST's though? Upper tiers of SAR and SBR were patchier than a 17 year old's beard.
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:00 - Dec 17 with 12393 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:52 - Dec 17 by gtsb1966

What's that got to do with Christmas shopping (which is what the OP is about)?

Login to get fewer ads

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:04 - Dec 17 with 12381 viewsBenters2

Is that allowed?
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:17 - Dec 17 with 12373 viewsChe

Plenty of empty spaces at all the grounds yesterday noticing lots at premier games also, maybe people are finding it difficult to find the money?
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:34 - Dec 17 with 12337 viewsBenters2

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 09:56 - Dec 17 by Sarge

Where were all the ST's though? Upper tiers of SAR and SBR were patchier than a 17 year old's beard.

There are under 10k season ticket holders.

530 ish Reading fans .

3000 people payed on the gate or pre purchased tickets thats the surprising part for me.

Sadly the stadium looks great rammed like at the Nodge PO game, but crap when there are 17'000 empty seats.
I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 12335 viewsNewcyBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:00 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

What's that got to do with Christmas shopping (which is what the OP is about)?

Everything....

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:43 - Dec 17 with 12313 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:35 - Dec 17 by NewcyBlue

Everything....

A good point, well made!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:58 - Dec 17 with 12299 viewsclive_baker

I think it’s a myth that attendances are dropping because of Mick. Our poor season last year was a factor, but it wasn’t the only one. Retaining existing customers is easier than attracting new or lapsed ones, and the club hasn’t done it well enough. Once a season ticket is given up, people tend to fill their time doing something else, and the habitual visits to Portman Road are replaced. The club needs to offer something compelling to attract these and new fans back. It starts on the pitch but if we’re still playing like we are at the moment into the new year and still getting 15,000 there it’s clearly not the only issue. I would like to see the club address pricing properly for next season, looking after the 60+ category and the U18’s. As the for those in the middle, of which I and most of us here probably are, current season ticket prices are too punchy, particularly relative to other clubs at this level. I would like the club to be a bit inventive next season, something along the lines of a base price, with a rebate of a certain target is hit. eg. £400 but if the club hits 18,000 then a £100 rebate bringing it down to £300 or £13 per game. I’ve not done the maths / modelling and can’t really be arsed in my hungover state but something like that incentivises people to get in their mates ears and get them along. No disrespect to the PR ‘machine’ at PR but it’s pretty lame. The biggest asset is the 12,000 base of season ticket holders. If every other 1 can get a mate, brother, sister, parent, colleague along we would hit that magic number.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 11:01 - Dec 17 with 12290 viewsTractorWood

Have to think of anyone travelling from outside Ipswich. Reading at home in freezing temperatures in an ostensibly nothing game is an easy one to miss.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 11:09 - Dec 17 with 12274 viewsBinner

Things could get a lot worse.

If we were struggling near the foot of the table, or if we were to drop to League 1...

Luckily we have McCarthy...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:10 - Dec 17 with 12218 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 10:35 - Dec 17 by NewcyBlue

Everything....

But the OP is specifically about people who went Christmas shopping rather than to the game.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:14 - Dec 17 with 12206 viewsNewcyBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:10 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

But the OP is specifically about people who went Christmas shopping rather than to the game.

gtsb mentioned people prioritising their kids over Christmas. Hence being out spending their money on their kids' Christmas presents on a Saturday instead of going to the football.

People may have family commitments on Sundays and only get a chance to do their shopping on a Saturday.

It's an odd thing to get upset about Dollers...

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:23 - Dec 17 with 12193 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 11:01 - Dec 17 by TractorWood

Have to think of anyone travelling from outside Ipswich. Reading at home in freezing temperatures in an ostensibly nothing game is an easy one to miss.

How is it a nothing game? We're two points off the play offs.

I travelled from Brixton in south London. Not an excuse.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:25 - Dec 17 with 12186 viewsRyorry

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:23 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

"How is it a nothing game? We're two points off the play offs. "

With more than half the season still to go ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:26 - Dec 17 with 12185 viewsNewcyBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:23 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

People have different priorities Dolly. I'd rather encourage fathers to spend money on their kids than go to the football.

Yesterday Seb and I went to the local Soft Play Area, he was wearing an Ipswich t-shirt. We played football in there and he said he wanted to be a "tractor boy". Good lad.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:32 - Dec 17 with 12175 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:14 - Dec 17 by NewcyBlue

gtsb mentioned people prioritising their kids over Christmas. Hence being out spending their money on their kids' Christmas presents on a Saturday instead of going to the football.

People may have family commitments on Sundays and only get a chance to do their shopping on a Saturday.

It's an odd thing to get upset about Dollers...

gtsb was talking about young families on low incomes. That has nothing to do with what I'm posting about. I'm talking about the time (spending it shopping rather than at football).

If people aren't going because they can't afford it (they need to spend money on Xmas presents) then fair enough. But that's an entirely different argument.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:33 - Dec 17 with 12171 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:25 - Dec 17 by Ryorry

"How is it a nothing game? We're two points off the play offs. "

With more than half the season still to go ...

Nevertheless, it's not a "nothing" game is it? A nothing game is when you can't go up or down.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:35 - Dec 17 with 12167 viewsNewcyBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:32 - Dec 17 by BrixtonBlue

gtsb was talking about young families on low incomes. That has nothing to do with what I'm posting about. I'm talking about the time (spending it shopping rather than at football).

If people aren't going because they can't afford it (they need to spend money on Xmas presents) then fair enough. But that's an entirely different argument.

Ah, moving the goal posts from your OP of anyone shopping for Xmas presents...

Come on Dollers, you're arguing for the sake of it now.

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:37 - Dec 17 with 12160 viewsBrixtonBlue

I don't get this 'Christmas shopping' excuse for the poor attendance on 12:26 - Dec 17 by NewcyBlue

People have different priorities Dolly. I'd rather encourage fathers to spend money on their kids than go to the football.

Yesterday Seb and I went to the local Soft Play Area, he was wearing an Ipswich t-shirt. We played football in there and he said he wanted to be a "tractor boy". Good lad.

FFS I'm not talking about people who can't afford to do both.

Why can't you, Ryorry and others in this thread read what I'm actually writing?!

I give up. This place is so bleeding exasperating at times.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024