Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Percentage of current MPs privately educated 13:20 - Jan 22 with 9355 viewsunbelievablue

What do people think the number is? The conversation popped up today at work and the guesses varied dramatically. If anyone has the numbers, save it for a bit, because I'm intrigued as to what people think.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 with 6482 viewshampstead_blue

What is the reason behind the question?

If I had a choice of someone who had a world class education running my business over someone who didn't then I would go for the former.

Is it a question of who is the best person rather than which school they attended?
Also, children don't have a choice, well most don't, which school they attend.

My nephews had a choice.....Eton or St Pauls, I kid you not. One went to Eton the other St Pauls. Not their fault.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 with 6479 viewsJ2BLUE

A guess: 75%

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:25 - Jan 22 with 6475 viewsunbelievablue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 by hampstead_blue

If I had a choice of someone who had a world class education running my business over someone who didn't then I would go for the former.

Is it a question of who is the best person rather than which school they attended?

My nephews had a choice.....Eton or St Pauls, I kid you not. One went to Eton the other St Pauls. Not their fault.

It arose today in a conversation at work so I wondered what people would guess.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:27 - Jan 22 with 6452 viewsitfcjoe

It's a lot lower than I'd expect where it feels like it is about 90% but is probably less than 50%

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:28 - Jan 22 with 6441 viewsWD19

40% I would guess. Perhaps a bit less these days with all the SNP folk.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:28 - Jan 22 with 6442 viewsusm

90% or somewhere around there, hopefully

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:29 - Jan 22 with 6437 viewsStokieBlue

JC went to private school and still only managed 2 E's for his A-Levels so I would suggest the more important metric is the skill/effectiveness of the person rather than where they were educated.

Interestingly I've just seen he did 2 years as a Geography teacher in Jamaica - how is that possible with 2 E's at A-Level?

To answer your question though, probably around 60%. I suspect a few years back it could have been quite a bit higher.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:32 - Jan 22 with 6404 viewshampstead_blue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:29 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

JC went to private school and still only managed 2 E's for his A-Levels so I would suggest the more important metric is the skill/effectiveness of the person rather than where they were educated.

Interestingly I've just seen he did 2 years as a Geography teacher in Jamaica - how is that possible with 2 E's at A-Level?

To answer your question though, probably around 60%. I suspect a few years back it could have been quite a bit higher.

SB

two E's and then taught in Jamaica....

Says it all about him.

The answer to the OP is as you state, a lot lower than before.

Like the Army when I was in, Officers are less Ruperts these days.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:33 - Jan 22 with 6388 viewsSaleAway

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 by hampstead_blue

But that is making the assumption that the education is the primary differentiator of 2 identical candidates, but its not. The point here is that pretty much the way into politics nowadays, is to be privately educated, and from a rich enough family that you can afford to take unpaid internships within political parties, and working your way up through the ranks.

The problem with this of course, is that you end up with a glut of MPs who all have very similar world views, having all been brought up the same way, often with a world class theoretical education, and no real experience of what life is like in modern britain for 80% of the population.

If you're going back to choices, if I had the choice of a comprehensively educated individual with a successful "proper" career behind them, versus a privately educated westminster created robot, then I know which one I'd go for.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:41 - Jan 22 with 6333 viewsGlasgowBlue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:24 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

A guess: 75%

Far lower. I'd say between the late twenties to early thirties in percentage terms.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:43 - Jan 22 with 6334 viewsStokieBlue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:41 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

Far lower. I'd say between the late twenties to early thirties in percentage terms.

Good guess:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32692789

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:48 - Jan 22 with 6305 viewsBlueBadger

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:43 - Jan 22 by StokieBlue

Good guess:

SB

Congrats on officially being quicker on the Google than me.
I was just looking this one up as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:48 - Jan 22 with 6309 viewslowhouseblue

Good guess:

SB

so it's approximately the same as the proportion of oxbridge students who went to private school, which in turn is the same as the proportion of A level students who got A*AA or above who went to private school. there's a pattern.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:51 - Jan 22 with 6299 viewsBOjK

I know now that this is correct, but I was going to post something similar. Honestly.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:52 - Jan 22 with 6297 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good guess:

SB

I wonder how much that changed at the last election with the SNP losing seats. They seem to have the thickest*, sorry I mean they seem to have the lowest percentage of privately educated MP's.

*Joke- before the offended get offended.

Iron Lion Zion

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:55 - Jan 22 with 6266 viewsBlueBadger

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:52 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

I wonder how much that changed at the last election with the SNP losing seats. They seem to have the thickest*, sorry I mean they seem to have the lowest percentage of privately educated MP's.

*Joke- before the offended get offended.

Slightly lower, according to this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-mps-more-than-half-c

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:00 - Jan 22 with 6226 viewschicoazul

The British class system is such a fascinating thing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:03 - Jan 22 with 6216 viewsGlasgowBlue

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:55 - Jan 22 by BlueBadger

Slightly lower, according to this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-mps-more-than-half-c

I wonder if this correlates with the poor standard of our current crop of honourable members ?

Iron Lion Zion

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:04 - Jan 22 with 6210 viewscrunchie1978

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:33 - Jan 22 by SaleAway

But that is making the assumption that the education is the primary differentiator of 2 identical candidates, but its not. The point here is that pretty much the way into politics nowadays, is to be privately educated, and from a rich enough family that you can afford to take unpaid internships within political parties, and working your way up through the ranks.

The problem with this of course, is that you end up with a glut of MPs who all have very similar world views, having all been brought up the same way, often with a world class theoretical education, and no real experience of what life is like in modern britain for 80% of the population.

If you're going back to choices, if I had the choice of a comprehensively educated individual with a successful "proper" career behind them, versus a privately educated westminster created robot, then I know which one I'd go for.

Nowadays it's more a case of what race or gender you are as opposed to how you were educated.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:06 - Jan 22 with 6205 viewsimsureazzure

Slightly off topic but, I listen to a great deal of desert island discs podcasts, most interviewees are from a public school/private education background what ever their career.

It seems that public school education offers a lot more than just academic success.
Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:16 - Jan 22 with 6174 viewsBlueBadger

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:03 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

I wonder if this correlates with the poor standard of our current crop of honourable members ?

Interestingly enough, 45% of Conservative MP's are currently of a privately educated background...

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:19 - Jan 22 with 6165 viewshomer_123

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:06 - Jan 22 by imsureazzure

Slightly off topic but, I listen to a great deal of desert island discs podcasts, most interviewees are from a public school/private education background what ever their career.

It seems that public school education offers a lot more than just academic success.

It's who you know, not what you know.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:25 - Jan 22 with 6155 viewsSaleAway

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:04 - Jan 22 by crunchie1978

Nowadays it's more a case of what race or gender you are as opposed to how you were educated.

its about 2:1 male to female representation for MPs and about 8% ethnic minority, so I don't think that's very true

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:30 - Jan 22 with 6138 viewsJ2BLUE

After replying I remember reading about the Tories trying to shake that image so would have gone lower. I'd still have been way out though as I would have said 60ish percent.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 14:34 - Jan 22 with 6128 viewspowinswitch

Percentage of current MPs privately educated on 13:32 - Jan 22 by hampstead_blue

two E's and then taught in Jamaica....

Says it all about him.

The answer to the OP is as you state, a lot lower than before.

Like the Army when I was in, Officers are less Ruperts these days.

Re the Army. Joined in 81 and left 5 years ago. Substantial change in the officer class, which seemed to probably be already in place. The direct entry officers that have been going through since the early 90s certainly, can come from any background. Just as long as they are identified as possessing the leadership qualities then they will be in with a good shout. There are plenty of public school educated officers as well, but the majority are good. The few privileged ‘Ruperts’ stick out like a sore thumb.

The more major issue with today’s army is recruiting the working class council estate lads. You are probably aware we have significant recruiting problems, and I cannnot remember a fully manned Regiment. Not since Options for Change, notwithstanding robbing other units when deploying on ops. And we now have a large contingent of foreign and commonwealth guys trying to plug the gap. The opportunities when I joined, meant that this free school diner boy with a widowed mum and no suit for church parade (doubt that happens now), actually made something of himself. Great memories, great life lasting comradeship, and just like with the football, those were the days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024