Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53743 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:13 - Jan 19 with 4132 viewsTJS

The vegetarians that make me laugh are the ones who own cats and dogs and feed them meat every day and turn a blind eye to the number of wild birds their cats kill.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:20 - Jan 19 with 4116 viewsbenno1uk

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:44 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

Where have I been preachy? I'm not even a vegan. I was actually eating two bacon rolls while I was writing the OP!

Battered sausage and chips for me!
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:21 - Jan 19 with 4112 viewsitfcjoe

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:32 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Is there any part of the meat industry that doesn't kill animals for the end result?

Can you 100% assure me you know where all your animal products come from and you aren't funding the "cruel" side of the industry?

Of course I can't, can you absolutely assure me 100% that nothing you buy is from sweat shops and the like?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:26 - Jan 19 with 4091 viewsbenno1uk

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:21 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Of course I can't, can you absolutely assure me 100% that nothing you buy is from sweat shops and the like?

Callis does advocate fishing. But I suppose the fish don't feel the hook so that's fine.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:27 - Jan 19 with 4084 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:21 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Nope, but I don't get defensive when people tell me I'm being a hypocrite in that regard either.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:27 - Jan 19 with 4078 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:26 - Jan 19 by benno1uk

Callis does advocate fishing. But I suppose the fish don't feel the hook so that's fine.

Do I?

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:30 - Jan 19 with 4057 viewsitfcjoe

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:27 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Nope, but I don't get defensive when people tell me I'm being a hypocrite in that regard either.

But how can you 100% assure me that everything you eat doesn't involve suffering to animals along the way? No-one can unless they are living the good life.

I'm not exactly on the defensive either, I'm not an animal lover in any form - if someone had prepared a dog properly for me it wouldn't bother me eating it and I've eaten a wide vareity of animals on my travels, although I'd draw the line at eating somebodies pet, but that would include a pet pig so it's nothing about 'perception'.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:32 - Jan 19 with 4041 viewsbenno1uk

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:27 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Do I?

Apparently yes.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/380017/fishing/
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 13:35]
Login to get fewer ads

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:38 - Jan 19 with 3999 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:59 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Ryorry only eats humane meat that was raised freely in a field of rainbows and fed a diet of candy corn before being sent on a spa weekend and killed with kindness right before the end of it's natural lifespan I believe.

In the wild when humans hunted a cow (or historic similar animal) it would have likely been in a large open green area grazing on grass. Humans would then have killed it.

With the beef I buy, cows would have been standing in a large green open area grazing on grass. Humans/a human would then have slaughtered it as humanely as possible.

That has been the argument all along. We're fully aware where meat comes from. I will often thing 'i'm eating a pig' when having a bacon sandwich etc. All I do is try and buy products from as close to nature as possible. An animal still has to die for it, no argument.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:41 - Jan 19 with 3975 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:02 - Jan 19 by Darth_Koont

My post was in response to Callis. Seems like it's now defaulted to the thread when his post disappeared.

If you need your usual fix of attention I'm sure that you'll get it soon enough.

You're giving it to me right now, so I'm happy.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:43 - Jan 19 with 3962 viewsimsureazzure

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:32 - Jan 19 by benno1uk

Apparently yes.

Ace.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:55 - Jan 19 with 3915 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:32 - Jan 19 by benno1uk

Apparently yes.

Not sure how a post from 2016 proves I condone fishing.

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:59 - Jan 19 with 3904 viewsBlueStreak

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:55 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Not sure how a post from 2016 proves I condone fishing.

Really?! Come on
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:01 - Jan 19 with 3895 viewsartsbossbeard

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:59 - Jan 19 by BlueStreak

Really?! Come on

*holds Bluestreak back (way too easily I might add)*

"He's not worth it, fella! We've all had a drink"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:02 - Jan 19 with 3883 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:59 - Jan 19 by BlueStreak

Really?! Come on

I used to eat meat. I also used to believe in Santa.

TWTD never forgets…

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:03 - Jan 19 with 3878 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:02 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

I used to eat meat. I also used to believe in Santa.

Which one did you give up first?

Truly impaired.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:04 - Jan 19 with 3873 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:38 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

In the wild when humans hunted a cow (or historic similar animal) it would have likely been in a large open green area grazing on grass. Humans would then have killed it.

With the beef I buy, cows would have been standing in a large green open area grazing on grass. Humans/a human would then have slaughtered it as humanely as possible.

That has been the argument all along. We're fully aware where meat comes from. I will often thing 'i'm eating a pig' when having a bacon sandwich etc. All I do is try and buy products from as close to nature as possible. An animal still has to die for it, no argument.

I appreciate all you have said about your choices.

An interesting view about such farming may or may not be of interest.

https://brugesvegan.com/2017/11/25/pig-farmer-turns-vegan/

To save some time, the relevant quote from the ex-humane Pig farmer is

“Our customers loved to hear that the pigs had had “a good life” and how “humane” our meat was. But of course, they didn’t want to hear about the ugly side of raising the animals. If I’d told them that a mother sow didn’t want to be separated from her babies or that the pigs screamed with anguish as they were loaded onto the lorry bound for the abattoir, I wouldn’t have kept a single customer.”
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:06 - Jan 19 with 3860 viewsBlueStreak

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:01 - Jan 19 by artsbossbeard

*holds Bluestreak back (way too easily I might add)*

"He's not worth it, fella! We've all had a drink"

to be fair that post was ALL the way back in 2016.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:07 - Jan 19 with 3850 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:04 - Jan 19 by eireblue

I appreciate all you have said about your choices.

An interesting view about such farming may or may not be of interest.

https://brugesvegan.com/2017/11/25/pig-farmer-turns-vegan/

To save some time, the relevant quote from the ex-humane Pig farmer is

“Our customers loved to hear that the pigs had had “a good life” and how “humane” our meat was. But of course, they didn’t want to hear about the ugly side of raising the animals. If I’d told them that a mother sow didn’t want to be separated from her babies or that the pigs screamed with anguish as they were loaded onto the lorry bound for the abattoir, I wouldn’t have kept a single customer.”

Thanks. I won't turn my back on things like this and pretend they don't happen. I'll have a read.

Truly impaired.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:10 - Jan 19 with 3837 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:07 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

Kicking a dog to death is a straw man. The animal industry has standards to maintain and if they aren't then this is the issue that needs to be addressed.

If you w@nked in someone's pizza when you worked at Dominos and were filmed by hidden cameras that wouldn't be representative of the whole pizza industry in the same way that someone abusing an animal wouldn't be for the animal rearing industry

One of the things that one may want to acknowledge, is that the reason there are animal industry standards, is that people that cared about such things and believed that animals should be treated humanely, campaigned for such legislation.

So in a sort of ironic way, the reason you can make that point, is maybe and partially, as a result of the work of a 19th century style Callis.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 14:17]
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:13 - Jan 19 with 3818 viewsgtsb1966

My contribution to this thread. Good album. That is all.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:13 - Jan 19 with 3818 viewsGeoffSentence

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:40 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

So you're a bit like Spock then.

In more ways than you can guess.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:15 - Jan 19 with 3804 viewsSuperfrans

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:06 - Jan 19 by BlueStreak

to be fair that post was ALL the way back in 2016.

to be fair, he was asking for info about something he last did 10 years before and which there is no evidence he did again. If that's the case for the "hypocrisy prosecution", its a bit thin.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:18 - Jan 19 with 3785 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:13 - Jan 19 by gtsb1966

My contribution to this thread. Good album. That is all.

From the same period

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:28 - Jan 19 with 3751 viewsBlueStreak

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:15 - Jan 19 by Superfrans

to be fair, he was asking for info about something he last did 10 years before and which there is no evidence he did again. If that's the case for the "hypocrisy prosecution", its a bit thin.

Surely by asking the questions that he did suggests he was considering going fishing again?! No evidence is required that said fishing took place, but that indeed Callis was happy to discard the welfare of the poor helpless fishy to enjoy an afternoon being 'chilled as f*ck'....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024