Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary 07:43 - Jan 23 with 30113 viewsGlasgowBlue

Will support him in his bid to get savings from the EU contributions to be spent on the NHS once we leave?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-demands-5bn-extra-for-nhs-hsg0c
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 7:43]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:15 - Jan 23 with 5409 viewsbenno1uk

Maybe the Scots and Welsh could pay for their subscriptions like the English do. That would help.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:15]
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:16 - Jan 23 with 5403 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:07 - Jan 23 by giant_stow

As I just said, I remember several debates where you argued that it was fine to spend money on NI, how it would benefit the whole of that area, not just the Unionists, how it was *just* £1b spread over x many years....

When I get to work I’ll dig up the thread and perhaps you’ll apologise. As for your original point of hypocrisy.

If we save X from the EU contributions and we spent all x on the English NHS that wouldn’t be fair on the other devolved oarts if the Union. Surely it’s only right to let those parliaments and assemblies spend their share of the savings as they see fit. The U.K. govt is only responsible fir the nhs budget in Rngksnd. Health is devolved elsewhere.

So what is hypocritical about this?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:16]

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:17 - Jan 23 with 5405 viewsBlueBadger

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:12 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Whether he does or doesn’t, and only wants to give it to the NHS to get himself off the hook, do you still welcome it if it happens?

I'd rather they stopped d1cking about with sticking plaster solutions and attention seeking soundbites(that aren't even as generous as Boris' original attention seeking soundbite on a bus) and actually did something that would genuinely help long-term. Like scrapping the internal market, seeking a payoff deal with the PFI sharks, stooped needlessly antagonising frontline staff and reversed measures that will have serious long-term effects on recruitment.

In any case, he'll do neither. The only thing Boris is concerned about here is his career.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:18 - Jan 23 with 5400 viewsBlueBadger

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:14 - Jan 23 by Basuco

It looks more like a cheap publicity stunt to launch his bid for prime minister to me.

I can't believe that Honest and Competent Boris, of all people, would ever stoop to cheap sloganeering in order to further his profile.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:19 - Jan 23 with 5393 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:16 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

When I get to work I’ll dig up the thread and perhaps you’ll apologise. As for your original point of hypocrisy.

If we save X from the EU contributions and we spent all x on the English NHS that wouldn’t be fair on the other devolved oarts if the Union. Surely it’s only right to let those parliaments and assemblies spend their share of the savings as they see fit. The U.K. govt is only responsible fir the nhs budget in Rngksnd. Health is devolved elsewhere.

Your post is timed at 09.16 & you're not at work?
Are you on late shift today?
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:19 - Jan 23 with 5393 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:12 - Jan 23 by Bluefish

Well..... as we are going to be worse off I am waiting for you to explain where this money being taken from. It will be needed to plug lots of deficit gaps when we leave.

The NHS is also not sustainable in its current form so it would be just papering over enormous cracks. It needs enormous reform but it protected by sentimentality

You say we are going to be worse off. I believe we will get a favourable deal from the EU and open up trade deals with non EU countries and be better off.

One of us will be right. The people who share your view said unemployment would rise in theevent of a leave vote. It’s down. They said we would have a 2016 and 2017 recessions we didn’t. Yo they said house prices would fall by 25%. House prices are still rising. And I’m still waiting for world ward three.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:21 - Jan 23 with 5389 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:17 - Jan 23 by BlueBadger

I'd rather they stopped d1cking about with sticking plaster solutions and attention seeking soundbites(that aren't even as generous as Boris' original attention seeking soundbite on a bus) and actually did something that would genuinely help long-term. Like scrapping the internal market, seeking a payoff deal with the PFI sharks, stooped needlessly antagonising frontline staff and reversed measures that will have serious long-term effects on recruitment.

In any case, he'll do neither. The only thing Boris is concerned about here is his career.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:21]

Or scrapping an outdated system and looking at how our European neighbour produce far better outcomes for their patients in a 21st century health service.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:21 - Jan 23 with 5391 viewsBasuco

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:12 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Whether he does or doesn’t, and only wants to give it to the NHS to get himself off the hook, do you still welcome it if it happens?

It depends how much of this money goes into the pocket of Richard Branson through private profit as his companies slowly take over NHS services.
Login to get fewer ads

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:22 - Jan 23 with 5384 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:19 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

You say we are going to be worse off. I believe we will get a favourable deal from the EU and open up trade deals with non EU countries and be better off.

One of us will be right. The people who share your view said unemployment would rise in theevent of a leave vote. It’s down. They said we would have a 2016 and 2017 recessions we didn’t. Yo they said house prices would fall by 25%. House prices are still rising. And I’m still waiting for world ward three.

I am still waiting for you to tell us what we can make to sell on that doesn't need components from EU manufacturers for the item to become saleable.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:24 - Jan 23 with 5382 viewsgiant_stow

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:16 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

oh how exciting - I've got a GB apology demand! Never had one of those before!

If you can show me that you didn't defend just spending that money on NI I will indeed apologise, but given you've defended it in this thread*, I don't think you'll be able to.

*"No I didn’t. I said that in the context of a £750billion a year budget, £1 billion over five years was small potatoes.." Sounds like a defence of that spending to me.

And that's spent on a population of roughly 2m people. £5b spent on a population on a population of over 50m English is obvious a smaller spend per head, so presumably even smaller potatoes?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:24]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:25 - Jan 23 with 5381 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:22 - Jan 23 by No9

I am still waiting for you to tell us what we can make to sell on that doesn't need components from EU manufacturers for the item to become saleable.

Are we going to stop buying stuff from EU countries then? You really are an isolationist little englander. I want to trade more with EU countries. And the rest of the world.

Embrace the global market. Don’t be so scared of the wider world.

Now if you don’t mind I have a T25 workout to do then off to work. Chat later xx
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:26]

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:26 - Jan 23 with 5378 viewsBlueBadger

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:21 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Or scrapping an outdated system and looking at how our European neighbour produce far better outcomes for their patients in a 21st century health service.

I'm with you on that one. The 'internal market' wasn't even a good idea in the 1980s.

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:37 - Jan 23 with 5357 viewsLord_Lucan

So as I see it Boris is bidding that we give the money and advises quite clearly how it will be funded - result? Boo

If Corbyn had promised this but failed how it would be funded - result? Hurrah.

That seems the size of it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:39 - Jan 23 with 5351 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:25 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Are we going to stop buying stuff from EU countries then? You really are an isolationist little englander. I want to trade more with EU countries. And the rest of the world.

Embrace the global market. Don’t be so scared of the wider world.

Now if you don’t mind I have a T25 workout to do then off to work. Chat later xx
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:26]

Even I didn't realise just how far out of touch with reality you are.
We do embrace the global markets with goods made in the UK using EU components and management - Mini, RR & Bentley being good examples
So you are on late shift?
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:39 - Jan 23 with 5351 viewsimsureazzure

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:19 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I'm in Felixstowe today, I will check if the dock is still open.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:40 - Jan 23 with 5349 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:21 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Which European system?
None are the same
on 09:49 - Jan 23 with 5335 views_

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 08:27 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t believe in God.

I take it that you are happy that the NHS will receive more funding when we leave the EU but are left speechless by your joy?

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:54 - Jan 23 with 5339 viewsGuthrum

If this isn't just a cynical play to keep his media profile up (especially following the "Boris Bridge" fiasco), to salvage some reputation from his Brexit campaign pontifications and to intrude upon other ministers' departments, then I would. But I'm not convinced it's anything more than that.

At the moment I actually have more respect for Gove, who has at least kept his head down and thrown himself into the Environment brief.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:13 - Jan 23 with 5324 viewschicoazul

I would support him if I thought he was serious about it and not just using the NHS to undermine his boss as per usual.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:16 - Jan 23 with 5312 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:24 - Jan 23 by giant_stow

oh how exciting - I've got a GB apology demand! Never had one of those before!

If you can show me that you didn't defend just spending that money on NI I will indeed apologise, but given you've defended it in this thread*, I don't think you'll be able to.

*"No I didn’t. I said that in the context of a £750billion a year budget, £1 billion over five years was small potatoes.." Sounds like a defence of that spending to me.

And that's spent on a population of roughly 2m people. £5b spent on a population on a population of over 50m English is obvious a smaller spend per head, so presumably even smaller potatoes?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:24]

Christ this is hard work.

The deal is wrong. I object both to bringing the DUP in as a silent partner in government on moral grounds due to their former support of sectarian terrorism. I object to spending money in NI to enable that deal on the grounds that, as I said in a previous thread, it isn't new money. It will come from projects that were earmarked for England, Scotland and Wales. A school here or a road there that we will lose and NI will gain.

So for the benefit of the hard of understanding I am not defending the deal. I am apaaled by the deal.

Now when we were discussing this in the last thread some months ago No 9 was saying them Money was going to the DUP. It isn't. It's being spent on health, mental health and areas of deprivation in NI amongst other things. That is pointing out facts. Not defending the deal.

When I explained the context of it being small potatoes in the context of it being £1billion over five years in an anulal budget of £750 billion a year (£3750billion over 5 years plus a bit more as we increase spending each year) it was in reply to a comment made about Labour's unfunded spending commitments of £339billion. When I pointed out this someone said "well you can find a billion for the DUP" . In that context then it is very small potatoes. That isn't a defence of the deal.

Do you accept that I am not defending the deal.

You still haven't demonstrated any hypocrisy in what I said in the op about the money Boris is suggesting only going to NHS spending England. Care to do this. Do you accept that Scotland, Wales and NI have a devolved health service and it would be wrong of Boris to sugest we spend the entire saving on NHS England with the rest of the devolved powers getting sweet FA? Surely these devolved govts should have the final say on where their portion of the EU budget savings are spent?

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:16 - Jan 23 with 5312 viewschicoazul

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:54 - Jan 23 by Guthrum

If this isn't just a cynical play to keep his media profile up (especially following the "Boris Bridge" fiasco), to salvage some reputation from his Brexit campaign pontifications and to intrude upon other ministers' departments, then I would. But I'm not convinced it's anything more than that.

At the moment I actually have more respect for Gove, who has at least kept his head down and thrown himself into the Environment brief.

Michael Gove seems to be.....good? In many ways.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:19 - Jan 23 with 5308 viewsartsbossbeard

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:37 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

So as I see it Boris is bidding that we give the money and advises quite clearly how it will be funded - result? Boo

Corbyn didn't promise me a fully functioning, fully staffed hospital at the back of my garden.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:19 - Jan 23 with 5308 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:37 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

Nail on head. Some on here have been bleating that Boris should be held to account over his aspiration to use some savings from the EU budget to fund the NHS. Yet when he tries to do this they boo. The same people who are crying out for more d=funding in the NHS are now booing somebody trying to give more funding to the NHS.

And some people have the brass nerve to say it's me trying to score political points.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:22 - Jan 23 with 5300 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:19 - Jan 23 by artsbossbeard

Corbyn didn't promise me a fully functioning, fully staffed hospital at the back of my garden.

There's no room at the back of your garden because you live on a housing estate.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:23 - Jan 23 with 5292 viewsartsbossbeard

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:22 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

There's no room at the back of your garden because you live on a housing estate.

With decent access to the A14 & A12, which means that I'm 30 mins from the coast, an hour from Stratford and an hour from Cambridge.

Back of the net.

Where's my hospital?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024