Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections 14:40 - Jan 7 with 8132 viewssparks

During the last fortnight I have had the pleasure of seeing Gavin Williams playing for Merthyr against Frome Town.

He did the second half and appears to be involved in coaching now. Still has quick feet and was fairly instrumental in changing the game. Played up front, more or less.

Then yesterday I watched Asmir Begovic's younger brother in goal for Paulton Rovers. made a couple of decent saves, but really can't kick. Seems to be a thing with academy keepers- they seem to be so firmly coached to look for the short balls out to play a passing game from the back, that they lack some of the basic ability to give it a good clog from a backpass...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:50 - Jan 7 with 6383 viewsNumber_Nine

I gave up on ITFC about 18 months ago, and have recently started going to non-league games, following my local side Woodbridge. Enjoyable day at Diss yesterday (£10 for me & Mrs Nine) with Woodbridge winning 4-0 to remain unbeaten this season in the league. Woodbridge are awaiting international clearance for Carlos Edwards to play for them. Standard is pretty good (better than a lot of ITFC in the past 5 years).

If everyone is so fed up with Ipswich, go out and enjoy non-league.

We are going to Kings Lynn next week, which should be a good game.

2∞&→ Science gives me a hadron
Poll: Best Pink Floyd File

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:55 - Jan 7 with 6361 viewssparks

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:50 - Jan 7 by Number_Nine

I gave up on ITFC about 18 months ago, and have recently started going to non-league games, following my local side Woodbridge. Enjoyable day at Diss yesterday (£10 for me & Mrs Nine) with Woodbridge winning 4-0 to remain unbeaten this season in the league. Woodbridge are awaiting international clearance for Carlos Edwards to play for them. Standard is pretty good (better than a lot of ITFC in the past 5 years).

People have become so accustomed to the dross being served up at PR, that I think many might be surprised at the skills on show at non league level.

I started my non league habit with Diss some years ago now.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:26 - Jan 7 with 6244 viewsBlueBadger

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:50 - Jan 7 by Number_Nine

Non league football is very refreshing for the soul after the increasingly soullessness of the professional game.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:55 - Jan 7 with 6222 viewsHarry_Palmer

I'm glad that you enjoy non league and certainly understand the appeal but the standard Woodbridge Town play at is nowhere near Championship level, It may be easier on the eye at times but that is really a different argument altogether.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:57 - Jan 7 with 6210 viewssparks

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:55 - Jan 7 by Harry_Palmer

I'm glad that you enjoy non league and certainly understand the appeal but the standard Woodbridge Town play at is nowhere near Championship level, It may be easier on the eye at times but that is really a different argument altogether.

Its not so far off. 10 % slower perhaps. No more. Fitness is less. More errors, a little less organisation. But there is good football played, at a good standard, by people who enjoy playing and generally go out to win...

Compared to the hoofball which ITFC play these days- its a breath of fresh air usually. I have been amazed and depressed pretty much each time I;ve seen a televised game over the last couple of years. If you are not a regular, you really notice just how dour the football is.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 21:50 - Jan 7 with 6120 viewsNumber_Nine

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:55 - Jan 7 by Harry_Palmer

Perhaps being at pitch level makes it seem that way, but it is far more enjoyable and positive football than the avoid failure approach we've endured at PR for so long.

I can see Woodbridge 6 times for the cost of one match at PR, the football at PR isn't 6 times better IMO. No contest at the moment.

2∞&→ Science gives me a hadron
Poll: Best Pink Floyd File

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:03 - Jan 7 with 6095 viewsHarry_Palmer

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 18:57 - Jan 7 by sparks

Its not so far off. 10 % slower perhaps. No more. Fitness is less. More errors, a little less organisation. But there is good football played, at a good standard, by people who enjoy playing and generally go out to win...

Compared to the hoofball which ITFC play these days- its a breath of fresh air usually. I have been amazed and depressed pretty much each time I;ve seen a televised game over the last couple of years. If you are not a regular, you really notice just how dour the football is.

Thurlow Nunn Division One is miles off the Championship, put those players up against a Championship team and they would not be able to do anything other than hoof it as they would be constantly under pressure. There really is no debate to be had on this.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:05 - Jan 7 with 6090 viewsHarry_Palmer

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 21:50 - Jan 7 by Number_Nine

Perhaps being at pitch level makes it seem that way, but it is far more enjoyable and positive football than the avoid failure approach we've endured at PR for so long.

I can see Woodbridge 6 times for the cost of one match at PR, the football at PR isn't 6 times better IMO. No contest at the moment.

Can't argue with that, I can certainly see the appeal.
Login to get fewer ads

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:14 - Jan 7 with 6074 viewsHerbivore

I went to Leiston yesterday and the standard was miles off the Championship in terms of quality. Anyone who suggests otherwise doesn't really know what they're watching. It was enjoyable, partly because watching as a neutral you don't have all the frustrations and emotional investments of watching a game you actually care about, but the quality really wasn't great and at £10 a pop it's not a great product for the money.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 22:20]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 22:17 - Jan 7 with 6062 views_

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:14 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

I went to Leiston yesterday and the standard was miles off the Championship in terms of quality. Anyone who suggests otherwise doesn't really know what they're watching. It was enjoyable, partly because watching as a neutral you don't have all the frustrations and emotional investments of watching a game you actually care about, but the quality really wasn't great and at £10 a pop it's not a great product for the money.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:22 - Jan 7 with 6045 viewsStNeotsBlue

on 22:17 - Jan 7 by _

Prices are often agreed/imposed at each level. At St. Neots it's a tenner as it is throughout the Southern and Northern leagues.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:23 - Jan 7 with 6039 viewsHerbivore

on 22:17 - Jan 7 by _

It's worth doing occasionally for sure, I just find the non-league fanatics who genuinely think they're watching better football in the 7th or 8th tier than you see in the Championship rather odd. It's enjoyable enough in much the same way a Marvel film can be fun, but let's not pretend you're watching the Godfather. I do think £10 for an amateur game is steep too, although appreciate the club needs to survive and they're playing at a decent level for a club of that size.

on 22:28 - Jan 7 with 6023 views_

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:23 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

It's worth doing occasionally for sure, I just find the non-league fanatics who genuinely think they're watching better football in the 7th or 8th tier than you see in the Championship rather odd. It's enjoyable enough in much the same way a Marvel film can be fun, but let's not pretend you're watching the Godfather. I do think £10 for an amateur game is steep too, although appreciate the club needs to survive and they're playing at a decent level for a club of that size.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:32 - Jan 7 with 6021 viewsStNeotsBlue

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:14 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

Has anyone said the standard is better?!?

A few have said it's more enjoyable which is a different matter entirely.

" £10 a pop it's not a great product for the money" comment is daft. Did you enjoy it?

The £10 price is set by the authorities and is fair.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:39 - Jan 7 with 5997 viewsJakeITFC

I went to Needham v Leiston on NYD, Leiston looking like a very good side for the level atm.

Great to see Byron Lawrence running the show in the middle of the park.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:39 - Jan 7 with 5990 viewsHerbivore

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:32 - Jan 7 by StNeotsBlue

Has anyone said the standard is better?!?

A few have said it's more enjoyable which is a different matter entirely.

" £10 a pop it's not a great product for the money" comment is daft. Did you enjoy it?

The £10 price is set by the authorities and is fair.

It was moderately enjoyable but didn't make me want to go back, so no it's not a daft comment. £10 a pop for 7th or 8th tier football is steep, regardless of who sets the price. In terms of standard, read Sparks' posts, he is suggesting that there is more skill on display and that there isn't much difference in quality between non-league and Championship. That's just nonsense. I guess you watch a lot of non-league so are somewhat invested in it, I'm not intending to cause offence but just pointing out there's a massive gulf and that £10 is a fair bit of money given the gap in levels.

On a related note I remember a couple of people suggesting last season that we should sign Matt Blake. We shouldn't.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:42 - Jan 7 with 5983 viewsHerbivore

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:39 - Jan 7 by JakeITFC

I went to Needham v Leiston on NYD, Leiston looking like a very good side for the level atm.

Great to see Byron Lawrence running the show in the middle of the park.

He had a pop from 25 yards late on and rattled the bar, otherwise he did nothing. Jack Ainsley looked better but there wasn't a player on show who looked remotely close to Championship standard.

on 22:43 - Jan 7 with 5977 views_

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:42 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

He had a pop from 25 yards late on and rattled the bar, otherwise he did nothing. Jack Ainsley looked better but there wasn't a player on show who looked remotely close to Championship standard.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 23:00 - Jan 7 with 5954 viewsStNeotsBlue

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:39 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

It was moderately enjoyable but didn't make me want to go back, so no it's not a daft comment. £10 a pop for 7th or 8th tier football is steep, regardless of who sets the price. In terms of standard, read Sparks' posts, he is suggesting that there is more skill on display and that there isn't much difference in quality between non-league and Championship. That's just nonsense. I guess you watch a lot of non-league so are somewhat invested in it, I'm not intending to cause offence but just pointing out there's a massive gulf and that £10 is a fair bit of money given the gap in levels.

On a related note I remember a couple of people suggesting last season that we should sign Matt Blake. We shouldn't.

It's all about style of play, a couple of years St. Neots had an Ipswich fan(I forget the guy's name) in charge with John Beck as his right hand man unsurprisingly the football was rubbish and ugly. It isn't now under different management, they're no higher up the league but watching is more enjoyable.

Absolutely no offence taken, I go to St. Neots games when I can't make an ITFC game but we are a side who are drifting at the moment. We haven't won an FA Cup tie since 2010 , we haven't beaten Norwich since Jim got shafted and I'm weary of us being so sh1te. If we win at Carrow Road I'll be made up as it is long overdue.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:03]
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 23:09 - Jan 7 with 5932 viewsJakeITFC

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:42 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

The standard is well below our level for sure, but the young kids who turn out for these sides a lot of the time would only have been an injury away from our first team (the likes of Kyle Hammond, Joe Wright etc.) when leaving the club.

It’s silly to compare the quality overall though, with that I agree.
A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 23:10 - Jan 7 with 5925 viewsHerbivore

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 23:00 - Jan 7 by StNeotsBlue

It's all about style of play, a couple of years St. Neots had an Ipswich fan(I forget the guy's name) in charge with John Beck as his right hand man unsurprisingly the football was rubbish and ugly. It isn't now under different management, they're no higher up the league but watching is more enjoyable.

Absolutely no offence taken, I go to St. Neots games when I can't make an ITFC game but we are a side who are drifting at the moment. We haven't won an FA Cup tie since 2010 , we haven't beaten Norwich since Jim got shafted and I'm weary of us being so sh1te. If we win at Carrow Road I'll be made up as it is long overdue.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:03]

Fair dos mate, I can understand that. I still enjoy going to watch Town, nothing else can match the visceral feeling I get from it. I still go mad when we score, give the ref pelters when he doesn't give the 'right' decision, even if we're shoite I'm still buzzing after a win. I know not everyone feels the same though, but I like being a Town fan and still have that raw emotional connection to it that makes watching us play a unique experience.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 23:27 - Jan 7 with 5908 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:55 - Jan 7 by sparks

People have become so accustomed to the dross being served up at PR, that I think many might be surprised at the skills on show at non league level.

I started my non league habit with Diss some years ago now.

Used to watch Diss a fair bit, the season they won the FA Vase they had the likes of Peter Mendham, Paul Warne & Paul Gibbs who joined Colchester, also played at PR for Torquay in the league cup IIRC. That season the football was a very good standard although they never scaled those heights again.
In more recent times have been to watch Brantham Athletic, Ipswich Wanderers, Debenham LC, Bury, Sudbury. never a particularly great standard but very enjoyable, a fiver a time & generally good for a pie & a pint or two.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:06 - Jan 8 with 5785 viewssparks

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:39 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

Please link the post where I say what you claim.

I know you have a pathological need to down vote and snipe at my every utterance but please don't make stuff up.

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:10 - Jan 8 with 5776 viewsitfcjoe

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 22:23 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

I know you don't live in Ipswich, but when I did and had a ST in the North Lower it was costing me £17 a game and I could walk to the ground.

To get to any decent non-league game (basically Ryman Division 1 or higher) and pay the £10 or £15 to get in was more expensive than watching Championship football.

I can totally understand those who don't live near a pro club doing so, especially if within walking distance but it isn't for me. I've watched Ipswich Wanderers a few times as is just over the road from where I now live and I find the standard almost unwatchably bad - probably why you can have a beer by the side of the pitch.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 15:07 - Jan 8 with 5748 viewshype313

A brief diversion from the misery- non league ITFC connections on 14:10 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I know you don't live in Ipswich, but when I did and had a ST in the North Lower it was costing me £17 a game and I could walk to the ground.

To get to any decent non-league game (basically Ryman Division 1 or higher) and pay the £10 or £15 to get in was more expensive than watching Championship football.

I can totally understand those who don't live near a pro club doing so, especially if within walking distance but it isn't for me. I've watched Ipswich Wanderers a few times as is just over the road from where I now live and I find the standard almost unwatchably bad - probably why you can have a beer by the side of the pitch.

I wouldn't use Wanderers as a yardstick, they are having huge financial problems and are getting smashed every week.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024