Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... 09:20 - Dec 17 with 16882 viewsunstableblue

Are interesting.

The low crowds are a real concern.

Of the numerous ‘lapsed blues’ I know, I’d say 8 aren’t going to return unless we’ve got a new manager and are playing Bournemouth like football and are effectively out of reach. They were big fans, season ticket holders, but just lost the love of it. Another 6 saw a few games earlier in the season and are just not convinced on the entertainment YET. I sit in the remaining group of 4 who are virtual opiate level addicts. But are still only going to 50% of games if that. Keep this change up Mick, i.e. true attacking intent and energy, perhaps with a little more possession and it’s half season ticket party time!!!

It’s the middle group we need to get back, and that’s going to happen with perhaps the 30% rising to 45-50% and a couple of January additions of quality.

Yes you can bemoan these stay aways, but we need them back, and their return would boost the team and manager.

We have had the Brentford, Fulham, Bristol, Bolton, Norwich (second half) home games this season, lest we forget!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:33 - Dec 17 with 7980 viewsBrixtonBlue

More possession is pointless (quite literally) if you don't do anything with it. Yesterday was the perfect example of that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:38 - Dec 17 with 7971 viewsRegencyBlue

It’s taken ten years to bring us to where we are today crowd wise. The same period of Evans ownership and no coincidence in my view.

The MM style of play hasn’t helped but I think the way the club has been run by the Evans regime has turned a lot of people away from the club and once the habit is broken it may never come back!
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:43 - Dec 17 with 7939 viewsMullet

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:38 - Dec 17 by RegencyBlue

It’s taken ten years to bring us to where we are today crowd wise. The same period of Evans ownership and no coincidence in my view.

The MM style of play hasn’t helped but I think the way the club has been run by the Evans regime has turned a lot of people away from the club and once the habit is broken it may never come back!

It's more the fact he employed the worst manager in living memory right after Keane. No playoffs for years followed by Mick being so good has been the undoing of those floaters.

You can see that by the reaction of some to finishing 7th the season after.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:44 - Dec 17 with 7939 viewstractorboy1978

I don't see there is much value at all in having a season ticket at the moment as a former SBRL ST holder. Before you even think about the football on offer, I mentioned on another thread yesterday that I can go to 19 games without being out of pocket on a £423 season ticket (if you factor in the 4 x £10 deals throughout the season). I gave it up with quite a heavy heart this year but I can't say I have regretted the decision - I've been to 6 of the 11 home games and agree it has been a lot better this season but cannot say I feel I've missed out as much as I thought I might.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:50 - Dec 17 with 7895 viewscrunchie1978

The whole match day experience is c##p....catering is awful...no incentive to get young fans in...awful tent on practice pitch....stadium in sorry state of affair...you can't give tickers away at the moment.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:09 - Dec 17 with 7852 viewsunstableblue

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:50 - Dec 17 by crunchie1978

The whole match day experience is c##p....catering is awful...no incentive to get young fans in...awful tent on practice pitch....stadium in sorry state of affair...you can't give tickers away at the moment.

Haven't you tasted the chicken balti pies?? they are the MATCHDAY EXPERIENCE!!

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:13 - Dec 17 with 7844 viewsnshearman1

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:43 - Dec 17 by Mullet

It's more the fact he employed the worst manager in living memory right after Keane. No playoffs for years followed by Mick being so good has been the undoing of those floaters.

The worst manager in living memory WAS Keane. Closely followed by Jewell. Totally agree with Regency.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:17 - Dec 17 with 7819 viewsMullet

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:13 - Dec 17 by nshearman1

The worst manager in living memory WAS Keane. Closely followed by Jewell. Totally agree with Regency.

Only if you're harsh enough to accept Jewell didn't do any managing.

We owned about 8 players when Mick took over. If he'd have left him a squad we wouldn't be making up so much ground still.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:31 - Dec 17 with 7790 viewsArnieM

The big OG by the Club was putting up the prices of those hard core long standing fans , who had been on concession rates , some for several years, but then suddenly no longer “ qualifying” . That essentially was s massive slap in the face for people who had supported the Club for decades. Unbelievable action by the “ business” minded powers that be at Ipswich Town FC.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:13 - Dec 17 with 7715 viewsstrikalite

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:31 - Dec 17 by ArnieM

The big OG by the Club was putting up the prices of those hard core long standing fans , who had been on concession rates , some for several years, but then suddenly no longer “ qualifying” . That essentially was s massive slap in the face for people who had supported the Club for decades. Unbelievable action by the “ business” minded powers that be at Ipswich Town FC.

Agree, once you've lost supporters it's damn hard to lure them back, for those that want to choose their games in doing so are no doubt put off by paying Premier League match day prices for their original second division ST prices working out at around twenty quid or less...

Once fans have their mind set on "it's rubbish" then you need huge incentives to balance that out in terms of value in the pocket to at least get them giving it another go..
Utterly stupid, that on 11:17 - Dec 17 with 7711 viewsDyland

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 10:31 - Dec 17 by ArnieM

They should have changed it for new STs only and kept existing holders between 60 and 65 on the concession rate as long as they renewed each year.

A spectacular own goal and slightly worrying that they'd think it wouldn't result in anything other than lower revenue.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:41 - Dec 17 with 7642 viewshammo56

I didn't renew my season ticket due to the fact that i was one of those in the 60-64 age group affected by the club change of policy for the senior concession.
Having followed the team since moving to the area in 1972 and being a shareholder I felt totally let down by this decision. I must admit I thought I would really miss attending Portman Road on a regular basis especially as I had got to know and made many friends with people over the years.
However, I have to say I have not missed it nearly as much as I thought I would. I have been to a couple of home and away games this season and will be at Portman Road on Boxing Day and at Fulham on the 2nd January.
Would I consider purchasing a season ticket in the future? Tbh I'm not sure I would now as I'm quite happy attending on the occasional basis.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:48 - Dec 17 with 7625 viewshadleighboyblue

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:38 - Dec 17 by RegencyBlue

Agree the club has been on a downward spiral for a long time and after a number of years doubting whether they would renew ST's , a lot of fans have been lost .

One of the big problems is the way the club fails to communicate with the fans . The owner makes no effort to communicate with the fans , Milne doesn't come across well and the manager doesn't help with his comments , so a lot of fans have fallen out of love with the club.

The taking back of the 60+ concession was a massive mistake by the club and lost the club a lot of long term fans .

A number of people I know said they wouldn't renew their ST's as long as MM was manager , unfortunately even though things are a lot better this year , those fans are lost for now at least .

The team on the pitch are doing their best to win back the fans and to be fair you have to give MM credit for the improvements this year with some very good signings .

I really enjoyed the match yesterday thought the team did the business , but the stay away fans need more to encourage them back
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:50 - Dec 17 with 7620 viewsunstableblue

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:41 - Dec 17 by hammo56

I didn't renew my season ticket due to the fact that i was one of those in the 60-64 age group affected by the club change of policy for the senior concession.
Having followed the team since moving to the area in 1972 and being a shareholder I felt totally let down by this decision. I must admit I thought I would really miss attending Portman Road on a regular basis especially as I had got to know and made many friends with people over the years.
However, I have to say I have not missed it nearly as much as I thought I would. I have been to a couple of home and away games this season and will be at Portman Road on Boxing Day and at Fulham on the 2nd January.
Would I consider purchasing a season ticket in the future? Tbh I'm not sure I would now as I'm quite happy attending on the occasional basis.

I'll be at Fulham away always fun by the Thames. And a reason to break all new years resolution early.

Do you think if the crowd was 24k, singing, and we were attacking maybe twice as much as these improved performances you'd still only want to go occasionally?

Its the youth we need to get through the door, and speaking of my son and his mates, its all about a good atmosphere, and attempts on goal. They haven't any of the reserve of Robson and Burley that so many of us have (anyone who thinks Mick's good season was one to draw the crowds back is a little deluded).

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:04 - Dec 17 with 7570 viewsHerbivore

Why is everyone so obsessed with the crowd and since when has it been in the manager's remit to boost attendances?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:10 - Dec 17 with 7556 viewsPJH

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:04 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

Why is everyone so obsessed with the crowd and since when has it been in the manager's remit to boost attendances?

I would think any managers main remit is to win football matches and our manager is doing not too badly at that at the moment.
If we continue to win 50% of our games (or better) for the rest of the season and throw in a handful of draws we should be very close to the top 6-achieve that and a draw and two wins
thereafter would be perfect.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:17 - Dec 17 with 7535 viewsHerbivore

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:10 - Dec 17 by PJH

I would think any managers main remit is to win football matches and our manager is doing not too badly at that at the moment.
If we continue to win 50% of our games (or better) for the rest of the season and throw in a handful of draws we should be very close to the top 6-achieve that and a draw and two wins
thereafter would be perfect.

Agreed. It's rather telling that the people now obsessed with crowds are the most vocal Mick outers and, ironically, they're fans who are no longer regularly attending themselves. When things are going well on the pitch I guess they need to find something else to complain about.

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:22 - Dec 17 with 7521 viewsBenters2

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:04 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

Well he did a good job boring people last season and making them stay away this season.

I know people who didnt renew just cherry pick the games they want to go to.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:30 - Dec 17 with 7509 viewshammo56

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 11:50 - Dec 17 by unstableblue

I'll be at Fulham away always fun by the Thames. And a reason to break all new years resolution early.

Do you think if the crowd was 24k, singing, and we were attacking maybe twice as much as these improved performances you'd still only want to go occasionally?

Its the youth we need to get through the door, and speaking of my son and his mates, its all about a good atmosphere, and attempts on goal. They haven't any of the reserve of Robson and Burley that so many of us have (anyone who thinks Mick's good season was one to draw the crowds back is a little deluded).

If you had asked me that question at the start of the season then I would have probably said yes.
Now I am quite happy going occasionally and I really don't think that will change whether performances or attendances improve. Don't get me wrong ITFC will always be in my blood, even yesterday I was around friends who I hadn't seen for about a year and when I checked the result I was delighted to see we had won.
Totally agree with your comment about getting youth through the door but that is going to be easier said than done.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:45 - Dec 17 with 7483 viewsHerbivore

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:22 - Dec 17 by Benters2

Well he did a good job boring people last season and making them stay away this season.

Good for them.

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:57 - Dec 17 with 7472 viewsWestSussexBlue

There will of course be stay away fans, supporters that purposely avoid going while maybe a. MM is in charge or b. ME owns the club.
However what I do think is that as a whole Ipswich Town is not generating new young fans for obvious reasons. We are a mid table championship club and unless you are a youngster living in the Town, Ipswich is not a team you’d automatically choose.
On top of that many of us from better times have grown up, moved away and have sons of our own ( & daughters) which have to take priority over a trip to PR.
I’m not a stay away fan by any means but cost of travel, match ticket pie and a pint make it a very expensive day with my own family.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 13:06 - Dec 17 with 7444 viewslongtimefan

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 12:22 - Dec 17 by Benters2

I’m beginning to think I must be very sad.... I look forward to every game and start getting excited mid-week. Have done since the 70s and will do so till I drop, regardless of Manager, league etc.
Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 13:10 - Dec 17 with 7437 viewsStokieBlue

Obviously it's been a culmination of things over the last few years but we always get a good attendance on Boxing Day and unfortunately last year against Fulham was perhaps the worst Ipswich performance for 20 years and could have tipped a lot of people who were waivering over the edge.

Things are looking much better this season though so if the pricing is right and the games are good people will come back. We are heading in the right direction for that.

SB
[Post edited 17 Dec 2017 13:12]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 13:10 - Dec 17 with 7438 viewsPlums

I suspect many are similar to me:
Don’t live in Suffolk and go to the occasional away game. In my small sample, I haven’t seen a decent away performance in anything other than a dead rubber for about 4 years. This year, I have only been to Burton which was rubbish, despite an exciting Celina cameo.
I have seen nothing in that time to motivate me to spend 3+ hours in the car and pay premier league prices (I have seen both Champions League and PL fixtures this season for less than it costs to get in the SBR) to get to PR to risk watching the same garbage that I’ve witnessed on our travels.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 13:27 - Dec 17 with 7407 viewsyorkshire

Mick’s comments on getting the fans back.... on 09:43 - Dec 17 by Mullet

Mick probably isn't even in the top 5 of worst managers that I have seen

Keane, Jewell, Duncan, Ferguson were all worse and then Mick and Magic probably close for that 5th spot

You could also turn that around and say he is the 4th/5th best manager we have had in the last 35 years
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024