Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bosses pay 13:42 - Jan 4 with 2290 viewsNo9

Isn't it completely stupid that 'bosses' will earn as much by yesterday as mpst people will earn all year.
How does that help the UK economy?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/fat-cat-wednesday-uks-top-bosses-set-to-have-

Bosses pay on 14:04 - Jan 4 with 2247 viewsGuthrum

It is stupid that things are that far out of kilter, but the figures are also a bit misleading.

Those numbers for "top executive pay" usually include share options, which mostly do not mature for several years and only render a profit if the share price has gone up by the end of that period.

Actual salaries for chief execs are more like £100 an hour (46 x 40 hour weeks) than the £1,000 quoted. A lot more than £7.20 minimum wage, but a much smaller multiplier of the amount that experienced professionals (including tradesmen) and middle-managers are on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bosses pay on 14:15 - Jan 4 with 2228 viewsipswich78

What would be a fair gap?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Bosses pay on 14:30 - Jan 4 with 2203 viewsPendejo

Bosses pay on 14:15 - Jan 4 by ipswich78

Very tricky question, however, when average workers' pay has stagnated, or worse, and the bosses have surged ahead creating a bigger gap something is very wrong.

My company has paid 1 across the board pay rise [to the office staff] in 10 years, whereas I know the COO went from £60k to over £100k in that period... then tripled his investment when the management sold the company in June 2016

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Bosses pay on 14:35 - Jan 4 with 2201 viewsNo9

Bosses pay on 14:04 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

It is stupid that things are that far out of kilter, but the figures are also a bit misleading.

Those numbers for "top executive pay" usually include share options, which mostly do not mature for several years and only render a profit if the share price has gone up by the end of that period.

Actual salaries for chief execs are more like £100 an hour (46 x 40 hour weeks) than the £1,000 quoted. A lot more than £7.20 minimum wage, but a much smaller multiplier of the amount that experienced professionals (including tradesmen) and middle-managers are on.

I believe there are more people on £100 p.h. that you would consider likely.
Top execs pay is considerably more & their perks are significan't e.g. car, driver, etc. etc.
She options etc. are normaly only a top up & then only if they can organise them 'untaxed'
Bosses pay on 14:53 - Jan 4 with 2175 viewsipswich78

Bosses pay on 14:30 - Jan 4 by Pendejo

Very tricky question, however, when average workers' pay has stagnated, or worse, and the bosses have surged ahead creating a bigger gap something is very wrong.

My company has paid 1 across the board pay rise [to the office staff] in 10 years, whereas I know the COO went from £60k to over £100k in that period... then tripled his investment when the management sold the company in June 2016

Buy arguably who is having a bigger individual impact on the business? The 'average worker' or the COO? It would suggest that the COO is doing something right on the business front to keep his position?

The thing is - there is no right or wrong answer. Whatever top executives get paid there will always be people grumbling about it. I get paid a lot more than some people I work with (percentage wise), and others get paid a lot more than me. Could I do the job of the people who earn more than me? Probably not, whilst I possess some of the skills - other elements of their job I wouldn't have a clue about.

Personally, I get less bothered by what top executives earn - I am more interested in my peers and want to ensure I remain commensurately compensated based on my level of experience, skills and the value (and revenue) I bring to the business.

I always argue that performance related pay should be more common as opposed to a flat salary. Most people have some sort of KPI against them which can be measured in some way.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2018 14:53]

Bosses pay on 15:03 - Jan 4 with 2149 viewsPendejo

Bosses pay on 14:53 - Jan 4 by ipswich78

Buy arguably who is having a bigger individual impact on the business? The 'average worker' or the COO? It would suggest that the COO is doing something right on the business front to keep his position?

The thing is - there is no right or wrong answer. Whatever top executives get paid there will always be people grumbling about it. I get paid a lot more than some people I work with (percentage wise), and others get paid a lot more than me. Could I do the job of the people who earn more than me? Probably not, whilst I possess some of the skills - other elements of their job I wouldn't have a clue about.

Personally, I get less bothered by what top executives earn - I am more interested in my peers and want to ensure I remain commensurately compensated based on my level of experience, skills and the value (and revenue) I bring to the business.

I always argue that performance related pay should be more common as opposed to a flat salary. Most people have some sort of KPI against them which can be measured in some way.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2018 14:53]

Last paragraph 100% + profit related element

uberima fides

Bosses pay on 15:08 - Jan 4 with 2140 viewsipswich78

Bosses pay on 15:03 - Jan 4 by Pendejo

Last paragraph 100% + profit related element

Gross or net profit? Profit is a difficult one, a company could decide to make a large capital investment just before year end to reduce tax on profits - thus technically the company hasn't made any profit so an individual would be affected.

Also, being cynical a company could work their accounts to show zero profit - thus negating the need to pay out on any 'bonus'.

Bosses pay on 15:14 - Jan 4 with 2123 viewsPendejo

Bosses pay on 15:08 - Jan 4 by ipswich78

Gross or net profit? Profit is a difficult one, a company could decide to make a large capital investment just before year end to reduce tax on profits - thus technically the company hasn't made any profit so an individual would be affected.

Also, being cynical a company could work their accounts to show zero profit - thus negating the need to pay out on any 'bonus'.

SO you are saying they are inherently devious and likely the screw over their employees whatever the deal... noice

uberima fides

Login to get fewer ads

Bosses pay on 15:22 - Jan 4 with 2116 viewsNo9

Bosses pay on 15:08 - Jan 4 by ipswich78

" a company could decide to make a large capital investment just before year end to reduce tax on profits"

Considering government policy since 2010 that is not necessarily correct
Bosses pay on 15:29 - Jan 4 with 2109 viewsipswich78

Bosses pay on 15:14 - Jan 4 by Pendejo

SO you are saying they are inherently devious and likely the screw over their employees whatever the deal... noice

No, I am saying 'they' could be.

Humans, whether at the bottom end of the pay scale or at the top end can be scumbags. Just saying if you want things to be 'fair' then you have to remove variables that can stop that being the case.

Bosses pay on 16:48 - Jan 4 with 2052 viewsfactual_blue

Bosses pay on 14:15 - Jan 4 by ipswich78

None.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bosses pay on 16:49 - Jan 4 with 2045 viewsGeoffSentence

trickle down or something

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising