Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... 13:42 - Jan 16 with 5127 viewsITFC_Forever

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/orwell-bridge-to-close-for-third-time-this-win

And they're wrong about the last time the bridge was shut - it wasn't 2nd January as I dropped my daughter at school on the way to work the last time it happened.

Didn't someone post something this morning about not spending money on the Northern Bypass, but they'd consider the Copdock Interchange.

Unless the Northern Bypass is built, I'm not sure what can be done to stop the traffic issues in Ipswich when the bridge is shut.... can't tell the A14 users that the bridge is closed to high-sided vehicles, as they would simply ignore the warning - and with the high number of lorries that use the bridge, it's quite likely one of them would either ignore or not understand the warning.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2018 13:43]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:47 - Jan 16 with 5073 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm off Thursday so thankfully I will miss this one.

It's utterly pathetic to keep doing this. How many more times before they finally build the northern bypass?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:48 - Jan 16 with 5076 viewsLord_Lucan

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/copdock-mill-upgrade-backed-by-transport-secre

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:49 - Jan 16 with 5063 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:48 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/copdock-mill-upgrade-backed-by-transport-secre

Yes, I know, I posted the link....

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:49 - Jan 16 with 5062 viewsPhilTWTD

Think it was 2nd to the 3rd as was closed when I came back from Fulham (when it wasn't actually windy at that point. Grrr).
Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:50 - Jan 16 with 5056 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:47 - Jan 16 by J2BLUE

I'm off Thursday so thankfully I will miss this one.

It's utterly pathetic to keep doing this. How many more times before they finally build the northern bypass?

Completely pathetic.

The first time they closed it due to high winds a year or two ago, it was said to be only for very unusual circumstances.

This will be the third time this winter, and the fifth time since they first did it. Not that unusual any more.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:51 - Jan 16 with 5051 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:49 - Jan 16 by PhilTWTD

Think it was 2nd to the 3rd as was closed when I came back from Fulham (when it wasn't actually windy at that point. Grrr).

May have been, come to think of it... Daughter's school re-started on 3rd, so it would have shut on 2nd, but most of the impact affected 3rd.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:52 - Jan 16 with 5050 viewsCaptainObvious

Yes it was Jan 3, one day before most schools went back otherwise the school run traffic would have made it even worse.

Put in a height barrier ?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:56 - Jan 16 with 5026 viewsLord_Lucan

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:49 - Jan 16 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, I know, I posted the link....

You should have read it then.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:59 - Jan 16 with 5012 viewsCaptainObvious

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:50 - Jan 16 by ITFC_Forever

Completely pathetic.

The first time they closed it due to high winds a year or two ago, it was said to be only for very unusual circumstances.

This will be the third time this winter, and the fifth time since they first did it. Not that unusual any more.

Won't be a problem when the tunnel has been completed

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/orwell-bridge-tunnel/

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:03 - Jan 16 with 5005 viewsGeoffSentence

Yeah, Chris Grayling has pretty much agreed to sort out Copdock MIll Interchange which will cost C £150M ( before the inevitable cost overruns) .

If you have a choice of doing one of Copdock Mill Interchange or a Northern Bypass, my money would go on Copdock Mill every day. Constant congestion every day there, vs mega congestion a handful of times a year with the bridge.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:11 - Jan 16 with 4975 viewsLord_Lucan

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:03 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

Yeah, Chris Grayling has pretty much agreed to sort out Copdock MIll Interchange which will cost C £150M ( before the inevitable cost overruns) .

If you have a choice of doing one of Copdock Mill Interchange or a Northern Bypass, my money would go on Copdock Mill every day. Constant congestion every day there, vs mega congestion a handful of times a year with the bridge.

Sorry but that's rubbish. A northern bypass isn't just to relieve the bridge.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:14 - Jan 16 with 4957 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 13:59 - Jan 16 by CaptainObvious

Won't be a problem when the tunnel has been completed

http://www.suffolkgazette.com/news/orwell-bridge-tunnel/

People will have to use the tube network instead.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:17 - Jan 16 with 4951 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:03 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

15 mins every day isn't that bad - and if you know how to play the queues, it's not even that much.

Northern Bypass.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:18 - Jan 16 with 4945 viewsTractorCam

Might just camp out at work on Wednesday night then

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:20 - Jan 16 with 4937 viewsGeoffSentence

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:11 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry but that's rubbish. A northern bypass isn't just to relieve the bridge.

A northern bypass would not be worth the money that it would cost to build, which is why it has never been seriously considered.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:23 - Jan 16 with 4931 viewsLord_Lucan

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:20 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

A northern bypass would not be worth the money that it would cost to build, which is why it has never been seriously considered.

By the report in The Star it will cost less than faffing about at Copdock and it will relieve the traffic at Copdock at the same time.

It hasn't been built because it has to go through some wealthy villages.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:24 - Jan 16 with 4924 viewsITFC_Forever

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:20 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

Assuming it ran from the A140 across to the Martlesham park and ride, the A12 from Martlesham down to the A14 at Seven Hill would be chaos anyway.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:26 - Jan 16 with 4917 viewsBackToRussia

With global warming its going to be windier more often. Just fooking open it its a bridge. We'll close it when a car gets jettisoned off it by the wind, until then its fine.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The Orwell Tunnel on 14:27 - Jan 16 with 4912 viewshomer_123

Built by Carillion and the A14 becomes a toll road.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:29 - Jan 16 with 4909 viewsGeoffSentence

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:23 - Jan 16 by Lord_Lucan

By the report in The Star it will cost less than faffing about at Copdock and it will relieve the traffic at Copdock at the same time.

It hasn't been built because it has to go through some wealthy villages.

It won't relieve the traffic at Copdock, the congestion at Copdock is traffic coming from the South.

For most of the time a norther bypass would only be much use for local traffic between Claydon sort of area and woodbridge/martlesham, it is only when the bridge is shut that it would be worthwhile from a strategic point of view.

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 19:59 - Jan 16 with 4702 viewsdickie

Orwell Bridge apocalypse to strike again this week.... on 14:29 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

It won't relieve the traffic at Copdock, the congestion at Copdock is traffic coming from the South.

For most of the time a norther bypass would only be much use for local traffic between Claydon sort of area and woodbridge/martlesham, it is only when the bridge is shut that it would be worthwhile from a strategic point of view.

I'm not sure of your logic here especially considering the large scale developments that are due to the north of Ipswich plus the fact that Colchester Road and Valley Road are reduced to a crawl from 7.30 - 9.30 and 3 - 6.30. Also, surely if a properly implemented northern bypass were to be built traffic will have an alternative option thus spreading the flow to some extent. Plus traffic heading towards the A12 north from the West of the county would choose that route instead of using sevenhills (and vice versa)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024