Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hughes 13:18 - Jan 9 with 5591 viewsclive_baker

I've just spent my lunch break reminding myself of his managerial CV. Did well for Wales. Forgot how much success he actually had at Blackburn both in the league and cups. Man City was a bit of a debacle when the money came in, generally spent a lot of it and didn't do a lot. Left Fulham 8th in the Prem, kept QPR up. Took over an unfashionable but hard working Stoke side (remind you of anyone?). Transformed their style and took them to 3 consecutive 9th place finishes before the car crash that was this season.

Only issue I have is it's Mark Hughes. I don't really like the bloke.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mark Hughes on 13:23 - Jan 9 with 5162 viewsCurrie10

Very good manager, won't struggle to find another job.
Mark Hughes on 13:23 - Jan 9 with 5170 viewsFinidiCentenary

There was a piece on the radio last night saying that pretty much all the clubs he's been at, the fans remember him for being very good until he was given money to spend.

Looks, from his time at Wales, he's perhaps a decent man manager and organiser, but ultimately he seems to go for the wrong sort of player.

I can see what he was trying to do with Stoke, but with Jese, Imbula, Affelay, Arnautovic, Shakiri, Bojan amongst others, he seemed to want to add flair and excitement, but it was perhaps the likes of Shawcross, Adam, Walters and Crouch, the hard working players that gave 100% that gave him the most success.

Similar story at Fulham, Blackburn and Man City. Maybe even QPR. Whenever he managed a top 14 side he could finish top 10. Whenever he tried to take them to a regular European side by trying to add exciting players to replace the core of the team and the workhorses, it seemed to fall apart.

He's always reminded me a bit of 2001-02 Burley in that sense. That his problem is not getting players to work for him or forming a team spirit. It's when he starts to introduce players of what he sees as a higher technical quality into that group. Maybe that's where he gets the dynamic wrong each time, with other players coming in that are on twice as much money and doing half as much work.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 13:24]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Mark Hughes on 13:24 - Jan 9 with 5130 viewsBluefish

Best volleyer I've ever seen

Not sure if that adds anything as a manager though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mark Hughes on 13:25 - Jan 9 with 5133 viewsJimmyJazz

Should your last point matter though?

His QPR stint wasn't successful, think Rangers fans felt he helped contribute to their financial mess by overpaying on poor signings. Not well liked by their fans

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Mark Hughes on 13:25 - Jan 9 with 5130 viewsDubtractor

I'm with you.

Always thought he comes across as a bit of a dick.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Mark Hughes on 13:28 - Jan 9 with 5094 viewsdissboy2

wouldn't want him here, we need someone younger with more modern thinking
Mark Hughes on 13:29 - Jan 9 with 5089 viewsclive_baker

Mark Hughes on 13:25 - Jan 9 by JimmyJazz

Should your last point matter though?

His QPR stint wasn't successful, think Rangers fans felt he helped contribute to their financial mess by overpaying on poor signings. Not well liked by their fans

Shouldn't really matter, I just don't like him. I don't really like Mick in terms of his professional persona but I'm sure he's a decent bloke.

He kept QPR up in that first season but then they spent a lot of money and it went off the rails. As has already been mentioned perhaps he's better on a budget, getting a close knit group over performing. Might be a decent fit here, certainly won't need to worry about him spending too much.

Mark Hughes on 13:31 - Jan 9 with 5062 viewsclive_baker

Mark Hughes on 13:23 - Jan 9 by FinidiCentenary

There was a piece on the radio last night saying that pretty much all the clubs he's been at, the fans remember him for being very good until he was given money to spend.

Looks, from his time at Wales, he's perhaps a decent man manager and organiser, but ultimately he seems to go for the wrong sort of player.

I can see what he was trying to do with Stoke, but with Jese, Imbula, Affelay, Arnautovic, Shakiri, Bojan amongst others, he seemed to want to add flair and excitement, but it was perhaps the likes of Shawcross, Adam, Walters and Crouch, the hard working players that gave 100% that gave him the most success.

Similar story at Fulham, Blackburn and Man City. Maybe even QPR. Whenever he managed a top 14 side he could finish top 10. Whenever he tried to take them to a regular European side by trying to add exciting players to replace the core of the team and the workhorses, it seemed to fall apart.

He's always reminded me a bit of 2001-02 Burley in that sense. That his problem is not getting players to work for him or forming a team spirit. It's when he starts to introduce players of what he sees as a higher technical quality into that group. Maybe that's where he gets the dynamic wrong each time, with other players coming in that are on twice as much money and doing half as much work.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 13:24]

fair comments.

I don't think his achievements at Stoke should be underestimated. 3 consecutive 9th place finishes in a league with 6 such big clubs is strong. They went about it in the right way too, Stoke were playing some fantastic football last couple of seasons. All after they were told to be careful what they wished for post Pulis. Definitely some synergies between where we are now.

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hughes on 13:48 - Jan 9 with 4967 viewsBackToRussia

Mark Hughes on 13:31 - Jan 9 by clive_baker

fair comments.

I don't think his achievements at Stoke should be underestimated. 3 consecutive 9th place finishes in a league with 6 such big clubs is strong. They went about it in the right way too, Stoke were playing some fantastic football last couple of seasons. All after they were told to be careful what they wished for post Pulis. Definitely some synergies between where we are now.

Hughes wouldn't drop down a level I don't think, not yet.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Mark Hughes on 14:05 - Jan 9 with 4890 viewsITFC_Forever

QPR fans hate him.

Overloaded the squad with journeymen (many from the same agent) who were there on mega contracts.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Mark Hughes on 14:10 - Jan 9 with 4867 viewsNo9

Mark Hughes on 13:25 - Jan 9 by Dubtractor

I'm with you.

Always thought he comes across as a bit of a dick.

More than a bit, more like total
Mark Hughes on 14:13 - Jan 9 with 4849 viewschicoazul

Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew, Hodgson, Moyes, Pulis. It goes on and on and these guys (specifically Allrdyce) then have the cheek to moan about young British Managers not getting a chance or whatever. Yes, because you lot keep getting the top jobs. It's nothing to do with foreigns coming over here and nicking our jobs.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mark Hughes on 14:16 - Jan 9 with 4824 viewsNo9

Mark Hughes on 14:13 - Jan 9 by chicoazul

Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew, Hodgson, Moyes, Pulis. It goes on and on and these guys (specifically Allrdyce) then have the cheek to moan about young British Managers not getting a chance or whatever. Yes, because you lot keep getting the top jobs. It's nothing to do with foreigns coming over here and nicking our jobs.

You can add MM to that list
Mark Hughes on 14:17 - Jan 9 with 4832 viewsitfcjoe

He is a decent manager, and think people forget he is a player that played for Man Utd, Chelsea, Bayern and Barca - that's some CV.

Hard to find fans of previous clubs who remember him that fondly though which is a surprise when you look at his record on paper - but it feels as though he thinks he is as good a manager as he was player and always got his eyes on a better job as thinks he should be challenging for titles.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mark Hughes on 14:26 - Jan 9 with 4775 viewsJohnny_Boy

Just sent you a PM
Mark Hughes on 14:29 - Jan 9 with 4755 viewsITFCBlues

There is no way we’d attract a manager like that here.

People think this Ipswich job is desirable - it really isn’t. No money to spend in a league with 15-16 other bigger spenders.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Mark Hughes on 14:33 - Jan 9 with 4729 viewshype313

Mark Hughes on 14:29 - Jan 9 by ITFCBlues

There is no way we’d attract a manager like that here.

People think this Ipswich job is desirable - it really isn’t. No money to spend in a league with 15-16 other bigger spenders.

Although any manager would know he would get plenty of time with our owner.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Hughes on 14:33 - Jan 9 with 4723 viewsmonty_radio

They say distance lends enchantment. So when you've only recently watched umpteen cheerless post-match interviews, heard poor play exonerated and match outcomes challenged, then any longer-term achievement is crowded out. Serial defeats still lingering in the mind and unsmiling bitterness aren't an especially winsome combination.

On the other hand, perhaps he's always dreamt of managing Ipswich.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 15:19]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Mark Hughes on 14:41 - Jan 9 with 4665 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, kept QPR up by the skin of their teeth & then spent fortunes on a bunch of ageing mercenaries, most of came through his own agent. Was sacked as he was clearly going to take them down & he nearly bankrupted the club in the process.
Not necessarily a terrible manager, but that was a major blot on his CV.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Hughes on 14:42 - Jan 9 with 4660 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Hughes on 13:24 - Jan 9 by Bluefish

Pete Sampras was better.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Hughes on 14:44 - Jan 9 with 4651 viewshype313

Mark Hughes on 14:41 - Jan 9 by Radlett_blue

Yes, kept QPR up by the skin of their teeth & then spent fortunes on a bunch of ageing mercenaries, most of came through his own agent. Was sacked as he was clearly going to take them down & he nearly bankrupted the club in the process.
Not necessarily a terrible manager, but that was a major blot on his CV.

Either way he still has enough credit in the bank to get a gig in the PL, he would view us as a major step down in his career.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Hughes on 14:46 - Jan 9 with 4640 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'd be less worried about us getting relegated post-Mick with Hughes coming in, but we're too small for him.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mark Hughes on 15:00 - Jan 9 with 4603 viewsGarv

I've always liked him. He started getting frosty with people recently which is understandable to an extent.

He's had Stoke playing great stuff at times.

We could do a lot worse (not that there's any likelihood).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mark Hughes on 15:43 - Jan 9 with 4517 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Cant see him joining us.

Pretty respectable CV though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mark Hughes on 17:17 - Jan 9 with 4398 viewstextbackup

Mark Hughes on 13:24 - Jan 9 by Bluefish

PRehaps he could volley Grant Ward into next week and wake him up a bit

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024