Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current bottom 3 in the Prem 16:28 - Jan 14 with 7405 viewsHerbivore

Swansea, Stoke and West Brom. Is it just me that would really like to see the bottom 3 stay that way until the end of the season? No disrespect but they're all just very meh and have no real ambition beyond trying to survive in the Prem year on year. They've been in that league for a while doing nothing interesting at all and it just feels like their time to go. Be nice to see all three promoted sides staying up too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:31 - Jan 14 with 6218 viewsElderGrizzly

If we got up, that would be us too.

For 14 of the 20 clubs, every season is just about doing enough to stay up and keep the cash coming in.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:39 - Jan 14 with 6185 viewsSE1blue

I used to feel the same about Southampton following the Le Tissier era...they were just dull, dull, dull without him, but somehow they stuck in the Premier League playing dreadful football.

I'd love to see Swansea go down for similar reasons and because I know a Swansea fan who is incredibly irritating.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:41 - Jan 14 with 6173 viewsbluesym

Id rather see Bournemouth drop ahead of any of those.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:46 - Jan 14 with 6146 viewsHerbivore

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:31 - Jan 14 by ElderGrizzly

If we got up, that would be us too.

For 14 of the 20 clubs, every season is just about doing enough to stay up and keep the cash coming in.

I'm not so sure it's as black and white as that, Burnley seem to have a bit of a plan for establishing themselves and are having a great season, Leicester obviously had that amazing season and look to potentially be building something again that's a little more ambitious than just surviving. The newly promoted clubs, fair enough it has to be about survival but the likes of Stoke, West Brom and Swansea have just existed in the Prem for the last few years without really threatening to ever do anything remotely interesting.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:11 - Jan 14 with 6064 viewsGarv

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:39 - Jan 14 by SE1blue

I used to feel the same about Southampton following the Le Tissier era...they were just dull, dull, dull without him, but somehow they stuck in the Premier League playing dreadful football.

I'd love to see Swansea go down for similar reasons and because I know a Swansea fan who is incredibly irritating.

That's incredibly harsh on Southampton.

They are hit and miss but my word they are lovely to watch sometimes. Did you see the cup final against United last season?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:14 - Jan 14 with 6046 viewsElderGrizzly

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 16:46 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I'm not so sure it's as black and white as that, Burnley seem to have a bit of a plan for establishing themselves and are having a great season, Leicester obviously had that amazing season and look to potentially be building something again that's a little more ambitious than just surviving. The newly promoted clubs, fair enough it has to be about survival but the likes of Stoke, West Brom and Swansea have just existed in the Prem for the last few years without really threatening to ever do anything remotely interesting.

But what is ambition in the PL for clubs like this? Top 6 are pretty much sewn up, so it’s compete for the next ‘mini-league’?

Your last line to me is why the PL is so dull. Even for Burnley, it would have been the target to survive first and foremost. The rest it is going through the motions, with a regular win against Arsenal thrown in to excite the fans
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:14 - Jan 14 with 6046 viewsSE1blue

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:11 - Jan 14 by Garv

They are hit and miss but my word they are lovely to watch sometimes. Did you see the cup final against United last season?

I'm talking about Southampton up until 2005.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:19 - Jan 14 with 6029 viewsMullet

From an away game perspective certainly.

Although the South Coast has become a bin for Chelsea-dodgers and needs emptying from the Prem, so it's a bit conflicting for me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:22 - Jan 14 with 6020 viewsJ2BLUE

Is this very subtle trolling?

'No disrespect but they're all just very meh and have no real ambition beyond trying to survive in the Prem year on year. They've been in that league for a while doing nothing interesting at all and it just feels like their time to go.'

Substitute Prem for Championship...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:31 - Jan 14 with 5972 viewsjas0999

I’d like to see Southampton go down - the only reason is I know quite a few Saints fans who regularly remind me they are a PL club and we are not!
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:32 - Jan 14 with 5962 viewsSuperfrans

I was hoping Wet Spam would come down, so we could visit the Olympic Stadium. But, looking unlikely now.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:34 - Jan 14 with 5949 viewsSuperfrans

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:14 - Jan 14 by ElderGrizzly

But what is ambition in the PL for clubs like this? Top 6 are pretty much sewn up, so it’s compete for the next ‘mini-league’?

Your last line to me is why the PL is so dull. Even for Burnley, it would have been the target to survive first and foremost. The rest it is going through the motions, with a regular win against Arsenal thrown in to excite the fans

All the money in the Prem has basically made it a 5/6 team league, with the rest battling to avoid relegation.

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:37 - Jan 14 with 5936 viewsElderGrizzly

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:34 - Jan 14 by Superfrans

All the money in the Prem has basically made it a 5/6 team league, with the rest battling to avoid relegation.

Indeed. It will get even worse if those top 6 get their way and manage to get a higher % of the overseas income too. Killed off for now, but back on the table for the next meeting.

PL is now about maximising revenue and if that comes from winning games or entertaining football, that is a bonus.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:41 - Jan 14 with 5916 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bit harsh. Stoke 4 consecutive top 10 finishes before this season. Swans 8th place finish, a decent run in Europe and a League cup win in this spell in the top division. I'd love us to lack ambition that much!

West Brom are dull. I can't find any redeeming features in their club or fans,Z so they can go. They were bad before Pullis killed them off; even worse now.

Swansea now last 18 months the wheels have fallen off - the American hedge fund owners probably do deserve relegation given how they've mismanaged the club. But the did give the PL one of its greatest comedy moments with Bob Bradley.

Stoke have had first bad season in 5 or 6.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:43 - Jan 14 with 5905 viewsSuperfrans

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:37 - Jan 14 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. It will get even worse if those top 6 get their way and manage to get a higher % of the overseas income too. Killed off for now, but back on the table for the next meeting.

PL is now about maximising revenue and if that comes from winning games or entertaining football, that is a bonus.

The income generated from the first Prem TV deal in 1992 was 4% of the value of the latest deal.
When they do a deal maximising India and China, there will be another massive lift in revenue.

It is going to get far far worse.

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:46 - Jan 14 with 5888 viewsclive_baker

Brighton for me.

Some things money can’t not buy, and staying in the premier league isn’t not one them.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:56 - Jan 14 with 5843 viewsEly_Blue

Would that be the same Stoke that have finished in 9th for the last 3 seasons? Hardly “trying to survive” is it?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:01 - Jan 14 with 5812 viewsElderGrizzly

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:56 - Jan 14 by Ely_Blue

Would that be the same Stoke that have finished in 9th for the last 3 seasons? Hardly “trying to survive” is it?

But if you asked their owners, their first goal is survive, then push on.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:01 - Jan 14 with 5812 viewspointofblue

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:22 - Jan 14 by J2BLUE

Is this very subtle trolling?

'No disrespect but they're all just very meh and have no real ambition beyond trying to survive in the Prem year on year. They've been in that league for a while doing nothing interesting at all and it just feels like their time to go.'

Substitute Prem for Championship...

Well quite... they're little more than the Premier League version of us based on that description. You may say we could finish in the top ten this year or did for three years on a trot up to last year but so did Stoke in the Premier League.

I'd much prefer to see "little" Bournemouth go down. I'm sick and tired of the bum licking and praise when they've spent highly but maybe that's more from their promotion year where they basically bought their way out of the league.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:06 - Jan 14 with 5789 viewspoppiesman

I would love it if West Ham and Newcastle got relegated.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:44 - Jan 14 with 5701 viewsbrazil1982

I do tend to forget about West Brom til I look at the tables now and again and think" Oh yeah, West Brom - how the hell are they a top flight club?"
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:50 - Jan 14 with 5669 viewsBlue_Order

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:44 - Jan 14 by brazil1982

I do tend to forget about West Brom til I look at the tables now and again and think" Oh yeah, West Brom - how the hell are they a top flight club?"

I was just about to post that sometimes I forget WBA even exist. Wouldn't mind them down as I quite like The Hawthorns.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 18:58 - Jan 14 with 5651 viewsimsureazzure

Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 17:11 - Jan 14 by Garv

Southampton have a great scouting and youth network, that is where we should be.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 19:39 - Jan 14 with 5533 viewslongtimefan

I’d rather see the 3 promoted teams come down as they, like Norwich, would get considerably less parachute payments than others.
Current bottom 3 in the Prem on 19:41 - Jan 14 with 5518 viewsITFC_Forever

I haven’t been to Swansea’s ground, so would like them to come down.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024