Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... 09:39 - Dec 24 with 4633 viewsclive_baker

He, rightly IMO, said if you had sat and watched that as a neutral, without any context of league position, transfer spend or wage budgets etc, you would’ve concluded that Wolves were the better side, had more of the chances and attacking intent and deserved the 3 points, and I don’t think anyone could argue with that. Having said that, when you then consider the relative fortunes of the clubs currently and the fact they had a £13m sub, they’re certainly not THAT much better than us. For that I think MM deserves real credit. Waghorn wasn’t quite at the races yesterday but we’ve got a proper footballer in him and I love watching him play. I have to say Ward was excellent, as was Connolly. We gave a decent account of ourselves and certainly didn’t park the bus. On another day we might’ve snatched something. Away to Wolves aren’t really the fixtures that are going to determine our season in fairness, but the next 2 might. We see out 2017 with 2 home matches against QPR and Derby and I’m going for an optimistic 6 points. I would take 4 right now, but 6 will leave us very well placed for a real push in the first few months of 2018.

COYB.

[Post edited 24 Dec 2017 9:42]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 09:46 - Dec 24 with 4552 viewsWarkystache

A wolves-supporting work colleague just left a message on my Facebook page saying something similar. Good game, but we were toothless up front and probably wouldn't have scored if we'd played all night.

He thinks we'll be mid-table as usual. We need a better striker, he reckons.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 09:53 - Dec 24 with 4495 viewsclive_baker

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 09:46 - Dec 24 by Warkystache

A wolves-supporting work colleague just left a message on my Facebook page saying something similar. Good game, but we were toothless up front and probably wouldn't have scored if we'd played all night.

He thinks we'll be mid-table as usual. We need a better striker, he reckons.

On that evidence I can see why he’s come to that conclusion as Waghorn and Garner were a little quiet. We know what they’re capable of though. I would agree that Sears is out of his depth at that level, but McGoldrick, Waggy, Celina and Garner are plenty good enough for a top 6 challenge. It was nice to see Bishop back in midfield, I hope he can kick on and offer the silver lining to Huws’ cloud. You have to wonder ‘what if’ Huws, Bishop and Dozzell in particular had been fully fit and firing. Our midfield options would’ve been very different. I still remain optimistic that we can sustain a challenge.

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:48 - Dec 24 with 4346 viewsCurrie10

Waghorn not at the races!? Would love to know what you made of Garner then based on digging out Waghorn.

Not his best Waghorn, but Garner was absolutely toilet.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:50 - Dec 24 with 4328 viewsclive_baker

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:48 - Dec 24 by Currie10

Waghorn not at the races!? Would love to know what you made of Garner then based on digging out Waghorn.

Have a day off, it was hardly ‘digging out’. If you read it properly it was quite the opposite, Waghorn’s class. I said they were both quiet yesterday.

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:53 - Dec 24 with 4309 viewstractorboy1978

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 09:53 - Dec 24 by clive_baker

On that evidence I can see why he’s come to that conclusion as Waghorn and Garner were a little quiet. We know what they’re capable of though. I would agree that Sears is out of his depth at that level, but McGoldrick, Waggy, Celina and Garner are plenty good enough for a top 6 challenge. It was nice to see Bishop back in midfield, I hope he can kick on and offer the silver lining to Huws’ cloud. You have to wonder ‘what if’ Huws, Bishop and Dozzell in particular had been fully fit and firing. Our midfield options would’ve been very different. I still remain optimistic that we can sustain a challenge.

I think we need a bit more depth. Rightly, people are happy with how well we've done going forwards but that isn't to say we shouldn't be looking to make a couple of January additions.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:56 - Dec 24 with 4302 viewsCurrie10

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:50 - Dec 24 by clive_baker

Have a day off, it was hardly ‘digging out’. If you read it properly it was quite the opposite, Waghorn’s class. I said they were both quiet yesterday.

I certainly thought Waghorn was our most likely source of a goal yesterday - was a bit disappointed he was taken off. Thought Garner really struggled and didn't look like he was ever going to make the net bulge.

What did you make of Teddy? Thought he was quiet but great to have him back on the way to full fitness.

Hoping for 3 vs QPR :)
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:57 - Dec 24 with 4291 viewsCurrie10

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:53 - Dec 24 by tractorboy1978

I think we need a bit more depth. Rightly, people are happy with how well we've done going forwards but that isn't to say we shouldn't be looking to make a couple of January additions.

I'd say we need 2 in January in order to push on.

CM needs addressing.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 11:01 - Dec 24 with 4276 viewstractorboy1978

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:57 - Dec 24 by Currie10

I'd say we need 2 in January in order to push on.

CM needs addressing.

Unless Bishop can come back and play like he did in 2014/15, if we are looking to challenge the top 6, we need a genuine first team option in the centre for me. It doesn't look like Adeyemi can get fit and Nydam/Downes cannot be expected to perform week in, week out.
Login to get fewer ads

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 11:13 - Dec 24 with 4237 viewsCurrie10

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 11:01 - Dec 24 by tractorboy1978

Unless Bishop can come back and play like he did in 2014/15, if we are looking to challenge the top 6, we need a genuine first team option in the centre for me. It doesn't look like Adeyemi can get fit and Nydam/Downes cannot be expected to perform week in, week out.

Trouble is I'd imagine Bishop is 4-6 games away and not even starting so it's going to take him a longtime to get back to 100% sharpness - He's played at Boro / Wolves and maybe Villa. Three very tough away games with us losing 1-0 / 2-0 each time. Hope he plays more vs QPR however probably from the bench again.

Nydam / Downes .... you'd have to expect up / down from them. Interestingly, neither on the bench yesterday and a Mr Adam McDonnell was. Perhaps he could yet do something with us!?

Otherwise, Hyam/Huws/Dozzell essentially don't count for this term. Skuse needs to be back soon, Adeyemi seems made of glass so we clear as day need upgrading CM.

Ideally, a ready made player, without injury problems who can add a little bit of class.

In this instance, I'm really not against using the loan market.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 11:45 - Dec 24 with 4187 viewsPJH

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:48 - Dec 24 by Currie10

Wolves defenders had Garner under complete control, I don't think any other team has made him look so ineffective this season.
Waghorn looked a lot brighter than Garner but even so was way below his best.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 13:51 - Dec 24 with 4003 viewsPilgrimblue

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 11:45 - Dec 24 by PJH

Wolves defenders had Garner under complete control, I don't think any other team has made him look so ineffective this season.
Waghorn looked a lot brighter than Garner but even so was way below his best.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Garner. He reads the game well but his lack of height and pace make him easy to cover. He's competitive for sure but spends too much time on the deck hoping to buy free kicks and it doesn't help that Bart launches difficult balls up to him. Need change of approach and see ball rolled out more often so that forwards have better options.
Garner made his name with outrageous goals which we haven't seen much of here.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 14:08 - Dec 24 with 3966 viewsPJH

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 13:51 - Dec 24 by Pilgrimblue

I'm not quite sure what to make of Garner. He reads the game well but his lack of height and pace make him easy to cover. He's competitive for sure but spends too much time on the deck hoping to buy free kicks and it doesn't help that Bart launches difficult balls up to him. Need change of approach and see ball rolled out more often so that forwards have better options.
Garner made his name with outrageous goals which we haven't seen much of here.

Although for most of this season I have thought that he has looked difficult to control despite his lack of height but yesterday their defenders had him in their pockets.
I suppose if Moore is coming back then he (Moore) deserves a go upfront but I can't imagine Moore and Garner playing together.
I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 15:06 - Dec 24 with 3858 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 10:50 - Dec 24 by clive_baker

Wolves have conceded 17 goals in 23 league matches.

Town have scored 37 in 23.

The Wolves defence won the day yesterday. Town's attack will get us close to the play-offs. As the original post stated, whether we make it will depend more on how many points we get against the likes of QPR and Derby than Wolves and Cardiff.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 21:42 - Dec 24 with 3572 viewsArnieM

Maybe our strikers were ineffective because we have none of our decent midfielders fit, and therefore the strikers simply didn’t get the service they need?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I went with a Villa supporting friend yesterday... on 14:47 - Dec 25 with 3257 viewsmadmouse1959

The fact remains we need better players and better players on the bench. The light weight subs we bought on against Wolves were hardly going to frighten anyone. We plod on regardless and the apathy continues. We did well only to lose 1-0.

shampoo dave

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024