Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick loves a dig... 17:50 - Jan 20 with 37480 viewsLuk38644

Mick loves a dig... on 10:19 - Jan 21 with 2149 viewssundaze

Mick loves a dig... on 10:04 - Jan 21 by monty_radio

In light of the comments re Robson etc it feels like we're hearing frustrations coming to the surface. The "it is what it is" and "I knew the gig before I came here" shtick has faded away as he has become increasingly weighed down by the challenge of silk purses out of sows ears.

He knows the history, but feels the burden of the fans view of the club. He wants to be recognised for his own lesser achievement, but, as the memory and the indebtedness become fainter with each safe, but underwhelming season, he seems to have allowed himself to dislike the club itself - small town, too big-a-view of itself, pigmies in hock to dead giants.

Flame-throwing at the stands just to "show 'em" might relieve a bit of the frustration, but it is subject to the law of diminishing returns. I hear people saying "he's just giving it back", but don't we all remember when teachers kept us all in because they couldn't get at the actual culprits? The small town is what it is; the history won't go away, but managers can and do.

Best reply on here.
Mick loves a dig... on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 2132 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick loves a dig... on 07:50 - Jan 21 by TractorWood

Sounds like he's having an argument with himself.

Thinking about it further this morning, I don't actually think it was a dig as such. More him pointing out that him seeing more in signings like Gleeson is why he's the manager and fans who might be underwhelmed aren't. Just checked and more accurately what he said was, "why they’re fans and that’s why I’m the manager". However, given the current context I can see why it was taken as a dig and it was hardly going to improve relations.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Mick loves a dig... on 10:39 - Jan 21 with 2110 viewsMullet

Mick loves a dig... on 10:36 - Jan 21 by PhilTWTD

Thinking about it further this morning, I don't actually think it was a dig as such. More him pointing out that him seeing more in signings like Gleeson is why he's the manager and fans who might be underwhelmed aren't. Just checked and more accurately what he said was, "why they’re fans and that’s why I’m the manager". However, given the current context I can see why it was taken as a dig and it was hardly going to improve relations.

This post has been edited by an administrator

So Watson was turning his own manure to get clicks?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick loves a dig... on 10:42 - Jan 21 with 2106 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick loves a dig... on 10:04 - Jan 21 by monty_radio

In light of the comments re Robson etc it feels like we're hearing frustrations coming to the surface. The "it is what it is" and "I knew the gig before I came here" shtick has faded away as he has become increasingly weighed down by the challenge of silk purses out of sows ears.

He knows the history, but feels the burden of the fans view of the club. He wants to be recognised for his own lesser achievement, but, as the memory and the indebtedness become fainter with each safe, but underwhelming season, he seems to have allowed himself to dislike the club itself - small town, too big-a-view of itself, pigmies in hock to dead giants.

Flame-throwing at the stands just to "show 'em" might relieve a bit of the frustration, but it is subject to the law of diminishing returns. I hear people saying "he's just giving it back", but don't we all remember when teachers kept us all in because they couldn't get at the actual culprits? The small town is what it is; the history won't go away, but managers can and do.

Not sure it's as deep as that, think he's just aware that he's going to get stick when we don't win games such as yesterday's - as he has - and was ruminating on whether people might have an inflated view of where the club is in the current context. I think he is correct to some extent expectation-wise, even if I don't think anybody is expecting us to be reach the heights of Sir Bobby's team. Think that was a bit of hyperbole on his behalf.
Mick loves a dig... on 10:44 - Jan 21 with 2098 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick loves a dig... on 10:39 - Jan 21 by Mullet

So Watson was turning his own manure to get clicks?

Wasn't him that referred to it as a dig, as fair as I'm aware, just the OP.
Mick loves a dig... on 11:48 - Jan 21 with 2047 viewsgroovyASH

Mick loves a dig... on 10:44 - Jan 21 by PhilTWTD

Wasn't him that referred to it as a dig, as fair as I'm aware, just the OP.

I think Watson clearly framed it on twitter knowing what reaction that comment would get.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Mick loves a dig... on 12:06 - Jan 21 with 2032 viewsTheBlueBarca

Mick loves a dig... on 17:53 - Jan 20 by RonFearonsHair

I thought he didn't take any notice of any of that?

The Bobby Robson dig was equally amusing.

He's essentially saying we shouldn't expect to win games because we're not a top 5, top tier side anymore.

Really Mick, I hadn't noticed...

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Mick loves a dig... on 13:31 - Jan 21 with 1969 viewsmonty_radio

Mick loves a dig... on 10:42 - Jan 21 by PhilTWTD

Not sure it's as deep as that, think he's just aware that he's going to get stick when we don't win games such as yesterday's - as he has - and was ruminating on whether people might have an inflated view of where the club is in the current context. I think he is correct to some extent expectation-wise, even if I don't think anybody is expecting us to be reach the heights of Sir Bobby's team. Think that was a bit of hyperbole on his behalf.

Yet hyperbole chosen based on what he knows is the sacred past of the fanbase, especially the older fans. This giving it back stuff does not fit the crime just because a few younger SBR fans chant insults. I've met three older fans separately this morning who wouldn't open their mouths at PR, except to cheer - or berate the ref. They were variously bemused or upset by the latest outburst. They don't see him or know him as you do Phil, and they're shocked that our own manager feels the need to say such things, rather than rise above it.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Mick loves a dig... on 13:40 - Jan 21 with 1963 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick loves a dig... on 13:31 - Jan 21 by monty_radio

Yet hyperbole chosen based on what he knows is the sacred past of the fanbase, especially the older fans. This giving it back stuff does not fit the crime just because a few younger SBR fans chant insults. I've met three older fans separately this morning who wouldn't open their mouths at PR, except to cheer - or berate the ref. They were variously bemused or upset by the latest outburst. They don't see him or know him as you do Phil, and they're shocked that our own manager feels the need to say such things, rather than rise above it.

I doubt it was quite as carefully thought out as that. But totally agree, a manager ought to rise above the terrace abuse and similarly know fans - particularly older fans - who simply feel MM isn't someone worthy of being a Town boss character-wise.
Mick loves a dig... on 13:45 - Jan 21 with 1935 viewsRyorry

Mick loves a dig... on 13:31 - Jan 21 by monty_radio

You can now add a 4th to those "three older fans" then! or a 5th if you count me too!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick loves a dig... on 13:50 - Jan 21 with 1920 viewsSuperfrans

Mick loves a dig... on 13:40 - Jan 21 by PhilTWTD

I doubt it was quite as carefully thought out as that. But totally agree, a manager ought to rise above the terrace abuse and similarly know fans - particularly older fans - who simply feel MM isn't someone worthy of being a Town boss character-wise.

Although Sir Bobby famously labelled the fans “zombies” at one point. Can’t imagine the furore there would have been had social media / messageboards existed then.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick loves a dig... on 14:07 - Jan 21 with 1896 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick loves a dig... on 13:50 - Jan 21 by Superfrans

Although Sir Bobby famously labelled the fans “zombies” at one point. Can’t imagine the furore there would have been had social media / messageboards existed then.

I think there was quite a furore then, lots of letters from fans and apology letters signed by Sir Bobby. He had, though, been manager for about 11 years at that point - I think it was after a Coventry game in around September 1980 if I remember rightly - and had enjoyed considerable success, so had a fair amount of goodwill in the bank.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024