Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Perhaps a controversial view 19:19 - Jan 8 with 2687 viewsclive_baker

And I’m certainly not knocking the guy, nor do I think we have or necessarily could do any better with the resources available to us, but what are people’s view on Webster?

Some like to make he’s he’s this rolls Royce, ball playing, Baresi-esque defender that’s destined for premier league football (ok I’m exaggerating somewhat), but I’m yet to see it to be honest. I’m not convinced he’s that good with the ball, certainly gets bullied and beaten in the air too often for my liking and seems to have a mistake in him.

Before anyone pipes up through their blue tinted glasses accusing me of scapegoating anyone, I’m not at all. Genuinely interested to see how others have read his performances, it’s a game of opinions aftersll. I do think we need to be mindful that he’s had struggles with fitness, so in his defence I’m sure he’s still finding his feet to an extent.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:34 - Jan 8 with 2607 viewsBloomBlue

Depends who you're comparing with, John Stones is viewed as one of the best ball playing CH's in the country not sure Webster's at that level.
Perhaps a controversial view on 19:35 - Jan 8 with 2604 viewsSteve_M

He's not quite hit the same form as last season but he's put in some good defensive performances - notably against Hugill - I think he's been told to defend first and then worry about what to do on the ball which is right.

So, a good player worthy of being in the team but one with the potential to go a lot further. I doubt that will be next Summer though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:50 - Jan 8 with 2538 viewsclive_baker

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:35 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

He's not quite hit the same form as last season but he's put in some good defensive performances - notably against Hugill - I think he's been told to defend first and then worry about what to do on the ball which is right.

So, a good player worthy of being in the team but one with the potential to go a lot further. I doubt that will be next Summer though.

I hope you’re right. Would love to see him stay fit and really kick on (with us). He definitely has good attributes, I just think he has an awful lot to work on. He has age on his side. Time will tell I’m sure.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:55 - Jan 8 with 2512 viewsHerbivore

Derby game aside he looked to be getting back into some form having been quite hit and miss since returning from injury. I think he's got a lot of potential but he needs a proper season at this level to progress and start to fulfil that potential. He's good on the ball, his long passes aren't usually aimless punts and he's comfortable with both feet to the extent he's taken free kicks with his left peg despite being right footed. He's made the odd good run out of defence with the ball as well. Definitely has work to do, especially defensively where he gets turned too easily at times, but there's a player in there for me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Perhaps a controversial view on 20:11 - Jan 8 with 2455 viewsolimar

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:55 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

Derby game aside he looked to be getting back into some form having been quite hit and miss since returning from injury. I think he's got a lot of potential but he needs a proper season at this level to progress and start to fulfil that potential. He's good on the ball, his long passes aren't usually aimless punts and he's comfortable with both feet to the extent he's taken free kicks with his left peg despite being right footed. He's made the odd good run out of defence with the ball as well. Definitely has work to do, especially defensively where he gets turned too easily at times, but there's a player in there for me.

Chambers quote on Radio interview- "Ive watched him lining up to take free kicks with his left foot and thought "whats going on here?" and then watched him ping it perfectly across the pitch".

He clearly rates him.

Just before he got injured last season, around this time, he was looking an outside bet to be sold in that window, he had really found a rhythm. He will get it again Im sure, but the injuries really havent helped- not to mention that hes playing on his wrong side now, so to have adapted is another feather in his cap.
Perhaps a controversial view on 20:26 - Jan 8 with 2413 viewsitfcjoe

I thought last season he played very well but made a number of big mistakes. It was unfortunate because he was nearly giving away a goal a game at one point despite looking quality for 89 minutes.

He took a while to recover from his injury and get back fit, but thought he was flying before he really struggled the game he went off injured (Derby?) and clearly it had caught up with him. What's amazed me is that because he is now playing on the left he is playing left footed in everything he does - that's class from a right gooter to treat a game like a training game when can only use your wrong foot and still look good on the ball over short and long passes.

His defending has certainly improved this year, going up against some good strikers and having a proper battle - he's a fair way from finished article but can see why he is highly rated as seems to have scope to improve in most areas whilst still being currently a good player

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Perhaps a controversial view on 07:53 - Jan 9 with 2175 viewstcblue

He's by far our best defender in terms of potential, IMO.

Nothing more or less, I'm not sure anyone has compared him to Baresi or John Stones, but certainly what's also true is that compared with our CBs over the past recent memory (perhaps even a decade?) he's far more comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Perhaps a controversial view on 08:09 - Jan 9 with 2140 viewsNazemariner

In all honesty I’m not sure what game you’re watching. Fantastic player. Still learning of course, so makes the occasional error in judgement, but other than that he’s the best centre half I’ve seen at the club since John Mcgreal.
Login to get fewer ads

Perhaps a controversial view on 10:26 - Jan 9 with 2027 viewsKieran_Knows

Perhaps a controversial view on 19:35 - Jan 8 by Steve_M

Also had a very good game up against Murphy a month or so ago.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Perhaps a controversial view on 10:31 - Jan 9 with 2016 viewsuncle

I think he's a cracking player, who might be struggling after his time out, and the ups and down down downs of the team around him probably aren't helping. From memory, he was in a settled back four early on and looked fantastic. Now things are less settled, and he looks less fantastic.

But I think he's much better on the ball than the rest of our defensive players.
Perhaps a controversial view on 11:37 - Jan 9 with 1967 viewsJKITFC1

He didn't put a foot wrong against QPR. Won every header and challenge, even the low percentage ones.

In terms of the ball playing, his left-footed long balls were more pinpoint than those of Tommy Smith, despite that being his weaker foot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024