Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary 07:43 - Jan 23 with 30119 viewsGlasgowBlue

Will support him in his bid to get savings from the EU contributions to be spent on the NHS once we leave?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-demands-5bn-extra-for-nhs-hsg0c
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 7:43]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 12:41 - Jan 23 with 5659 viewsLeoMuff

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:32 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I honestly believe there are a small number of people who ware desperate fir Brexit to fail. Who would rather see a recession than prosperity. Who call for more NHS funding but pray it dies then come from us leaving the EU.

This is really quite simple Libby. Di you support more funding for the NHS? Do you support Boris bid to get a commitment to this funding from EU contribution savings? They are two very easy questions to answer with a yes or a no.

Anything else will prove me right in my first paragraph.

If there is any money left from this EU contribution after we pay the farmers, fishermen, city of London, car manafacturers, and the local councils their lost subsidies and recompense, you can be damn sure the NHS won’t see, it unless the service is on its knees or their is political capital to be made.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 13:05 - Jan 23 with 5604 viewsArcher4721

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 10:57 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Defend them on a daily basis?

Truth and you are strangers facey aren't they?

Edit. Just checked. The last thread I started on the Conservative party was in August and was not particularly complimentary. Do you make things up because you are feeling a little lonely?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 11:11]

Now run along and check all the threads you've contributed to in the same period. It was around 112 threads at the last check.

You wouldn't know the "truth" if it smacked you in the face.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 13:46 - Jan 23 with 5537 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 12:41 - Jan 23 by LeoMuff

If there is any money left from this EU contribution after we pay the farmers, fishermen, city of London, car manafacturers, and the local councils their lost subsidies and recompense, you can be damn sure the NHS won’t see, it unless the service is on its knees or their is political capital to be made.

Not to mention those with Grouse moors who come in for special support
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 13:55 - Jan 23 with 5527 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 13:05 - Jan 23 by Archer4721

Now run along and check all the threads you've contributed to in the same period. It was around 112 threads at the last check.

You wouldn't know the "truth" if it smacked you in the face.

Hmmmmn. Ive defended and promoted the Tory party 112 times on here since August?

Care to link them all or did you pick that number from the voices in your head? You do realise that having a pop at Jezza and his rag bag band of tankies and trots is different to defending and promoting the Tories? Although you think anyone who isnt in momentum is a Tory so you may be including those as well.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:08 - Jan 23 with 5504 viewsCotty

I support the concept, but not his motivation for doing so, which is at best deeply cynical.

£100m extra a week might at least plug the gap in extra drug and other costs due to the decrease in the value of GBP since the referendum. He's got some way further to go to put the NHS in a better position than it was before 2010.

But none of this is about the EU or about the NHS is it? It's about Boris...
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:25 - Jan 23 with 5485 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:08 - Jan 23 by Cotty

I support the concept, but not his motivation for doing so, which is at best deeply cynical.

£100m extra a week might at least plug the gap in extra drug and other costs due to the decrease in the value of GBP since the referendum. He's got some way further to go to put the NHS in a better position than it was before 2010.

Boris does little without thinking what's best for Boris. But as unbelievablue points out, the end game may be positive.

With regards to a loss of GDP because of Brexit; We haven't left yet. Any fall in GDP, and bare in mind that a 2016 and 2017 recession was predicted if we voted to leave, is down to confidence and not that we are unable to make a success of Brexit.

It's basically like betting on an outcome. If Labour were to win the next election then the markets will fall and, as John McDonnell has said, there will be a run on the pound (one of the strongest performing currencies so far in 2018 and above $1.40 this morning). Those events will be based on speculation and not on the performance of a Corbyn government which wouldn't have even got it's feet under the cabinet table.

So should people not vote for what they see as a fairer and more equal society, with more money spent on public services, because of how the money markets may react? Because that the aftermath of the Brexit vote right there applied to a general election.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 14:25]

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:27 - Jan 23 with 5482 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:08 - Jan 23 by Cotty

Do you know where the majority of drugs are manufactured and where the raw materials come from?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:15 - Jan 23 with 5436 viewsCotty

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:27 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

Do you know where the majority of drugs are manufactured and where the raw materials come from?

I'm quite aware, given that my wife is a research scientist at one of the biggest pharma companies in the UK. The extra costs to the NHS due to the devaluation of the pound are undeniable.

This article is old, but gives an estimate of the extra costs. It also claims that at least half of drugs are sourced from outside of the UK, but bought in GBP. I can't verify the source myself, but I'm sure you could do some digging if you wanted to dispute that.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/finance-and-efficiency/brexit-fall-in-the-pound-could-crea
Login to get fewer ads

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:17 - Jan 23 with 5428 viewsCotty

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 14:25 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Boris does little without thinking what's best for Boris. But as unbelievablue points out, the end game may be positive.

With regards to a loss of GDP because of Brexit; We haven't left yet. Any fall in GDP, and bare in mind that a 2016 and 2017 recession was predicted if we voted to leave, is down to confidence and not that we are unable to make a success of Brexit.

It's basically like betting on an outcome. If Labour were to win the next election then the markets will fall and, as John McDonnell has said, there will be a run on the pound (one of the strongest performing currencies so far in 2018 and above $1.40 this morning). Those events will be based on speculation and not on the performance of a Corbyn government which wouldn't have even got it's feet under the cabinet table.

So should people not vote for what they see as a fairer and more equal society, with more money spent on public services, because of how the money markets may react? Because that the aftermath of the Brexit vote right there applied to a general election.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 14:25]

Weegers, I said the fall in GBP, not GDP. It's already happened. Happy to let you readdress the point I actually made.

But yes, the likely fall in GDP and tax receipts will hit everything, not least the NHS.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:47 - Jan 23 with 5399 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:15 - Jan 23 by Cotty

I'm quite aware, given that my wife is a research scientist at one of the biggest pharma companies in the UK. The extra costs to the NHS due to the devaluation of the pound are undeniable.

This article is old, but gives an estimate of the extra costs. It also claims that at least half of drugs are sourced from outside of the UK, but bought in GBP. I can't verify the source myself, but I'm sure you could do some digging if you wanted to dispute that.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/finance-and-efficiency/brexit-fall-in-the-pound-could-crea

Why would I dispute anything?

I asked the question, I didn't know the answer. That's why I asked!

Mind you, if they are purchased in GBP then the exchange rate makes no odds.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:48 - Jan 23 with 5399 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:17 - Jan 23 by Cotty

Weegers, I said the fall in GBP, not GDP. It's already happened. Happy to let you readdress the point I actually made.

But yes, the likely fall in GDP and tax receipts will hit everything, not least the NHS.

My bad. I need glasses. The fall in sterling has boosted exports. That can't be denied. But by point regarding GDP also applies to the fall in the pound. The pound fell because the money men lost confidence in sterling after the vote. We were two years away from actually leaving when the GBP fell so sharply. The FTSE also crashed but recovered quite quickly. The moneymen were expecting an immediate recession.

That has nothing to do with our performance outside the EU but speculators opinion on how we would perform outside of the EU. That's not the fault of the vote. That's the fault of the speculators.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 15:52]

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:52 - Jan 23 with 5393 viewslowhouseblue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:48 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

My bad. I need glasses. The fall in sterling has boosted exports. That can't be denied. But by point regarding GDP also applies to the fall in the pound. The pound fell because the money men lost confidence in sterling after the vote. We were two years away from actually leaving when the GBP fell so sharply. The FTSE also crashed but recovered quite quickly. The moneymen were expecting an immediate recession.

That has nothing to do with our performance outside the EU but speculators opinion on how we would perform outside of the EU. That's not the fault of the vote. That's the fault of the speculators.

the £ is now back up against the $. april 2016 = $1.46. now = £1.39. so not so much of a fall.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:55 - Jan 23 with 5386 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 15:48 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Sterling crashed long before the vote

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:00 - Jan 23 with 5364 viewsCotty

The fall in sterling has boosted exports.

Exports make up a minority of our economy, as you of course know all too well. The fall in the pound has had a large negative overall effect on the economy, not least seen in high inflation, and stagnation of wages.

You didn't address the point about extra costs to the NHS anywhere in that post.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:07 - Jan 23 with 5352 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:00 - Jan 23 by Cotty

Exports make up a minority of our economy, as you of course know all too well. The fall in the pound has had a large negative overall effect on the economy, not least seen in high inflation, and stagnation of wages.

You didn't address the point about extra costs to the NHS anywhere in that post.

Wages have been stagnant for 10 years btw
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:08 - Jan 23 with 5350 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:00 - Jan 23 by Cotty

Because there isn't an answer. The fall in the pound has had a negative effect on the economy. No argument there, although the boost in exports is very important for UK companies especially as we will be looking to open new trade deals when we have left the EU.

But it wasn't just exports that took advantage of a low pound. The UK tourism economy had a big boost.

But why did the pound fall? Because of speculation. Not because we have left the EU.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:14 - Jan 23 with 5333 viewsLord_Lucan

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:08 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

Because there isn't an answer. The fall in the pound has had a negative effect on the economy. No argument there, although the boost in exports is very important for UK companies especially as we will be looking to open new trade deals when we have left the EU.

But it wasn't just exports that took advantage of a low pound. The UK tourism economy had a big boost.

But why did the pound fall? Because of speculation. Not because we have left the EU.

The £ fell even before a referendum was announced.

In 2009 it was 2.08 x rate - although I admit that was excessive.

Anything under 1.65 is bad (optimum being 1.75 / 1.8)

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:18 - Jan 23 with 5323 viewsCotty

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:08 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

So my original point stands then, thank you.

Why do you think there is negative speculation? What could speculator's concerns be about leaving a huge free trade area with our nearest neighbours and biggest export market do you think? Do you think there is uncertainty regarding the terms of our exit? It's really not hard to understand why speculators sold GBP in large quantities following the referendum vote, I'm sure you can see that too. To blame it on scare-mongering is disingenuous, and should be exposed as such.
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:33 - Jan 23 with 5315 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:18 - Jan 23 by Cotty

So my original point stands then, thank you.

Why do you think there is negative speculation? What could speculator's concerns be about leaving a huge free trade area with our nearest neighbours and biggest export market do you think? Do you think there is uncertainty regarding the terms of our exit? It's really not hard to understand why speculators sold GBP in large quantities following the referendum vote, I'm sure you can see that too. To blame it on scare-mongering is disingenuous, and should be exposed as such.

The same people who speculated on the value of GBP also predicted that we would have a 2016 and 2017 recession. Neither happened.

You'll forgive the copy and paste job below but just to be clear. The speculators got it wrong.

HSBC predicted the pound would hit parity with the €uro. Remain backing Morgan Stanley that the €uro would surge past parity to be worth £1.02. The pound ended the year at €1.12.

Goldman Sachs said sterling would fall from $1.25 to $1.14 in 2017. It finished the year at $1.35 and rose to $1.40 yesterday.

In December, the UK topped Forbes list of best places to business in the world. Forbes said that after the Leave vote “predictions swirled that the British economy would collapse”, yet “the economy as a whole has held up relatively well” and “Britain’s business climate remains attractive. The UK ranks first for the first time in Forbes’ 12th annual survey of the Best Countries for Business”. We were fifth last year and have never come top before.

More businesses were established in the UK last year that in any of world’s other developed economies, according to accountants UHY Hacker Young. 218,000 new businesses were started in the UK in 2016, a a 6% increase on 2015.

During the referendum the Remain campaign said:
“If we left, businesses would be hit by new charges leading to job cuts, higher prices, lower wages and fewer opportunities for you and your family. Companies say they would move their business, and jobs, to other EU countries, meaning fewer jobs on the UK market.”

I'll add the productivity is up. Unemployment was predicted to rise by 500,000 in the aftermath of a leave vote due to loss of confidence. Unemployment is down.

I could go on but suffice to say the experts and the speculators were wrong to be so negative. I can see why they would panic but the panic was unfounded.

So it brings me back to the Brexit /Corbyn argument. Should be suspend elections whilst Corbyn is Leader as the pound will fall and the FTSE will crash based purely on his election as Prime Minister? Or do we make the decisions we think are in our country's interest regardless of the bankers, hedge fund managers and currency speculators?

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:49 - Jan 23 with 5293 viewstractordownsouth

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 09:05 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

I think you will find that I left the Tory party over the deal with the DUP and said I would never vote Tory again so long as May is the leader because of that deal.

But don’t let facts get in the way.

Can we at least get some half hearted suppor pt for the foreign Secretary’s bid to get more funding for the NHS?
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 9:06]

If there were a GE tomorrow with the current leaders, who would you be voting for?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:53 - Jan 23 with 5283 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:49 - Jan 23 by tractordownsouth

If there were a GE tomorrow with the current leaders, who would you be voting for?

The best independent candidate on offer. I wont vote Tory out of principle and I disagree with the SNP, Labour and Lib/Dem policies.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:57 - Jan 23 with 5271 viewsBOjK

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:58 - Jan 23 with 5267 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:57 - Jan 23 by BOjK

Only if you want one.

Iron Lion Zion

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 17:16 - Jan 23 with 5240 viewsNo9

I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 16:33 - Jan 23 by GlasgowBlue

The same people who speculated on the value of GBP also predicted that we would have a 2016 and 2017 recession. Neither happened.

You'll forgive the copy and paste job below but just to be clear. The speculators got it wrong.

HSBC predicted the pound would hit parity with the €uro. Remain backing Morgan Stanley that the €uro would surge past parity to be worth £1.02. The pound ended the year at €1.12.

Goldman Sachs said sterling would fall from $1.25 to $1.14 in 2017. It finished the year at $1.35 and rose to $1.40 yesterday.

In December, the UK topped Forbes list of best places to business in the world. Forbes said that after the Leave vote “predictions swirled that the British economy would collapse”, yet “the economy as a whole has held up relatively well” and “Britain’s business climate remains attractive. The UK ranks first for the first time in Forbes’ 12th annual survey of the Best Countries for Business”. We were fifth last year and have never come top before.

More businesses were established in the UK last year that in any of world’s other developed economies, according to accountants UHY Hacker Young. 218,000 new businesses were started in the UK in 2016, a a 6% increase on 2015.

During the referendum the Remain campaign said:
“If we left, businesses would be hit by new charges leading to job cuts, higher prices, lower wages and fewer opportunities for you and your family. Companies say they would move their business, and jobs, to other EU countries, meaning fewer jobs on the UK market.”

I'll add the productivity is up. Unemployment was predicted to rise by 500,000 in the aftermath of a leave vote due to loss of confidence. Unemployment is down.

I could go on but suffice to say the experts and the speculators were wrong to be so negative. I can see why they would panic but the panic was unfounded.

So it brings me back to the Brexit /Corbyn argument. Should be suspend elections whilst Corbyn is Leader as the pound will fall and the FTSE will crash based purely on his election as Prime Minister? Or do we make the decisions we think are in our country's interest regardless of the bankers, hedge fund managers and currency speculators?

Did Guido put this rubbish together for you?
And, when will you tell us what the UK will make for resale in the greater world that doesn't require components from the EU?
And;
Just for the record, you forecast the tories would win the 2017 G.E. by how many seats?
And, didn't you, sometime ago forecast Mr Gove would be the next tory leader?
I’m sure even the harshest critic of the Foreign Secretary on 17:24 - Jan 23 with 5233 viewsmanchego

Here's a terrible little secret that you should know. I'm sorry to have to break it to you on a footy forum but ......... Boris doesn't give a flying F about the NHS.

Also, this just in, The Tories don't give a flying F about the NHS.

You know about Santa Claus right ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024