Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sickly colleagues 08:51 - Jan 22 with 21799 viewsGeoffSentence

The ones who pick up every little sniffle going and they always retire to bed as it is inevitably accompanied by a high temperature. How do you feel towards them? Sympathetic? Those poor bloggers don't half suffer. Or do you get annoyed that you end up doing their work for them?

I've been in The work force for sometime now and have found that my reserves of sympathy ha e been drained dry as the years grind by.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 09:24 - Jan 22 with 9546 views_

Sickly colleagues on 09:25 - Jan 22 with 9533 viewsMuncher

I have no problem with them, but what really winds me up is people who "battle on" and come in and spread their illnesses to everyone else. Please stay at home.
Sickly colleagues on 09:27 - Jan 22 with 9526 viewsSaleAway

I'd rather people stayed off than those people who come dripping nose, sneezing into the office and spread their germs around to other people. Fortunately, our place is quite flexible, so a lot of people will work from home if they are "on the cusp" , rather than risk infecting the whole team.

I've had about 3 days of sick in 19 years of work, so I'm lucky in that I don't tend to get too much - but my wife does cop for a lot more. Some people just have different constitutions, no point getting irate about it.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Sickly colleagues on 09:27 - Jan 22 with 9518 viewsGeoffSentence

on 09:24 - Jan 22 by _

Ha. Touché.

Are you one of the sickly fok?

Sickly colleagues on 09:33 - Jan 22 with 9501 viewsNazemariner

As a employer i find it very annoying.

Get some Lemsip down your neck and get on with your bloody job.

Unfortunately you can't do a lot about the "woe is me" types. You just have to look for the positives.
Sickly colleagues on 09:33 - Jan 22 with 9501 viewsTIB

Some of my colleagues have just had their Monday meeting and yearly reviews were discussed...four of them will have a limited performance rating as they have triggered their sickness...means they get no bonus or potential pay rise. You can only have two bouts of sickness, third one triggers...a little harsh when working in a hospital as there is always stuff going around.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Sickly colleagues on 11:32 - Jan 22 with 9393 viewsBlueBadger

They're far better than the bloody martyrs who insist on coming in, spreading their germs to all and sundry and creating more problems than they solve in the process.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sickly colleagues on 11:41 - Jan 22 with 9373 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sickly colleagues on 09:33 - Jan 22 by Nazemariner

Unfortunately you can't do a lot about the "woe is me" types. You just have to look for the positives.

Glad you're not my employer.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Sickly colleagues on 12:02 - Jan 22 with 9352 viewsBlueBadger

Sickly colleagues on 09:33 - Jan 22 by TIB

Some of my colleagues have just had their Monday meeting and yearly reviews were discussed...four of them will have a limited performance rating as they have triggered their sickness...means they get no bonus or potential pay rise. You can only have two bouts of sickness, third one triggers...a little harsh when working in a hospital as there is always stuff going around.

I had to have one last year after two longer-than-a-cpuple-of-days episodes of sickness following a road accident and a dental access the size of a golf ball in 2015/16. At my sickness meeting I was was asked 'how do you plan to improve your record' which was answered 'by not having any more road accidents or dental accesses'.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 12:02]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Sickly colleagues on 12:04 - Jan 22 with 9343 viewsBlueBadger

Sickly colleagues on 09:33 - Jan 22 by Nazemariner

You'd think, as a employer, you'd rather not have people coming in, spreading their germs and causing more sickness rather than this.

Sickly colleagues on 12:10 - Jan 22 with 9314 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Sickly colleagues on 09:25 - Jan 22 by Muncher

I have no problem with them, but what really winds me up is people who "battle on" and come in and spread their illnesses to everyone else. Please stay at home.

Yes! The amount of times I've become ill in the last 12 months in particular, from sitting near someone who clearly should be quarantined. I find it extremely selfish that people think they are so important that they should be there affecting other people's health.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Sickly colleagues on 12:15 - Jan 22 with 9299 viewsJ2BLUE

As we mostly only have one in at a time where I work calling in sick is pretty much not allowed. I think i've had two days off in 3-4 years and that was when I just wouldn't have been able to do the job.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sickly colleagues on 12:23 - Jan 22 with 9261 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Sickly colleagues on 12:15 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

As we mostly only have one in at a time where I work calling in sick is pretty much not allowed. I think i've had two days off in 3-4 years and that was when I just wouldn't have been able to do the job.

'Calling in sick is pretty much not allowed'...

If they can't staff themselves properly then that's their problem, not yours. Is the company you work for more important than your own health?

Oh and are you sure they're even allowed to have only one person in? What would happen if you fell ill and there was no one else around?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 12:25]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Sickly colleagues on 12:30 - Jan 22 with 9215 viewsfactual_blue

Doesn't your company have a robust but fair attendance management policy? Eight days sickness absence in a rolling twelve month period would trigger a disciplinary discussion, an action plan to improve attendance and possibly a first warning.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sickly colleagues on 12:32 - Jan 22 with 9198 viewsGeoffSentence

Sickly colleagues on 12:30 - Jan 22 by factual_blue

Doesn't your company have a robust but fair attendance management policy? Eight days sickness absence in a rolling twelve month period would trigger a disciplinary discussion, an action plan to improve attendance and possibly a first warning.

I think the company does, but our management is a bit hands off on this sort of thing. Most of these half days and days off sick aren't even recorded as such. I must take advantage of this laxness.

Sickly colleagues on 12:37 - Jan 22 with 9173 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 12:23 - Jan 22 by ThisIsMyUsername

If they can't staff themselves properly then that's their problem, not yours. Is the company you work for more important than your own health?

Oh and are you sure they're even allowed to have only one person in? What would happen if you fell ill and there was no one else around?

They run on skeleton staff. As soon as anyone goes ill or has holiday they expect the rest of us to cover so it's kind of forced on us that if we take a day off someone else pays for it. I hate it whenever anyone is on holiday. I'm already full time and have to make up excuses why I can't do more hours. "I absolutely fecking hate this job" isn't an acceptable excuse apparently.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 12:45 - Jan 22 with 9129 viewsCotty

Honestly I'm more annoyed by people who are clearly ill, and decide to come in anyway. I wonder how many fewer sick days there would be if everyone who was ill actually stayed away?
Sickly colleagues on 12:46 - Jan 22 with 9119 viewsCotty

Sickly colleagues on 12:37 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

They run on skeleton staff. As soon as anyone goes ill or has holiday they expect the rest of us to cover so it's kind of forced on us that if we take a day off someone else pays for it. I hate it whenever anyone is on holiday. I'm already full time and have to make up excuses why I can't do more hours. "I absolutely fecking hate this job" isn't an acceptable excuse apparently.

No luck on searching for something new yet then?
Sickly colleagues on 12:56 - Jan 22 with 9046 viewsm14_blue

Lone working isn't illegal.

If it was then thousands of smaller operations would shut down overnight.

Agree on your wider point though.
Sickly colleagues on 14:15 - Jan 22 with 8921 viewsBLUEBEAT

My (remote) manager is always off ill.

Not just one or two days here and there but long periods too.

Had ‘flu 10 days before Xmas and hasn’t been back since with ‘related issues’.

Had 2 months off last year too due to a family bereavement.

I’m quite happy about it as I get left alone all week. I speak to someone at head office on Monday and again on Friday. As long as the works get done, they’re not interested in anything else. I worked 25 hours last week.

Poll: W or W

Keep looking buh (n/t) on 14:18 - Jan 22 with 8911 viewsDyland

Sickly colleagues on 12:37 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Indeed on 14:23 - Jan 22 with 8904 viewsDyland

Unless it's your own company or you have part ownership, always follow the maxim that you should not get ill for the company's sake, because the company would never do the corporate equivalent for you.

Or something like that.

Sickly colleagues on 14:27 - Jan 22 with 8898 viewsJ2BLUE

Sickly colleagues on 12:46 - Jan 22 by Cotty

No luck on searching for something new yet then?

Got an interview on Feb 2nd for a job i'm not crazy about but had a bit of a moment earlier where I thought nothing about my life is working at the moment and I need to take some chances so i'll go for it. Also applied for another job where I didn't get an interview but they've replied asking if i'd be interested in another one that I would love. Might be an automated thing so not getting too excited but I will apply.

Thanks for asking.

Truly impaired.

Sickly colleagues on 14:29 - Jan 22 with 8893 viewsJ2BLUE

What really annoys me more than sickness is when people with kids can't come to work because they can't get childcare. Then I need to cover their shift...

I like most of my colleagues but that really annoys me. Not my problem.

Truly impaired.

Keep that attitude on 14:32 - Jan 22 with 8883 viewsDyland

Sickly colleagues on 14:27 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Got an interview on Feb 2nd for a job i'm not crazy about but had a bit of a moment earlier where I thought nothing about my life is working at the moment and I need to take some chances so i'll go for it. Also applied for another job where I didn't get an interview but they've replied asking if i'd be interested in another one that I would love. Might be an automated thing so not getting too excited but I will apply.

Thanks for asking.

A change is as good as anything. You can leave if it's utter sh1te.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024