Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
78 Cup Final memories 15:33 - Jan 7 with 1979 viewsgainsboroughblue

On a positive note regarding the FA Cup, what are peoples memories of that great day? How did you get there, where did you drink etc etc.

The one day I regret being too young for. I was 5 years old and in an absolutely deserted town centre (wouldn't even get that now if we got to Wembley) with my mum in the morning and lunchtime and when at home can recall my dad jumping up to celebrate the goal. Apparently, I was more interested in playing with my toy cars. Didn't really get into football until the 80-81 season, which also wasn't a bad time to start.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

78 Cup Final memories on 15:56 - Jan 7 with 1953 viewsgerard1947

My daughter was due to be born the day of the final, she made her appearance on the 1st luckily although my wife had agreed I could have gone as long as she hadn't gone to labour that morning.

I went with my dad, we got the train from Colchester. I was driving a VW Beetle at that time, as drove down The Avenue of Remembrance a stone hit my windscreen and it shattered. I parked in a multi story cp it was breezy ride home, but we didn't care.

I'll never forget the day, we stood by the bus entrance to the stadium and clapped the boys in. I can remember the game so vividly, every bit, the rough wooden seats, the woman I sat next to who was watching her first ever game. I had a moan, all those fans who couldn't get a ticket and her sitting there bored.

It was a tight game we rattled the woodwork I feared it wasn't going to be our game. Then Geddis, a half clearance then Osbourne. I cried.

Mills shook hands with all the VIPs then he lifted the cup, I cried again, I was not alone.
78 Cup Final memories on 16:00 - Jan 7 with 1945 viewsBraveDave

The build up was incredible. Shops and houses covered in blue and white all over town. Caught one of the 6 special trains, got to the stadium before it had opened, with thousands of Town fans sitting on the outside steps waving flags and banners. For some reason we were underdogs, but I just knew we were going to win. The atmosphere, the balloons, it probably couldn't have been a more perfect day. Then the next day on the Cornhill - scenes! Beattie and Hunter appearing in the window of the pub when they should have been at the civic reception next door in the Town Hall. That's about 1% of my memories of the day!
78 Cup Final memories on 16:17 - Jan 7 with 1923 viewsazuremerlangus

I was 10.

I remember the day very vividly. As I didn't have a ticket I walked to Christchurch park from the Crofts part of town (I remember walking/cycling everywhere when I was a kid) for the Swap Shop roadshow. Saw Delia Smith (with her infamous rosette), Keith Chegwin (RIP) and all the noise associated with it.

Apart from watching the match on TV (black and white) at home the bit I really remember is the walk home after the roadshow had finished with a mate I had bumped into at the park. We had a great chat about the match all the way home - the feeling of excitement and expectation was electric. When I think back about that day it felt like it was going to be our afternoon.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

78 Cup Final memories on 16:22 - Jan 7 with 1915 viewsPJH

I was working for a Ships Agency on Cliff Quay at the time and I went on a coach arranged by Fisons. Took my own beer in a plastic container filled up at Woodbridge RBL the night before.
Not sure what time we got there but it was quite early.
There were already loads of ITFC fans there and I remember eventually seeing an Arsenal fan and saying to them that "I wondered who else was there today".
It was great being part of the sea of blue when the teams came out(as was the Playoff Final).
Remember Big Al nailing Malcolm MacDonald early on and it seemed that we were in control from that moment.
Hitting the woodwork three times,Jennings saving from Georgie Burley then Roger Osborne burying his chance.
Final whistle,Millsy lifting the Cup,the players lap of honour and celebrations in front of us-great moments.

I only have to look over my shoulder now to see the photo on the wall of Millsy,Warky,My Son,Myself,The Beat and Roger Osborne with the F.A. Cup from a Blues Foundation event from 10 years ago to bring all the memories back.
78 Cup Final memories on 16:33 - Jan 7 with 1896 viewsLord_Lucan

I was 12 and was staying In Chelmsford with my Nan, went to the game with my cousin on an organised coach.

Chelmsford was blue and white.

Our window got put in on the way back.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

78 Cup Final memories on 16:44 - Jan 7 with 1863 viewsITFC_Forever

I was 3, but have a vague memory of watching it on tv and my Dad cheering when the goal went in.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

78 Cup Final memories on 16:56 - Jan 7 with 1848 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

78 Cup Final memories on 15:56 - Jan 7 by gerard1947

My daughter was due to be born the day of the final, she made her appearance on the 1st luckily although my wife had agreed I could have gone as long as she hadn't gone to labour that morning.

I went with my dad, we got the train from Colchester. I was driving a VW Beetle at that time, as drove down The Avenue of Remembrance a stone hit my windscreen and it shattered. I parked in a multi story cp it was breezy ride home, but we didn't care.

I'll never forget the day, we stood by the bus entrance to the stadium and clapped the boys in. I can remember the game so vividly, every bit, the rough wooden seats, the woman I sat next to who was watching her first ever game. I had a moan, all those fans who couldn't get a ticket and her sitting there bored.

It was a tight game we rattled the woodwork I feared it wasn't going to be our game. Then Geddis, a half clearance then Osbourne. I cried.

Mills shook hands with all the VIPs then he lifted the cup, I cried again, I was not alone.

Only missed Cardiff away in the cup run, couldn,t get a ticket for the final, was gutted. Sat at home with my dad & a fellow Town supporting mate with a few beers & watched in tv. Osborne 1 0.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

78 Cup Final memories on 17:13 - Jan 7 with 1820 viewsFtnfwest

I was not quite 12 and watched on tv having gone to the quarter and semi but never live locally so missed out on a final ticket. Watched from 9am onwards, all the build up etc. Hit the ceiling when we scored, unlike the old man who was a Tottenham fan and merely glanced over the top of his newspaper!
Login to get fewer ads

78 Cup Final memories on 17:38 - Jan 7 with 1789 viewshammo56

Coming back on the coach from Wembley and all the people standing on the bridges waving at us like we were the players.
Inside the stadium was on the terrace in the Town end right at the back and remember a lady who shall we say was getting on in years and was standing in front of us going absolutely berserk when we scored and tried to jump on the back of the bloke in front of her.
As they say TWTD!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024