Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tennis: Kyle Edmund 06:14 - Jan 23 with 5915 viewsTLA

He's looking very impressive - it will be hard for him to get over the line but he looks very focussed.

Hopefully we'll soon have anther top 10 player.
(No subject) (n/t) on 06:52 - Jan 23 with 4676 viewschristiand

Morning TLA! Terrific result and performance by the young Brit. It will be interesting to see how high his ranking goes after this tournament, think Edmund is currently ranked at 49.

Andy who?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 6:54]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:16 - Jan 23 with 4650 viewsTLA

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:52 - Jan 23 by christiand

Morning TLA! Terrific result and performance by the young Brit. It will be interesting to see how high his ranking goes after this tournament, think Edmund is currently ranked at 49.

Andy who?

Morning christiand - hope all is well with you.

It was a great performance - I think Edmund has a similar game to Stan Wawrinka - some of those forehands were superb.

LOL at Andy who! I wonder if Edmund will be English when he wins and South African when he loses? Seriously though, it would be great to have a couple of players in the top ten and good for Davis Cup prospects, especially with Jamie Murray being such an accomplished doubles players.

It's a bit different from growing up with Jeremy Bates as the British number 1...
(No subject) (n/t) on 07:23 - Jan 23 with 4643 viewschristiand

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:16 - Jan 23 by TLA

Morning christiand - hope all is well with you.

It was a great performance - I think Edmund has a similar game to Stan Wawrinka - some of those forehands were superb.

LOL at Andy who! I wonder if Edmund will be English when he wins and South African when he loses? Seriously though, it would be great to have a couple of players in the top ten and good for Davis Cup prospects, especially with Jamie Murray being such an accomplished doubles players.

It's a bit different from growing up with Jeremy Bates as the British number 1...

Remember watching Wimbledon (late 80s early 90s) and getting excited that Jeremy Bates had got to the 4th round, the equivalent of winning the tournament - as a Brit getting that far in a Grand Slam was unheard of at the time! We have been spoilt by Andy Murray's success, until he retires we won't really appreciate what he has achieved.

I'll tell you TLA, if Edmund loses to Nadal or Cilic in the semi final, he's a Saffer!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:53 - Jan 23 with 4607 viewsTLA

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:23 - Jan 23 by christiand

Remember watching Wimbledon (late 80s early 90s) and getting excited that Jeremy Bates had got to the 4th round, the equivalent of winning the tournament - as a Brit getting that far in a Grand Slam was unheard of at the time! We have been spoilt by Andy Murray's success, until he retires we won't really appreciate what he has achieved.

I'll tell you TLA, if Edmund loses to Nadal or Cilic in the semi final, he's a Saffer!!!

I was dreading an era of no decent male GB players so it's good to have hope!

I'm not sure that Jezza even made the top 50 but I remember how important him getting to the second week of a slam was - and Jo Durie!

I can't believe Murray hasn't won the Aussie Open - is it 4 or 5 finals he's lost in? He's put up great fights against the best (at their best) and in another era he might have won 6 or 7 majors. He's even been close in France.
Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 08:50 - Jan 23 with 4552 viewsIpswichKnight

Think I read he can reach around 20 in the world now ( not sure if he can go higher by winning! ).
Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 09:18 - Jan 23 with 4518 viewsTLA

Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 08:50 - Jan 23 by IpswichKnight

Think I read he can reach around 20 in the world now ( not sure if he can go higher by winning! ).

I think that's right. Once players are in the top 20, draws at ATP events improve and he needs to be making finals of those for his ranking to get close to top 10.

He's beaten the 11th and 3rd seeds - it looks like Nadal next and, whilst it could be a decent match, I can't see him out-powering Rafa.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:19 - Jan 23 with 4518 viewsStokieBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:52 - Jan 23 by christiand

Andy who?

Apparently Murray has helped Edmund an incredible amount. In fact a few years ago when Murray thought Edmund could be good he started inviting him to stay at his training retreats for free and got Edmund doing the same workouts and practices he was doing.

It's obviously had a great effect given Edmund's rise.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:26 - Jan 23 with 4502 viewsTLA

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:19 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

Apparently Murray has helped Edmund an incredible amount. In fact a few years ago when Murray thought Edmund could be good he started inviting him to stay at his training retreats for free and got Edmund doing the same workouts and practices he was doing.

It's obviously had a great effect given Edmund's rise.

SB

Murray has been amazing for British tennis.

I know he has been supportive of Edmund but not to the extent you've explained.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:36 - Jan 23 with 4486 viewsStokieBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:26 - Jan 23 by TLA

Murray has been amazing for British tennis.

I know he has been supportive of Edmund but not to the extent you've explained.

Are you sure? I was listening to the tennis commentary this morning and the commentator described all the things I've said plus more. You may well be more versed in the subject than me though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/12/27/kyle-edmund-prepared-put-hard-yards

Either way a brilliant result for Edmund and congrats to him.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:37]

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 4449 viewssolemio

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:36 - Jan 23 by StokieBlue

Are you sure? I was listening to the tennis commentary this morning and the commentator described all the things I've said plus more. You may well be more versed in the subject than me though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/12/27/kyle-edmund-prepared-put-hard-yards

Either way a brilliant result for Edmund and congrats to him.

SB
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:37]

I suspect TLA meant that before your post he didn't realise how much Drew Murray had done to help KE, but now he does.
Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 10:43 - Jan 23 with 4433 viewsGeoffSentence

Another top british tennis player with a complicated nationality,

His father was born in Wales but was brought up in Zimbabwe, his mother was South African, he was born in South Africa but moved to England when he was 3 and was brought up in Yorkshire.

So he is a kind of Cambro-South African-Anglo-Zimbabwean brit.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:44 - Jan 23 with 4430 viewsStokieBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:22 - Jan 23 by solemio

I suspect TLA meant that before your post he didn't realise how much Drew Murray had done to help KE, but now he does.

Ah yes, I see that now :).

SB

Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 10:47 - Jan 23 with 4423 viewshype313

Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 10:43 - Jan 23 by GeoffSentence

Another top british tennis player with a complicated nationality,

His father was born in Wales but was brought up in Zimbabwe, his mother was South African, he was born in South Africa but moved to England when he was 3 and was brought up in Yorkshire.

So he is a kind of Cambro-South African-Anglo-Zimbabwean brit.

I very much doubt he remembers much of his time in SA , fro what I've read he sees himself as 100% Brit.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:23 - Jan 23 with 4386 viewsblueislander

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:53 - Jan 23 by TLA

I was dreading an era of no decent male GB players so it's good to have hope!

I'm not sure that Jezza even made the top 50 but I remember how important him getting to the second week of a slam was - and Jo Durie!

I can't believe Murray hasn't won the Aussie Open - is it 4 or 5 finals he's lost in? He's put up great fights against the best (at their best) and in another era he might have won 6 or 7 majors. He's even been close in France.

Bates peaked around 50 in the rankings, but he did win 2 Grand Slam mixed titles with Jo Durie. It is a huge step for Edmunds because it means he will get automaric entry into all the top ATP events.
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:31 - Jan 23 with 4373 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:23 - Jan 23 by blueislander

Bates peaked around 50 in the rankings, but he did win 2 Grand Slam mixed titles with Jo Durie. It is a huge step for Edmunds because it means he will get automaric entry into all the top ATP events.

Including Wimbledon.

For a bonus point, without looking it up, who was the next Brit to win an able bodied adult Wimbledon title.

I'll give you a clue, his surname begins with "M" and ends in "y".
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:33 - Jan 23 with 4363 viewsGeoffSentence

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:31 - Jan 23 by connorscontract

Including Wimbledon.

For a bonus point, without looking it up, who was the next Brit to win an able bodied adult Wimbledon title.

Is this a trick question ? Was it the lesser known Murray, Jamie or whatever his name is, winning a doubles title?

Or even trickier and that other doubles chap , Marray is it?

I know feck all about tennis, expect that most good British tennis players, with the exception of the Murrays, actually come from somewhere else.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:34]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:33 - Jan 23 with 4358 viewsblueislander

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:31 - Jan 23 by connorscontract

Including Wimbledon.

And without any clue who was the male Brit to win a Grand Slam title before Bates.?
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:57 - Jan 23 with 4332 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:33 - Jan 23 by GeoffSentence

Is this a trick question ? Was it the lesser known Murray, Jamie or whatever his name is, winning a doubles title?

Or even trickier and that other doubles chap , Marray is it?

I know feck all about tennis, expect that most good British tennis players, with the exception of the Murrays, actually come from somewhere else.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:34]

It was a double bluff. Jamie Murray, won the Mixed Doubles in 2007. Jonathan Marray won the Men's Doubles in 2012.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Marray

You can also annoy people with "In which year did Andy Murray first win the Men's Singles at Wimbledon?"

He first won the Wimbledon Title in 2013, but won the Men's Singles at the 2012 Olympic Games at Wimbledon.
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:00 - Jan 23 with 4330 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:33 - Jan 23 by blueislander

And without any clue who was the male Brit to win a Grand Slam title before Bates.?

Without looking it up I'd go for Fred Perry.

Or did Buster Mottram exceed himself once?
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:09 - Jan 23 with 4305 viewsusm

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:00 - Jan 23 by connorscontract

Without looking it up I'd go for Fred Perry.

Or did Buster Mottram exceed himself once?

John Lloyd ???

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:12 - Jan 23 with 4288 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:09 - Jan 23 by usm

John Lloyd ???

Oh yes! Was it the Australian Open?
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:17 - Jan 23 with 4275 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:12 - Jan 23 by connorscontract

My mind is currently blown because I followed wiki links from Buster Mottram, a white nationalist, to Kenny Lynch- who formed a song-writing duo with him.

And then reading Kenny Lynch's page I discovered he wrote "Sha La La La Lee" for The Small Faces, the vocal theme for Assault on Precinct 13, and the theme for Carry On Emmanuelle. Which is a quiz question that I'd wager would stump an Eggheads and The Chase super-team.
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:27 - Jan 23 with 4246 viewsconnorscontract

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:12 - Jan 23 by connorscontract

Ah, Runner Up in Aus, but 3 time Mixed Doubles Grand Slam Winner. Great question!
Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 12:28 - Jan 23 with 4245 viewsisitinthemiddle

Fingers crossed.

Not a massive Murray fan. Not done anything to annoy me he just comes across dull and boring. Hopefully this guy has a personality and more charisma.

Good luck to Kyle...
Tennis: Kyle Edmund on 12:52 - Jan 23 with 4200 viewsStokieBlue

Real chance of making the final now - Nadal had retired injured.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024