Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation 12:59 - Jan 3 with 31202 viewsJohnny_Boy

Weren't we all led to believe he wasn't good enough at this level?
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:17 - Jan 3 with 10113 viewsMattinLondon

And he may well not be good enough. Just because leeds are prepared to spend a lot of money on him it doesn’t prove that he is good enough.
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:18 - Jan 3 with 10087 viewsJ2BLUE

Really? Years late and after a lot of development in the lower leagues. Does that mean he was good enough when he was here? It's a stupid argument.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:18 - Jan 3 with 10090 viewsSwailsey

I don't think so?

Similar to Hourihane it wasn't felt that he was at this level at the time of his release, but seems to have mature into a better player.

Whether he should have been given the chance, I'm not sure.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:36 - Jan 3 with 10001 viewsJohnny_Boy

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:18 - Jan 3 by J2BLUE

Really? Years late and after a lot of development in the lower leagues. Does that mean he was good enough when he was here? It's a stupid argument.

Wasn't most of the development on loan to lower clubs as a Town player?

Two appearances for ITFC.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2018 13:45]
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:39 - Jan 3 with 9978 viewsJohnny_Boy

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:17 - Jan 3 by MattinLondon

And he may well not be good enough. Just because leeds are prepared to spend a lot of money on him it doesn’t prove that he is good enough.

But we could have found out ourselves without spending £4m
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:40 - Jan 3 with 9964 viewsITFCBlues

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:36 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

Wasn't most of the development on loan to lower clubs as a Town player?

Two appearances for ITFC.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2018 13:45]

NO it wasn’t, try again.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:41 - Jan 3 with 9953 viewsJohnny_Boy

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:18 - Jan 3 by Swailsey

I don't think so?

Similar to Hourihane it wasn't felt that he was at this level at the time of his release, but seems to have mature into a better player.

Whether he should have been given the chance, I'm not sure.

There was plenty of disgruntlement at his release - IIRC.
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:42 - Jan 3 with 9937 viewsGlasgowBlue

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:39 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

It's the Evans way. We can't afford to carry any passengers.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:43 - Jan 3 with 9940 viewsartsbossbeard

I believe that he's the only footballer ever to drop down a league to get some game time, improve his overall game and then get himself to somewhere near what Town thought he was capable of.

Er, Mick out1!!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:45 - Jan 3 with 9908 viewsartsbossbeard

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:42 - Jan 3 by GlasgowBlue

It's the Evans way. We can't afford to carry any passengers.

Or Association Football as it's better known.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:56 - Jan 3 with 9818 viewsJ2BLUE

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:41 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

I don't think you do. We all knew it was coming and virtually no one cared at the time.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:58 - Jan 3 with 9799 viewsartsbossbeard

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:41 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

YRW

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:58 - Jan 3 with 9788 viewsGlasgowBlue

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:45 - Jan 3 by artsbossbeard

Or Association Football as it's better known.

Nope. Look at the Moore situation. A player who has been banging in the goals in a league below. I league, I might add, that we could one day see ourselves playing in. And we are looking to sell him for £250,000. Pennies in the world of "Association Football".

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:04 - Jan 3 with 9743 viewsHerbivore

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:39 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

How would we have done that then? The season immediately after he left we had Didz, Murphy, Pitman and Sears. He would have got zero game time ahead of those four. In the two years after he left us Marriott scored a total of 22 goals in League 2, again not the kind of form that suggested he'd be ripping it up for us. He has developed into someone who might get a chance in the Championship now precisely because he's spent two and a half years developing at a lower level. How would he have progressed to being that player by being stuck in our reserves?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:05 - Jan 3 with 9736 viewsartsbossbeard

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 13:58 - Jan 3 by GlasgowBlue

Nope. Look at the Moore situation. A player who has been banging in the goals in a league below. I league, I might add, that we could one day see ourselves playing in. And we are looking to sell him for £250,000. Pennies in the world of "Association Football".

Moore went out on loan to a team a league below and has banged in some goals. In the league below.

Peterborough are interested, in the league below, and therefore maybe he has found his level in the league below. Unfortunately for us, Association Football teams in the league below don't have the finances of the league above.

Fair play to Moore though as I witnessed first hand his sub appearance at Norwich away where he looked like a competition winner.

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:08 - Jan 3 with 9706 viewsJohnny_Boy

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:04 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

How would we have done that then? The season immediately after he left we had Didz, Murphy, Pitman and Sears. He would have got zero game time ahead of those four. In the two years after he left us Marriott scored a total of 22 goals in League 2, again not the kind of form that suggested he'd be ripping it up for us. He has developed into someone who might get a chance in the Championship now precisely because he's spent two and a half years developing at a lower level. How would he have progressed to being that player by being stuck in our reserves?

How long was Rhodes on our books, whilst out on loan?
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:11 - Jan 3 with 9661 viewsRichOBlue

He wanted to leave,regular 1st team football and Luton offered him a decent pay rise

Poll: What formation suits us best?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:12 - Jan 3 with 9656 viewsHerbivore

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:08 - Jan 3 by Johnny_Boy

How long was Rhodes on our books, whilst out on loan?

Rhodes had a similar amount of loan spells as Marriott, but Rhodes scores goals in all of his spells and they were at a higher level. Marriott had 4 or 5 spells where he didn't score or barely played because he wasn't good enough at the time. The situations aren't comparable.

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:14 - Jan 3 with 9635 viewsshoopdelang

Well maybe when he was here he wasn't and he has since improved. Not sure on the facts of this but a Spurs mate of mine told me they almost swapped gareth bale for stewart downing a few years ago lol..... You can't always predict how well players will do.
This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:16 - Jan 3 with 9602 viewsBrixtonBlue

Simple. You loan him out rather than release/sell. See also Rhodes.

Didn't see a lot of him but he looked to have something about him to me and I was disappointed when we let him go (not livid, though, as I was with Rhodes).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:17 - Jan 3 with 9598 viewsitfcjoe

In that season Luke Varney managed to get a load of minutes

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:19 - Jan 3 with 9577 viewsartsbossbeard

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:11 - Jan 3 by RichOBlue

He wanted to leave,regular 1st team football and Luton offered him a decent pay rise

Sshh! This doesn't fit the "clubs at fault" narrative, so therefore can't be true.

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:22 - Jan 3 with 9557 viewsHerbivore

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:17 - Jan 3 by itfcjoe

In that season Luke Varney managed to get a load of minutes

Mostly playing wide right, in a role Marriott couldn't have played. We've done this to death, Joe. Releasing him was the right call at the time.

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:22 - Jan 3 with 9557 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:16 - Jan 3 by BrixtonBlue

Didn't see a lot of him but he looked to have something about him to me and I was disappointed when we let him go (not livid, though, as I was with Rhodes).

We loaned him out 6 times prior to releasing him

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:23 - Jan 3 with 9534 viewsHerbivore

This Marriott £4m Leeds speculation on 14:16 - Jan 3 by BrixtonBlue

How long should we keep these youngsters for, paying them a salary, before deciding whether or not they're likely to make it? We're not a Prem club anymore, we can't have a load of 22 year old former academy players with 2 appearances to their name sat on our payroll.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024