Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. 17:34 - Jan 22 with 6936 viewsTheBlueBarca

Tommy Smith leaving has really made it sunk in for me, it looks like Mick McCarthy will be off in the summer along with the likes of Skuse, Bart, Hyam, Didz and co. most likely- we've already seen Berra and Murphy depart so a fair chunk of Mick's stalwarts have either left or are likely to go.

For all their failings these guys and Mick have been our most successful collective since Jim left nearly ten years ago and our most competitive since Joe Royle's side.

Will the new manager and his team doing any better than Mick with his "faves", the likes of Gerks, Bart, Smith, Berra, Knudsen, Ando, Skusey, Sears, Didz, Murphy, Tabb, Hyam and Bishop? Who know's. I just hope we don't look back and wonder if not backing Mick financially was Evan's biggest mistake.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:38 - Jan 22 with 5934 viewsportmanking

I think we all know full well that not backing MM in January 2015 was Evans' biggest mistake, no?
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:40 - Jan 22 with 5912 viewsBenters2

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:38 - Jan 22 by portmanking

I think we all know full well that not backing MM in January 2015 was Evans' biggest mistake, no?

This
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:49 - Jan 22 with 5880 viewsTheBlueBarca

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:38 - Jan 22 by portmanking

I agree, imagine f we had signed a few more players then instead of just Sears we'd have been a shoe in to go up that season, or the season after. Instead we sold Mings, brought in Dougie and the rest is history.

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:53 - Jan 22 with 5858 viewsjas0999

Indeed. Disasterous decision which ultimately cost us.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:56 - Jan 22 with 5859 viewsIllinoisblue

I know this theme has entered into ITFC folklore as a really big deciding moment, but does anyone recall who - if anybody - we were linked with in that window, or if Mick made public his desire to sign player/s, or if Evans publicly said "no, what we've got is good enough"?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:59 - Jan 22 with 5838 viewsFtnfwest

That was just at the point where mick said he couldn’t get any better elsewhere than what he’d already got (I always took that to mean ‘within reason’ btw)
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:00 - Jan 22 with 5837 viewsTheBlueBarca

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:56 - Jan 22 by Illinoisblue

I know this theme has entered into ITFC folklore as a really big deciding moment, but does anyone recall who - if anybody - we were linked with in that window, or if Mick made public his desire to sign player/s, or if Evans publicly said "no, what we've got is good enough"?

I can remember the whole money to spend rhetoric existing even then, we signed Sears but I remember the likes of Moncur being linked with a few others. None of us know what was discussed but surely from a planning perspective we should have jumped on that window knowing it could have been our only shot?

The difference between us and Huddersfield in 2000 is we signed their best player and Rueser and their board decided to do nothing, and the end result was nearly 20 years in the football wilderness for them. I'd say that could be likened to what we did in 2015.

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:21 - Jan 22 with 5783 viewsNo9

This is when the writing was on the wall for Tommy as a Town player.
Pity but that is the nature of the game
http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/tommy-smith-shocked-after-being-dropped-by-ipswich-t

I wish him well & thank him for his efforts for us the supporters
Login to get fewer ads

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 19:36 - Jan 22 with 5655 viewsIllinoisblue

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:00 - Jan 22 by TheBlueBarca

I can remember the whole money to spend rhetoric existing even then, we signed Sears but I remember the likes of Moncur being linked with a few others. None of us know what was discussed but surely from a planning perspective we should have jumped on that window knowing it could have been our only shot?

The difference between us and Huddersfield in 2000 is we signed their best player and Rueser and their board decided to do nothing, and the end result was nearly 20 years in the football wilderness for them. I'd say that could be likened to what we did in 2015.

good point about Huddersfield selling us Stewart becasue you're right, they were a contender along with us that year. Can only assume they were skint and needed the money. And think about that; 18 years ago we were spending money - 2.5m - that Mick wouldn't even dream to dare of spending now. Bonkers.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:03 - Jan 22 with 5620 viewsMullet

There's no wonder about it. He's Evans' greatest manager to the nth degree. He's been slated, pilloried and sneered at for months now and people are waving him off with glee already with all the self-awareness you'd expect.

We're more likely to go down once Mick leaves than anything else without a huge change from Evans, or a change in owner.

It's so frustrating fans keeping trying to stab at Mick and his players whilst pretending to be such martyrs. "Oh woe is me having to support Ipswich, look how hard it is for me" is the most pathetic trope of posts lately, I can only assume all their tears are stopping them going up in smoke.

The faux outrage at every little thing whilst Evans allows the place to wither and die from behind the scenes is baffling. People want investment but don't want to go, we're stuck sinking. The real question is how long, and how quickly will that last.

Whoever we get in will have to do an amazing job to not only improve us, but maintain it. Let alone over a period longer than average memory on social media. I just don't see where we get that bloke from without giving him money that hasn't been seen for years. All the while the game has gotten more expensive season after season.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 05:53 - Jan 23 with 5351 viewsBenters2

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:03 - Jan 22 by Mullet

There's no wonder about it. He's Evans' greatest manager to the nth degree. He's been slated, pilloried and sneered at for months now and people are waving him off with glee already with all the self-awareness you'd expect.

We're more likely to go down once Mick leaves than anything else without a huge change from Evans, or a change in owner.

It's so frustrating fans keeping trying to stab at Mick and his players whilst pretending to be such martyrs. "Oh woe is me having to support Ipswich, look how hard it is for me" is the most pathetic trope of posts lately, I can only assume all their tears are stopping them going up in smoke.

The faux outrage at every little thing whilst Evans allows the place to wither and die from behind the scenes is baffling. People want investment but don't want to go, we're stuck sinking. The real question is how long, and how quickly will that last.

Whoever we get in will have to do an amazing job to not only improve us, but maintain it. Let alone over a period longer than average memory on social media. I just don't see where we get that bloke from without giving him money that hasn't been seen for years. All the while the game has gotten more expensive season after season.

Mick goes town go down another one who fears change!
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:31 - Jan 23 with 5324 viewsnoggin

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 05:53 - Jan 23 by Benters2

Who cares, quite frankly. With or without Mick, the club has no future, unless Evans invests significantly or sells to someone who will. Let Evans scrape in as much as he can from assets and hopefully he'll write off the rest of the debt and fack off. Unlikely I know but it's our only hope now.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 6:37]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:33 - Jan 23 with 5318 viewsBenters2

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:31 - Jan 23 by noggin

Who cares, quite frankly. With or without Mick, the club has no future, unless Evans invests significantly or sells to someone who will. Let Evans scrape in as much as he can from assets and hopefully he'll write off the rest of the debt and fack off. Unlikely I know but it's our only hope now.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 6:37]

Who cares i do!
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:35 - Jan 23 with 5314 viewsnoggin

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:33 - Jan 23 by Benters2

Who cares i do!

It'll eat you up and end in disappointment buh. Buy yourself a new bike instead of expensive days at library Portman Rd.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:39 - Jan 23 with 5305 viewsBenters2

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 06:35 - Jan 23 by noggin

It'll eat you up and end in disappointment buh. Buy yourself a new bike instead of expensive days at library Portman Rd.

Ha !
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 07:21 - Jan 23 with 5261 viewsITFC_Forever

Our best collective for 10 years since Jim left?

Hardly difficult, when the only other two eras to compare against are the Keane and Jewell years.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:30 - Jan 23 with 5100 viewsCurrie10

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:53 - Jan 22 by jas0999

Indeed. Disasterous decision which ultimately cost us.

Antony Knockaert's late season loan rejection was a right kick in the teeth too. God he would have been fantastic for us.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:30 - Jan 23 with 5060 viewsPhilTWTD

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:56 - Jan 22 by Illinoisblue

Indeed, does seem to be something which has developed over the last couple of years. In addition to Sears, Billy Sharp turned down a loan move here. There wasn't quite the pressure to add to the squad before the end of January at that point as emergency loans were still available.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:36 - Jan 23 with 5049 viewsPhilTWTD

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 19:36 - Jan 22 by Illinoisblue

good point about Huddersfield selling us Stewart becasue you're right, they were a contender along with us that year. Can only assume they were skint and needed the money. And think about that; 18 years ago we were spending money - 2.5m - that Mick wouldn't even dream to dare of spending now. Bonkers.

That was the Dyer money, also paid for Reuser's loan later on in the season. Was a different division then, the club wasn't making an operating loss every year so fees achieved ended up as fees paid out. Dyer's fee paid for John McGreal, Jermaine Wright and Gary Croft.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:42 - Jan 23 with 5032 viewsPhilTWTD

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:30 - Jan 23 by Currie10

Antony Knockaert's late season loan rejection was a right kick in the teeth too. God he would have been fantastic for us.

I'd forgotten about that. From what I remember they thought the deal was done. Knockaert went back to France for a couple of days - think after a bereavement or as a relative was ill, something along those lines - and changed his mind. Didn't want to be seen as a Championship player when he was looking for a new club that summer.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 19:44 - Jan 23 with 4960 viewsMullet

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 05:53 - Jan 23 by Benters2

Any Ipswich fan would if they'd been paying attention.

Coming from you though, that comment is especially rich.

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 19:58 - Jan 23 with 4941 viewsPlums

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:03 - Jan 22 by Mullet

All of the above is reasonable enough and some of the anti Mick stuff is beyond contempt, particularly the personal nature of it. However, this analysis is based on Mick having got the best out of the players at his disposal which I simply can’t accept. They have been constrained by conservative tactics for far too long and that’s cost us any chance of momentum. It’s time for a change and to raise our risk appetite.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:12 - Jan 23 with 4917 viewsMullet

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 19:58 - Jan 23 by Plums

All of the above is reasonable enough and some of the anti Mick stuff is beyond contempt, particularly the personal nature of it. However, this analysis is based on Mick having got the best out of the players at his disposal which I simply can’t accept. They have been constrained by conservative tactics for far too long and that’s cost us any chance of momentum. It’s time for a change and to raise our risk appetite.

Given the amount of players he's improved over the years, you're going to have to walk me through that. Let alone the progress in terms of overall league position, squad unity in spite of the adversity etc. All whilst changing the tactics e.g 442 to 4231 this season

Waghorn for example has been constrained let alone previous key players?

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:27 - Jan 23 with 4890 viewsolimar

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 18:30 - Jan 23 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, does seem to be something which has developed over the last couple of years. In addition to Sears, Billy Sharp turned down a loan move here. There wasn't quite the pressure to add to the squad before the end of January at that point as emergency loans were still available.

Ah but that plays a part, surely. Whether Mick felt that he had enough, or that the money he was being offered meant he couldnt bring in anybody better, our form drifted a little bit and fatigue at having to play the same players relentlessly (or getting injured) surely played a part.
We added Fryers, Varney, Wood, Chaplow on loan and its arguable that we might have been in a stronger position if we had better players around the squad who could step in without a drop in quality.
I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 20:32 - Jan 23 with 4868 viewsolimar

I can't help but think this is a real end of an era here.. on 17:59 - Jan 22 by Ftnfwest

That was just at the point where mick said he couldn’t get any better elsewhere than what he’d already got (I always took that to mean ‘within reason’ btw)

Yeah and the "within reason" possibly/probably meant "within budget". As per my post further down on this thread, Sears aside, all the players we signed from January onwards were very much squad players. They had a good impact on the squad and played a part (Chaplow at Watford), but they were rarely used to start games or allow us to rest the better players.
Also, its worth remembering that we lost McG to injury effectively in the middle of January- Sears made a great impact, but he was effectively giving us an alternative without McG.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024