Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hate BT... 15:53 - Dec 21 with 9649 viewssparks

Has the proper separation between Openreach and BT happened yet? Service still seems awful.

3 weeks ago now, our fibre broadband speed (after weeks of drop outs) dropped one morning to 1.5mbps. Its been like that ever since.

After various investigations, my ISP arranged for a BT engineer who came yesterday. We have had to agree to pay £160 if the issue is (in their view) not BT's side of the socket. We've had to take time off work to be in because the slots they offer are weekdays only- between 8 and 1 or 1-6. They dont offer to pay OUR costs for time off, when it turns out to be their fault...

Engineer tells the wife yesterday there is nothing wrong. Claims he gets a 20mbps connection from the master socket and the problem must be that we;ve had the router on an extension. In fact, I put it through the master socket for several days as a test before the engineer was called, with no improvement....

So having spoken to the ISP this morning, theyir view was that if BT are getting that through the master socket, the next problem must be the router. Its an 18 month old £100+ piece of kit but hey ho, off I go to Argos to buy a new router.

Connect it all up and guess what... Line is still synchronising at less than 2Mbps, through the master socket, with a new router. No change. No improvement.

My ISP's comment this afternoon was that the engineer was either entirely incompetent or lying...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I hate BT... on 16:04 - Dec 21 with 6597 viewsconnorscontract

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/

Go for it Bully! It's "like a dog with a bone" time!
I hate BT... on 16:11 - Dec 21 with 6581 viewshype313

My daily occurrence is dealing with Openreach, which as you can imagine is the bain of my life.

You have to be careful with Openreach as they tend to use Kelly Communications and those engineers are even worse. In your instance it's generally an issue at the cabinet or with the PSTN line, which falls under BT's domain and their cost. However, as you have experience they bend the truth and we have daily battles with them.

Openreach are terrible, a non for profit organisation that doesn't have to justify itself to shareholders, still has a public sector attitude, truly awful.

Ofcom had an opportunity and bottled it, but I believe the split is happening and Openreach will be it's own entity and accountable which should help.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I hate BT... on 16:13 - Dec 21 with 6579 viewseireblue

I hate BT... on 16:04 - Dec 21 by connorscontract

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/

Go for it Bully! It's "like a dog with a bone" time!

Skip that.

Go to

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

I had an issue that went on for over 6 months.

Was sorted in about three days after a polite email to the CEO.
I hate BT... on 16:14 - Dec 21 with 6575 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:13 - Dec 21 by eireblue

Skip that.

Go to

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com

I had an issue that went on for over 6 months.

Was sorted in about three days after a polite email to the CEO.

Thank you- Ill keep that handy.

Happily I have a small boutique ISP who are hopefully going to press matters forward robustly

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

I hate BT... on 16:17 - Dec 21 with 6566 viewsBasuco

ISP's frequently throttle customers broadband connections the BT engineer looks at the maximum possible connection speeds to your property, who is your ISP? Talk talk are the worst for slow broadband closely followed by Plusnet. If it was an actual BT employed engineer he would have shown your wife his tester to confirm what he told her. I would guess it is 99% certain your ISP is at fault and it will "magically" speed up in a day or two.
I hate BT... on 16:19 - Dec 21 with 6559 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:11 - Dec 21 by hype313

My daily occurrence is dealing with Openreach, which as you can imagine is the bain of my life.

You have to be careful with Openreach as they tend to use Kelly Communications and those engineers are even worse. In your instance it's generally an issue at the cabinet or with the PSTN line, which falls under BT's domain and their cost. However, as you have experience they bend the truth and we have daily battles with them.

Openreach are terrible, a non for profit organisation that doesn't have to justify itself to shareholders, still has a public sector attitude, truly awful.

Ofcom had an opportunity and bottled it, but I believe the split is happening and Openreach will be it's own entity and accountable which should help.

The engineer told my wife that our internal wiring was poor ("alarm wire") and that they could rewire the poor wiring coming into our house for a charge. As my ISP has confirmed, the responsibility is theirs not ours if its that side of the master socket....

I hate BT... on 16:20 - Dec 21 with 6554 viewsBasuco

I hate BT... on 16:11 - Dec 21 by hype313

If it is a line fault you will get noise on a voice call, if you pick up the handset dial a single digit and listen and all is quite get back on to your ISP, it will be their issue.
I hate BT... on 16:21 - Dec 21 with 6556 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:17 - Dec 21 by Basuco

ISP's frequently throttle customers broadband connections the BT engineer looks at the maximum possible connection speeds to your property, who is your ISP? Talk talk are the worst for slow broadband closely followed by Plusnet. If it was an actual BT employed engineer he would have shown your wife his tester to confirm what he told her. I would guess it is 99% certain your ISP is at fault and it will "magically" speed up in a day or two.

Not the ISP. Its the sync speed and my ISP is not one of those lousy ones which throttles.

I left those shysters behind years ago and still feel like spitting whenever I hear the words "tiscali" or "talk talk".

Login to get fewer ads

I hate BT... on 16:22 - Dec 21 with 6545 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:20 - Dec 21 by Basuco

If it is a line fault you will get noise on a voice call, if you pick up the handset dial a single digit and listen and all is quite get back on to your ISP, it will be their issue.

We have always had lots of noise on our line... They dont do anything about that either.

However, it didnt previously affect the fibre broadband - which ran fine at a fairly poor 12Mbps for the last 18 months.

I hate BT... on 16:23 - Dec 21 with 6542 viewsDarkHorse

Switch providers then.

Virgin
I hate BT... on 16:25 - Dec 21 with 6543 viewsBasuco

I hate BT... on 16:19 - Dec 21 by sparks

The engineer told my wife that our internal wiring was poor ("alarm wire") and that they could rewire the poor wiring coming into our house for a charge. As my ISP has confirmed, the responsibility is theirs not ours if its that side of the master socket....

If possible get the first socket as the line comes into the house changed for one with a filter built in it, it has the line one side and broadband on the other that means your broadband signal does not go round the entire house and is stronger, also it does not matter how good or bad your internal wiring is then. Plug the router in there, it worked for me anyway.
I hate BT... on 16:29 - Dec 21 with 6531 viewsBasuco

I hate BT... on 16:22 - Dec 21 by sparks

We have always had lots of noise on our line... They dont do anything about that either.

However, it didnt previously affect the fibre broadband - which ran fine at a fairly poor 12Mbps for the last 18 months.

You can thank Thatcher for preventing BT installing fibre into every home in the 80's, she stopped them doing it otherwise we would all now have fantastic broadband speed. We are now paying a heavy price for BT privatisation, cost wise and poor service.
I hate BT... on 16:30 - Dec 21 with 6529 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:25 - Dec 21 by Basuco

If possible get the first socket as the line comes into the house changed for one with a filter built in it, it has the line one side and broadband on the other that means your broadband signal does not go round the entire house and is stronger, also it does not matter how good or bad your internal wiring is then. Plug the router in there, it worked for me anyway.

They gave us a new faceplate with filter. Router is directly connected to it. No improvement.

I hate BT... on 16:46 - Dec 21 with 6500 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:23 - Dec 21 by DarkHorse

Switch providers then.

Virgin

Not available.

And SKY, for instance, use the BT network so no different.

I hate BT... on 16:50 - Dec 21 with 6488 viewsSwansea_Blue

They're not called Bloody Terrible for nothing!

I feel your pain, I hate stuff like this where it's a constant battle between organisations that control different parts of a system. It doesn't make life easier for customers.

Since we moved 3 years ago and can no longer get cable we have phone line/broadband issues constantly. BT/Open Reach calls are pretty much a monthly event.

We were with Virgin for 7 years before that and I had to call them once when the box broke.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I hate BT... on 17:18 - Dec 21 with 6463 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 16:29 - Dec 21 by Basuco

You can thank Thatcher for preventing BT installing fibre into every home in the 80's, she stopped them doing it otherwise we would all now have fantastic broadband speed. We are now paying a heavy price for BT privatisation, cost wise and poor service.

Im not buying that. The internet wasnt even a thing then.

I hate BT... on 17:29 - Dec 21 with 6452 viewsDanTheMan

It was very funny listening in when one of our tech ops guys from work was having awful service with his internet, did a full range of diagnostics basically proving it was them, shortly followed by basically the same nonsense you've gone through.

Took him a good few months to get it sorted.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I hate BT... on 17:34 - Dec 21 with 6448 viewsfarkenhell

Can you plug a laptop etc straight into the master socket, then check the speed? I.e. - bypass the router entirely? Should establish definitively whether or not the issue is router-related.

Better still, if you get the same crap speed with one device plugged into the master socket, then try with a second device. If slow on both, then surely BT/OR would take a second look.

For the speed check, use the one supplied by BT/Openreach.
I hate BT... on 17:37 - Dec 21 with 6439 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 17:34 - Dec 21 by farkenhell

Can you plug a laptop etc straight into the master socket, then check the speed? I.e. - bypass the router entirely? Should establish definitively whether or not the issue is router-related.

Better still, if you get the same crap speed with one device plugged into the master socket, then try with a second device. If slow on both, then surely BT/OR would take a second look.

For the speed check, use the one supplied by BT/Openreach.

I've got a new router... And plugged a laptop directly into it via ethernet cable to avoid any possibility of interference on the wifi.

The router status page confirmed the speed as < 2mb. As did speed tests.

I hate BT... on 18:02 - Dec 21 with 6421 viewsfarkenhell

I hate BT... on 17:37 - Dec 21 by sparks

I've got a new router... And plugged a laptop directly into it via ethernet cable to avoid any possibility of interference on the wifi.

The router status page confirmed the speed as < 2mb. As did speed tests.

Yes, I know you bought a new router. However, I mentioned it because I had a similar problem a year or so ago, albeit for me, it was my ISP who was initially frustrating to deal with. The ISP ran a diagnostic test and started to talk about issues with my router. I knew this was unlikely because I had already swapped to a mirror router, but not impossible. I therefore decided to take the router out of the scenario entirely. Tested with 2 devices plugged sequentially into the master socket with 2 different ethernet cables. Crap speed returned both times. Back to the ISP, who agreed to order a OR call out (with my having to agree to pay their fee if the issue was my side of the master socket). Turned out there was a problem with one of the cables in the cabinet.
I hate BT... on 18:13 - Dec 21 with 6413 viewsconnorscontract

I hate BT... on 17:18 - Dec 21 by sparks

Im not buying that. The internet wasnt even a thing then.

No, but digital exchanges were installed in the late 80's to replace the old clicky-rack mechanical exchanges, and fibre was available for digital voice calls.

The privatisation of BT certainly led to a dramatic reduction in skilled staff: thousands were pensioned off in their 50's and early 60's on hugely enhanced pensions.

The attempt to de-monopolise the communications industry which followed has left BT with less incentive to improve things than it might otherwise have had, perversely.

An industry which worked well and provided steady careers was decimated for ideological reasons, and loads of chancers have flirted with the marketplace since.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2017 18:15]
I hate BT... on 18:55 - Dec 21 with 6371 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 18:13 - Dec 21 by connorscontract

No, but digital exchanges were installed in the late 80's to replace the old clicky-rack mechanical exchanges, and fibre was available for digital voice calls.

The privatisation of BT certainly led to a dramatic reduction in skilled staff: thousands were pensioned off in their 50's and early 60's on hugely enhanced pensions.

The attempt to de-monopolise the communications industry which followed has left BT with less incentive to improve things than it might otherwise have had, perversely.

An industry which worked well and provided steady careers was decimated for ideological reasons, and loads of chancers have flirted with the marketplace since.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2017 18:15]

As with the railways, I dont think people remember quite how awful these companies used to be.

No better now I agree, but...

I hate BT... on 18:56 - Dec 21 with 6368 viewssparks

I hate BT... on 18:02 - Dec 21 by farkenhell

Yes, I know you bought a new router. However, I mentioned it because I had a similar problem a year or so ago, albeit for me, it was my ISP who was initially frustrating to deal with. The ISP ran a diagnostic test and started to talk about issues with my router. I knew this was unlikely because I had already swapped to a mirror router, but not impossible. I therefore decided to take the router out of the scenario entirely. Tested with 2 devices plugged sequentially into the master socket with 2 different ethernet cables. Crap speed returned both times. Back to the ISP, who agreed to order a OR call out (with my having to agree to pay their fee if the issue was my side of the master socket). Turned out there was a problem with one of the cables in the cabinet.

Noted- My ISP is a serious one with good service though, so it seems the less likely possibility by some distance.

I hate BT... on 20:02 - Dec 21 with 6322 viewslongtimefan

I hate BT... on 18:55 - Dec 21 by sparks

As with the railways, I dont think people remember quite how awful these companies used to be.

No better now I agree, but...

Indeed. I worked for the Post Office as it was then and did some training with 2 blokes who worker as phone installers. I say worked, well they did in the morning, in the afternoons one ran a car hire business and the other did double glazing fitting!!!
I hate BT... on 20:44 - Dec 21 with 6279 viewsjeera

Get on the phone, and, against perhaps your nature and even maybe your usual better judgement, scream loads and threaten all sorts of irrational legal action.

Tell them how you run your business from home and count on their service that they are contracted to provide and how they are now costing you all sorts of money.

Make as much fuss as you muster.

I know this isn't necessarily you.

But it works.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024