Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon Echo 15:51 - Jan 21 with 8660 viewsBurwell_Blue

Bought one today on a whim and holy god, it is amazing.

Any good skills out there?
Amazon Echo on 15:57 - Jan 21 with 7291 viewsElderGrizzly

Couple of good places to start here

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/alexa-skills-amazon-echo-2946222

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/amazon/1406065/best-alexa-skills-now-you-can-sync

If you have things like Hive heatingand lights, Sonos etc it is excellent for that too. Can now order food from Ocado too
Amazon Echo on 17:09 - Jan 21 with 7095 viewsBurwell_Blue

Amazon Echo on 15:57 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/amazon/1406065/best-alexa-skills-now-you-can-sync

If you have things like Hive heatingand lights, Sonos etc it is excellent for that too. Can now order food from Ocado too

Lovely, ta.
Amazon Echo on 17:12 - Jan 21 with 7087 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Amazon Echo on 17:18 - Jan 21 with 7074 viewshomer_123

Just a heads up on this...you need to think about the fact that these devices record a lot more data than you will ever realise. Be mindful of this.

FYI

Even though the recorded sound data is not saved on the device itself, it is still slightly worrying. If they are enabled and connected to the Internet, it is fair to assume these devices are always listening to what the users say in their home.

These devices respond when they hear certain ‘trigger words’. In case of Amazon Echo, it´s “Alexa”, for Google Home it’s “O.K. Google”. But this is the issue; every word spoken after that trigger word is recorded and transferred to the provider´s data centres and servers. Since the recorded data is then kept ‘forever’ by Amazon, Google or others, it is important to ask what do these major tech companies do with that data.

The reason why these companies are gathering this data is simple; they want to find out information about their customers. In Amazon´s view, everybody is a potential future ‘subscription’ customer for their Prime offering.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Amazon Echo on 19:32 - Jan 21 with 6923 viewsBurwell_Blue

Amazon Echo on 17:18 - Jan 21 by homer_123

Just a heads up on this...you need to think about the fact that these devices record a lot more data than you will ever realise. Be mindful of this.

FYI

Even though the recorded sound data is not saved on the device itself, it is still slightly worrying. If they are enabled and connected to the Internet, it is fair to assume these devices are always listening to what the users say in their home.

These devices respond when they hear certain ‘trigger words’. In case of Amazon Echo, it´s “Alexa”, for Google Home it’s “O.K. Google”. But this is the issue; every word spoken after that trigger word is recorded and transferred to the provider´s data centres and servers. Since the recorded data is then kept ‘forever’ by Amazon, Google or others, it is important to ask what do these major tech companies do with that data.

The reason why these companies are gathering this data is simple; they want to find out information about their customers. In Amazon´s view, everybody is a potential future ‘subscription’ customer for their Prime offering.

I have Prime (who wouldn’t?) and if Amazon want to hear me and the missus bickering for 8hrs a day they are more than welcome.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2018 19:33]
Amazon Echo on 19:40 - Jan 21 with 6903 viewsDeano69

FYI

I wonder who is listening and reviewing all this data?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Amazon Echo on 19:51 - Jan 21 with 6884 viewsBloomBlue

Everything from American is amazing. But be warned these devices can struggle with Suffolk accent try and talk like an American and it will work perfect.
Amazon Echo on 19:53 - Jan 21 with 6879 viewshoppy

Amazon Echo on 19:40 - Jan 21 by Deano69

Mrs Carter from number 33, down the road. Proper busy-body, she is. Always watching out the windows to know what's going on... Bound to be her.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Amazon Echo on 19:56 - Jan 21 with 6859 viewsElderGrizzly

GCHQ & the CIA of course.

Our intelligence services have nothing better to do
Amazon Echo on 20:37 - Jan 21 with 6810 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amazon Echo on 19:56 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

GCHQ & the CIA of course.

Our intelligence services have nothing better to do

Try saying "ISIS" "bomb" and "shopping center" on a regular basis and see if anything unusual happens.

Amazon Echo on 20:45 - Jan 21 with 6793 viewsMJallday

FYI

its interesting, from a GDPR perspective i dont know where they are gonna come off with that.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Amazon Echo on 20:45 - Jan 21 with 6790 viewstrueblues78

Love mine too. Well worth getting a alexa Wi-Fi plug so you can control lights etc. You can get a decent one for £15.

Poll: Would you sell Knudsen?

Amazon Echo on 22:08 - Jan 21 with 6660 viewsGlasgowBlue

This looks like a pretty good addition to the echo family. May get one to go next to the bed

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6114/6114602_sd.j

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J2BK6CO/ref=asc_df_B01J2BK6CO49495965/?tag=googsh

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Amazon Echo on 22:10 - Jan 21 with 6653 viewsElderGrizzly

Amazon Echo on 22:08 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

This looks like a pretty good addition to the echo family. May get one to go next to the bed

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/products/6114/6114602_sd.j

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J2BK6CO/ref=asc_df_B01J2BK6CO49495965/?tag=googsh

Yeah, spotted that last week. Might wait for reviews of real users first. Plus hopefully that woman doesn’t stare at you next to your bed ;)
Amazon Echo on 22:18 - Jan 21 with 6639 viewsStokieBlue

I'm a tech geek but I just don't get it.

What's the difficulty in turning things off and on yourself or having a normal alarm clock, phone or speaker system?

I probably need to see one in action to understand what the point of it is.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Amazon Echo on 22:24 - Jan 21 with 6624 viewsGlasgowBlue

Amazon Echo on 22:18 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

I'm a tech geek but I just don't get it.

What's the difficulty in turning things off and on yourself or having a normal alarm clock, phone or speaker system?

I probably need to see one in action to understand what the point of it is.

SB

I use it mostly for music which connects to sonos all over the house.

So I may be in the kitchen pouring a glass of wine and I say "Alexa! Play The Beatles Revolver in Lounge and kitchen" and it plays on my Lounge Sonos system in those rooms. When I;m in the lounge I can ask Alexa to pause the kitchen whilst it continues to play in the lounge. If I change my mind I can change album just with a voice command. No having to run upstairs to find my phone to control my music. No having to get a CD, take it out of the case and out it on.

Or if I' feeling a little chilly I say "Alexa turn heat up to 24" and it does.

May sound a bit lazy but ever so convenient.

Iron Lion Zion

Amazon Echo on 22:25 - Jan 21 with 6621 viewsJ2BLUE

FYI

I'm pretty sure my iPhone is listening to everything I say anyway. It's definitely reading my texts and trying to identify patterns in my life.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Amazon Echo on 22:27 - Jan 21 with 6616 viewsStokieBlue

Amazon Echo on 22:24 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

So I may be in the kitchen pouring a glass of wine and I say "Alexa! Play The Beatles Revolver in Lounge and kitchen" and it plays on my Lounge Sonos system in those rooms. When I;m in the lounge I can ask Alexa to pause the kitchen whilst it continues to play in the lounge. If I change my mind I can change album just with a voice command. No having to run upstairs to find my phone to control my music. No having to get a CD, take it out of the case and out it on.

It sounds incredibly lazy. It does also sound convenient however you can do all that from your phone as you say. Does anybody really use CD's anymore?

As others have pointed out you are just giving the tech companies another ability which they can abuse (if they so were tempted).

Doesn't mean I won't get one at some stage though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Amazon Echo on 22:33 - Jan 21 with 6608 viewsGlasgowBlue

Amazon Echo on 22:27 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

It sounds incredibly lazy. It does also sound convenient however you can do all that from your phone as you say. Does anybody really use CD's anymore?

As others have pointed out you are just giving the tech companies another ability which they can abuse (if they so were tempted).

Doesn't mean I won't get one at some stage though.

SB

You are right about the phone thing but my Mrs has a sonos Alexa enabled speaker in the kitchen which she uses for listening to the radio. As someone who either leaves her phone in the car or forgets to charge it Alexa is a Godsend.

For me it's just so much quicker to find a song you want to play on demand. Without voice control I'd have to open the sonos ap on my phone, select the room I want to play in, select the music service I want to use and then search for the band, album, song. With Alexa I can say "Alexa play the O'jays For the Love of Money in Lounge". And as I said. I may have left my phone elsewhere in the house.

I accept I am sounding like a zealot.

Iron Lion Zion

Amazon Echo on 22:41 - Jan 21 with 6584 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

For some reason this brought Nero and his fiddle to mind !

Amazon Echo on 22:43 - Jan 21 with 6577 viewsGlasgowBlue

Amazon Echo on 22:41 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

For some reason this brought Nero and his fiddle to mind !

Don't think I have that one in my playlist.

Iron Lion Zion

Amazon Echo on 01:19 - Jan 22 with 6480 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amazon Echo on 20:37 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Try saying "ISIS" "bomb" and "shopping center" on a regular basis and see if anything unusual happens.

I refer the honourable gentleman back to the post about Suffolk accents:

"Oisez baam an' shap'n cenner"

"I'm sorry, Alexa doesn't understand"...
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 1:27]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amazon Echo on 02:06 - Jan 22 with 6439 viewsStNeotsBlue

Did it take a few goes to get it right?

Amazon Echo on 07:08 - Jan 22 with 6337 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Amazon Echo on 02:06 - Jan 22 by StNeotsBlue

Did it take a few goes to get it right?

"Alexa.....call an armblunce"

Amazon Echo on 07:57 - Jan 22 with 6300 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

If you’re signed into Facebook/ messenger, google, and no doubt amazon then they can hear and see you. If you check the terms and conditions they have access to your mic and camera.

It’s all for marketing and probably only scanned by a computer but I still don’t like it or use any of those services
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024