Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... 21:09 - Jan 22 with 5590 viewsCurrie10

Sentiment aside, I have to say - and shoot away by all means - I appear to be in the minority of being quite pleased that he'll never wear the blue shirt again.

He was horrific when bursting on the scene. Dreadful. However, fair play to the lad he improved massively under Mick and became a very capable champ CB.

I just couldn't get past him allowing the ball to bounce and decision making... two examples-

Cardiff away this season - first game back, sure, however he allowed the ball to bounce then they spooned it wide.

The other abiding memory I have is Brentford away 15/16. 2-0 up, ZERO chance of losing the game, them breaking - WIPE THE MAN OUT for heavens sake. Take the red if you have to, could have been a yellow but DO NOT allow THIS to happen -

I get that he was a MASSIVE aerial threat at the other end, scored some vital goals.

Anyway, good luck in the future and do well in the US of A.
on 21:10 - Jan 22 with 5552 views_

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:16 - Jan 22 with 5531 viewsScottCandage

You must be fun at parties.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:35 - Jan 22 with 5493 viewsSuperblue95

Bit harsh. I too remember that Brentford game,the Peterborough away too when he was sent off seconds after coming on and yes he had a horrible habit of letting the ball bounce which would infuriate the hell out of us all.

However he played with his heart on his sleeve and although he wasn't a fantastic player he gave us all some fantastic memories and was one of the main reasons we didn't go down in micks first year. Not to mention the fact he was a goal machine for a defender.

In a gloomy past decade he was a rare ray of light and can hold his head high unlike several others who have been and gone since his debut. All the best Tommy and thank you

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:50 - Jan 22 with 5450 viewsCurrie10

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:16 - Jan 22 by ScottCandage

You must be fun at parties.

Oh I forgot a single comment on a forum defines how you live life.

For what it's worth, I was amazed at how well he developed and did very well to become a first team regular.

Very decent at times sure, good luck in the future.

However, he let the ball bounce far too often for my liking.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:52 - Jan 22 with 5443 viewsCurrie10

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:35 - Jan 22 by Superblue95

Bit harsh. I too remember that Brentford game,the Peterborough away too when he was sent off seconds after coming on and yes he had a horrible habit of letting the ball bounce which would infuriate the hell out of us all.

However he played with his heart on his sleeve and although he wasn't a fantastic player he gave us all some fantastic memories and was one of the main reasons we didn't go down in micks first year. Not to mention the fact he was a goal machine for a defender.

In a gloomy past decade he was a rare ray of light and can hold his head high unlike several others who have been and gone since his debut. All the best Tommy and thank you

Very unfortunate re his red at Peterborough, it was clearly outside the box!

It's just the allowance to let the ruddy thing bounce!? It's the first thing you sort out at a very young age.

No question re passion / heart on sleeve / fantastic aerial threat from set pieces.

Very rare in this day and age a player to be at a club as long as he has been.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:04 - Jan 22 with 5422 viewsPhilTWTD

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 21:52 - Jan 22 by Currie10

Very unfortunate re his red at Peterborough, it was clearly outside the box!

It's just the allowance to let the ruddy thing bounce!? It's the first thing you sort out at a very young age.

No question re passion / heart on sleeve / fantastic aerial threat from set pieces.

Very rare in this day and age a player to be at a club as long as he has been.

Not sure either of the chances/goals you posted were his fault. The first is a mix-up with the other defender appearing the one who ought to have cleared having appeared to shout judging by the reaction and the other the striker got behind Chambo and Smith was the covering defender. But harsh to have a pop for him not getting himself sent off! Was 2-0 at the time so we should have seen it out in any case.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:09 - Jan 22 with 5394 viewsCurrie10

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:04 - Jan 22 by PhilTWTD

Not sure either of the chances/goals you posted were his fault. The first is a mix-up with the other defender appearing the one who ought to have cleared having appeared to shout judging by the reaction and the other the striker got behind Chambo and Smith was the covering defender. But harsh to have a pop for him not getting himself sent off! Was 2-0 at the time so we should have seen it out in any case.

The Cardiff one is absolutely his fault. Even had the cheek to mouth off to Chambers after - the ball bounced about 1 metre from him - for goodness sake, deal with it.

The other, clearly other things going on and you're right - we SHOULD have been okay. I don't like a red card, but if you have to take one for the team.... take it. Brentford would have had a free kick, not a goal.......

I don't hate Tommy by any stretch that is just my take on both incidents! We all see the game differently. To me, for the majority of 14/15 - with Berra alongside.... who we STILL haven't replaced, that was the best Tommy played and they were a fantastic partnership that particular season.

Phil, will his wages be COMPLETELY off the bill, or will the US side be being subsidised by us a little bit until the expiry of his contract is what I'd like to know!
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:17 - Jan 22 with 5356 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He was far from the best defender we have ever had. However, I will always remember his role in the meanest defence in the World Cup playing in a back 3/back 5 which I think suited him best and that goal against nodge in the play-off semi. For one moment he made me believe we could even manage it with 10 men - stupid thought I know.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:23 - Jan 22 with 5342 viewsStNeotsBlue

I always thought Tommy was a better footballer than he was given credit for, had a goal him too which is a very handy attribute in a centre half. Some lovely stuff from him in the build up to Andre's debut goal, about the 4 min 50 sec mark.

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:26 - Jan 22 with 5329 viewsPhilTWTD

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:09 - Jan 22 by Currie10

The Cardiff one is absolutely his fault. Even had the cheek to mouth off to Chambers after - the ball bounced about 1 metre from him - for goodness sake, deal with it.

The other, clearly other things going on and you're right - we SHOULD have been okay. I don't like a red card, but if you have to take one for the team.... take it. Brentford would have had a free kick, not a goal.......

I don't hate Tommy by any stretch that is just my take on both incidents! We all see the game differently. To me, for the majority of 14/15 - with Berra alongside.... who we STILL haven't replaced, that was the best Tommy played and they were a fantastic partnership that particular season.

Phil, will his wages be COMPLETELY off the bill, or will the US side be being subsidised by us a little bit until the expiry of his contract is what I'd like to know!

Had a look at the first again and less sure whose fault but still think it was a mix-up more than anything, was how I saw it at the time from the other side of the pitch.

Re money, I doubt we'd have agreed to the deal if it was going to cost us something. There's an undisclosed fee, which I would guess is a few hundred thousand.
He was certainly...... on 22:28 - Jan 22 with 5308 viewsBloots

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:23 - Jan 22 by StNeotsBlue

I always thought Tommy was a better footballer than he was given credit for, had a goal him too which is a very handy attribute in a centre half. Some lovely stuff from him in the build up to Andre's debut goal, about the 4 min 50 sec mark.

....dangerous in both boxes.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:34 - Jan 22 with 5292 viewsPJH

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:26 - Jan 22 by PhilTWTD

Had a look at the first again and less sure whose fault but still think it was a mix-up more than anything, was how I saw it at the time from the other side of the pitch.

Re money, I doubt we'd have agreed to the deal if it was going to cost us something. There's an undisclosed fee, which I would guess is a few hundred thousand.

Tommy Smith had a nightmare at Cardiff, in my opinion, started poorly and got worse.
He was better for a large part of the game at Fulham but was now a back up centre half who could be brought in if a first choice was unavailable.
Possibly if he had got into the side and stayed in for a number of games he might have got back to what he was but on the evidence of what I had seen this season it would have taken a while.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:45 - Jan 22 with 5252 viewstractorshark

MIddlesbrough away when we conceded 4.
Bamford destroyed him that day.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 22:46]
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 23:01 - Jan 22 with 5220 viewsPhilTWTD

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 22:34 - Jan 22 by PJH

Tommy Smith had a nightmare at Cardiff, in my opinion, started poorly and got worse.
He was better for a large part of the game at Fulham but was now a back up centre half who could be brought in if a first choice was unavailable.
Possibly if he had got into the side and stayed in for a number of games he might have got back to what he was but on the evidence of what I had seen this season it would have taken a while.

Fair comment I'd say. Think he was brought in at Cardiff as Webster was similarly finding it difficult to get back to form after his time out.

Overall, like every defender, TS made mistakes at times but has been a good servant to Town, both on and off the pitch, over a long period. Also gave us the opportunity of seeing one of our own at a World Cup for the first time in a while.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 06:33 - Jan 23 with 5009 viewsTractorWood

Scored an equaliser in our biggest game in a decade when a few others went missing. No Cb is going to be perfect at this level. This post makes you look a bit of a contrarian. He's made 250 ish appearances and scored 20+ goals, cracking for a defender.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 6:33]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 06:37 - Jan 23 with 4994 viewsBenters2

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 06:33 - Jan 23 by TractorWood

Scored an equaliser in our biggest game in a decade when a few others went missing. No Cb is going to be perfect at this level. This post makes you look a bit of a contrarian. He's made 250 ish appearances and scored 20+ goals, cracking for a defender.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 6:33]

Indeed and his and our celebration was great!
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 07:52 - Jan 23 with 4917 viewsnshearman1

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 06:37 - Jan 23 by Benters2

Indeed and his and our celebration was great!

They were. Totally agree with Phil's summing up. Think he's going cheap if it's a few hundred thousand which I expect is true. He's 27, potentially a prime age for a CB, is big and can score goals. Think it's very sad that he's moving on because he can't get enough first-team football, and for much of that time he was played on the wrong side.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 08:07 - Jan 23 with 4882 viewsPattiswickBlue

100% agree with you! I think it's a great deal for him to go!! As much as he loves the club and has been here 14 years or whatever that still doesn't make you a good footballer! He makes far too many mistakes and everyone can clearly see that Tommy Smith would never be a top level championship CB I'm afraid he's just not good enough! Get him off the wage bill and bring in someone younger and better because that won't be hard to find! P.s to add to the mistakes list what about Derby with Chris Martin and in the play off 1st leg where he got knocked off the ball way to easily for someone of his stature against Norwich with Jerome!
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 08:13 - Jan 23 with 4867 viewsMaySixth

Very limited player who slowly improved to a solid defender

Tremendous servant to the the club though and I wish him all the best

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 08:23 - Jan 23 with 4851 viewsdavblue

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 23:01 - Jan 22 by PhilTWTD

Fair comment I'd say. Think he was brought in at Cardiff as Webster was similarly finding it difficult to get back to form after his time out.

Overall, like every defender, TS made mistakes at times but has been a good servant to Town, both on and off the pitch, over a long period. Also gave us the opportunity of seeing one of our own at a World Cup for the first time in a while.

I think Mick actually improved him as a player.

He used to get Bullied too much, i remember Clive Platt at home and chris iwelumo giving him a going over away at Watford a few times.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:28 - Jan 23 with 4761 viewsCurrie10

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 08:23 - Jan 23 by davblue

I think Mick actually improved him as a player.

He used to get Bullied too much, i remember Clive Platt at home and chris iwelumo giving him a going over away at Watford a few times.

Mick certainly sorted him out for the most part, he was utter toilet before then for the most part a pretty good player after.

Very happy we've gotten a fee / are not still covering wages. That's good!

Hope he does well in the future.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:31 - Jan 23 with 4750 viewsFinidiCentenary

Absolute class.

I suppose you turn up when people have been dumped to tell them how horrible their ex was anyway?

Well done for using the departure of a player that most of us thought was a top bloke, regardless of playing ability, to use it to highlight two mistakes he's made over 250 appearances.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:31 - Jan 23 with 4751 viewsmonty_radio

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 08:07 - Jan 23 by PattiswickBlue

100% agree with you! I think it's a great deal for him to go!! As much as he loves the club and has been here 14 years or whatever that still doesn't make you a good footballer! He makes far too many mistakes and everyone can clearly see that Tommy Smith would never be a top level championship CB I'm afraid he's just not good enough! Get him off the wage bill and bring in someone younger and better because that won't be hard to find! P.s to add to the mistakes list what about Derby with Chris Martin and in the play off 1st leg where he got knocked off the ball way to easily for someone of his stature against Norwich with Jerome!

We have seldom been in the market for proven 27 year-old championship-hardened defenders. Getting "him off the wage bill" would, I imagine, increase our wage bill substantially if this new £1 million plus man were identified and purchased.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:42 - Jan 23 with 4722 viewsTLA

I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:28 - Jan 23 by Currie10

Mick certainly sorted him out for the most part, he was utter toilet before then for the most part a pretty good player after.

Very happy we've gotten a fee / are not still covering wages. That's good!

Hope he does well in the future.

I've always loved Tommy and hoped he'd develop into our new Terry Butcher. I always wondered how much better he's have been in his best years with us playing on his natural side.

Given the severity of his recent injury problems, I'd be surprised if the fee was a couple of hundred thousand. I would think less with top-ups based on appearances.

I'll miss him but I think a wage off the balance sheet and a great opportunity for Tommy makes it the right decision.
I know Smith has been here a long time / nice lad etc.... on 09:49 - Jan 23 with 4712 viewsSWGF

Wow

And you called me negative for pointing out that our fabled front four hadn't been firing of late.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024