Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV advice 12:06 - Jan 16 with 4151 viewsSteve_M

I know this one has been done on here before but a quick google couldn't find it so here goes.

I'm looking to upgrade my TV, as the current one is rather old. My flat isn't too big so I'm probably limited to a 40 inch screen and HD is obviously a given.

What else should I be thinking about here? Apps, soundbars etc? Budget is £500 or so max.

I've currently got Virgin but I'm sick of paying over the odds to watch a bit of cricket and the odd football match so might get rid of that soon.

This kind of thing looks about right.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40mu6400-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-40-with-tv

Any thoughts? Things I should definitely avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TV advice on 12:10 - Jan 16 with 4123 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

get it and use the smart function to reduce the monthly costs.

5 yr warranty for £25
TV advice on 12:13 - Jan 16 with 4106 viewshomer_123

Recently bought an LG which has an inbuilt soundbar.

Two observations.

1. It's way better with the soundbar than without, sound quality wise
2. It's remarkably close in terms of performance and quality to a number of other soundbars that are seperates

In short, I'm quite impressed to be honest. It clearly doesn't stack up against a full on separate surround system but I don't have the room or space for that and, frankly, I'd only piss off the neighbours anyway!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

TV advice on 12:13 - Jan 16 with 4100 viewsGeoffSentence

From my experience, and I am not sure how you would find this out, but the quality of wifi/streaming ability on the TV is important.

My TV regularly buffers when streaming using the apps on the TV, but with the same apps on an external device it's fine.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

TV advice on 12:14 - Jan 16 with 4097 viewsthebooks

We got the 49" version and it's really good. Worth paying extra at JL for the warranty.

Sound's pretty good too, although thinking of a sound bar thing.

It's got all the free digital stuff built in (iPlayer, ITV hub etc.) and you can use Now TV for the odd bit of sport/films etc. Has a good Netflix app too.
TV advice on 12:19 - Jan 16 with 4068 viewsblue62

I just bought my parents a 55" LG it was a bit higher than your budget but very good quality and most reports rate LG better than Samsung now. The sound is good so no need for an additional sound bar.

Probably get a 40" for the money you want to spend. Hughes were good on price and advice and John Lewis will do a price match.
TV advice on 12:25 - Jan 16 with 4057 viewsfactual_blue

That's the one we've got, albeit a couple of years older. Very good - I'd thoroughly recommend it. You definitely need a soundbar - there's a Samsung one that matches and has a wireless woofer.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TV advice on 12:51 - Jan 16 with 4009 viewsJakeITFC

https://ao.com/product/ue40mu6120-samsung-tv-black-50967-108.aspx?&WT.z_PT=AV&WT

I've got that one, it's brilliant.
TV advice on 12:59 - Jan 16 with 3999 viewschicoazul

Only thing I would really say is all modern tellys have cr@p sound, so keep some budget back for a soundbar, you really will need one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

TV advice on 13:00 - Jan 16 with 3996 viewsRyorry

For picture, I find Sony unbeatable. Everyone says how good & natural the colour is. Have a wall-hung 41" with separate LG soundbar in kitchen (from Currys c. 2014), and 32" (from JL, same time) in living room. Both are fully HD, smart & have proved reliable. Can't recall prices - think the 41" was about your max, and the 32" obviously easily within.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 13:01]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

TV advice on 13:37 - Jan 16 with 3929 viewshoppy

I assume the one you've shown there is in the same model line (ours was from Currys, so the KU/MU bit of the model code may be something to do with that). But it was the 6400.

We've had the SAMSUNG - UE43KU6400 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 43" LED TV for just over a year, which we bought with the Samsung soundbar with wireless subwoofer and you definitely benefit from the sound of that, as the screens being so thin these days don't pack quite such a punch. We've been really pleased with it - the programmes in native 4K look amazing.

I'd say if you went for that one, you'd be more than likely very happy.

My goto before buying such kit is always here as well: https://www.avforums.com/categories/tv-forums.297/

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

TV advice on 14:36 - Jan 16 with 3846 viewsitfc56

https://www.richersounds.com/promotions/sale-tvs/samsung-40-inch-4k-ultra-hd-sma
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/soundbars/yamaha-ats1050-black.html
Recommendation based as much on the shop as the TV/ Soundbar - although my friend has recently bought and is very happy with it.
Richer sounds in my experience have excellent customer service and give good advice in store. The free 6 year warranty on the TV is good too.
TV advice on 15:40 - Jan 16 with 3800 viewsTractorWood

Was thinking of going for this in the nearish future. Price is good.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/samsung-ue49mu6220kxxu-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 16:12]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

TV advice on 15:49 - Jan 16 with 3788 viewshype313

TV advice on 15:40 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/samsung-ue49mu6220kxxu-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-

The price would make me grizzly.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

TV advice on 15:56 - Jan 16 with 3775 viewsNo9

Double OHC and Fuel injection for starters
TV advice on 16:09 - Jan 16 with 3751 viewshoppy

TV advice on 15:49 - Jan 16 by hype313

The price would make me grizzly.

So are you pooh-poohing his idea then?

TV advice on 16:12 - Jan 16 with 3740 viewsTractorWood

TV advice on 16:09 - Jan 16 by hoppy

So are you pooh-poohing his idea then?

In fairness I have little idea. Just look for a decent brand and a good amount of spec. Is the curve screen a bad thing/good thing?

Edit. Just seen bear auto correct. Shambles.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 16:13]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

TV advice on 16:14 - Jan 16 with 3724 viewsElderGrizzly

TV advice on 15:40 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

Curve is a bit of a crap gimic tbh, unless you get the viewing angle exactly right
TV advice on 16:17 - Jan 16 with 3717 viewshoppy

TV advice on 16:12 - Jan 16 by TractorWood

In fairness I have little idea. Just look for a decent brand and a good amount of spec. Is the curve screen a bad thing/good thing?

Edit. Just seen bear auto correct. Shambles.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 16:13]

I've heard varying opinions on the curve screen - almost polar opposites, in fact.

Depends on where you're sitting in the room, and where your lighting is in relation to the screen for glare.

You only really get the full effect of the curve if sitting directly in front of it in the centre I'm told.

TV advice on 16:20 - Jan 16 with 3707 viewsbadadski

Go to WH Smiths and look for What Hi Fi or Home cinema, as reviews on all the latest TV's Also they have at end of the magazine all previous winners including budget models etc. Highly recommend either magazine to give a rough idea and also the stores that will probably be doing some older models at clearance prices.
TV advice on 17:03 - Jan 16 with 3649 viewsSteve_M

Cheers all, plenty for me to think about there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024