Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He's gone!! 09:34 - Jan 9 with 8929 viewsArcher4721

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/09/toby-young-resigns-office-for-stud
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 9:37]
He's gone!! on 09:35 - Jan 9 with 4776 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Meh.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

He's gone!! on 09:37 - Jan 9 with 4762 viewschicoazul

Toby Young is of course an rsehole and a dickhead, but I do think this furore points to something that will happen a lot more in future, that people's digital past will catch up with them in a way people's actual past does not. Remember, if it can be done to him, it can be done to any of us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

He's gone!! on 09:38 - Jan 9 with 4749 viewsLord_Lucan

You're a bit late.

It was announced ages ago.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

He's gone!! on 09:42 - Jan 9 with 4731 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 09:37 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

Toby Young is of course an rsehole and a dickhead, but I do think this furore points to something that will happen a lot more in future, that people's digital past will catch up with them in a way people's actual past does not. Remember, if it can be done to him, it can be done to any of us.

Its interesting that the tweets are from nearly a decade ago, and are being dug up as a reason for him to be sacked.

I'm not saying that some of the tweets werent in bad taste, now that people appreciate the reach and poison of twitter they would be very unlikely to post such things today.

I thought Labour supporters were a fairly liberal bunch and would allow people the chance to rehabilitate themselves and to change, rather than judge them by the person they were nearly a decade ago.

Perhaps the fact that all the tweets are so old suggests that he has changed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

He's gone!! on 09:43 - Jan 9 with 4717 viewsunbelievablue

He's gone!! on 09:42 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its interesting that the tweets are from nearly a decade ago, and are being dug up as a reason for him to be sacked.

I'm not saying that some of the tweets werent in bad taste, now that people appreciate the reach and poison of twitter they would be very unlikely to post such things today.

I thought Labour supporters were a fairly liberal bunch and would allow people the chance to rehabilitate themselves and to change, rather than judge them by the person they were nearly a decade ago.

What's it got to do with Labour supporters?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

He's gone!! on 09:49 - Jan 9 with 4677 viewsSteve_M

Yes, there is a social media problem that will become more prevalent but in Young's case the actual newspaper articles he has written should have disqualified him from the role.

He was appointed because of who he is friends with and to help create a UK culture war. Although I'm not sure which idiots looked at the state of US politics over the last two decades and thought that this is what this country needs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

He's gone!! on 09:49 - Jan 9 with 4667 viewschicoazul

The tweets were ridiculous. I dont believe that he dressed up as a lesbian and went to a fetish club in NYC to get laid but the fact he claimed he did meant he couldnt then row back and say of course not, it was all a joke/banter or whatever. But social mores are changing all the time and the people who decide on what is or is not acceptable to have an opinion on, to tweet about, to blog about etc are growing ever more powerful in our culture to the point where they can effectively dictate govt recruitment. Taken further this may soon start to apply to the everyday workplace. Your boss-to-be will demand to see a rundown on your socially broadcast opinions to check they are in step with the modern day.
Stay anonymous online brahs.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

He's gone!! on 09:50 - Jan 9 with 4657 viewschicoazul

He's gone!! on 09:49 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

Yes, there is a social media problem that will become more prevalent but in Young's case the actual newspaper articles he has written should have disqualified him from the role.

He was appointed because of who he is friends with and to help create a UK culture war. Although I'm not sure which idiots looked at the state of US politics over the last two decades and thought that this is what this country needs.

I agree he is an idiot and should never be within a million miles of the job. My point is more about our digital ghosts haunting our future selves.

Login to get fewer ads

He's gone!! on 10:01 - Jan 9 with 4605 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 09:43 - Jan 9 by unbelievablue

Primarily Labour supporters, MP's and ex MP's who want him gone.

He's gone!! on 10:03 - Jan 9 with 4595 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 09:49 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

The tweets were ridiculous. I dont believe that he dressed up as a lesbian and went to a fetish club in NYC to get laid but the fact he claimed he did meant he couldnt then row back and say of course not, it was all a joke/banter or whatever. But social mores are changing all the time and the people who decide on what is or is not acceptable to have an opinion on, to tweet about, to blog about etc are growing ever more powerful in our culture to the point where they can effectively dictate govt recruitment. Taken further this may soon start to apply to the everyday workplace. Your boss-to-be will demand to see a rundown on your socially broadcast opinions to check they are in step with the modern day.
Stay anonymous online brahs.

Luckily he wont find anything.

.....until he runs a check on TWTD.

EDIT - of course I should gave put they rather than he, as they could be female or not identify as either gender. ;-)
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 10:06]

He's gone!! on 10:11 - Jan 9 with 4564 viewsGlasgowBlue

He's gone!! on 09:43 - Jan 9 by unbelievablue

Probably because the whole clamour for Young to go came from Corbyn advisers Paul Mason and Danny Blanchflower, Labour cheerleaders Polly Toynbe and Owen Jones.

Oh and look who started this thread. So nothing to do with Labour supporters.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 10:12]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

He's gone!! on 10:13 - Jan 9 with 4549 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 10:11 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Probably because the whole clamour for Young to go came from Corbyn advisers Paul Mason and Danny Blanchflower, Labour cheerleaders Polly Toynbe and Owen Jones.

Indeed.

With Momentum toiling away in the background.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 10:14]

He's gone!! on 10:35 - Jan 9 with 4459 viewsGlasgowBlue

He's gone!! on 10:13 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

Absolutely nothing to do with Labour supporters.

Iron Lion Zion

He's gone!! on 11:03 - Jan 9 with 4393 viewsRyorry

Fourth time I've pointed this out - some of the tweets were from 2015 - and only 2 months ago he complained about some of his earlier obnoxious comments being removed from a blog by the host platform. Old leopard has not changed his spots one iota.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

He's gone!! on 11:06 - Jan 9 with 4368 viewsRyorry

He's gone!! on 10:13 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

Yeah, them and tens of thousands of decent people from across the political spectrum.

He's gone!! on 11:09 - Jan 9 with 4349 viewsSteve_M

He's gone!! on 10:11 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Plenty of people who aren't Labour supporters were not happy about Young's appointment, including some Tory MPs.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

He's gone!! on 11:13 - Jan 9 with 4326 viewsDubtractor

Whilst this is true, it will only really be a big problem if you have been a mammoth sized wang on your social media, in the way that Young and that Labour tool from Sheffield have been.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

He's gone!! on 11:14 - Jan 9 with 4319 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 11:06 - Jan 9 by Ryorry

Yeah, them and tens of thousands of decent people from across the political spectrum.

Hmmmm.

He's gone!! on 11:15 - Jan 9 with 4314 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 11:09 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

Plenty of people who aren't Labour supporters were not happy about Young's appointment, including some Tory MPs.

Primarily Labour and momentum.

Much like the majority of people making a fuss of it on here.

Take note of the OP's glee and constant banging on about it.

He's gone!! on 11:17 - Jan 9 with 4296 viewsGlasgowBlue

He's gone!! on 11:13 - Jan 9 by Dubtractor

Whilst this is true, it will only really be a big problem if you have been a mammoth sized wang on your social media, in the way that Young and that Labour tool from Sheffield have been.

Big difference between Young's posting of poor and sexist humour on twitter and O'mara's genuine face to face threats and abuse to woman in nightclubs.

Angela Rayner, Labour's Education spokesperson, is another rank hypocrite among all of this. She called for Young to go over his "history of homophobia and misogyny”. Yet when Labour MP Jared O’Mara was revealed to have shown real abuse and threats to women she said “I am happy to sit alongside him” and talked about "the journey" he had been on.

Rank hypocrites.

Iron Lion Zion

He's gone!! on 11:17 - Jan 9 with 4300 viewsRyorry

He's gone!! on 11:15 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Glassers has finally seen the light and joined Labour?!!

He's gone!! on 11:18 - Jan 9 with 4288 viewsDubtractor

He's gone!! on 11:15 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Are you implying that non Labour voters are all comfortable with misogyny and homophobia then?

I'd have thought that lots of tory voters are just as unhappy with those as Labour voters.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

He's gone!! on 11:21 - Jan 9 with 4279 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 11:18 - Jan 9 by Dubtractor

Are you implying that non Labour voters are all comfortable with misogyny and homophobia then?

I'd have thought that lots of tory voters are just as unhappy with those as Labour voters.

Nope, but its just been another Labour bandwagon to jump on.

I happen to believe that people should not always be judged on the person they were 10 years ago.

He's gone!! on 11:21 - Jan 9 with 4277 viewsDubtractor

He's gone!! on 11:17 - Jan 9 by GlasgowBlue

Big difference between Young's posting of poor and sexist humour on twitter and O'mara's genuine face to face threats and abuse to woman in nightclubs.

Angela Rayner, Labour's Education spokesperson, is another rank hypocrite among all of this. She called for Young to go over his "history of homophobia and misogyny”. Yet when Labour MP Jared O’Mara was revealed to have shown real abuse and threats to women she said “I am happy to sit alongside him” and talked about "the journey" he had been on.

Rank hypocrites.

Much like there will be tories making the exact same defence of Young who will have attacked O'Mara.

They are all hypocrites with blind spots towards their own parties.

The main point is still that both O'Mara and Young are hugely unpleasant individuals.

He's gone!! on 11:22 - Jan 9 with 4274 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He's gone!! on 11:17 - Jan 9 by Ryorry

Glassers has finally seen the light and joined Labour?!!

Doesnt look like it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024