Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich 21:32 - Dec 29 with 3193 viewsSuperfrans

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 21:55 - Dec 29 with 3082 viewsJ2BLUE

Life isn't fair.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 22:38 - Dec 29 with 2967 viewsjpring89

That side should have won everything including the european cup after we should have won the league . Would be good to see both sides today go toe to toe obviously im bias and we would win.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 22:59 - Dec 29 with 2917 viewsLord_Lucan

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 22:38 - Dec 29 by jpring89

That side should have won everything including the european cup after we should have won the league . Would be good to see both sides today go toe to toe obviously im bias and we would win.

What the new generation will never understand is that the UEFA Cup was a harder trophy to win than The European cup at the time.

Back then only the champions entered the European Cup but it wasn’t common for teams to win their league twice in a row - so if you were in The UEFA Cup it is likely you would be facing the future champions of the nation.

Ipswich were desperately unlucky to compete against an amazing Liverpool side, that said, and I will say this honestly and without bias, in our pomp I have never to this day seen a side like our side - except maybe that bloody Liverpool team.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 23:13 - Dec 29 with 2862 viewsstrikalite

I was listening and was a little disappointed that Motty didn't elaborate a little, I know how much he liked us..
Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:15 - Dec 30 with 2539 viewsGlasgowBlue

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 22:59 - Dec 29 by Lord_Lucan

What the new generation will never understand is that the UEFA Cup was a harder trophy to win than The European cup at the time.

Back then only the champions entered the European Cup but it wasn’t common for teams to win their league twice in a row - so if you were in The UEFA Cup it is likely you would be facing the future champions of the nation.

Ipswich were desperately unlucky to compete against an amazing Liverpool side, that said, and I will say this honestly and without bias, in our pomp I have never to this day seen a side like our side - except maybe that bloody Liverpool team.

The difference between us and Liverpool at the time was squad size.

If we lost Brazil or Mariner to injury our back up was Mich d'Avray or Robin Turner. They had David Fairclough and David Johnson to come in for Dalglish or Ian Rush.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:20 - Dec 30 with 2528 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:15 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

The difference between us and Liverpool at the time was squad size.

If we lost Brazil or Mariner to injury our back up was Mich d'Avray or Robin Turner. They had David Fairclough and David Johnson to come in for Dalglish or Ian Rush.

Presumably nobody was moaning about lack of investment at the time, or were they? Strikes me that we’d have been even more successful if we’d have acquired even 2 more players.
Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:25 - Dec 30 with 2495 viewsPJH

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 22:59 - Dec 29 by Lord_Lucan

The Leeds side of 1973/74 was also on that level in my opinion.

You are right about the UEFA Cup then having far stronger teams than the current Europa League and you did have to work harder to win that than win the European Cup.

I think our first X1 of 1980/81 was as good as anything that I have seen in English football but the lack of any depth below that team was a killer.

Over the period that SBR had us as one of the top teams in the Country Liverpool always had a far better second string to call upon if and when necessary.
Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:31 - Dec 30 with 2489 viewsPJH

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 09:20 - Dec 30 by PrideOfTheEast

Presumably nobody was moaning about lack of investment at the time, or were they? Strikes me that we’d have been even more successful if we’d have acquired even 2 more players.

There was no need in theory to have a big squad because there was only one sub allowable in domestic football but there was a real chasm between the abilities of our first team and those that needed to come in if and when we had injuries.
A couple more players of similar abilities to those in the team would have been nice but "squads" as such did not exist, just first team and reserves and it was the strength of our reserves compared with some other teams that damaged us.
Login to get fewer ads

Matt Elliott compares Guardiola’s Man City with Sir Bobby’s Ipswich on 11:44 - Dec 30 with 2321 viewsBluetone

Are Man city that good? wow.

Blog: My Life and Times as an Ipswich Supporter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024