Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now even T20 takes too long? 11:27 - Jan 2 with 1583 viewsgordon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42441245

Could make it more like Baseball, with just one main bowler and a reserve, the rest of the team could be six-hitters.
Now even T20 takes too long? on 11:29 - Jan 2 with 1571 viewsSteve_M

There's not the time to get enough beers in that way.

Three hours for a T20 match shouldn't be too long. I know the thoughts are always about getting kids interested but when I was young the attraction of football was partly that it was an adult environment, being allowed to do something different.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Now even T20 takes too long? on 11:32 - Jan 2 with 1561 viewsBluebell

Not sure people would bother attending if it was only going to be 10 overs.
Now even T20 takes too long? on 11:38 - Jan 2 with 1548 viewsgordon

Now even T20 takes too long? on 11:29 - Jan 2 by Steve_M

There's not the time to get enough beers in that way.

Three hours for a T20 match shouldn't be too long. I know the thoughts are always about getting kids interested but when I was young the attraction of football was partly that it was an adult environment, being allowed to do something different.

Yeah for me the attraction of cricket is that you don't have to pay attention to every ball. I'd concentrate on sorting test cricket. Get the games to be played faster, with less faff between balls (a timer starts after a dot ball, for example, with a one run penalty if the ball isn't delivered in time) and have tests over 4 days with 100 overs per day on more result oriented pitches, and possibly an over limit for first innings (125 overs?).

The focus on new formats rather than really have a go at fixing Test Cricket is a bit sad IMHO.
Now even T20 takes too long? on 12:22 - Jan 2 with 1495 viewsconnorscontract

Now even T20 takes too long? on 11:38 - Jan 2 by gordon

Yeah for me the attraction of cricket is that you don't have to pay attention to every ball. I'd concentrate on sorting test cricket. Get the games to be played faster, with less faff between balls (a timer starts after a dot ball, for example, with a one run penalty if the ball isn't delivered in time) and have tests over 4 days with 100 overs per day on more result oriented pitches, and possibly an over limit for first innings (125 overs?).

The focus on new formats rather than really have a go at fixing Test Cricket is a bit sad IMHO.

The biggest problem facing Test Cricket is the fitness of the leading fast bowlers. Batsmen have a more expansive technique (due to T20) so are prone to being skittled unless they are provided with dry, flat wickets to bat on. Bowlers then run in tirelessly and thanklessly. They also throw themselves around in the field and chase every shot at the boundary. Michael Holding, who is the biggest whinger about over rates, used to bowl on pitches purpose built for him, and bowlers of his generation would refuse to bend down to pick up a ball at their feet. Your timing proposal would lead to more injuries, I'm afraid, plus it is often the batting side who take time between balls to try to disrupt the bowlers rhythm.

The biggest problem facing cricket in England is the stupid decision by the ECB to chase money at all costs, from taking tv coverage from C4 (who did brilliantly to re-engage the nation in 2005) and giving it to Sky, through to creating a new grlunds arms race where non-traditional Test grounds like the Rose Bowl, SWALEC or Chester-le -Street take part in cut-throat tenders and lose money hosting Tests or ODIs, and the appalling decision to take T20 from the Counties and give it to new franchises. Little Northants have done the equivalent of Leicester's Prem title win in T20 (in spite of having their best bowlers poached) getting to 3 T20 Finals Days in recent years and winning 2. Now they are kicked out of T20. Appalling. Fck you Andrew Strauss!
Now even T20 takes too long? on 13:19 - Jan 2 with 1439 viewsPinewoodblue

Now even T20 takes too long? on 12:22 - Jan 2 by connorscontract

The biggest problem facing Test Cricket is the fitness of the leading fast bowlers. Batsmen have a more expansive technique (due to T20) so are prone to being skittled unless they are provided with dry, flat wickets to bat on. Bowlers then run in tirelessly and thanklessly. They also throw themselves around in the field and chase every shot at the boundary. Michael Holding, who is the biggest whinger about over rates, used to bowl on pitches purpose built for him, and bowlers of his generation would refuse to bend down to pick up a ball at their feet. Your timing proposal would lead to more injuries, I'm afraid, plus it is often the batting side who take time between balls to try to disrupt the bowlers rhythm.

The biggest problem facing cricket in England is the stupid decision by the ECB to chase money at all costs, from taking tv coverage from C4 (who did brilliantly to re-engage the nation in 2005) and giving it to Sky, through to creating a new grlunds arms race where non-traditional Test grounds like the Rose Bowl, SWALEC or Chester-le -Street take part in cut-throat tenders and lose money hosting Tests or ODIs, and the appalling decision to take T20 from the Counties and give it to new franchises. Little Northants have done the equivalent of Leicester's Prem title win in T20 (in spite of having their best bowlers poached) getting to 3 T20 Finals Days in recent years and winning 2. Now they are kicked out of T20. Appalling. Fck you Andrew Strauss!

Overs, in Australia, used to be eight balls. Perhaps we should try that in Tests. It is the gap between overs that keeps the over rate down.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now even T20 takes too long? on 13:20 - Jan 2 with 1437 viewsbournemouthblue

Now even T20 takes too long? on 12:22 - Jan 2 by connorscontract

The Franchise system is flawed in the UK because we are more spread out

In Oz it works well because the majority of their population live in big cities. The East and South-West are going to be particularly effected by this as they find their local team will be 100 miles away

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Now even T20 takes too long? on 13:31 - Jan 2 with 1410 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never mind fixing cricket. They need to fix society first if people can't sit through at least 20 overs a side.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Now even T20 takes too long? on 13:45 - Jan 2 with 1399 viewsSteve_M

Now even T20 takes too long? on 13:19 - Jan 2 by Pinewoodblue

Overs, in Australia, used to be eight balls. Perhaps we should try that in Tests. It is the gap between overs that keeps the over rate down.

There were problems with that too though:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024