Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you buy music these days? 17:50 - Jan 19 with 10186 viewsBrixtonBlue

I got a CD at Xmas which I asked for as I still have a cd player in the car, but then realised I don't actually drive that much anymore. Also got bought a record player (also asked for for Xmas) but don't have a lot of vinyl. Increasingly I just seem to listen to stuff on Spotify.

Does make me wonder how that works - presumably the artist gets a bit of cash per play of each track?

Anyway, never really got into downloading albums onto the phone etc. What does everyone else do?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How do you buy music these days? on 21:20 - Jan 19 with 3062 viewsCrawfordsboot

Streaming high quality digital via Tidal into a quality DAC, power amp and speakers.

I stream music on demand and find a lot of new music this way. I also have all my CDs stored digitally on a hard drive and can stream them from there. Playing my CDs through a high end deck or streaming from the digital copy I struggle to tell the difference. Both systems will identify quality recordings and/or crap recording quality. Streaming is winning for me because of the sheer convenience.

Expecting a mobile phone to do the job and produce quality sound is naive. It will though reproduce a basic pop sound.

Nothing though sounds as good as a live acoustic guitar 🎼🎶🎶🎶
How do you buy music these days? on 08:35 - Jan 20 with 3013 viewschicoazul

How do you buy music these days? on 20:55 - Jan 19 by monytowbray

Music sales are a dead format, most bands in the circles I listen to make more money selling tees and records at shows (which I often attend ) over music sales and streaming.

I also tend to buy anything I like on vinyl. I'm so keen to get an email or letter from a label's lawyer about downloading something illegally so I can send them a photo of me holding their record and wearing their tee with my middle finder up :)

My favourite band I'm at a point where the singer sends me personal thank you notes with every order I make as I literally buy everything they put out merch wise. I saw them tour late last year and had a nice long chat with him at the merch table, he's a lovely chap.

Also, I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I've never once said I'm "Mr. Morals", I'm far from perfect!

One of my hobbies is reading people's twisted justifications for stealing money from artists & artisans and this one is a doozy so thank you very much.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you buy music these days? on 09:37 - Jan 20 with 2992 viewsNo9

The last music I bought was a re-release of Bowies 'Hunky Dory' on vinyl.
I know a lot of record companies rip off the artist but I have resurected my Vinyl deck because CD's never really matched them
I am still awaiting Neil Youngs new format to hi the market
How do you buy music these days? on 09:56 - Jan 20 with 2980 viewsDubtractor

How do you buy music these days? on 08:35 - Jan 20 by chicoazul

One of my hobbies is reading people's twisted justifications for stealing money from artists & artisans and this one is a doozy so thank you very much.

I don't doubt Callis does a lot to support music, but it is a pretty weak excuse.

There is some truth in what he says, a lot of the bands I see touring from America rely hugely on the merch sales to make the numbers add up for them, but I'm sure bands would rather have the money from the music sales AND the merchandise.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

How do you buy music these days? on 10:25 - Jan 20 with 2963 viewsGavTWTD

How do you buy music these days? on 19:40 - Jan 19 by Dubtractor

A recording gets uploaded by the station on mixcloud on Monday, but if you fancy a listen this is a show from before Christmas. Only thing is that the sound quality isn't brilliant on the recordings - I guess they compress it down as they record every show.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ioradiouk/all-shook-up-with-paul-on-io-radio-081217/

Enjoyed that. I've clicked "follow" but if it only tells me via facebook then I'll probably miss out. We'd have no objection if you post that whenever you do one.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

How do you buy music these days? on 10:33 - Jan 20 with 2959 viewsHerbivore

CDs. I'm old skool.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:35 - Jan 20 with 2957 viewslinhdi

CD, which then get popped into my IPod classic, which is getting close to full. I listen a lot in the car and on train trips.
How do you buy music these days? on 10:50 - Jan 20 with 2943 viewsmonytowbray

Nice. My hobby is doing the same but with eating meat ;)

As someone who has played music for years and knows a lot of people who also do at varying heights of a career, most actually see physical releases as an advertising tool to sell a physical copy to vinyl buyers, get people to shows and sell tees.

I still buy most the records I like om vinyl and stream them, but until Apple TV gets a Spotify plug in I’m using iTunes to push my music to there. I’m not about to spend money buying music online I already own.

You’re more than welcome to come over and admire my collection of CDs, records and T-shirts some time if you wish to endulge your hobby further and pick holes in how I operate.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

How do you buy music these days? on 11:09 - Jan 20 with 2936 viewsWonky

Buy music?. I remember doing that in the 90's.
How do you buy music these days? on 14:35 - Jan 20 with 2900 viewsGeoffSentence

The great thing about streaming music is that it has democratised ripping off musicians. It used to be only record labels and management that did it, now everyone can.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How do you buy music these days? on 09:51 - Jan 24 with 2820 viewschicoazul

How do you buy music these days? on 14:35 - Jan 20 by GeoffSentence

The great thing about streaming music is that it has democratised ripping off musicians. It used to be only record labels and management that did it, now everyone can.

But at least they do get paid. Nobody ever said every musician should be rich as Springsteen. Stealing is stealing and I never tire of reading how people who think they are fans of an artist justify themselves. If I stole a Picasso because I really love his work then those same people would be demanding I go to jail and rightly so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:12 - Jan 24 with 2804 viewscatch74

Music sales are a dead format, most bands in the circles I listen to make more money selling tees and records at shows (which I often attend ) over music sales and streaming.

I also tend to buy anything I like on vinyl. I'm so keen to get an email or letter from a label's lawyer about downloading something illegally so I can send them a photo of me holding their record and wearing their tee with my middle finder up :)

My favourite band I'm at a point where the singer sends me personal thank you notes with every order I make as I literally buy everything they put out merch wise. I saw them tour late last year and had a nice long chat with him at the merch table, he's a lovely chap.

Also, I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but I've never once said I'm "Mr. Morals", I'm far from perfect!

My sister and a lot of other musicians rely on royalties from the music they’re involved in, so not dead for everyone. I know you certainly do your bit for the industry but don’t ever think you can justify illegal downloads!

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:15 - Jan 24 with 2798 viewscatch74

How do you buy music these days? on 10:50 - Jan 20 by monytowbray

Nice. My hobby is doing the same but with eating meat ;)

As someone who has played music for years and knows a lot of people who also do at varying heights of a career, most actually see physical releases as an advertising tool to sell a physical copy to vinyl buyers, get people to shows and sell tees.

I still buy most the records I like om vinyl and stream them, but until Apple TV gets a Spotify plug in I’m using iTunes to push my music to there. I’m not about to spend money buying music online I already own.

You’re more than welcome to come over and admire my collection of CDs, records and T-shirts some time if you wish to endulge your hobby further and pick holes in how I operate.

Sorry Callis, didn’t read second page and there are some similar responses to mine, didn’t mean to jump on the bandwagon.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:18 - Jan 24 with 2793 viewsitfcjoe

CDs for me, I feel like it's better value and then upload it onto phone via iTunes and stick it in the car or van to listen to.

I buy new music very infrequently to be honest though, more of a podcast man

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:26 - Jan 24 with 2784 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

How do you buy music these days? on 20:16 - Jan 19 by DebsyAngel

CDs mostly from EBay as better value and postage.

Old vinyl from charity shops, depending on the price,

I also tape albums onto cassettes - so old school!

Cassettes?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:37 - Jan 24 with 2773 viewsSuperfrans

"most bands in the circles I listen to make more money selling tees and records at shows (which I often attend ) over music sales and streaming"

I wonder why this is? Actually, I don't, it's because people like you don't pay for their recorded music, but rip it off and make the justifications that you have.

I work in the business and see the stats. It's a huge irony for me that fans who insist they love their music and their artists make these kind of justifications. It has become increasingly difficult for small artists and labels to remain economically viable because whole fanbases think it's cooler to share hard-drives or use peer-to-peer services etc. As a result, many artists operating in certain genres (rock music of various types seems to be worst hit) simply can't survive. So they don't.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

How do you buy music these days? on 10:47 - Jan 24 with 2761 viewshype313

I don't buy music anymore, I generally listen to mixes on Soundcloud or Mixcloud if i'm driving.

Although just had Apple Music on a trial via EE and have to say it's pretty comprehensive, everything eclectic I've thrown at it, it has comeback with a tune.

Doubt I'll continue once the free trial has ended, but been very impressed with it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How do you buy music these days? on 10:50 - Jan 24 with 2758 viewsTIB

I order a lot of CD's from Amazon and actually get a lot used from a specific seller. Used it often appears people buy the CD, load it onto their computer and then sell so I end up getting near new CD's for anywhere from 1p - £5. I've toyed with moving to vinyl but for me CD's is what I've always known and replacing every CD with vinyl would cost far too much.

I do occasionally buy single tracks from iTunes if I can't wait for the CD / don't like the rest of the album.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

How do you buy music these days? on 10:56 - Jan 24 with 2749 viewsStokieBlue

How do you buy music these days? on 10:37 - Jan 24 by Superfrans

"most bands in the circles I listen to make more money selling tees and records at shows (which I often attend ) over music sales and streaming"

I wonder why this is? Actually, I don't, it's because people like you don't pay for their recorded music, but rip it off and make the justifications that you have.

I work in the business and see the stats. It's a huge irony for me that fans who insist they love their music and their artists make these kind of justifications. It has become increasingly difficult for small artists and labels to remain economically viable because whole fanbases think it's cooler to share hard-drives or use peer-to-peer services etc. As a result, many artists operating in certain genres (rock music of various types seems to be worst hit) simply can't survive. So they don't.

I'm amazed anyone bothers to use peer-to-peer networks anymore given the cost and ease of streaming services.

It's all a bit 1997.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How do you buy music these days? on 11:04 - Jan 24 with 2733 viewsfarkenhell

How do you buy music these days? on 10:26 - Jan 24 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Cassettes?

That is brilliant!

Is there another one showing a corded telephone with circular dial pad?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 11:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024