Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Coalfield Classico: Proper Boxing day football 15:34 - Dec 26 with 1067 viewssparks

Good luck to the Town today, and I hope all the supporters who turn out have a footballing day as good as mine has been!

With my chosen game rained off, I was a semi-neutral at the entirely appropriately named "Coalfield Classico" where Radstock Town (the Miners) beat Welton Rovers 3-0.

The pitch was a wonderful mud-bath, the crowd noisy and cheerful.

Within 2 minutes, a robust Radstock clearance had dislodged a neighbouring house's drainpipe. On around 10 minutes, I was able to take the ball down on half way with one deft touch from a long defensive punt and get it back to the waiting player for the throw in with my second- earning a comment of "great touch" from the Radstock left back. Always nice when that happens...

Radstock's first goal was a well taken free kick, but the second was a clever back heel (Pabloesque) from the penalty spot, by an overweight striker. Wonderful to see.

Before the 2nd half started, the linesman came out early having lost the dressing room key from his pocket. He then proceeded to scour the touchline (which was deep in churned mud such that the line was pretty much obscured), eventually recovering the errant lock-opener from under half an inch of muck near the half way line.

Welton proceeded to hit the post and the angle. A shot each side came off the underside of the bar and bounced off the line- when they could just as easily have 'plugged'

Second half was understandably scrappy, the rain having started again. Radstock got a late third.

Finally, I had the guilty entertainment of watching people trying to get out of the grassy overflow car-park. I'd parked some way down the road to avoid the likely chaos of wheel spinning, mud-spraying and innnebriated good samaritans trying to push people out and landing flat in the mud.

What more could I ask for? Lovely stuff.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The Coalfield Classico: Proper Boxing day football on 16:03 - Dec 26 with 1019 viewssolemio

I love your word 'innebriated' which I take to mean drunk at a pub or hostelry.
The Coalfield Classico: Proper Boxing day football on 17:09 - Dec 26 with 968 viewsjaykay

dam my fat finger, ment to up vote the post

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024