Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. 12:38 - Jan 21 with 7062 viewsmonytowbray

Had the Hotdog, was very good. I’ve had their take on the Big Mac before when they had a shop in Colechester though and that’s still my favourite on the menu.

I was telling them about the fan zone and said they should contact the club. They’re also going to be doing the Arcade Tavern soon, but for now can be found in town most Saturdays.

Would recommend it to anyone, regardless of diet.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 12:42]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:43 - Jan 21 with 6438 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Personally I don’t mind your vegan posts, and would try this sort of thing if i don’t have to go out of my way to look for it. How much was the hotdog by the way?
I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:46 - Jan 21 with 6407 viewsclive_baker

Go to Biffs jack shack if you’re ever in Stoke newington, I would think it’s up your street. Filthy vegan food, it’s decent. If I could buy shares in jack fruit right now I would.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:50 - Jan 21 with 6413 viewsTLA

Their food certainly looks good and I'd love some better veggie options around the ground on match days.

Their logo looks familiar - they're not our new sponsors, are they?
I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:59 - Jan 21 with 6392 viewsitfcjoe

I saw on FB there is a McVegan coming, but guess that is old news

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:01 - Jan 21 with 6391 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:43 - Jan 21 by FrowsyArmLarry

Personally I don’t mind your vegan posts, and would try this sort of thing if i don’t have to go out of my way to look for it. How much was the hotdog by the way?

It was a fiver, so granted you could pay less for a crappy cheap burger van one outside PR, but think of this more on par with Burger & Beyond as paying for more and getting a better product.

I’ve now sent them the email for who they need to contact about the Fanzone, so assuming they decide to follow it up and take up a pitch, they may be at Portman Road soon.

Anyone familiar with Colchester may remember the Den at 23 which was a vegan cafe that closed down at the end of last year (because the owners decided to close for personal health reasons, business was still booming). The van is ran by the same couple.

They’ve also recently started pitching at Bury market on a Wednesday so they are getting out there a fair bit now!

https://www.instagram.com/tfi_vegan
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 13:03]

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:02 - Jan 21 with 6386 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:59 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

I saw on FB there is a McVegan coming, but guess that is old news

It was trialed in Finland and was so successful they’ve now rolled it out to there and Sweden as a regular menu item. No doubt it will end up here.

Not sure how I feel about it to be fair.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:09 - Jan 21 with 6365 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:01 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

It was a fiver, so granted you could pay less for a crappy cheap burger van one outside PR, but think of this more on par with Burger & Beyond as paying for more and getting a better product.

I’ve now sent them the email for who they need to contact about the Fanzone, so assuming they decide to follow it up and take up a pitch, they may be at Portman Road soon.

Anyone familiar with Colchester may remember the Den at 23 which was a vegan cafe that closed down at the end of last year (because the owners decided to close for personal health reasons, business was still booming). The van is ran by the same couple.

They’ve also recently started pitching at Bury market on a Wednesday so they are getting out there a fair bit now!

A fiver is fine, would be happy to pay that
I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:09 - Jan 21 with 6369 viewsitfcjoe

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:02 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

It was trialed in Finland and was so successful they’ve now rolled it out to there and Sweden as a regular menu item. No doubt it will end up here.

Not sure how I feel about it to be fair.

Sounds silly, but I'm not sure veganism is supposed to be *that* convenient, and it's almost missing the point if a global behemoth can launch a product just to ensure that they can tick another box

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:17 - Jan 21 with 6341 viewsJ2BLUE

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:09 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Sounds silly, but I'm not sure veganism is supposed to be *that* convenient, and it's almost missing the point if a global behemoth can launch a product just to ensure that they can tick another box

The current veggie deluxe is vegan without the sauce as long as you don't count 'may contain traces of milk' as being non vegan. Would be a bit pathetic to do so IMO and Callis agreed it was vegan.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:19 - Jan 21 with 6315 viewsclive_baker

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:01 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

My instinct would be that the fanzone wouldn’t make too much commercial sense at peak Saturday lunchtime vs the alternative of a town centre location. Much higher footfall and target market I would think. It’s estimated that 70% of vegans are female. The only time I went to the fanzone it was a sausage fest, if you’ll pardon the pun. Amongst that sausage, i would question how many are in the market for a £5 pre match veggie burger.

Bury st Edmunds market makes much more sense.

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:21 - Jan 21 with 6317 viewsJ2BLUE

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:19 - Jan 21 by clive_baker

My instinct would be that the fanzone wouldn’t make too much commercial sense at peak Saturday lunchtime vs the alternative of a town centre location. Much higher footfall and target market I would think. It’s estimated that 70% of vegans are female. The only time I went to the fanzone it was a sausage fest, if you’ll pardon the pun. Amongst that sausage, i would question how many are in the market for a £5 pre match veggie burger.

Bury st Edmunds market makes much more sense.

Agree, I thought the same.

Truly impaired.

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:23 - Jan 21 with 6309 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:09 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

I think the idea of making it more accessible is great for those practicing or thinking of converting alike. I feel supermarkets, as a business model made to cater for all walks of life, have more than enough right to cash in on a vegan dollar. Tesco has even employed vegan chefs to do this and launched a great (but a bit pricy) new Wicked Kitchen range which is cool.

Same with non-meat themed restaurants (despite oddly Nandos always historically being well catered for veggie/vegans whilst having chicken at it’s USP).

But McDonalds, personally, is a line that sits uncomfortably for the reasons you mention. I have seen enough initiative from supermarkets to suggest they want to do more to shift people to meat free diets as an environmental responsibility at the very least, but it’s so obvious McDonalds couldn’t care and think shoving this on their offering list will bring back some of the business they’ve lost with the recent trends. Everyone knows all their marketing about animal welfare and meat quality sits dubiously on the edge of what they can get away with saying by law and creative language.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:29 - Jan 21 with 6280 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:17 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

The current veggie deluxe is vegan without the sauce as long as you don't count 'may contain traces of milk' as being non vegan. Would be a bit pathetic to do so IMO and Callis agreed it was vegan.

The “may” basically means it was produced in an environment handling other products but the product itself contains non of these things as an ingredient”.

Basically a legal cover if someone accidently dropped a nut in a bag of crisps and someone with a nut allergy ate it.

I don’t know any vegans who count that as non-vegan personally, but I imagine some do. Unless you are buying from a 100% vegan retailer it’s impossible to avoid though, and even then there’s no guarantee. We’ve already had the discussion that veganism is a path and not a perfect solution and there is no way anyone can be 100% sure no living thing died in the production of the food they eat unless they ate nothing but things they grew themselves.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:35 - Jan 21 with 6270 viewsSuperfrans

As veganism and vegetarian becomes more mainstream though, it inevitably becomes much less a political decision as a personal choice.

Of course, there is the argument that to truly move away from exploiting animals, one might choose not to buy from a supermarket which also stocks battery farmed chickens. But, the more vegan, vegetarian and organic food that is bought from these big supermarkets, they more such foods they are likely to stock.

If ultimately what a vegan/veggie wants to achieve is the least amount of animal exploitation, getting the big stores and restaurants to stock such foods is an end in itself.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:41 - Jan 21 with 6251 viewsRyorry

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:29 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

The “may” basically means it was produced in an environment handling other products but the product itself contains non of these things as an ingredient”.

Basically a legal cover if someone accidently dropped a nut in a bag of crisps and someone with a nut allergy ate it.

I don’t know any vegans who count that as non-vegan personally, but I imagine some do. Unless you are buying from a 100% vegan retailer it’s impossible to avoid though, and even then there’s no guarantee. We’ve already had the discussion that veganism is a path and not a perfect solution and there is no way anyone can be 100% sure no living thing died in the production of the food they eat unless they ate nothing but things they grew themselves.

Before it changed hands, a wholefood & vegetarian (but not vegan) shop I used to regularly buy from would not let me enter if I was carrying wrapped meat in a shopping bag which had been bought elsewhere! I thought that was way OTT, tho I did carry on going there, as I bought in bulk for which they gave me a 10% discount.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:42 - Jan 21 with 6244 viewsJ2BLUE

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:29 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

Agree entirely. I would imagine the big picture vegans would see it as doing way more good than harm to eat something that 'may' contain a 'trace' of milk.

It's a shame it's spiced. A plain version would be better.

Truly impaired.

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:44 - Jan 21 with 6236 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:35 - Jan 21 by Superfrans

As veganism and vegetarian becomes more mainstream though, it inevitably becomes much less a political decision as a personal choice.

Of course, there is the argument that to truly move away from exploiting animals, one might choose not to buy from a supermarket which also stocks battery farmed chickens. But, the more vegan, vegetarian and organic food that is bought from these big supermarkets, they more such foods they are likely to stock.

If ultimately what a vegan/veggie wants to achieve is the least amount of animal exploitation, getting the big stores and restaurants to stock such foods is an end in itself.

Made the same point to SB last week actually. The best way to get these places to take note is to still go but give them the data to suggest their customer base is evolving.

Interestingly, I read a thing this morning with loads of people from the dairy industry having a meeting to discuss what they need to do to stop losing ground on recent “health fads”. Their answers mostly rooted around paying for a propaganda campaign but refused to acknowledge or discuss any of the actual reasons people are shunning dairy (which as I’ve said before dairy production is worse than eating meat for animal welfare IMO). The reality is people are starting to see through decades of dubious comissioned health studies and general knowledge around cow milk - you’d be amazed how many people I’ve spoken to who think cows naturally produce milk all year round without being pregnant.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 6219 viewsSuperfrans

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:44 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

Made the same point to SB last week actually. The best way to get these places to take note is to still go but give them the data to suggest their customer base is evolving.

Interestingly, I read a thing this morning with loads of people from the dairy industry having a meeting to discuss what they need to do to stop losing ground on recent “health fads”. Their answers mostly rooted around paying for a propaganda campaign but refused to acknowledge or discuss any of the actual reasons people are shunning dairy (which as I’ve said before dairy production is worse than eating meat for animal welfare IMO). The reality is people are starting to see through decades of dubious comissioned health studies and general knowledge around cow milk - you’d be amazed how many people I’ve spoken to who think cows naturally produce milk all year round without being pregnant.

I can imagine the dairy industry taking that approach - much easier to commission an ad campaign than fundamentally change their products or production processes.

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 6213 viewsSuperfrans

Btw, where is this van and when does it operate?

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:50 - Jan 21 with 6205 viewsJ2BLUE

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:41 - Jan 21 by Ryorry

Before it changed hands, a wholefood & vegetarian (but not vegan) shop I used to regularly buy from would not let me enter if I was carrying wrapped meat in a shopping bag which had been bought elsewhere! I thought that was way OTT, tho I did carry on going there, as I bought in bulk for which they gave me a 10% discount.

Should bought one of these:

Truly impaired.

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:51 - Jan 21 with 6202 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:48 - Jan 21 by Superfrans

I can imagine the dairy industry taking that approach - much easier to commission an ad campaign than fundamentally change their products or production processes.

TBH they can’t change much - they’d either have to scale back operations and have lower profit margins by not purposely inpreganating cows for milk or switch into the dairy free market which is unlikely.

As the world evolves and times change some jobs and business models die off. It is what it is.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:53 - Jan 21 with 6198 viewsmonytowbray

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:48 - Jan 21 by Superfrans

Btw, where is this van and when does it operate?

Outside Barclays on Saturday 10-2 usually. They are moving pitch in Feb though (their IG account I linked says where to but I forgot.

TWTD never forgets…

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 14:01 - Jan 21 with 6167 viewsRyorry

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 13:50 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

Should bought one of these:

My immaculate fashion sense (jeans + wellies) and footie allegiances (blue anorak mostly, green or black occasionally) means I wouldn't buy that for 5p, let alone wear it!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 14:06 - Jan 21 with 6144 viewsStokieBlue

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 12:46 - Jan 21 by clive_baker

Go to Biffs jack shack if you’re ever in Stoke newington, I would think it’s up your street. Filthy vegan food, it’s decent. If I could buy shares in jack fruit right now I would.

Still never seen this around Stokie, whereabouts is it usually?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 14:11 - Jan 21 with 6124 viewsclive_baker

I tried the TFI Vegan van in town finally yesterday. on 14:06 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

Still never seen this around Stokie, whereabouts is it usually?

SB

It’s a pop up inside Haunt, on the corner of Stoke Newington Road and Amhurst road.

https://biffsjackshack.com/blog

The ‘wings’ thing is clever. Uses sugar cane to replicate a bone, covered in jackfruit.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 14:13]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024