Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maitland Niles 09:12 - Jan 18 with 3757 viewshype313

Looking like he's really establishing himself in the first team with lots of rave reviews, maybe it's harsh and my bad judgement of players but I felt after his time here he would be another JET/Lansbury/Randall/Owusu-Abeyie.

Anyone else think he would have this dramatic rise?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Maitland Niles on 09:17 - Jan 18 with 3726 viewschristiand

Certainly a good footballer and a terrific athlete, not convinced he is a left back gets beaten far too easily for my liking and is predominately right footed!

Good luck to him though. Felt for him at times last year, from where he has come from and the footballing education he has had - Ipswich Town's style with MM was always going to be a vast contrast for a young footballer.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Maitland Niles on 09:21 - Jan 18 with 3711 viewsKieran_Knows

Maitland Niles on 09:17 - Jan 18 by christiand

Certainly a good footballer and a terrific athlete, not convinced he is a left back gets beaten far too easily for my liking and is predominately right footed!

Good luck to him though. Felt for him at times last year, from where he has come from and the footballing education he has had - Ipswich Town's style with MM was always going to be a vast contrast for a young footballer.

Think Wenger has said he is playing him out at LWB to get experience, above everything else. Also said he sees him as a central midfielder in the future, so will be interesting to see if he can take on that role.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Maitland Niles on 09:33 - Jan 18 with 3678 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Yep, making him work hard and track back definitely appears to have had a negative impact on him

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Maitland Niles on 09:36 - Jan 18 with 3663 viewsBackToRussia

Not really. It was pretty obvious to me he'd play in the PL with a team, maybe not Arsenal. But he was 18 when he was here, and started 20 games (featured in 30+) That doesn't happen too often, and he always looked solid.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Maitland Niles on 09:41 - Jan 18 with 3653 viewsSteve_M

Maitland Niles on 09:36 - Jan 18 by BackToRussia

Not really. It was pretty obvious to me he'd play in the PL with a team, maybe not Arsenal. But he was 18 when he was here, and started 20 games (featured in 30+) That doesn't happen too often, and he always looked solid.

I think some fans over-reacted to his form tailing off - understandable playing that many matches in a short time - and decided he was rubbish. It probably wasn't a coincidence that the form of the whole team fell away during that time but at the start of 15-16 with him and Fraser on each wing we looked really good at times.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Maitland Niles on 09:43 - Jan 18 with 3649 viewsSomethingBlue

You never know quite how close they'll get to a top club's first-team but yes, I was sure he'd make it as a top-flight player. Did very well indeed when he first came here at 17; tailed off towards the end but that was only natural and the only surprise for me was that people were surprised.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Maitland Niles on 10:04 - Jan 18 with 3603 viewschicoazul

Maitland Niles on 09:43 - Jan 18 by SomethingBlue

You never know quite how close they'll get to a top club's first-team but yes, I was sure he'd make it as a top-flight player. Did very well indeed when he first came here at 17; tailed off towards the end but that was only natural and the only surprise for me was that people were surprised.

Mate youve posted here for years, surely you dont get surprised by these people anymore.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Maitland Niles on 10:07 - Jan 18 with 3592 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Maitland Niles on 09:41 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

I think some fans over-reacted to his form tailing off - understandable playing that many matches in a short time - and decided he was rubbish. It probably wasn't a coincidence that the form of the whole team fell away during that time but at the start of 15-16 with him and Fraser on each wing we looked really good at times.

Fraser getting injured that season hurt us big time - we were completely toothless without him

I think AMN’s form may have tailed off anyway but that certainly didn’t help

Would suggest there are probably a couple of other reasons some sections of our support were quick to criticise AMN, but sadly that’s not a surprise

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Maitland Niles on 10:11 - Jan 18 with 3565 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I'd like to see him given a sustained run as a Defensive Midfielder. He's looked comfortable the few times he's played there and imagine he'd develop massively given the exposure.
He's got all the physical and technical attributes, just needs to learn his craft a bit more
Maitland Niles on 12:26 - Jan 18 with 3425 viewsfactual_blue

I'll report back on his progress if he plays on Saturday.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Maitland Niles on 12:46 - Jan 18 with 3346 viewsTractorWood

Good player but I think it's more of a sign of Arsenal's longer term regression to mediocrity than a meteoric rise.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Maitland Niles on 14:01 - Jan 18 with 3223 viewschristiand

Maitland Niles on 09:33 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yep, making him work hard and track back definitely appears to have had a negative impact on him

Certainly doesn't get his ease on the ball and eye for a pass from his time here though!

Maitland Niles on 16:03 - Jan 18 with 3106 viewsCurrie10

Maitland Niles on 12:46 - Jan 18 by TractorWood

Good player but I think it's more of a sign of Arsenal's longer term regression to mediocrity than a meteoric rise.

Exactly this.

Shows just what state Arsenal are in at the minute that Maitland Niles has ( checking Soccerway they're excellent ) played as much as he has this season.

Clearly a player with ability / improving and will continue to get better, I just don't think at this present moment he remotely has enough to be playing as regularly at a top 6 side.

That said, Wenger spent £35 mill on Xhaka who is absolutely appalling.

I felt M Niles had a very promising first half of the season for us, but second half what I saw anyway clearly less good.

I still to this day felt his ' shift ' when he clearly had NO interest in coming on and playing the last 12 mins or so, away at Huddersfield when we were 1-0 up / cruising vs 10 men......... to him changing the game much for the worse and making a win very difficult at the end, to be beyond unprofessional.

That day, he made 05/06 Adam Proudlock look mobile.
Maitland Niles on 16:28 - Jan 18 with 3079 viewsbrazil1982

Probably now a millionaire and can command a transfer in excess of £10m
Maitland Niles on 16:51 - Jan 18 with 3061 viewsHerbivore

Loan players and their managers have consistently spoken positively about their development when at Town under Mick. That's why we've continued to be able to make good loan signings from the Prem. Also, Maitland-Niles wasn't here last year. Sometimes your posts do make it rather obvious how little you actually follow Town.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maitland Niles on 18:38 - Jan 18 with 3011 viewschristiand

Maitland Niles on 16:51 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

Loan players and their managers have consistently spoken positively about their development when at Town under Mick. That's why we've continued to be able to make good loan signings from the Prem. Also, Maitland-Niles wasn't here last year. Sometimes your posts do make it rather obvious how little you actually follow Town.

I suppose that's what you get with old age, forgetfulness. Yes stand corrected 2015-16. On reflection, it is also healthy to be preoccupied with other things in life Herbivore. I'm just amazed you have the time to post on so many threads, not sure what that suggests?!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 18:49]

Maitland Niles on 19:05 - Jan 18 with 2981 viewsHerbivore

Maitland Niles on 18:38 - Jan 18 by christiand

I suppose that's what you get with old age, forgetfulness. Yes stand corrected 2015-16. On reflection, it is also healthy to be preoccupied with other things in life Herbivore. I'm just amazed you have the time to post on so many threads, not sure what that suggests?!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2018 18:49]

I'm an excellent multi-tasker, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maitland Niles on 19:09 - Jan 18 with 2974 viewsolimar

Looked a talented footballer, impossible to say how it would pan out beyond that. For what its worth, always felt that Arsenal got more out of that loan than we did really.

Also, Mick was linked with other more experienced right wingers that summer, so Im not sure he ever intended to play AMN every week, but use him a bit more sparingly. As it was, the experienced winger he brought in was late in the window, cheap and not very good (Toure) so AMN played far more than was expected.

By the time the January window came around, we were able to bring in Liam Feeney and spare AMN a lot more (at which point it was needed).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024