Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? 19:20 - Dec 31 with 7772 viewstextbackup

Best - 2000

Worse - 2017
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 19:23]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:32 - Dec 31 with 6521 viewsTractorCam

Been going since 2002, but was only 6 so don't remember/ didn't appreciate so much of the early seasons

Best - 2014
Worst - 2016

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:38 - Dec 31 with 6504 viewsgtsb1966

Best 1981...so glad I witnessed the great years

Worse ...2016/17
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:40 - Dec 31 with 6498 viewsFtnfwest

Best 1981 worst 1986. Pretty bad this year but not as shattering as that relegation (was still only 20 then whereas now I just look at things with a reflective cynical eye I guess)
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:43 - Dec 31 with 6489 viewsPJH

Best 1962 which was really a once in a lifetime year but closely followed by 1981 which could have topped it and proved that it wasn't if only....

Worst, whenever it was that Keane was here.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:43 - Dec 31 with 6486 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Best 2000

Worst 2011

Poll: Best Football Song

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:44 - Dec 31 with 6485 viewsxrayspecs

IMHO, you need to ask about seasons not calendar years

Best: 80/81

Worst: 18/19 (careful what you wish for...)

The Ferguson and Duncan ears were not easy on the eye but we all cared less about winning / losing - football was more of a way of life and a social event. Despite the football, the beer and company were good, happy days off the pitch.

Met an old school friend last week, a fellow Town fan, who has pretty much given up on football. It has been ruined by money to the point where only the biggest clubs can hope to win something. And when Leicester throw a spanner in the works, the top clubs want to change the funding model so that they siphon off even more of the cash.

Have only seen Town once this season - at Boro - where we worked hard to limit them and then fell away in the second half. I have not done the maths but there squad would have cost 10-20x what we have spent, and they are nothing much.

So I fear for the future as I can not see this getting any better. Even if someone came in and bought out ME (we have been on the market for a number of years), where does it end. A new owner would need to spend £50m to get us up and a hundred million a season to keep us in the group outside of the elite.

HNY!
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:47 - Dec 31 with 6474 viewsElto

Best 1981

Worst 2012 - The last few months of Jewell's tenure tested my resolve more than anything else I've endured following this club.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:51 - Dec 31 with 6464 viewsEastTownBlue

Best 2000 or 1992.

Worst 1994 (at least 1995 picked up a bit following relegation)
Login to get fewer ads

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:55 - Dec 31 with 6458 viewslongtimefan

Best 1980 - 81 - but ultimately a case of what might have been, as the triple was on at Easter.

Worst 2001 - 02 - the season that lead to administration and where we are now.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:25 - Dec 31 with 6432 viewshomer_123

81 for both.

It was marvellous, so many highlights but you know what....it was the worst for me as well because we were that good we should have won more.

I do think it's hard for many to believe just how good we were.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:26 - Dec 31 with 6420 viewshomer_123

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:43 - Dec 31 by PJH

Best 1962 which was really a once in a lifetime year but closely followed by 1981 which could have topped it and proved that it wasn't if only....

Worst, whenever it was that Keane was here.

Keane would be my next lowest point.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:31 - Dec 31 with 6413 viewstextbackup

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:44 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

The Ferguson and Duncan ears were not easy on the eye but we all cared less about winning / losing - football was more of a way of life and a social event. Despite the football, the beer and company were good, happy days off the pitch.

Met an old school friend last week, a fellow Town fan, who has pretty much given up on football. It has been ruined by money to the point where only the biggest clubs can hope to win something. And when Leicester throw a spanner in the works, the top clubs want to change the funding model so that they siphon off even more of the cash.

Have only seen Town once this season - at Boro - where we worked hard to limit them and then fell away in the second half. I have not done the maths but there squad would have cost 10-20x what we have spent, and they are nothing much.

So I fear for the future as I can not see this getting any better. Even if someone came in and bought out ME (we have been on the market for a number of years), where does it end. A new owner would need to spend £50m to get us up and a hundred million a season to keep us in the group outside of the elite.

HNY!

I agree it’s normally done in seasons, but as today is what it is I thought I’d go mad and try something different

That said I agree with pretty much all you say

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:51 - Dec 31 with 6390 viewsxrayspecs

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:31 - Dec 31 by textbackup

I agree it’s normally done in seasons, but as today is what it is I thought I’d go mad and try something different

That said I agree with pretty much all you say

HNY Texty!
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:55 - Dec 31 with 6389 viewsfooters

I've never bought an ITFC calendar.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 20:55]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 21:19 - Dec 31 with 6362 viewsSteve_M

Best 1992. Promotion, carried onto into great form. Just one home defeat. Then 2000 a little behind.

Worst 1994. Look at the results that year, we won five league games FFS. Really don't know how Man Utd are amongst them.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 21:23 - Dec 31 with 6344 viewsSteve_M

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:51 - Dec 31 by EastTownBlue

Best 2000 or 1992.

Worst 1994 (at least 1995 picked up a bit following relegation)

Glad you agree, how can there be any debate about 1994??

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 21:24 - Dec 31 with 6347 viewsPJH

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:25 - Dec 31 by homer_123

81 for both.

It was marvellous, so many highlights but you know what....it was the worst for me as well because we were that good we should have won more.

You are so right about 1980/81.
It was a wonderful season but could and should have been even better.

Regarding your last line, you are right about that too-you needed to be there to appreciate just how good that team was.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 21:31 - Dec 31 with 6323 viewsBluespeed225

1980. Last half of 79/80, first half of 80/81. We were untouchable, just the wrong 42 games!
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 21:43 - Dec 31 with 6307 viewsSitfcB

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 19:44 - Dec 31 by xrayspecs

HNY!

No, that's done at the end of the season

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 22:24 - Dec 31 with 6260 viewsswede

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 20:25 - Dec 31 by homer_123

81 for both.

So agree with this. I will never forget the devastating feeling that we only won the UEFA Cup that season when we should have won the treble. It sounds so bizarre and wrong now, but you had to be there to understand.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 22:34 - Dec 31 with 6251 viewsxrayspecs

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 22:24 - Dec 31 by swede

So agree with this. I will never forget the devastating feeling that we only won the UEFA Cup that season when we should have won the treble. It sounds so bizarre and wrong now, but you had to be there to understand.

We should have won the league, the cup was a not a done deal. Just winning a European trophy felt like an under-achievement.

In the end, we ran out of legs. IIRC, teams only had one sub that season and over the course of around 60 games, we relied on just 13 players.

TWTD.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 23:25 - Dec 31 with 6218 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Best 1981 for all the reasons already given.

Worst 1995 - we were the laughing stock of the Premier League losing 9-0 at Manure and getting stuffed on a regular basis

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 03:02 - Jan 1 with 6156 viewsStNeotsBlue

91-92 was fantastic, totally unexpected. Coincided with me also scoring on a regular basis, it was fun.
Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 03:31 - Jan 1 with 6146 viewsbournemouthblue

2016 was pretty dire but perhaps the season after the nearly season under Royle

It was quite apparent it would he some time before we were a force again

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Worst and best calendar years in ur ITFC time? on 08:30 - Jan 1 with 6108 viewstcblue

2017 the worst since 2000? Astonishing trolling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024