Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that went south fast 23:05 - Jan 2 with 6515 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ridiculously stupid from Spence. Whether you think it should have been a red or not (personally think the ref had no option but seen others suggesting it should have been a yellow), by going in like that he was always inviting the ref to send him off - completely unnecessary when 1-0 up and in that area of the pitch

I actually thought at that point we’d got a good foothold in the game and were looking relatively comfortable. First 30 minutes were a struggle, but as Fulham’s press tired a bit in the first half we’d got more into the game culmanating with the goal, and continued that way in the second half

Unfortunately following the card it all rather went to sh*t. Without the benefit of watching the highlights, the first looked a good goal with a bit of luck at the end, the second a huge slice of luck for Fulham and then our heads going completely from there, although pretty irrelevant as it was game over already. Not sure what happened from the 4th as decided to leave and get the half 10 train home

So where from here? Playoffs look out of reach and we won’t go down, so for me a decision on McCarthy’s future needs to be made soon with January business and the rest of the season looking to the future

Like most I think Mick’s time is up - personally I’m not convinced we’ll be any better for a new man coming in without significant investment, but definitely feels as if the whole club needs a change and a lift. Regardless I still think Mick has done a great job overall given the budget constraints, but at he same time completely get the criticism re style - if we’re not going to challenge for promotion and fans aren’t enjoying watching then really you have to question the point

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a ramble!
[Post edited 2 Jan 2018 23:05]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well that went south fast on 23:07 - Jan 2 with 4348 viewsHerbivore

Agree with your summary of the Mick situation. The goals were a combination of very poor defending and the ball falling for them to an extent as well. Looks like we weathered the storm and did the hard work only to self destruct with the sending off and the capitulation that followed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well that went south fast on 23:09 - Jan 2 with 4325 viewsBenters2

Whether you think it was a red or not...wtf?

Spence lost his head for a bit and launched in.

End of.
Well that went south fast on 23:09 - Jan 2 with 4312 viewsDarth_Koont

Yeah, that's how I saw it. The first half hour was very scary but as you say it looked like we had got to grips just before the sending off.

It just completely reversed the momentum - and, with the way they play trying to set one player free, Fulham was exactly the wrong side to give a man advantage to as well.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well that went south fast on 23:15 - Jan 2 with 4239 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 23:09 - Jan 2 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, that's how I saw it. The first half hour was very scary but as you say it looked like we had got to grips just before the sending off.

It just completely reversed the momentum - and, with the way they play trying to set one player free, Fulham was exactly the wrong side to give a man advantage to as well.

They were very good when we went down to 10 men - lots of quick switching from flank to flank to get us stretched

That doesn’t excuse the capitulation, but it would be unfair not to give them credit for forcing it

Well that went south fast on 23:20 - Jan 2 with 4206 viewsDarth_Koont

Well that went south fast on 23:15 - Jan 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They were very good when we went down to 10 men - lots of quick switching from flank to flank to get us stretched

That doesn’t excuse the capitulation, but it would be unfair not to give them credit for forcing it

Cairney was ridiculously good throughout — but unplayable when we were down to 10.

I thought we'd at least started to get the measure of Johansen and Norwood but then they also had the time and space to turn it on.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well that went south fast on 01:53 - Jan 3 with 4069 viewsnshearman1

Well that went south fast on 23:20 - Jan 2 by Darth_Koont

Cairney was ridiculously good throughout — but unplayable when we were down to 10.

I thought we'd at least started to get the measure of Johansen and Norwood but then they also had the time and space to turn it on.

Agree with most of what's said in this thread. I have a soft spot for Fulham - my grandfather supported them, there's the Sir Bobby connections, and their unique old ground has real atmosphere. Right now they are a quality passing side who seem to be hitting their stride, balanced, organised and with deadly quick wingers. I think by the end of the season they'll be play-off contenders.
Well that went south fast on 07:52 - Jan 3 with 3959 viewsSteve_M

Had the ball been there it might have been a yellow card; it wasn't so that was always going to be a red card. Utterly stupid challenge although I still can't understand why neither Stroud nor the linesman gave the foul on Sears. It looked like a stamp from Kobano on Waghorn at the end to me too.

I thought we were ok, with Fulham making hard work of things until the equaliser but dropped so deep after that we just invited pressure. Neither Smith nor Skuse looked fully fit to me and that sluggishness contributed to the ease Fulham passed around us.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Well that went south fast on 08:59 - Jan 3 with 3882 viewsRadlett_blue

I saw the game very much as you did. At first sight, I thought the red was very harsh & unsurprisingly the Fulham player made a real meal of it & his mates surrounded the referee. However, after seeing the replay it was a clear red & while Stroud is a poor ref, at least he thought about the decision & consulted the lino rather than immediately producing the red. I also didn't think that Sears was fouled & it was legitimated shoulder to shoulder use by a stronger player, although may refs would have given the foul.
WE actually competed pretty well for 10 minutes or so after the red, but once Fulham got one it was inevitable they were going to get more as we'd been chasing them for most of the game.
I'd be amazed if Evans got rid of Mick before the summer. We don't look in real danger of getting sucked into a relegation scrap as long as we pad out the squad with a few loanees, which we probably will. I think Mick will probably go in the summer, but think Evans will simply replace him with another Championship warhorse used to surviving on a limited budget.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Well that went south fast on 10:34 - Jan 3 with 3807 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 08:59 - Jan 3 by Radlett_blue

I saw the game very much as you did. At first sight, I thought the red was very harsh & unsurprisingly the Fulham player made a real meal of it & his mates surrounded the referee. However, after seeing the replay it was a clear red & while Stroud is a poor ref, at least he thought about the decision & consulted the lino rather than immediately producing the red. I also didn't think that Sears was fouled & it was legitimated shoulder to shoulder use by a stronger player, although may refs would have given the foul.
WE actually competed pretty well for 10 minutes or so after the red, but once Fulham got one it was inevitable they were going to get more as we'd been chasing them for most of the game.
I'd be amazed if Evans got rid of Mick before the summer. We don't look in real danger of getting sucked into a relegation scrap as long as we pad out the squad with a few loanees, which we probably will. I think Mick will probably go in the summer, but think Evans will simply replace him with another Championship warhorse used to surviving on a limited budget.

I think the TV angle made the challenge on Sears look worse than it was. From the stand it seemed pretty obvious it was a robust shoulder challenge - one that some refs may give a foul for but certainly nothing more than that

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Whether we can replace Mick with someone better is one thing, but really the question is whether Evans will be able to identify someone better, which I’m very doubtful of

Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 with 3785 viewsblueislander

Well that went south fast on 10:34 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think the TV angle made the challenge on Sears look worse than it was. From the stand it seemed pretty obvious it was a robust shoulder challenge - one that some refs may give a foul for but certainly nothing more than that

Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Whether we can replace Mick with someone better is one thing, but really the question is whether Evans will be able to identify someone better, which I’m very doubtful of

I think that Evans will wait till the end of our cup run before he makes a decision on McCarthy's future.
Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 with 3782 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 10:34 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

From the stand it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was a foul on Sears but possibly your angle of vision was different to mine.
Spence had to go but his challenge,I think, came from the frustration of multiple errors by the below average height referee culminating in the non award of a freekick for the foul(in my opinion)on Sears.
I have not yet seen any of it on TV but in view of what you say I do not think that I will be changing my opinion on the Sears incident when I do.
Well that went south fast on 10:47 - Jan 3 with 3768 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 by PJH

From the stand it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was a foul on Sears but possibly your angle of vision was different to mine.
Spence had to go but his challenge,I think, came from the frustration of multiple errors by the below average height referee culminating in the non award of a freekick for the foul(in my opinion)on Sears.
I have not yet seen any of it on TV but in view of what you say I do not think that I will be changing my opinion on the Sears incident when I do.

It was clearly a foul on Sears.

Well that went south fast on 10:50 - Jan 3 with 3755 viewsitfcjoe

Well that went south fast on 10:47 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

I didn't think it was in real time - he took a poor touch and lost out for strength.

On the replays it looks more like one, but they don't show pace both players were going at it as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Well that went south fast on 10:51 - Jan 3 with 3751 viewshoppy

Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 by PJH

That's pretty much how I viewed it too, without having seen it replayed on tv yet.

I was glad there was no goal in the first 5 mins, as we decided to make the trip, but a frustrating 2 hour visit to the VIrgin Media store in Walthamstow trying to sort a problem out with a new phone made us late getting across London and arriving. As you know, ast time I was there, arriving 20 seconds after kick off meant I missed seeing Sears scoring.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Well that went south fast on 10:54 - Jan 3 with 3742 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 by blueislander

I think that Evans will wait till the end of our cup run before he makes a decision on McCarthy's future.

Would be changing the habits of his reign if he does - pretty obvious the club hasn’t given two hoots about the cup for some time now

Well that went south fast on 10:54 - Jan 3 with 3739 viewsRadlett_blue

Well that went south fast on 10:50 - Jan 3 by itfcjoe

I didn't think it was in real time - he took a poor touch and lost out for strength.

On the replays it looks more like one, but they don't show pace both players were going at it as well

Whether it was or wasn't doesn't change the fact that Spence was stupid & reckless, although to his credit he seems happy to admit it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Well that went south fast on 10:55 - Jan 3 with 3734 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 10:51 - Jan 3 by hoppy

That's pretty much how I viewed it too, without having seen it replayed on tv yet.

I was glad there was no goal in the first 5 mins, as we decided to make the trip, but a frustrating 2 hour visit to the VIrgin Media store in Walthamstow trying to sort a problem out with a new phone made us late getting across London and arriving. As you know, ast time I was there, arriving 20 seconds after kick off meant I missed seeing Sears scoring.

Same re Sears last time I went, was under the stand having a p*ss on the basis that nothing will happen in the first 30 seconds...

Well that went south fast on 10:56 - Jan 3 with 3728 viewshoppy

Well that went south fast on 10:43 - Jan 3 by blueislander

So, more news on Sunday then?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Well that went south fast on 10:57 - Jan 3 with 3724 viewsblueislander

Well that went south fast on 10:50 - Jan 3 by itfcjoe

The foul , or not, on Sears is totally irrelevant in terms of the stupidity of Spence's actions.
Well that went south fast on 10:58 - Jan 3 with 3722 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 10:51 - Jan 3 by hoppy

We will never know if we would have held out for the win with 11 players but going down to 10 made it next to impossible,even so we got through 15 minutes before it all collapsed.
I did see Bluebell and Mr Bluebell and also Rommy but I did not see my female photographer.(or you).
Well that went south fast on 10:59 - Jan 3 with 3714 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 10:47 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

It wasn’t clearly a foul - aggressive yes but that doesn’t make it automatically a foul

Well that went south fast on 11:00 - Jan 3 with 3705 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well that went south fast on 10:57 - Jan 3 by blueislander

The foul , or not, on Sears is totally irrelevant in terms of the stupidity of Spence's actions.

Yep, this

Well that went south fast on 11:01 - Jan 3 with 3700 viewsPJH

Well that went south fast on 10:57 - Jan 3 by blueislander

I don't think anyone is disputing the stupidity of Spence's actions but the award of a freekick for the foul on Sears would have prevented those actions.
Well that went south fast on 11:16 - Jan 3 with 3660 viewsHerbivore

Well that went south fast on 10:59 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It wasn’t clearly a foul - aggressive yes but that doesn’t make it automatically a foul

Disagree. He completely cleared Sears out, it was a foul.

Well that went south fast on 11:21 - Jan 3 with 3644 viewsblueislander

Well that went south fast on 11:01 - Jan 3 by PJH

I don't think anyone is disputing the stupidity of Spence's actions but the award of a freekick for the foul on Sears would have prevented those actions.

That is irrelevant. You don't go kicking people up in the air off the ball just because you think a free kick should have been awarded in your favour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024