Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53748 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:27 - Jan 19 with 6360 viewswitchdoctor

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:57 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

No idea, I have you on ignore.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:30 - Jan 19 with 6338 viewswitchdoctor

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:55 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Not sure how a post from 2016 proves I condone fishing.

oh deary deary me..😂😂😂
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:35 - Jan 19 with 6310 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 16:19 - Jan 19 by _

I'm 45. Dunno what that's got to do with the price of lentils.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:36 - Jan 19 with 6302 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 15:56 - Jan 19 by jaseitfc

I didn't read your opinion to be honest, I know all the arguments, you could tell me I'll start pooping gold if I stop drinking milk and I wouldn't care, and further to that I just interpret your post as trying to wind people up on here unnecessarily.

Your sign off "captain sensible" confirms my view of you - how old are you out of curiosity?

Isnt the phone data or laptop battery you are using to write these terrible posts causing something unethical to happen? I really wish not using message boards was a central tenant of veganism

I'll have to bow down to your maturity here. I can't compete.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:43 - Jan 19 with 6272 viewslocalboy78

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:04 - Jan 19 with 6180 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:30 - Jan 19 by itfcjoe

But how can you 100% assure me that everything you eat doesn't involve suffering to animals along the way? No-one can unless they are living the good life.

I'm not exactly on the defensive either, I'm not an animal lover in any form - if someone had prepared a dog properly for me it wouldn't bother me eating it and I've eaten a wide vareity of animals on my travels, although I'd draw the line at eating somebodies pet, but that would include a pet pig so it's nothing about 'perception'.

Sorry for the delayed reply but felt this was worth a proper one from my laptop.

I can't guarantee anything. I know an insect probably died from my food or an animal lost it's habitat. It may have even been minced in a farming tool. Sad indeed, but still I feel it's better than actively eating something that has been reared and killed for the sake of food, possibly after a miserable life of pain. It's also backed by research that the vegan diet, even with these things in consideration, has less impact on animal cruelty than an animal produce inclusive diet.

I understand that you personally aren't bothered about what you eat, and it's refreshing to here. I'm just bored of people separating the reality of the animal produce industry with their own diet. If you eat it, you eat it. Accept it if you are okay with it and I have nothing more to add. It's the people intent on justifying it with me that I'm going to clash with because I can't find a serious defence for eating meat vs the reasons I stopped with animal products.

Hope that clears things up. I'm not unreasonable, but at the same time I won't be reasonable with unreasonable people

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:22 - Jan 19 with 6160 viewsStirlingArcher

Haven't read all of the thread, as Dolly's picked an easy 10 pager...

however

What irks or angers me:

Callis (and a LOT of Vegans) are extreme in their belief.
Extreme beliefs rarely (and on TWTD this theory holds water) are taken well and are also rarely deployed well.
Someone could essentially tell me or 99% of the population that we could save 5 grand a year, but if it's done in a pomp self righteous manner, it will raise the heckles/hackles of everyone it is told to.
For someone and a group of people who are so "in tune with nature" the lack of common decency and consideration is amazing.

Then there's the pure bull that so many vegans spout:

I've been told and have read claims that veganism can CURE cancer. Now I'm pretty sure the recent breakthrough in blood samples to detect what type of cancer you have (if you do have it) have been aided by a nutritional balance of broccoli and chick peas....

The idea that cats can eat a vegan diet because the owner is.... obligate carnivores. so no. I've seen vegan cat food and when/if i EVER EVER see anyone buying it for a cat I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger for animal abuse. Ironic for a vegan huh?

you know what... here's a link to some more
https://legionathletics.com/9-lies-vegans-love-telling/

I am going to end this on a positive though, I do think there is a lot of good intention in veganism.

There are just some complete and utter rollocks spouted, and as for Earthling Ed ....
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:58 - Jan 19 with 6139 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:22 - Jan 19 by StirlingArcher

however

What irks or angers me:

Extreme beliefs rarely (and on TWTD this theory holds water) are taken well and are also rarely deployed well.
Someone could essentially tell me or 99% of the population that we could save 5 grand a year, but if it's done in a pomp self righteous manner, it will raise the heckles/hackles of everyone it is told to.
For someone and a group of people who are so "in tune with nature" the lack of common decency and consideration is amazing.

I've been told and have read claims that veganism can CURE cancer. Now I'm pretty sure the recent breakthrough in blood samples to detect what type of cancer you have (if you do have it) have been aided by a nutritional balance of broccoli and chick peas....

The idea that cats can eat a vegan diet because the owner is.... obligate carnivores. so no. I've seen vegan cat food and when/if i EVER EVER see anyone buying it for a cat I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger for animal abuse. Ironic for a vegan huh?

I am going to end this on a positive though, I do think there is a lot of good intention in veganism.

There are just some complete and utter rollocks spouted, and as for Earthling Ed ....

FWIW, I don't think cats can be vegan or that veganism cures cancer.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 22:43 - Jan 19 with 6111 viewswellsy700

Spot on mate. A brave post to make as well

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 22:55 - Jan 19 with 6094 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:04 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Sorry for the delayed reply but felt this was worth a proper one from my laptop.

I can't guarantee anything. I know an insect probably died from my food or an animal lost it's habitat. It may have even been minced in a farming tool. Sad indeed, but still I feel it's better than actively eating something that has been reared and killed for the sake of food, possibly after a miserable life of pain. It's also backed by research that the vegan diet, even with these things in consideration, has less impact on animal cruelty than an animal produce inclusive diet.

I understand that you personally aren't bothered about what you eat, and it's refreshing to here. I'm just bored of people separating the reality of the animal produce industry with their own diet. If you eat it, you eat it. Accept it if you are okay with it and I have nothing more to add. It's the people intent on justifying it with me that I'm going to clash with because I can't find a serious defence for eating meat vs the reasons I stopped with animal products.

Hope that clears things up. I'm not unreasonable, but at the same time I won't be reasonable with unreasonable people

Do the vegan soc have a position on the use of farm manure (from say organic dairy herds) for growing veg?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 23:00 - Jan 19 with 6081 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 22:55 - Jan 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do the vegan soc have a position on the use of farm manure (from say organic dairy herds) for growing veg?

To extend that what about animals tilling the field where produce is grown? For instance water buffalo in paddy-fields.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 00:27 - Jan 20 with 6051 viewsMothersAgainstKids

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 14:10 - Jan 19 by eireblue

One of the things that one may want to acknowledge, is that the reason there are animal industry standards, is that people that cared about such things and believed that animals should be treated humanely, campaigned for such legislation.

So in a sort of ironic way, the reason you can make that point, is maybe and partially, as a result of the work of a 19th century style Callis.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2018 14:17]

Those same standards that are too often by-passed in the preparation of halal meat - which I remember you defending.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 01:14 - Jan 20 with 6012 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 23:00 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

To extend that what about animals tilling the field where produce is grown? For instance water buffalo in paddy-fields.

SB

Silly argument. You are always going to affect something by your actions

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 03:57 - Jan 20 with 5976 viewsBenters2

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 21:22 - Jan 19 by StirlingArcher

however

What irks or angers me:

There are well over 100 types of Cancer,a change of diet if you have been living off crap and catch this C of a disease can help,but it wont cure it.

Ive never seen a vegan cat.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 05:05 - Jan 20 with 5952 viewsSpruceMoose

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 16:35 - Jan 19 by BrixtonBlue

I'm 45. Dunno what that's got to do with the price of lentils.

45?!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 06:22 - Jan 20 with 5932 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 00:27 - Jan 20 by MothersAgainstKids

Those same standards that are too often by-passed in the preparation of halal meat - which I remember you defending.

Your memory is wrong.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 06:43 - Jan 20 with 5929 viewseireblue

however

What irks or angers me:

You should relax more. Meat eaters don't anger me.

The 9 lies article is a set of 8 things I know I haven't said and is somewhat made of straw, and the 9th is simply wrong.

How could anyone except a long term vegan be definitive on number 9?
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 06:50 - Jan 20 with 5927 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 23:00 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

SB

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Hope that helps.

Veganism is a direction of travel not an end-point.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 08:42 - Jan 20 with 5889 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 06:50 - Jan 20 by eireblue

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Hope that helps.

Veganism is a direction of travel not an end-point.

Sure, that's a good pragmatic approach to take.

SB

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 08:45 - Jan 20 with 5886 viewsStokieBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 01:14 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

Silly argument. You are always going to affect something by your actions

Firstly it wasn't an argument it was a question. Secondly eireblue gave a sensible and reasoned response.

Maybe if you weren't looking to jump on everyone all the time you'd be able to do the same.

SB
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 8:53]

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 09:06 - Jan 20 with 5873 viewsblueconscience

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:45 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

This is the best response I have seen to the whole thing on here. Thank you. You get it and are happy with your choices.

I struggle to understand why others are so defensive... Wait, no I don't!

They why mention the topic in the first place, if people are happy eating plants good for them, if people are happy eating meat good for them also.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 09:38 - Jan 20 with 5850 viewsRyorry

Thank heavens it's a match day and this will soon drop to the infinite void that is page 2.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 09:42 - Jan 20 with 5840 viewseireblue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 09:38 - Jan 20 by Ryorry

Thank heavens it's a match day and this will soon drop to the infinite void that is page 2.

I guess that depends on whether people keep posting in the thread.
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:09 - Jan 20 with 5804 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 08:45 - Jan 20 by StokieBlue

Firstly it wasn't an argument it was a question. Secondly eireblue gave a sensible and reasoned response.

Maybe if you weren't looking to jump on everyone all the time you'd be able to do the same.

SB
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 8:53]

It was a loaded question to make a point. Mine was pretty much the same answer. I didn't "jump" on anyone. You just continuously look to be offended by me.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:11 - Jan 20 with 5800 viewsGlasgowBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 22:43 - Jan 19 by wellsy700

Spot on mate. A brave post to make as well

Brave? He’s hardly fighting on the front line against Isis.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 10:12]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024