Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match report from yesterday 15:02 - Jan 21 with 1140 viewsSaleAway

First live game of the season for me yesterday. I took one of my united supporting mates, and his son, my Godson, for a view of a different level of football.
Its only a short drive up from South Manchester, but we went up in good time, parked up at the Beehive for a pint and some food. Full of other town fans, all of whom were as bemused as us, when at about 1:30, the barmaid wandered around sticking up posters on the window that said " This is no longer the away supporters pub". Bit late now love...

Anyway, onto the game. Think our lot were still on the bus for the first 15 minutes, almost caught cold straight from the kick off, and we really struggled to contain them in the first 15. It wasn't quality, they were just lumping it up at Madine who was winning everything in the air. We survived though and grew into the game. There was definitely more attempt to play the ball on the floor, but the 4 front men doesn't really work for me, as they didn't seem to be able to find any space, and though we were looking to play the ball from the back, there really seemed to be a missing link in the midfield.

Oh, and a number of our players seemed incapable of making a 10 yard pass. All those that think we should be able to play tippy tappy football, sometimes it absolutely terrifies me - and lumping it up seems the safest option.

Final 3rd of the half degenerated a bit into 2 pretty poor teams cancelling it out - but there was no real threat from Bolton.

2nd half hadn't really settled down when they scored - hard to tell who was at fault as it was down the far end. It really knocked us back for a good 15 minutes or so, and they grew in confidence. They could have had another, but then we settled in and started finally to find some fluency. I think Gleeson helped, once he settled in, seemed to find a pass forward more than in the first half ( not sure if Skuse was hampered after that challege, but he didn't have a good half, ebfore coming off).

The goal was lovely, great passing and movement, nice to see what we can do when we get it right. I thought we'd go on and win from there, and we almost did, but in the end 1-1 was probably a fair result.

Couple of take homes. We don't start well, seems to be a habit from what I read on here, and what I've seen. Perhaps a change in warm up needs to happen - they warm up with lots of tippy tappy one touch - maybe the defenders should warm up by trying to clear a few long balls!!

We looked out-fought for long periods of the game. I don't often say this - but Bolton, despite their lack of quality looked like they wanted it more - and their physical size meant we were bullied a bit. Don't think I've ever really seen a MickMc side have that done to them before.

McGoldrick didn't add much - I think I'd be dropping him if we can get another midfielder fit... he seems incredibly slow, and those smart touches he did make, were recovered because of the lack of pace.

Iorfa - looks like playing football is way too much like hard work, strolled around - didn't seem at all bothered by anything.

Garner really needed to stay on his feet more. Bolton were physical, but he literally collapsed anytime anyone touched him, and it was clear after a couple of these, that he wasn't going to get anything from the ref, so needed to stand up and fight.

I've still never seen us lose at Bolton.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Match report from yesterday on 17:12 - Jan 21 with 978 viewsSaleAway

One nice surprise from yesterday. We weren't wearing the red kit. I was expecting the new sponsors to have insisted on use at all away games when possible.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024