Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 21:12 - Jan 20 with 13140 viewsMach_foreignBlue

If there was a game that needed to tell you that this team doesn't benefit from McCarthy and his flawed 'philosophy' that was the one and obviously there is more to come like that for the remainder of the season. We had to wait 82 minutes to start watching a bit of proper football from the team.

First half was an utter tripe. Literally no positives at all. As it mostly is the case under McCarthy we 'have to watch' the opposition and what they do. Try to stop them playing and keep lumping the ball the forward. Lump it, see what happens, maybe we'll get some luck etc etc.... Super Mick and his typical stuff !

We could have been down after 15 seconds but for the quick reaction from Bart.

Bolton dominated the proceedings in the first half but they clearly lacked the quality. At least they had a desire to attack the opposition whereas we didn't. Buckley was their liveliest player and it's possible that they found our weakness in Iorfa as the majority of their attempts came from his side. To be fair though he didn't do too bad.

Alnwick in their goal will have been bored sh*tless. No shots on target (until 40 min), no shots off target, nothing to worry about. A bit of pressure in their box in the 30 min but their defence dealt well as it was a first 'notable' moment from us. We may have had more possession at times but didn't do anything. Deathly slow midfield incapable of making simple passes. Town fans were clearly displeased to put it nicely.
Couple of glimpses from Celina, the player who always seems to have that 'something' in the bag however given his potential I expected more from him.

39 min and .... we had a corner ! Happy days ! Super Mick ! A minute later another one after which we finally produced something meaningful as Alnwick saved Chambers' shot.

Terrible first half between two very poor teams. A few minutes after the interval we conceded a bad goal as Madine was left unmarked.

All of sudden we became more lively. Super Mick's 'philosophy' as we have to be 1 down before mounting any bit of fight, eh?

Couple of minutes after their goal one of the most annoying moments as McGoldrick ought to have passed the ball to Waghorn and simple tap-in would have been a formality. The former instead decided to be selfish as his tame shot was easily saved by Alnwick.
We may have shown a little bit more willingness to attack but it was still Bolton who looked closer to score. Bialkowski's save from their free-kick followed by a shot 2 minutes later that went narrowly wide.

McGoldrick kept frustrating with his misplaced passes and selfishness as we could have had a winning goal 4 minutes from time. Before that though an equaliser and that was a really nice stuff which we are totally starved of. That was a football ! Proper set-up to the Garner's goal. 82 minutes before mounting an action like that. Soon after we saw another moment of panic in their defence as we tried to rip them and play football. Waghorn hits the post in the final moments of the match. Unfortunately the last 8 minutes of the match was too little to win it.

Why can't we play like that in the first 82 minutes? And this is one of main issues with McCarthy that is unwillingness to attack an opposition. I as a Town fan want our team to dictate the proceedings, to see the opponent scared of us etc etc. I firmly believe that this group of players could thrive under a different manager. Now they seem to be shackled/clueless/devoid of ideas and today this was the case against poor opposition. Bolton were a bunch of donkeys and the table doesn't lie as they are down there for merit. I don't necessarily demand a fully open football but we should have been on the front foot for the majority of the match. But we wasted the opportunity, two points dropped. We would have won it with a positive thinking manager.

McGoldrick and his attitude was very annoying as was Town's performance. Clearly not like a team player today and he could leave us any time for me if he carries on like that. Really disappointed with his display.
Garner despite the goal anonymous throughout.

New boys did fine. Gleeson a few passes forward. Perhaps not accurate at times but I liked his intentions.

Disappointed but not surprised given McCarthys philosophy. There is a hope though (if he leaves us in May) that under the different manager we will see the different approach, domination and willingness to win football matches. At least 4 more months of the ordeal though. To think the morons like Holloway or other pundits from outside keep telling us how lucky we are with him in charge.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2018 21:14]
Match thoughts on 05:51 - Jan 21 with 3755 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 01:16 - Jan 21 by Stenvict

You used to hate Mick, now it's Super Mick this, Super Mick that. Why the change?

You aren't the bright person however no need to worry about my changes. You got a weird fixation with my posts, again no need to be concerned. You could do a better thing for a change and post your match report.
Match thoughts on 06:07 - Jan 21 with 3750 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 23:59 - Jan 20 by Darth_Koont

To be fair, I watched the game. That's why I found the report so poor.

Did you watch the game? Are you taking a piss now?

And you claim that found my report so poor. At least this is the genuine report based on what has happened. Yes a few 'bad' comments about McCarthy whom I despise but the actual report is about the facts as ever. I'm not going to lie people (as you do) and tell them that we hadn't been very poor in the first half. In fact only last 8 minutes of the match was good from us.

I also posted this report to the different Ipswich forum. Here below is a portion of the post from the different member who was at the game too:

'Mach is completely spot on with his summing up, nothing from us as an attacking force for 25 minutes and no shot of any description until the dying minutes of the first half. Instead we had to endure a disjointed display lacking in any real intent from Town for much of the half, Bolton looked the more likely throughout the opening period, they won most second balls, had more desire to attack and despite Bart not really having much to after after the opening 15 seconds it was the home team who if anyone was going to score it would be them. For me the whole team was poor and at times disjointed, OK we have a new Cb who only arrived hours ago so some leniency there but a player as ordinary as Gary Madine gave our CB's a tough time throughout the first half, in Midfield Skuse & Connolly failed to get a grip on the game and up front Didsy was appearing to go through the motins, Garner did his best to impersonant Pablo Counago by spending most of the half on the f**king deck rolling around, Waghorn was probably the pick of the strikers but was dropping so deep for the ball, Celina had one or two touches of note but we failed to get him into the game. Most of Boltons best work was coming down our Right side and we were finding it tough to cope with it'.

Even McCarthy (surprisingly) has said that the first half was very poor.

You posted completely different view regarding the first half: 'We haven't threatened the Bolton goal enough but we've been the better side. It's been a midfield slog for most of the half but we've been the side who's got the ball down and tried to play when we can. For a 15-minute spell in the middle we even looked like a good-quality footballing team playing at home'.

Good quality footballing team?????? You are taking a piss. And you claim you watched the game.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 6:11]
Match thoughts on 07:38 - Jan 21 with 3720 viewsBlueAllOver

Match thoughts on 06:07 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

And you claim that found my report so poor. At least this is the genuine report based on what has happened. Yes a few 'bad' comments about McCarthy whom I despise but the actual report is about the facts as ever. I'm not going to lie people (as you do) and tell them that we hadn't been very poor in the first half. In fact only last 8 minutes of the match was good from us.

I also posted this report to the different Ipswich forum. Here below is a portion of the post from the different member who was at the game too:

'Mach is completely spot on with his summing up, nothing from us as an attacking force for 25 minutes and no shot of any description until the dying minutes of the first half. Instead we had to endure a disjointed display lacking in any real intent from Town for much of the half, Bolton looked the more likely throughout the opening period, they won most second balls, had more desire to attack and despite Bart not really having much to after after the opening 15 seconds it was the home team who if anyone was going to score it would be them. For me the whole team was poor and at times disjointed, OK we have a new Cb who only arrived hours ago so some leniency there but a player as ordinary as Gary Madine gave our CB's a tough time throughout the first half, in Midfield Skuse & Connolly failed to get a grip on the game and up front Didsy was appearing to go through the motins, Garner did his best to impersonant Pablo Counago by spending most of the half on the f**king deck rolling around, Waghorn was probably the pick of the strikers but was dropping so deep for the ball, Celina had one or two touches of note but we failed to get him into the game. Most of Boltons best work was coming down our Right side and we were finding it tough to cope with it'.

You posted completely different view regarding the first half: 'We haven't threatened the Bolton goal enough but we've been the better side. It's been a midfield slog for most of the half but we've been the side who's got the ball down and tried to play when we can. For a 15-minute spell in the middle we even looked like a good-quality footballing team playing at home'.

Good quality footballing team?????? You are taking a piss. And you claim you watched the game.

Key line "Yes a few 'bad' comments about McCarthy whom I despise"

All objectivity for any of your comments and report are lost with that line.

I was there yesterday, was it a good performance? Not particularly
Was it awful? Not particularly either.

More a typical championship game where both teams canceled each out for long periods.

Neither keeper was really worked throughout the game.

After a scrappy first half, it was an entertaining second half with periods of decent football from both sides. We created quite a number of chances mostly involving McGoldrick, with a number of wrong options taken up until the equaliser. After that we certainly looked the more likely to go on and get the winner, and but for the post denying Waghorn that would be the case.

So a point away at a much improved Bolton side, hardly the end of the world.

Gleesons 45 minutes was encouraging, played three good forward passes within 5 minutes of introduction. Carter-Vickers also had a good debut, so yet again decent signings on a budget from Mick. Connolly, Knudsen, and Bart also had good games.

Enjoyable day out, worth the 5 1/2 hour round trip, but then I don't look for the negativity in everything Mick does.

COYB!
Match thoughts on 08:09 - Jan 21 with 3696 viewsbluejacko

Keep it up Mach!
Thanks for being there and giving us the proper facts.
Match thoughts on 08:48 - Jan 21 with 3654 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 08:09 - Jan 21 by bluejacko

Keep it up Mach!
Thanks for being there and giving us the proper facts.

Indeed this.

Well done Mach.
Match thoughts on 08:57 - Jan 21 with 3677 viewsfergalsharkey

Match thoughts on 22:15 - Jan 20 by solemio

The repeated use of 'Super Mick' in the first half of your diatribe actually detracts from the points you are trying to make rather than adding to them.

Yes i agree, it somehow weakens the whole prose.

Poll: Cook out?

Match thoughts on 09:09 - Jan 21 with 3671 viewsartsbossbeard

I've done you a favour, Mach.

I've rewritten your Match report and taken out the anti Mick bias:

Bolton 1 - Ipswich 1 (Garner)

Here to help.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 9:39]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Match thoughts on 09:49 - Jan 21 with 3631 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 09:09 - Jan 21 by artsbossbeard

I've done you a favour, Mach.

I've rewritten your Match report and taken out the anti Mick bias:

Bolton 1 - Ipswich 1 (Garner)

Here to help.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 9:39]

A real contrast to Mullet's 10 page gushers.

Which is kind of the point.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 09:54 - Jan 21 with 3624 viewsDarth_Koont

Match thoughts on 06:07 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

We actually kept the ball for that period, passed it on the deck, got Celina on the ball really for the only time in the game and kept Bolton in their own half. We still didn't threaten enough of course but we looked like the home side.

The rest of the time was very much a slog-fest. I've never said anything else about the quality of the game.

In your OTT world, it seems there's no room for context and grey areas. I've noticed you tend to do the same when we win and make out the performance was completely amazing.

Pronouns: He/Him

Match thoughts on 10:00 - Jan 21 with 3607 viewsPJH

Match thoughts on 05:48 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Crikey ! I am being judged by the exceptional superfan who always support the team and attend the games regardless of manager we have in charge, eh?

No, you are being judged by me on the reports that you write-although I admit that I have never managed/bothered to read one all the way through.
If you go to games expecting to see us play like, for instance, Brazil 1970 WC team then you are very likely to be disappointed.
If you go expecting to see us play like a Championship team that sometimes plays better than others then very likely that is what you will see.
It seems to me that you have a template that you use for reports that you just have to make minor adjustments to to explain how we won if we won. all the time being very careful not to say anything positive.
Match thoughts on 10:01 - Jan 21 with 3585 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 09:49 - Jan 21 by Johnny_Boy

A real contrast to Mullet's 10 page gushers.

Which is kind of the point.

Indeed i wonder if they had a pint after the game together?
Match thoughts on 10:13 - Jan 21 with 3594 viewsJohnny_Boy

Match thoughts on 10:01 - Jan 21 by Benters2

Indeed i wonder if they had a pint after the game together?

I didn't watch or listen to the game yesterday, so I'm refraining from waxing lyrical or castigating the draw.
Match thoughts on 11:49 - Jan 21 with 3557 viewsStenvict

Match thoughts on 05:48 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Crikey ! I am being judged by the exceptional superfan who always support the team and attend the games regardless of manager we have in charge, eh?

You hate Mick yet you still go to the games, so you can't really have a dig at others.

Hypocrite.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Match thoughts on 13:13 - Jan 21 with 3519 viewsbluejacko

Match thoughts on 11:49 - Jan 21 by Stenvict

You hate Mick yet you still go to the games, so you can't really have a dig at others.

Hypocrite.

WTF! The bloke is telling you how he sees it. As for still going does that not tell you he is a real fan? I think you will find a great No of us who go don’t like McCarthy but we still turn up.
Match thoughts on 13:33 - Jan 21 with 3501 viewsChocorange

Match thoughts on 05:49 - Jan 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

No thanks although I wouldn't have a problem with finding these specs from certain superfans on here.

What a frustrating game. Bolton were not good despite their good home form and were there to be beaten.

What sums it up for me was the added 3 minutes at the end of the second half

We were woeful in the first half.. better in the second ..but our brightest time was after the equaliser.

We looked the more likely to get a winner ( however unfair that would have been) ..

But 1 min into the added time .. Mick makes an unneeded substitution to waste time. Hyam for connolly.

Then when the final whsitle goes ..Mick punches the air in delight. Garner on the other hand is visibly frustrated at not taking the 3 points.

If we had any thoughts of the play offs this was a game to win..Micks reaction shows its ...another point to avoiding relegation and making sure his c v remains intact for wherever he goes next.

The next few months are going to go very slowly if that the extent of our ambition.

There are too many fans happy with the lack of ambition.. happy with going out of the cups early every season and who accept we wont beat Naarwich with Mick in charge.

There was a guy on radio suffolk when i got back in the car after the match who said what do we expect and we should accept it.

Is that what Burnley Huddersfield Bournemouth did?

Wheres the excitement Mick...its supposed to be about winning games... winnng trophies ... winning big matches.
Match thoughts on 14:34 - Jan 21 with 3480 viewspatrickswell

Match thoughts on 23:52 - Jan 20 by pistonbroke

To be fair , I’d rather take the view of someone actually at the game

This Bolton fan seemed impressed.

Match thoughts on 15:11 - Jan 21 with 3446 viewsPhilTWTD

Match thoughts on 09:54 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

We actually kept the ball for that period, passed it on the deck, got Celina on the ball really for the only time in the game and kept Bolton in their own half. We still didn't threaten enough of course but we looked like the home side.

The rest of the time was very much a slog-fest. I've never said anything else about the quality of the game.

In your OTT world, it seems there's no room for context and grey areas. I've noticed you tend to do the same when we win and make out the performance was completely amazing.

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with that first paragraph, but we were far too sloppy with the ball once we got into the danger areas, hence the lack of chances created. We did keep the ball better than we have in other games in patches in the first half and I thought we went into the game with a positive approach, even if we got ourselves on the back foot initially by starting poorly and almost giving away a goal after 20 seconds. That's not to say it was a particularly good first half, it was largely scrappy and both sides gave the ball away far too easily.
Match thoughts on 15:28 - Jan 21 with 3410 viewsMothersAgainstKids

Match thoughts on 11:49 - Jan 21 by Stenvict

Hypocrite.

All reports are subjective. Are you saying, for example, Darth koont's clueless stab at match reporting is not? Not a squeak from you there - nowt.
Match thoughts on 16:15 - Jan 21 with 3372 viewsDarth_Koont

Match thoughts on 15:28 - Jan 21 by MothersAgainstKids

All reports are subjective. Are you saying, for example, Darth koont's clueless stab at match reporting is not? Not a squeak from you there - nowt.

Bit harsh on Phil considering we seem to see the match pretty similarly.

How did you see it?

Match thoughts on 16:50 - Jan 21 with 3330 viewsbackwaywhen

Match thoughts on 23:59 - Jan 20 by Darth_Koont

To be fair, I watched the game. That's why I found the report so poor.

My son also watched ....and that report is spot on , matched his veiw of the afternoon identically.
Match thoughts on 17:09 - Jan 21 with 3319 viewsDarth_Koont

Match thoughts on 16:50 - Jan 21 by backwaywhen

My son also watched ....and that report is spot on , matched his veiw of the afternoon identically.

Good for him.

Others didn't see it in quite the same dramatic terms.

Match thoughts on 17:28 - Jan 21 with 3290 viewsBenters2

Match thoughts on 13:13 - Jan 21 by bluejacko

WTF! The bloke is telling you how he sees it. As for still going does that not tell you he is a real fan? I think you will find a great No of us who go don’t like McCarthy but we still turn up.

This.
Match thoughts on 20:10 - Jan 21 with 3223 viewsBrixtonBlue

Match thoughts on 09:54 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

I agree with your version Darth. First 20 mins/half hour Celina was pulling the strings and looked really up for it. That seemed to tail off unfortunately.

I don't have a rabid anti-Mick agenda though.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Match thoughts on 20:11 - Jan 21 with 3223 viewsBrixtonBlue

You make some good points, but they're undermined because your anti-Mick petticoat is always showing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024