Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think I know why people get so angry with Callis 11:09 - Jan 19 with 53677 viewsBrixtonBlue

They know, deep down, he's right. We don't need to eat animals. It is pretty cruel to breed them just to slaughter them, unless it's absolutely necessary for your survival (survival of the fittest). I think a lot of people are fighting with their own conscience and don't like that Callis is the one bringing that fight to the forefront of their minds.

For me, and I suspect a lot of us are the same, I was brought up believing eating animals was absolutely fine. I imagine in the early years I didn't even realise what I was eating. My dad would always drum into me about not wasting food... but then he, in turn, was brought up during the war when you couldn't be fussy. I bet there weren't many vegans knocking about in the 40's!

Also, animals do contain the nutrients we need AND our teeth are designed for tearing flesh.

Now, though, we have a choice. The problem is we've grown up with meat, we like it, and veganism seems a bit of a faff. That's the truth of it. I'll put a spider out in the garden rather than killing it but I'll happily tuck into a steak. We're hypocrites. Just accept that actually, however he expresses it, Callis is right. And then you won't get so angry.

Two things we can all do quite easily are eat less meat and eat outdoor-bred when we do have it. I do that, and although it's a long way short of what Callis is doing, it's better than nothing. And better for my conscience!

Right, need to get ready for heading oop north. I shall check back to see how this one turns out shortly!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:20 - Jan 21 with 1004 viewsBrixtonBlue

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 12:48 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

For me, eating is just another strand of life that it's possible to do in many ways and they all have their plusses and minusses, but ultimately we all have to eat to live and many factors affect what we do.

A vegan diet is, undoubtedly, better for the animals but other diets are better for other areas and if a vegan drinks heavily and smokes then they are probably committing more sin towards the world and the country as they are going to be unhealthy and become a bigger burden on the state.

People can be informed and make different choices though, many people aren't animal lovers and see them as being bred to feed and are comfortable with that. I'd still deem it natural selection, even if it is maybe done in an unnatural way now it's just what evolution intended as it is happening

" if a vegan drinks heavily and smokes then they are probably committing more sin towards the world and the country as they are going to be unhealthy and become a bigger burden on the state."

Wow. That's a mind-boggling straw man!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 981 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:02 - Jan 21 by No9

We are told by many sources 'eat a well balanced diet' but we have never been educated as to what 'a well balanced diet' is.

No one actually knows what it is and no one is the same. The 5 a day thing is simply a number the government made up to encourage us to eat more fruit and veg - in other countries that number (and the portion sizes to make it) changes.

My grandad recently passed just short of his 80th birthday (which would have been next week). He smoked heavily all his life (he was still smoking 3 days before he died despite having lung cancer) and up until maybe 2/3 decades ago was a heavy drinker. He did however have an active labour job, played sports most of his life and was his food diet was typical of any Brit at the time (he was never big on fast food).

On the flip side, the postman in the old village I’m from was a health nut who was in great shape yet he died of a heart attack in his mid 40s.

Hell, look at Mick Jagger or Ozzy Osbourne? How are they still around!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:39 - Jan 21 with 974 viewsJ2BLUE

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:37 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

No one actually knows what it is and no one is the same. The 5 a day thing is simply a number the government made up to encourage us to eat more fruit and veg - in other countries that number (and the portion sizes to make it) changes.

My grandad recently passed just short of his 80th birthday (which would have been next week). He smoked heavily all his life (he was still smoking 3 days before he died despite having lung cancer) and up until maybe 2/3 decades ago was a heavy drinker. He did however have an active labour job, played sports most of his life and was his food diet was typical of any Brit at the time (he was never big on fast food).

On the flip side, the postman in the old village I’m from was a health nut who was in great shape yet he died of a heart attack in his mid 40s.

Hell, look at Mick Jagger or Ozzy Osbourne? How are they still around!

My grandad is 90. Pretty much lives on sugared tea, cakes, chips, pies and other convenience foods.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 964 viewsmonytowbray

I think I know why people get so angry with Callis on 13:39 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

My grandad is 90. Pretty much lives on sugared tea, cakes, chips, pies and other convenience foods.

I said to my Dad at his funeral I was impressed he went as long as he did, he must have been on borrowed time since his 50s!

He survived menningitis aged 65 and spent a week or two on life support. Doctors said he was as good as dead and even when he amazingly recovered they said there could be permantent mental/physical damage - he was back at work 5 weeks after getting out of hospital!

Don’t make ‘em how they used to. I often wonder if he gave up on life after the last decade of following Town LOL.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024