Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? 13:34 - Jan 9 with 1414 viewsSuperfrans

I'm too young to have seen him play, but grew up in awe of the stories of his exploits with Ray Crawford, as one-half of the greatest strike partnership Ipswich Town has ever seen. Imagine being able to score 46 goals in one season, as Ted did in the Fifties? Amazing.

It would be great if any of the posters on here who saw him play shared any memories they might have.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? on 13:41 - Jan 9 with 1403 viewsWaterfootblue

Saw all the home games 60/61 and 61/62, as you rightly say, "Ted and Ray, the greatest striking partnership Town have ever seen". Very sad day.
Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? on 13:50 - Jan 9 with 1376 viewsNo9

I saw Ted play many times, firstly when Town were in Div 2 for the first time.
I beleive he was exiled for a while then cam back whn SAR was short of players.
It was then he made his mark on English football
& in one National Daily paper - out shot (speed) Bobby Charlton.
Broke the net at the north end scoring from a free kick.
Always arrievd at the ground walking from the rail station where he could be picked out by the white spot on the back of his hair.
He gave me many great footballing moments
I used to see him at scramble/ moto X events (he was a great fan) later on he suffered with terrible arthritis to his hands.
RIP Ted & thanks for those great memories
Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? on 13:51 - Jan 9 with 1375 viewsPJH

I was lucky (old) enough to have seen him.
He had a thunderous shot from anywhere from about 35 yards out and that was with the old leather footballs with laces.The balls got even heavier in wet conditions.
He was also good in the air.
He and Ray Crawford formed a truly lethal partnership and in the second division winning season of 1960/61 and the Championship winning season of 1961/62 they scored 131 league goals between them(Also 42 goals between them in 1959/60).
They complimented each other so well because Ray Crawford was very good within the penalty box and scored a lot of goals from rebounds from Ted's shots that the goalkeeper could not hold.
Ted scored a total of 181 goals for us in 295 games.

I have got Ted's autograph loads of times but I will always remember him once saying to me "Your pens run out boy".

I have got tears in my eyes at the moment just thinking about Ted and that team and THAT season.

RIP
Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? on 17:45 - Jan 9 with 1239 viewsBlueastheycome

It really does fill me up with pride that we have another glorious era before the days of Bobby Robson's Ipswich to be equally proud of.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2018 17:46]
Terribly sad news about Ted Phillips - did anyone on here see him play? on 18:13 - Jan 9 with 1210 viewsbobwya

As I said in an earlier thread I was a ballboy for 2seasons - 56 58 - and I was always glad his thunderbolts seemed to hit the back of the net and not come straight at me to the back and side of the goal. I also remember how he brought in a lot of the records that were played over the scratchy old tannoy that was operated from the room the ballboy changed in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024