Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53454 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 10:14 - Jan 20 with 3112 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:11 - Jan 20 by GlasgowBlue

Brave? He’s hardly fighting on the front line against Isis.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 10:12]

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:15 - Jan 20 with 3102 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 10:14 - Jan 20 by _

Stop victimising me Libby.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:16 - Jan 20 with 3096 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:11 - Jan 20 by GlasgowBlue

Good point Glassers

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:18 - Jan 20 with 3086 viewsJ2BLUE

No, he's advertising Haribo making our soldiers bigger targets for ISIS.

*runs away*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 with 3074 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:18 - Jan 20 by J2BLUE

No, he's advertising Haribo making our soldiers bigger targets for ISIS.

*runs away*

Haribo doesn't make you grow bigger as far as I'm aware.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 with 3074 viewseireblue

on 10:14 - Jan 20 by _

It does somewhat depend on your definition of Brave and which usage was being applied.

Dictionaries may define it as:

brave (breɪv)
adj
a. having or displaying courage, resolution, or daring; not cowardly or timid
b. (as collective noun preceded by the): the brave.
2. fine; splendid: a brave sight; a brave attempt.
3. archaic excellent or admirable
n
4. (Peoples) a warrior of a Native American tribe
5. an obsolete word for bully1
vb (tr)
6. to dare or defy: to brave the odds.
7. to confront with resolution or courage: to brave the storm.
8. obsolete to make splendid, esp in dress
on 10:22 - Jan 20 with 3071 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 by eireblue

It does somewhat depend on your definition of Brave and which usage was being applied.

brave (breɪv)
adj
n
vb (tr)

on 10:23 - Jan 20 with 3069 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

Login to get fewer ads

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:27 - Jan 20 with 3057 viewsBluebell

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

Fatter maybe!
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:27 - Jan 20 with 3056 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:20 - Jan 20 by eireblue

brave (breɪv)
adj
n
vb (tr)

I do like to look splendid in a dress.

on 10:28 - Jan 20 with 3051 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:27 - Jan 20 by Bluebell

Fatter maybe!

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:28 - Jan 20 with 3049 viewswellsy700

Brave in the sense that he posted his thoughts and opinions, knowing that he would be ridiculed. It's all relative. At least he's started an interesting discussion

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:29 - Jan 20 with 3046 viewsBluebell

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:27 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

I do like to look splendid in a dress.

Beat me to it Dolly.
on 10:31 - Jan 20 with 3039 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:28 - Jan 20 by wellsy700

Brave in the sense that he posted his thoughts and opinions, knowing that he would be ridiculed. It's all relative. At least he's started an interesting discussion

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 3028 viewsBluebell

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:28 - Jan 20 by wellsy700

But this is the internet. He could be sitting at home in a dress (see above) and laughing at the response it is getting.

That is not particularly brave.
on 10:37 - Jan 20 with 3006 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:33 - Jan 20 by Bluebell

But this is the internet. He could be sitting at home in a dress (see above) and laughing at the response it is getting.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:37 - Jan 20 with 3006 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:33 - Jan 20 by Bluebell

I could be typing this in a dress on the front line in Syria. That would be brave.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:38 - Jan 20 with 3004 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Yes, this place has been crying out for an 'interesting discussion' like this.

So brave.
on 10:39 - Jan 20 with 2997 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:37 - Jan 20 by BrixtonBlue

I could be typing this in a dress on the front line in Syria. That would be brave.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:42 - Jan 20 with 2987 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 06:50 - Jan 20 by eireblue

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

Hope that helps.

Veganism is a direction of travel not an end-point.

This. Still not sure why I we have to continually remind folk that no one said veganism is perfect.

Rommers just used this thread to demonstrate how he’s not the issue, but it’s for the most part ended in civil discussion and now it’s turned into BANTZ.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:45 - Jan 20 with 2981 viewsRyorry

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 09:42 - Jan 20 by eireblue

I guess that depends on whether people keep posting in the thread.

4 hours more or less to K/O - when despite Callis', Brixton's, and your best endeavours*, I think you'll find veganism hasn't yet overtaken footie in popularity on this ITFC fans forum!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

on 10:49 - Jan 20 with 2969 views_

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:45 - Jan 20 by Ryorry

4 hours more or less to K/O - when despite Callis', Brixton's, and your best endeavours*, I think you'll find veganism hasn't yet overtaken footie in popularity on this ITFC fans forum!

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:52 - Jan 20 with 2960 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 10:49 - Jan 20 by _

No, we haven't reached 10 pages yet. I have quotas to fill for Phil.

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:54 - Jan 20 with 2953 viewsmonytowbray

Die like a slaughtered animal?

I said I’d let it die and only make promotional posts a while back. This whole thing seems to kick off again because people hijack said posts or drag it up on a thread about shirt sponsors!

The idea of talking about cricket bores me to death, yet I somehow manage to get through life without ever having to speak about it by avoiding internet discussion about it or raising it as a topic. It’s really not that hard and I have no idea why some people can’t help but push me towards talking about a subject I’m evidently passionate and opinionated on.

Treat me like Grandpa Simpson and you’ll be fine.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 10:56 - Jan 20 with 2949 viewsRyorry

I think when Callis calls people out on their views, then when they explain why their lifestyle is perfectly justifiable, but he ignores them to keep spouting the same old same old, they are entitled to keep defending their viewpoint which has already been justified.* And what you referred to as "posts like this" was just a light-hearted jokey post.

But I agree with you that it's time to just let it die, & many others seem to agree also, hence the number of downvotes for Brixton's OP.

*Edit: I refer the Honourable Members to Throbbe's long post which summarises things perfectly - p5, 3rd post down.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 11:15]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024