Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cyrille Regis has died 08:07 - Jan 15 with 7531 viewsSteve_M

Only 59 which is far too young.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/cyrille-regis-dead-

He was still playing in 1994, I remember him and Warky having a slow race for the ball when we played Wolves in the cup at Molyneux.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cyrille Regis has died on 08:10 - Jan 15 with 6914 viewschicoazul

Oh wow, RIP. Didnt Beattie say he was the best player he played against?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cyrille Regis has died on 08:12 - Jan 15 with 6902 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just heard that on the news. Very sad. R.I.P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cyrille Regis has died on 08:19 - Jan 15 with 6880 viewsArnieM

RIP Cyrille :(

Its odd really , but so many professional footballers appear to die much ,much younger that the national average.

Thoughts go to his family ....

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Cyrille Regis has died on 08:31 - Jan 15 with 6852 viewsLord_Lucan

RIP

What a player, a beast of a man.

Nice one Cyrille.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:15 - Jan 15 with 6786 viewsfactual_blue

Cyrille Regis has died on 08:19 - Jan 15 by ArnieM

RIP Cyrille :(

Its odd really , but so many professional footballers appear to die much ,much younger that the national average.

Thoughts go to his family ....

I would think the number of former footballers who die aged 59-60 is broadly in line with the number of deaths at that age in the overall male population.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:17 - Jan 15 with 6780 viewschristiand

Really sad news, but a true footballing icon!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:20 - Jan 15 with 6770 viewsPJH

A sad loss-RIP.

Played in 1978 semi final against us, he was quite a player.

One of Ron Atkinson's Three Degrees at WBA with Laurie Cunningham(who died even younger)and Brendon Batson.
Cyrille Regis has died on 09:39 - Jan 15 with 6728 viewssolemio

Very sad to hear of Cyrille's death. He and his brother Dave and their cousin John Regis the athlete who still holds the British 200 metres record always seemed such genuine and good folk..

He was one of those who was spotted playing non-league football and went on to play for England.
Login to get fewer ads

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:59 - Jan 15 with 6691 viewsfarkenhell

Brilliant player. His goal of the season was even more special coming against Norwich. Nice one Cyrille!

The West Brom team in the late 70s were something to be feared.

(Just read the article linked to Steve's post. Probably the saddest part is that Laurie Cunningham was killed as far back as 1989)
Cyrille Regis has died on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 6685 viewsLord_Lucan

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:39 - Jan 15 by solemio

Very sad to hear of Cyrille's death. He and his brother Dave and their cousin John Regis the athlete who still holds the British 200 metres record always seemed such genuine and good folk..

He was one of those who was spotted playing non-league football and went on to play for England.

He was at Hayes at one point - as was Les Ferdinand about 10 years later.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:10 - Jan 15 with 6662 viewsfarkenhell

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:01 - Jan 15 by Lord_Lucan

He was at Hayes at one point - as was Les Ferdinand about 10 years later.

Yes, "signed from Hayes for £5,000" was mentioned frequently. A bargain of course, although funny thing is I bet Hayes were also rubbing their hands. At the time, 5 grand was a major windfall for a non-league team.
Cyrille Regis has died on 10:17 - Jan 15 with 6641 viewsgerard1947

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:20 - Jan 15 by PJH

A sad loss-RIP.

Played in 1978 semi final against us, he was quite a player.

One of Ron Atkinson's Three Degrees at WBA with Laurie Cunningham(who died even younger)and Brendon Batson.

What a shame. I spoke with Cyrille for a few minutes once, he seemed a very likeable chap. A friend of mine was best mates with Brendon Batson. He got us tickets to the match and players lounge afterwards. It was Brendon's last ever game, he did his knee. It was early 80's and I remember John Wark scored 4, I have the programme somewhere signed by most of the players from both sides. I'm sure Cyrille's will be on it.
Cyrille Regis has died on 10:29 - Jan 15 with 6610 viewsimsureazzure

Bloody hell that's sad and another name from my youth gone RIP.
Cyrille Regis has died on 10:35 - Jan 15 with 6599 viewsLord_Lucan

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:17 - Jan 15 by gerard1947

What a shame. I spoke with Cyrille for a few minutes once, he seemed a very likeable chap. A friend of mine was best mates with Brendon Batson. He got us tickets to the match and players lounge afterwards. It was Brendon's last ever game, he did his knee. It was early 80's and I remember John Wark scored 4, I have the programme somewhere signed by most of the players from both sides. I'm sure Cyrille's will be on it.

WBA were a great side for a short time, could have won the league.

Ron Atkinson did such a great job in promoting black players, it's a crying shame that he said what he said.

That remark has basically ruined his life.

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:36 - Jan 15 with 6595 viewshampstead_blue

A true leader in the game. Brave, forward thinking, and a hero of the game.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:45 - Jan 15 with 6568 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Big old fashioned type centre forward. Good in the air, strong as an ox, hell of a shot.
RIP Cyrille.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:12 - Jan 15 with 6530 viewsgerard1947

Cyrille Regis has died on 10:35 - Jan 15 by Lord_Lucan

WBA were a great side for a short time, could have won the league.

Ron Atkinson did such a great job in promoting black players, it's a crying shame that he said what he said.

That remark has basically ruined his life.

Spot on, what he said was wrong and crazy but it's hard to label Big Ron as out and out racist considering what he did for young black footballers. Sadly lots of people make stupid comments on TV and social media some deserve everything they get, sometimes it's a very bad attempt at humour with no malice intended.

Big Ron and I were born in less enlightened times, possibly you too a bit. A time when racist jokes and comments were regularly made everywhere including the media. Not an excuse but maybe a factor.
Cyrille Regis has died on 11:27 - Jan 15 with 6500 viewsnshearman1

In all the tributes to this great man no-one yet has pointed out what a scandal it was that he was never given a decent managerial post, especially when you see some of the idiots who did get them. Could have been a fine manager too. And just when it’s been announced that the Rooney Rule will be brought in.
Cyrille Regis has died on 11:30 - Jan 15 with 6495 viewsLord_Lucan

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:12 - Jan 15 by gerard1947

Spot on, what he said was wrong and crazy but it's hard to label Big Ron as out and out racist considering what he did for young black footballers. Sadly lots of people make stupid comments on TV and social media some deserve everything they get, sometimes it's a very bad attempt at humour with no malice intended.

Big Ron and I were born in less enlightened times, possibly you too a bit. A time when racist jokes and comments were regularly made everywhere including the media. Not an excuse but maybe a factor.

Definitely.

What Ron said was a bit mad but should it have meant public damnation for the rest of his life - absolutely not.

I still find it hard to believe he said what he said - although he obviously did.

These days I don't think you would even get away with calling that trio The Three Degrees.

Mother still calls wool N***** brown, I still refer to a black mans pinch. I it's fairly safe to say Ron wasn't a racist - in the true sense.

Crying shame really - as is the death of Cyrille. I'm not the sort of person to get overly bothered about the death of people I never knew but I am more bothered about Cyrille than I would normally be.

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:35 - Jan 15 with 6488 viewssolemio

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:30 - Jan 15 by Lord_Lucan

Definitely.

What Ron said was a bit mad but should it have meant public damnation for the rest of his life - absolutely not.

I still find it hard to believe he said what he said - although he obviously did.

These days I don't think you would even get away with calling that trio The Three Degrees.

Mother still calls wool N***** brown, I still refer to a black mans pinch. I it's fairly safe to say Ron wasn't a racist - in the true sense.

Crying shame really - as is the death of Cyrille. I'm not the sort of person to get overly bothered about the death of people I never knew but I am more bothered about Cyrille than I would normally be.

Your last sentence is exactly how I feel.
Cyrille Regis has died on 11:49 - Jan 15 with 6463 viewsLord_Lucan

Cyrille Regis has died on 09:39 - Jan 15 by solemio

I didn't know John Regis was his cousin.

John Regis's rival and team mate Ade Mafe went to my primary school. I seem to remember him joining in and winning the parents sprint at our sports day.

I know Cyrille started at Hayes but because he spent most of his career in the midlands I thought he hailed from there - until I just googled it.

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:58 - Jan 15 with 6446 viewssolemio

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:49 - Jan 15 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't know John Regis was his cousin.

John Regis's rival and team mate Ade Mafe went to my primary school. I seem to remember him joining in and winning the parents sprint at our sports day.

I know Cyrille started at Hayes but because he spent most of his career in the midlands I thought he hailed from there - until I just googled it.

Crikey, that's a bit tough having to face Ade in the parents' race!

John Regis was one of the first people to go public about the Stop and Search business. Because he was black - and for no other reason - he would be the object of this sometimes as many as double figures each week. This while he was a nationally known figure frequently seen on television. So if this happened to him it just shows the general situation for black people.
Cyrille Regis has died on 12:12 - Jan 15 with 6421 viewsLord_Lucan

Cyrille Regis has died on 11:58 - Jan 15 by solemio

Crikey, that's a bit tough having to face Ade in the parents' race!

John Regis was one of the first people to go public about the Stop and Search business. Because he was black - and for no other reason - he would be the object of this sometimes as many as double figures each week. This while he was a nationally known figure frequently seen on television. So if this happened to him it just shows the general situation for black people.

I wasn't in the parents bit, he was a year below me in school.

At 17 he was at The Olymics!

Cyrille Regis has died on 13:10 - Jan 15 with 6344 viewsSteve_M

A decent piece from Richard Williams here on some of the context:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/15/cyrille-regis-pioneer-on-the-pi

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cyrille Regis has died on 13:17 - Jan 15 with 6324 viewsSuperfrans

Cyrille Regis has died on 13:10 - Jan 15 by Steve_M

A decent piece from Richard Williams here on some of the context:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/15/cyrille-regis-pioneer-on-the-pi

This is a great book too - written by a mate of mine. Highly recommended.

https://read.amazon.co.uk/kp/embed?asin=B00GHK7B6S&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&r

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024