Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 10:04 - Dec 29 with 12275 viewsbongoblue91

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned on here but I find it unbelievable, it’s literally happening again! https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/897431/Leeds-United-News-Aston-Villa-Su
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:06 - Dec 29 with 8085 viewschristiand

Players develop at different rates, some are ready earlier and others aren't, they need more time. Marriott seems like he is blossoming now. Good on him, hope he goes for a few million!
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 10:09]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:12 - Dec 29 with 8050 viewsJ2BLUE

It's not literally happening again. Marriott had several uninspiring loans apart from his initial loan at Woking in the Conference. No one really cared when he was let go.

Rhodes was completely different and more because of Keane's arrogance and access to a big pot of money.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:13 - Dec 29 with 8042 viewsbongoblue91

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:06 - Dec 29 by christiand

Players develop at different rates, some are ready earlier and others aren't, they need more time. Marriott seems like he is blossoming now. Good on him, hope he goes for a few million!

I can’t help but be bitter about it, he was banging goals in for fun when he was playing for are reserves, what more is a striker supposed to do to get in the team, I’m sorry but he was developing just fine here, scoring goals and doing all he can do and then Ipswich release him! It’s a joke, it really is
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 10:14]
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:21 - Dec 29 with 7984 viewschristiand

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:13 - Dec 29 by bongoblue91

I can’t help but be bitter about it, he was banging goals in for fun when he was playing for are reserves, what more is a striker supposed to do to get in the team, I’m sorry but he was developing just fine here, scoring goals and doing all he can do and then Ipswich release him! It’s a joke, it really is

Not really, Marriott wasn't consistently pushing as a first team regular here. He wasn't going to get the first team opportunities to be involved and play. Ipswich won't be the first or the last club that let young players go and they do well at pastures new - it's a game of opinions. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast, it's football it happens. Just wish him well and accept we have been part of his development to get him to this stage of his career.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:22 - Dec 29 with 7973 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:13 - Dec 29 by bongoblue91

I'm sorry but thats nonsense. He has some opportunities both in our team and on loan at lower div teams and only in one spell many leagues below showed promise to make it higher up. His form was underwhelming and i think the club did the right thing. Its not all about the club by the way. He was never getting in our team (we had better) and his career was going to suffer. It was 100% the right thing for both him and us at that time. He would not be doing what he is doing if he stayed. Rhodes was different. He was ready. Marriott still wouldnt get in our team quite frankly. We are strong up front!

Yeovil could be saying the very same about Moore by the way. Players develop at different rates and often its a perm move and step down that focuses the mind and makes them realise they have to earn their career and step up!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:26 - Dec 29 with 7947 viewsbongoblue91

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:22 - Dec 29 by Terry_Nutkins

I'm sorry but thats nonsense. He has some opportunities both in our team and on loan at lower div teams and only in one spell many leagues below showed promise to make it higher up. His form was underwhelming and i think the club did the right thing. Its not all about the club by the way. He was never getting in our team (we had better) and his career was going to suffer. It was 100% the right thing for both him and us at that time. He would not be doing what he is doing if he stayed. Rhodes was different. He was ready. Marriott still wouldnt get in our team quite frankly. We are strong up front!

Yeovil could be saying the very same about Moore by the way. Players develop at different rates and often its a perm move and step down that focuses the mind and makes them realise they have to earn their career and step up!

See what your all saying when he’s scoring against us every game, twice a season. You can see it happening, would be typical Ipswich.
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:27 - Dec 29 with 7943 viewsDyland

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:26 - Dec 29 by bongoblue91

See what your all saying when he’s scoring against us every game, twice a season. You can see it happening, would be typical Ipswich.

You're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:37 - Dec 29 with 7888 viewsJimmyJazz

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:06 - Dec 29 by christiand

I agree with this, but it does happen to a lot of clubs.

It's part of the argument that says don't spend money on an academy but snap up promising young-ish players for a fee instead. Let Ipswich/Luton/Peterborough develop a player and then come in with your cheque book when the time is right.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:40 - Dec 29 with 7879 viewsJimmyJazz

If he's getting this amount of interest due to his scoring exploits in League 1, then what about KM? Someone will be calling him Jordan Rhodes number 3 soon

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:42 - Dec 29 with 7873 viewsitfcjoe

It’s a joke that he never got a chance here, a natural goalscorer who had to watch the likes of Noubke, Sammon and Bajner get opportunities ahead of him when they couldn’t hit a cows backside with a banjo.

I generally think MMc has done a better than decent job at bringing youngsters through, whether from the academy, signed or on loan - but not giving Marriott any opportunity was an aberration. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game and he’s done it whenever and wherever he’s played.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 10:43]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:44 - Dec 29 with 7855 viewsmuccletonjoe

he wouldn't get in our team now we have signed two strikers for a million quid , but would we have needed them if Marriott had been here last season when we had no one who could score goals regularly apart from Lawrence . I saw jack Marriott play on several occasions and it was always clear to me that he was an out and out goalscorer . I predicted he would make it elsewhere and it was a bad move releasing him . I havnt changed my mind
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:50 - Dec 29 with 7816 viewsJimmyJazz

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:42 - Dec 29 by itfcjoe

It’s a joke that he never got a chance here, a natural goalscorer who had to watch the likes of Noubke, Sammon and Bajner get opportunities ahead of him when they couldn’t hit a cows backside with a banjo.

I generally think MMc has done a better than decent job at bringing youngsters through, whether from the academy, signed or on loan - but not giving Marriott any opportunity was an aberration. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game and he’s done it whenever and wherever he’s played.

Do you think he should have been given a better loan opportunity than Woking? Obviously someone needs to want him on loan first, but I fail to see what scoring goals at non-league level proves at all

A loan spell at Luton would have been a better indication

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:53 - Dec 29 with 7803 viewsSwailsey

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:12 - Dec 29 by J2BLUE

It's not literally happening again. Marriott had several uninspiring loans apart from his initial loan at Woking in the Conference. No one really cared when he was let go.

Rhodes was completely different and more because of Keane's arrogance and access to a big pot of money.

T
H
I
S

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:57 - Dec 29 with 7794 viewsMullet

Reminded me of Ronan Murray, don't really see these arguments as anything over than frustration that we can't keep everybody, or predict the future.

I get the feeling we'll say the same things about Bishop in a couple of years if his contract isn't renewed.

Marriott got a dead rubber to show his stuff and was still a bit off of the first team. I'm not sure how much longer we could have given him when we were then going to go on and target the playoffs etc.

A bit like Luongo and Grant, if they're a tad lightweight mentally or physically MM doesn't put them into the fight and moves them on. I'm not sure as well like Rhodes, Marriott will be as good as a few are pretending to have predicted either. You're going to get interest in players like him every window, but how many go on and fulfil these transfers?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:58 - Dec 29 with 7786 viewsitfcjoe

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:50 - Dec 29 by JimmyJazz

Do you think he should have been given a better loan opportunity than Woking? Obviously someone needs to want him on loan first, but I fail to see what scoring goals at non-league level proves at all

A loan spell at Luton would have been a better indication

It’s a difficult one, managers in the league don’t seem to be willing to play youngsters so getting loan spells is hard - look at where most of our youngsters are this year. They all have academies, their own players to develop etc.

Jack went to Gillingham where their striker was due a hernia op, he went there then guy cancelled it until end of season and Jack was soon back here. He then went to Carlisle and after hitting woodwork 2 or 3 times in 4 or 5 games their manager was sacked and he’s back and people still now saying he failed in his loan spells not seeing how poor the loan system is for development in a lot of cases.

He’d done enough to have w few chances here, from the bench at least to try and make an impact.

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:00 - Dec 29 with 7772 viewsDyland

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:57 - Dec 29 by Mullet

Reminded me of Ronan Murray, don't really see these arguments as anything over than frustration that we can't keep everybody, or predict the future.

I get the feeling we'll say the same things about Bishop in a couple of years if his contract isn't renewed.

Marriott got a dead rubber to show his stuff and was still a bit off of the first team. I'm not sure how much longer we could have given him when we were then going to go on and target the playoffs etc.

A bit like Luongo and Grant, if they're a tad lightweight mentally or physically MM doesn't put them into the fight and moves them on. I'm not sure as well like Rhodes, Marriott will be as good as a few are pretending to have predicted either. You're going to get interest in players like him every window, but how many go on and fulfil these transfers?

Joers makes some good points about Marriott, but the OP's comparison with what happened with Rhodes is well off the mark.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:05 - Dec 29 with 7744 viewsitfcjoe

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:57 - Dec 29 by Mullet

Murray got more opportunities than Marriott though, and JM did more for us at other levels.

I don’t necessarily think JM would have blown us away here - but if you are club like ours that has to lean heavily on academy, then he has to have an opportunity here as he’d done enough and that is one of the academies selling points.

A number of the academy staff were hugely disappointed, and don’t think this situation would happen again now

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:08 - Dec 29 with 7723 viewsBluefish

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:12 - Dec 29 by J2BLUE

Probably your best ever post

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:16 - Dec 29 with 7709 viewsDubtractor

He was only 20 when he left for goodness sake!

Better players? See Joe's post about players like Bajner, Sammon and Nouble who were preferred to him.

How many starts, or even sub appearances was he given in our team?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:16 - Dec 29 with 7710 viewsMullet

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:00 - Dec 29 by Dyland

Joers makes some good points about Marriott, but the OP's comparison with what happened with Rhodes is well off the mark.

I'm not sure Marriott could play out on the wing, hold the ball up or bully defenders like either of those. Likewise Bajner wasn't exactly persisted with very long. You have to ask why he couldn't displace them if the required quality was there. Mick's not exactly been shy with the 17 year olds when they are ready etc. What's the trade off when it comes to the development of one player over the past 3 or 4 seasons?

A lot like Rhodes, if you ignore the style we play(ed) and where the player would have had to fit in, it's a lot more convincing to suggest they should have played.

We've got an opposite case in point with McDonnell who clearly spent a season pouting and not putting the effort in on the training ground. He's got a bit opportunity this month and one I'd love to see him fulfil. He really impressed me a couple of years back, and with time against him he's in a do or die type scenario.

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:21 - Dec 29 with 7693 viewsMullet

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:05 - Dec 29 by itfcjoe

Murray got more opportunities than Marriott though, and JM did more for us at other levels.

I don’t necessarily think JM would have blown us away here - but if you are club like ours that has to lean heavily on academy, then he has to have an opportunity here as he’d done enough and that is one of the academies selling points.

A number of the academy staff were hugely disappointed, and don’t think this situation would happen again now

Murray was a Keane player though, in a very different scenario so the opportunities were different. Again he also has to earn that opportunity to some degree, did he get more than the Burnley game?

The academy staff are going to be disappointed, it's their work and they're going to want these lads to succeed. The issue being though, how many clubs have a hit rate better or worse than ours? We can't be that badly off.

There's also the fact that academy staff are trying to give every player a career at whatever level, so it's surely a good thing that like say Ed Upson, he's gone down a notch to have a crack at coming back up.

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:29 - Dec 29 with 7647 viewsJ2BLUE

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:08 - Dec 29 by Bluefish

Probably your best ever post

High praise indeed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:35 - Dec 29 with 7621 viewsHerbivore

I usually agree with you Joe but I think Marriott is a blind spot for you. He didn't score goals wherever he went, in fact aside from his first loan spell at Woking he didn't really do anything during his loans elsewhere that suggested he could make the step up to the Championship. He was miles from the first team when we released him, we'd signed Sears that January and he was looking good and that left Marriott down the pecking order. Nobody kicked up a fuss when he left, he was well out of the picture here. Credit for how he's gone on and performed since we released him, he needed regular football at a lower level to progress and us releasing him gave him that chance. Had we kept him he wouldn't have got the game time needed to develop the way he has.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:56 - Dec 29 with 7505 viewsbongoblue91

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 10:27 - Dec 29 by Dyland

You're getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.

If Marriott was still here this season he would be given a chance, MM got a big kick up the ass from town fans last season about his style of play,not playing youngsters. This season it’s completely different, academy players making there debuts loads this season. Unfortunately when Marriott was here MM was so far up his own ass he would rather play someone like a 30+ Connor Sammon than give Marriott a chance. The kid never got a chance here just as Jordan Rhodes didn’t
Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 12:00 - Dec 29 with 7480 viewsHerbivore

Jordan Rhodes, number 2 on 11:56 - Dec 29 by bongoblue91

If Marriott was still here this season he would be given a chance, MM got a big kick up the ass from town fans last season about his style of play,not playing youngsters. This season it’s completely different, academy players making there debuts loads this season. Unfortunately when Marriott was here MM was so far up his own ass he would rather play someone like a 30+ Connor Sammon than give Marriott a chance. The kid never got a chance here just as Jordan Rhodes didn’t

Ha! Do you genuinely believe any of that post?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024