Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53676 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:40 - Jan 19 with 3061 viewshype313

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:39 - Jan 19 by JakeITFC

Having read most of the points in these discussions over the past few months, I feel relatively well informed on it all.

I still choose to eat meat; that is to say I'm not in denial. Whilst I admire your stand point (and actually do also understand your reasoning with the dog kicking/racism/holocaust stuff as well) I just think the logic leap between being morally outraged about animals being killed is not one that I can see myself making.

I think this is the grey area part that has often been discussed - you see it as a black and white issue (as I understand it) because the other side seems so morally repugnant when you've chosen that path. It's just my opinion that that moral decision isn't as clear cut for the majority of people and, although it is perhaps massively hypocritical, the grey area around liking dogs/cats etc. and not pigs is one that actually exists in the majority of people.

Why does everyone feel the need to justify their eating habits on here?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:40 - Jan 19 with 3061 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 11:47 - Jan 19 by GeoffSentence

I think you are spot on there Dolly.

Callis is absolutely right about the cruelty involved in farming animals and it does twinge upon my conscious when I eat them.

The trouble is, having been brought up as a meat eater it is a struggle to move away, vegetarian and in particular vegan food has never hit the mark for me.

Still I have gone some way, I am now part vegan as I have vegan food with almost every meal.

So you're a bit like Spock then.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis (n/t) on 12:41 - Jan 19 with 3064 viewsDarth_Koont

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis (n/t) on 12:28 - Jan 19 by PhilTWTD

Literally four minutes after my post. Think we've made our position clear.

Sorry! I didn't see your post Phil.

As I said, I've been trying to stay out of this but it's getting ridiculous when it creeps into thread after thread. So if you can take action on both sides you wont hear any complaints from me.

Pronouns: He/Him

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:41 - Jan 19 with 3055 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:40 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

Please?

SB

Does it need explaining?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:44 - Jan 19 with 3038 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 11:57 - Jan 19 by Warhurst

Even for lurkers this sh1te is tedious. I know we don't have to eat meat to survive, but I like eating meat so I will continue to do so. Acting preachy about it it's not surprising that these threads get heated. You wouldn't walk up to every smoker you see and give them a lecture on how smoking is bad for you, would you? Eventually you would get a smack.

Where have I been preachy? I'm not even a vegan. I was actually eating two bacon rolls while I was writing the OP!

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:45 - Jan 19 with 3026 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:39 - Jan 19 by JakeITFC

Having read most of the points in these discussions over the past few months, I feel relatively well informed on it all.

I still choose to eat meat; that is to say I'm not in denial. Whilst I admire your stand point (and actually do also understand your reasoning with the dog kicking/racism/holocaust stuff as well) I just think the logic leap between being morally outraged about animals being killed is not one that I can see myself making.

I think this is the grey area part that has often been discussed - you see it as a black and white issue (as I understand it) because the other side seems so morally repugnant when you've chosen that path. It's just my opinion that that moral decision isn't as clear cut for the majority of people and, although it is perhaps massively hypocritical, the grey area around liking dogs/cats etc. and not pigs is one that actually exists in the majority of people.

This is the best response I have seen to the whole thing on here. Thank you. You get it and are happy with your choices.

I struggle to understand why others are so defensive... Wait, no I don't!

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:49 - Jan 19 with 2981 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:41 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Does it need explaining?

Um, why would I have asked if not?

As I said maybe I am being stupid but surely it's a fair question. If you don't want to then don't worry about it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:50 - Jan 19 with 2993 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:05 - Jan 19 by Darth_Koont

What was I saying about you being over-zealous and making this about you?

It's not about me. It's about Callis. And all the lovely fluffy animals.

Login to get fewer ads

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:51 - Jan 19 with 2992 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:49 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

Um, why would I have asked if not?

As I said maybe I am being stupid but surely it's a fair question. If you don't want to then don't worry about it.

SB

He posted a larger image of it yesterday which makes it clearer. I think it was something like:

Animals being stabbed in the throat - not offensive
Being told you buy animals stabbed in the throat - offensive.

Another blanket statement easily sidestepped by the people it doesn't apply to.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:51 - Jan 19 with 2986 viewsSuperfrans

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:35 - Jan 19 by Ryorry

100% the case for me, so many foods or even whole groups of food (normal bread, cabbage family, dairy for instance) are out, and my absorption of everything's impaired - particularly if in the form of supplements - that I need red meat for the iron and B12 particularly. Can eat some peas & beans but only in small (insufficient) quantities. However, I try to make my diet as varied as poss within the limits, so don't actually eat meat more than 3 x /week.

I was also veggie then briefly vegan at a couple of points in my life, but had to revert cos of gut damage from the CO poisoning.

I don't think omnivores here feel "threatened", but much like the rest of the general population, they don't like being preached at repeatedly, told they're cruel, what they should be doing (almost guaranteed to be counter-productive) etc.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 12:43]

On the "threatened" part, I'm talking generally. It may not account for everyone but lots and lots of people feel their lifestyle is coming under attack from the idea of vegetarianism. It's not disimilar to cyclists and non-cyclists. That said, I do recognise that lots of cyclists and lots of veggies/vegans can be a little evangelical...

I opt out of these conversations mostly. I appreciate veganism and vegetarianism as a life-choice, plus omnivorism too. Do what you want to do, is my view, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:53 - Jan 19 with 2976 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:51 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

He posted a larger image of it yesterday which makes it clearer. I think it was something like:

And simply not true for many others (sorry if that's what you were saying).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:55 - Jan 19 with 2967 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:04 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

The outraged reaction to this (most of which is a fairly rational summary) is faintly ridiculous.

We don't need to eat animals - true.
We were all raised eating animals - true.
Not many vegans immediately post war - true.
But now we have a choice - true.
Veganism is a bit of a pain - true.
Saving a spider, while eating a pig, is hypocrisy - true.
We are all fighting our conscience on this - true for some, not others.

Is any of this really that contentious?

No, it's all bollox apparently. I see Ryorry even down arrowed someone agreeing we don't need to eat meat. If that wasn't the case Callis would be dead by now!

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:57 - Jan 19 with 2964 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:55 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

No, it's all bollox apparently. I see Ryorry even down arrowed someone agreeing we don't need to eat meat. If that wasn't the case Callis would be dead by now!

I down-voted it because it was a generalisation which was manifestly untrue.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:57 - Jan 19 with 2960 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:32 - Jan 19 by benno1uk

I think it's a fad thing that gets up people's noses with Callis. Most people are able to make their own mind up and don't have to slavishly follow the latest fad.

See also Tattoos / beards... there's probably more but I can't be arsed to think/check.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 12:33]

A fad that started with Greek Philosophers.

Greek Philosophers, tut, what have they ever done for us,......
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:57 - Jan 19 with 2960 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:05 - Jan 19 by Darth_Koont

What was I saying about you being over-zealous and making this about you?

No idea, I have you on ignore.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:58 - Jan 19 with 2957 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:57 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

No idea, I have you on ignore.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:58 - Jan 19 with 2927 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:51 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

I must be properly stupid today as that still doesn't make any sense to me.

Surely either both are offensive or both aren't and it entirely depends on your own point of view?

SB

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:59 - Jan 19 with 2943 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:55 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

Ryorry only eats humane meat that was raised freely in a field of rainbows and fed a diet of candy corn before being sent on a spa weekend and killed with kindness right before the end of it's natural lifespan I believe.

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:00 - Jan 19 with 2937 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:58 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

I must be properly stupid today as that still doesn't make any sense to me.

Surely either both are offensive or both aren't and it entirely depends on your own point of view?

SB

That's the point.

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:01 - Jan 19 with 2911 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:00 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

That's the point.

I'm afraid your other avatar was much better.

You are implying that most people hold the views you have ticked which I actually think it's very unlikely.

SB

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:02 - Jan 19 with 2928 viewsDarth_Koont

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:50 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

It's not about me. It's about Callis. And all the lovely fluffy animals.

My post was in response to Callis. Seems like it's now defaulted to the thread when his post disappeared.

If you need your usual fix of attention I'm sure that you'll get it soon enough.

Pronouns: He/Him

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:02 - Jan 19 with 2921 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:01 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

I'm afraid your other avatar was much better.

You are implying that most people hold the views you have ticked which I actually think it's very unlikely.

SB

My interactions on here say otherwise.

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:03 - Jan 19 with 2898 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:02 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

My interactions on here say otherwise.

I don't think that's true, in fact I think pretty much the opposite is true but no point getting into it is there.

SB

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:03 - Jan 19 with 2916 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:59 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Ryorry only eats humane meat that was raised freely in a field of rainbows and fed a diet of candy corn before being sent on a spa weekend and killed with kindness right before the end of it's natural lifespan I believe.

Precisely*, glad that after about 6 threads & umpteen posts you actually show some understanding.

*The bit about the spa weekend may not be true, & rainbows weren't every day of the week I must admit. Mea culpa.

Nothing contentious at all on 13:05 - Jan 19 with 2904 viewsDyland

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:04 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

The outraged reaction to this (most of which is a fairly rational summary) is faintly ridiculous.

We don't need to eat animals - true.
We were all raised eating animals - true.
Not many vegans immediately post war - true.
But now we have a choice - true.
Veganism is a bit of a pain - true.
Saving a spider, while eating a pig, is hypocrisy - true.
We are all fighting our conscience on this - true for some, not others.

Is any of this really that contentious?

I think posters just get fed up with the repetitive theme. But why they don't just delete the threads they don't want to post on is completely beyond me. The TWTD forum is incredibly quick and easy to manage regarding what you want to post and read.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024