Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best line up going forward 08:56 - Dec 27 with 4785 viewsHerbivore

I think we need to stick with the 4-2-3-1 system we've been using for the past couple of months, yes we've still had a few flat performances but for the most part we've looked a much better side since changing to that system and sticking with it. Connolly and Skuse have been excellent in the holding roles so let's hope Skuse is back for Derby. We know our best back 4 now, injuries and rotation aside. For me the problem is how to get the right balance in the attacking four. Specifically, is it possible for us to get Didz, Garner and Waghorn into the same team at the same time?

We saw yesterday, and earlier in the season, that the balance looks off when all three play as one of them has to nominally play on the right-hand side and that has left us exposed defensively and a little lopsided going forward. We also tend to go long with more forwards on the pitch as we've got less players in the side capable of linking defence and attack. For me we've looked more balanced when sacrificing a forward for a midfielder whilst keeping the same shape, it's meant we've looked more solid and we've had a bit more structure and shape to our play.

The question then becomes who do you leave out? Didz is technically our best player and can produce moments of magic that nobody else in our side can. Waghorn is our top scorer and has been superb overall. Garner started the season brilliantly and when he's on top of his game he gives us so much but when he's not on it and can't get on top of the centre backs he doesn't pose a threat. He's had more anonymous performances lately than good ones so reluctantly he'd be the one to miss out for me. Waghorn showed he can play up top in this system when Garner was out injured and that would mean Didz can move to the number 10 role, Ward on the right and Celina on the left. Garner coming on against tired defenders might be just what he needs too to get back into top form.

For me that attacking line up gives us much better balance and also enables us to drop Ward back into midfield and go for more of a 4-3-3 or drop Ward and Celina back a touch and go 4-4-2 if the system isn't working. Having four forwards on from the start really limits our ability to change anything.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Best line up going forward on 09:16 - Dec 27 with 4751 viewsTractorWood

QPR's first clean sheet away from home in 9 months, let alone this season. Imagine Sears ahead of Celina for 84 minutes. Unbelievable.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Best line up going forward on 10:21 - Dec 27 with 4713 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 09:16 - Dec 27 by TractorWood

QPR's first clean sheet away from home in 9 months, let alone this season. Imagine Sears ahead of Celina for 84 minutes. Unbelievable.

There's already several threads moaning about Celina not coming on sooner, I think you meant to post on one of those rather than this thread that has nothing to do with that issue.

Best line up going forward on 10:25 - Dec 27 with 4704 viewsTractorWood

Best line up going forward on 10:21 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

There's already several threads moaning about Celina not coming on sooner, I think you meant to post on one of those rather than this thread that has nothing to do with that issue.

About the front 4 isn't it?

Best line up going forward on 10:33 - Dec 27 with 4680 viewsDennyx4

Yesterday highlighted the fact that Sears and McGoldrick do not work wide and we needed Celina and Ward wide in the front four.

Waghorn must play with the form he is in - then depending on opponents Garner or Mcgoldrick, for the other slot.

Think we may miss Huws too - as in harder games Huws could play the central role of the 3 and make the midfield tougher to get through.
Best line up going forward on 10:36 - Dec 27 with 4676 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 10:25 - Dec 27 by TractorWood

About the front 4 isn't it?

And your post is about yesterday's game, which there's plenty of threads on already. My fault really, probably too soon after a poor display to expect the moaners to have quietened down a bit so we can have a sensible discussion.

Best line up going forward on 10:37 - Dec 27 with 4672 viewsSarge

Bart
Spence Chambers Webster Knudsen
Connolly Skuse
Waghorn McGoldrick Garner Celina

Personally I think that would be fine. Waghorn has plenty of goals from the right this season, Celina perfect on the left. The problem only comes when Sears and Iorfa are played instead and the rest of the team has to adapt to essentially carry them the whole game.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 10:38]
Best line up going forward on 10:39 - Dec 27 with 4666 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 10:37 - Dec 27 by Sarge

Bart
Connolly Skuse
Waghorn McGoldrick Garner Celina

Personally I think that would be fine. Waghorn has plenty of goals from the right this season, Celina perfect on the left. The problem only comes when Sears and Iorfa are played instead and the rest of the team has to adapt to essentially carry them the whole game.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 10:38]

We've been too unbalanced trying to play that front 4, we look disjointed as Didz or Waghorn are out of position and we get exposed defensively down that side. We also don't use the ball as well as everyone wants to play in the final third.

Best line up going forward on 10:41 - Dec 27 with 4661 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 10:33 - Dec 27 by Dennyx4

Yesterday highlighted the fact that Sears and McGoldrick do not work wide and we needed Celina and Ward wide in the front four.

Waghorn must play with the form he is in - then depending on opponents Garner or Mcgoldrick, for the other slot.

Think we may miss Huws too - as in harder games Huws could play the central role of the 3 and make the midfield tougher to get through.

Agree regarding Huws, him playing in that central role worked well especially against tougher opposition as he's more adept at dropping in and helping Skuse and Connolly if needed.

Login to get fewer ads

Best line up going forward on 10:45 - Dec 27 with 4652 viewsTractorWood

Best line up going forward on 10:36 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

And your post is about yesterday's game, which there's plenty of threads on already. My fault really, probably too soon after a poor display to expect the moaners to have quietened down a bit so we can have a sensible discussion.

You made a post about our top 4 and obviously neglected to engage with Sears and Celina which you clearly have some (ongoing) aversion to, I assume you stood by MM throughout the obvious period where 'the jury was out'. I do love your escapism though.

Best line up going forward on 10:47 - Dec 27 with 4646 viewsSomethingBlue

I wonder if something like ...

Bart
Spence Webster Chambers Knudsen
Adeyemi Skuse Connolly
Waghorn McGoldrick Celina

... might work. Depends on us ever seeing Adeyemi again and also shows that a disappointment it is that Huws, who came back so well, is now done for the foreseeable. Maybe swap Ward for Adeyemi. Anyway, there would be cover for whoever played wider on the right. And I don't particularly think Garner gets into our best team on the evidence of quite a fair stretch now.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Best line up going forward on 10:48 - Dec 27 with 4641 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 10:45 - Dec 27 by TractorWood

You made a post about our top 4 and obviously neglected to engage with Sears and Celina which you clearly have some (ongoing) aversion to, I assume you stood by MM throughout the obvious period where 'the jury was out'. I do love your escapism though.

It would just be nice to have a thread that isn't the tired old 'Boo dino Muck!' when there's already plenty of those. For what it's worth, I consistently said Mick should have gone last summer. If you want to talk about Celina/Sears there's numerous threads already discussing that, don't know why you're so desperate to hijack this one.

Best line up going forward on 10:48 - Dec 27 with 4641 viewsSarge

Best line up going forward on 10:39 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

We've been too unbalanced trying to play that front 4, we look disjointed as Didz or Waghorn are out of position and we get exposed defensively down that side. We also don't use the ball as well as everyone wants to play in the final third.

The problem is Waghorn is probably our best striker but he's also probably our best winger, apart from Celina. McGoldrick playing on the wing as he has done a few times however is complete madness.

Forest was imo our best performance of the season and oddly it came with us missing both Garner and McG. Huws was the key there and with him gone I don't know what to suggest. I really don't rate Ward on his past few performances.
Best line up going forward on 10:50 - Dec 27 with 4637 viewsTractorWood

Best line up going forward on 10:48 - Dec 27 by Sarge

The problem is Waghorn is probably our best striker but he's also probably our best winger, apart from Celina. McGoldrick playing on the wing as he has done a few times however is complete madness.

Forest was imo our best performance of the season and oddly it came with us missing both Garner and McG. Huws was the key there and with him gone I don't know what to suggest. I really don't rate Ward on his past few performances.

Huws out is a massive blow. Fantastic, dynamic player. Wonder if McDonnell will get a chance.

Best line up going forward on 10:53 - Dec 27 with 4632 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 10:48 - Dec 27 by Sarge

Ward needs to work on his decision making and execution in the final third but I like his energy and he gets us on the front foot. We look more balanced with him on the right. Waghorn on the right doesn't work for me, it's too easy for teams to break on us down that side when he plays there and he's less adept at linking defence and attack. Maybe in a 4-3-3 with more cover behind him it'd work better.

Best line up going forward on 10:56 - Dec 27 with 4627 viewsTractorWood

Best line up going forward on 10:48 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

It would just be nice to have a thread that isn't the tired old 'Boo dino Muck!' when there's already plenty of those. For what it's worth, I consistently said Mick should have gone last summer. If you want to talk about Celina/Sears there's numerous threads already discussing that, don't know why you're so desperate to hijack this one.

Mick's doing a great job on a trivial budget. Holistically it's miraculous. However, it's not unreasonable to point out an obvious selection error. There is a middle ground between being a happy clapper and a MM Dino out fan. Pretty sure it's an ITFC forum and your thread title is 'best line up going forward', me bemoaning Sears starting ahead Celina is broadly relevant to this.

Best line up going forward on 11:22 - Dec 27 with 4594 viewsnshearman1

Best line up going forward on 10:53 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

Ward needs to work on his decision making and execution in the final third but I like his energy and he gets us on the front foot. We look more balanced with him on the right. Waghorn on the right doesn't work for me, it's too easy for teams to break on us down that side when he plays there and he's less adept at linking defence and attack. Maybe in a 4-3-3 with more cover behind him it'd work better.

This is a thoughtful and interesting post and thread. I was really pleased to see Mick adopt this formation, and I'd like to see him stick with it too, but like all formations it has to work with the players you've got. For me, playing Waghorn out wide is worryingly close to what he's done to Sears (whatever you think of his abilities). Personally, Waghorn and Garner are similar players for me, target men, and he has to choose between one or the other or rotate them, depending on form. Playing four strikers looks like attacking intent but it's not if the side is unbalanced and they don't get proper support, and for me our sides have too often been unbalanced with square pegs in round holes under Mick. For me the key thus far has been Huws, he brings balance to the side in central midfield and I think we are a different side when he plays. But he's gone. That's the problem at present, Connolly has been doing a good job of pressing forward but I don't think he provides the same balance. Maybe Adeyemi will eventually. Bishop seems too injury-prone and possibly lightweight. I think Ward is our best option on the right at present, but not a great one - like you say, he has work to do. BTW, the issue of Celina yesterday is only relevant to this thread in terms of who you drop. I wouldn't drop Celina myself, but if you use him as an impact sub you have to bring him on way earlier than 84 minutes. Yesterday, Mick's comments afterwards revealed again how nervous he gets about losing a draw, and how conservative he is in terms of trying to win a game.
Best line up going forward on 11:30 - Dec 27 with 4579 viewsHerbivore

Best line up going forward on 11:22 - Dec 27 by nshearman1

This is a thoughtful and interesting post and thread. I was really pleased to see Mick adopt this formation, and I'd like to see him stick with it too, but like all formations it has to work with the players you've got. For me, playing Waghorn out wide is worryingly close to what he's done to Sears (whatever you think of his abilities). Personally, Waghorn and Garner are similar players for me, target men, and he has to choose between one or the other or rotate them, depending on form. Playing four strikers looks like attacking intent but it's not if the side is unbalanced and they don't get proper support, and for me our sides have too often been unbalanced with square pegs in round holes under Mick. For me the key thus far has been Huws, he brings balance to the side in central midfield and I think we are a different side when he plays. But he's gone. That's the problem at present, Connolly has been doing a good job of pressing forward but I don't think he provides the same balance. Maybe Adeyemi will eventually. Bishop seems too injury-prone and possibly lightweight. I think Ward is our best option on the right at present, but not a great one - like you say, he has work to do. BTW, the issue of Celina yesterday is only relevant to this thread in terms of who you drop. I wouldn't drop Celina myself, but if you use him as an impact sub you have to bring him on way earlier than 84 minutes. Yesterday, Mick's comments afterwards revealed again how nervous he gets about losing a draw, and how conservative he is in terms of trying to win a game.

Good post, pretty much agree with all of that. Celina should be starting on the left and he has been consistently of late, he is going to need a rest occasionally especially with games coming thick and fast so I can understand why he was rested yesterday. Mick's decision not to change it was risk averse, we weren't playing well and he didn't want to risk losing a point. I understand why that frustrates people.

Best line up going forward on 11:43 - Dec 27 with 4570 viewsDarth_Koont

It's been a bit academic with the number of midfielders we've been missing but I think we really need to get more players in there.

Even if Skuse and Adeyemi are back soon I think we need a midfield loanee. Someone with a bit of strength and quality on and off the ball.

Pronouns: He/Him

Best line up going forward on 11:44 - Dec 27 with 4560 viewsSomethingBlue

Best line up going forward on 11:43 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

It's been a bit academic with the number of midfielders we've been missing but I think we really need to get more players in there.

Even if Skuse and Adeyemi are back soon I think we need a midfield loanee. Someone with a bit of strength and quality on and off the ball.

Yes, I'm thinking that too. It's such a massive blow to lose Huws - we'd looked really good in our short time with him this season - and, particularly given the continued problems with Bishop, anything else just feels makeshift to me.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Best line up going forward on 12:35 - Dec 27 with 4532 viewsEireannach_gorm

Best line up going forward on 10:50 - Dec 27 by TractorWood

Huws out is a massive blow. Fantastic, dynamic player. Wonder if McDonnell will get a chance.

Mention of McDonnell brings to mind how unlucky his time at Ipswich has been. When he came first there was a midfield deficit but we got Douglas and Coke in. He mooched around in the U23's and his obvious early potential waned as he was clearly not going to get in the senior team. After two ( is it three?) years we loan him out to to bring on his game. Now we have a new midfield crisis and he cant come back. Seems he is destined not to have a career at Ipswich.
Best line up going forward on 20:53 - Dec 27 with 4454 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

My personal opinion would be the leave McGoldrick out. I think it's clear he's not benefitting from the wide right role, and ultimately, it's effecting the team by having less balance.

Garner is a must all day for me. I agree, when he can't get on top of defenders he doesn't pose too much of a threat though. I think what Garner does is very intelligent. He's very good at buying free kicks, he's very good at winning cheap corners where a throw would go into him, he'd hold it and kick it off the defender for a corner, but he's also very good in our own penalty area - and he does all those every week. When's he's on his game though, he's on top of the centre backs, and when he's on par with Waghorn, then those 2 really are a formidable partnership for any defence in this division to try and handle.

I'd like to see a front 4 of Celina-Waghorn-Ward with Garner in front. Ward can be so frustrating but some games he pulls it out the bag. Waghorn gets through a lot of work off the ball, but he's proven he can do a lot with it too. Celina is a player I don't think we've seen the best off, but he's another who can do a job going forwards as well as backwards. I just wish Celina had a bit more bite to his game - a bit like Tom Lawrence did.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Best line up going forward and defending on 03:18 - Dec 28 with 4374 viewsharlingblue

Bart
Connolly Skuse
Ward Waghorn Garner Celina
Partnerships are a name of the game,
Spence and Ward on the right, Knudsen and Celina on the left.
Chambers, Webster in centre defense, Connolly and Skuse centre midfield.
Waghorn and Garner up top.
Sell McGoldrick, Sears, bring back Moore, promote McKendry, Falomi and Woolfenden to the bench.
Best line up going forward and defending on 06:28 - Dec 28 with 4341 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Best line up going forward and defending on 03:18 - Dec 28 by harlingblue

Bart
Connolly Skuse
Ward Waghorn Garner Celina
Partnerships are a name of the game,
Spence and Ward on the right, Knudsen and Celina on the left.
Chambers, Webster in centre defense, Connolly and Skuse centre midfield.
Waghorn and Garner up top.
Sell McGoldrick, Sears, bring back Moore, promote McKendry, Falomi and Woolfenden to the bench.

My taxi driver this morning said he had Toumani Diagouraga's brother-in-laws mechanic In the cab yesterday. He's definitely Ipswich bound apparently so we should add him and Drinan to the list.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024