Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) 14:58 - Jan 23 with 17780 viewsFinidiCentenary

Well, it has been open for nearly a week.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/high-winds-to-close-a14-orwell-bridge-in-suffo

Only a matter of time before Terry Baxter tells us the local economy / town centre has lost another million quid. So that's three million in three weeks (assuming the figures are anywhere near accurate).

Am I right in saying that we don't get any money for a Northern Bypass, but Norwich successfully asked for a pot of money from the same kitty for something cosmetic, which was not particularly needed.

Given this is the road which pretty much most of the goods shipped to and from the UK have to travel to, I'm amazed there hasn't been a solution sorted a long time ago. Yet another day of gridlock to contest with on the towns roads.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2018 15:02]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 09:53 - Jan 24 with 4786 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 19:02 - Jan 23 by amy73

Yes, but they will all be put back how they were. The land owners are being highly compensated for the disruption. It would be awful if there was a road there just because the Orwell bridge got closed occasionally. The lines prevent any further building on that route in any case, which is why, in the most part residents are happy to have them.

Let’s not use a sledge hammer to crack a nut. The solution is one of the following:

A. Make the bridge more windproof.
B. Come up with a better closing strategy, ie just close to high-sided vehicles. This is done all the time with other bridges like the Humber.
C. Build a tunnel
D. Or how about just put up with it occasionally?

I suspect all of these solutions are cheaper than a totally unnecessary Northern bypass.

I think you’re my favourite troll we’ve had on here

Miraculous performance

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Current estimate is closed at 10am not before on 10:35 - Jan 24 with 4757 viewsBenters2

Current estimate is closed at 10am not before on 08:40 - Jan 24 by GeoffSentence

I guess the wind just howls across those wide open spaces.

Indeed it rattles across the prairies.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:18 - Jan 24 with 4690 viewsamy73

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 09:47 - Jan 24 by allezlesbleus

What about all the businesses in and around Ipswich, whose trade suffers whenever the bridge is closed? Do they get a rebate on the rates that they pay.......no chance.

Before you say that businesses can afford it, there are a number of small businesses that really struggle if customers and staff cannot make it into the town centre without a massive delay. I know of someone who's journey normally takes between 15 to 20 mins to drive into town and it took them 3 hours when the bridge was closed at the start of January.

Does their trade really suffer? Really? I doubt it. People are delayed for many reasons. Sickness, road accident, roadworks, road closure, can’t find a parking space. I would contest it doesn’t have a major effect overall. Annoying, certainly. Costly, I don’t think so.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:31 - Jan 24 with 4661 viewsallezlesbleus

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:18 - Jan 24 by amy73

Does their trade really suffer? Really? I doubt it. People are delayed for many reasons. Sickness, road accident, roadworks, road closure, can’t find a parking space. I would contest it doesn’t have a major effect overall. Annoying, certainly. Costly, I don’t think so.

I think Romford is correct.....you are just taking the pish.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:32 - Jan 24 with 4658 viewsBinner

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 16:25 - Jan 23 by FinidiCentenary

I'm sure I read somewhere that 90% of everything sold in the UK comes through Felixstowe and therefore crosses the Orwell Bridge.

It's absolutely mad in that case given the billions and trillions of trade affected that we rely on this one bridge which is closed to haulage vehicles three times in three weeks when it's windy and the entire town is brought to a standstill.

I don't understand how nobody has been held to account for the complete cluster fvck as you rightly refer to it as.

Not disputing that you read that. But did it occur to you to wonder who would invent what is obviously an absurdly inaccurate statistic?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 16:26 - Jan 24 with 4614 viewsGeoffSentence

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:32 - Jan 24 by Binner

Not disputing that you read that. But did it occur to you to wonder who would invent what is obviously an absurdly inaccurate statistic?

The best figures that I can find, which is from a report by ABP regarding 2014 trade figures, is that out of a grand total of £551,000,000,000 worth of international trade that passed through british sea ports, so that's import and export, £74.5Bn went through Felixstowe., of which £44.5bn was imports, £30bn exports.

This made it the biggest UK port by value of goods passing through it but is well short of the 90% of everything we buy coming through Felixstowe claim. Especially as only just over 75% of all internationally traded goods pass through all our seaports combined, then there is stuff that we buy which is actually produced in this country and so won't come through Felixstowe.

In short, that claim was cobblers.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 16:46 - Jan 24 with 4591 viewsStokieBlue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 19:02 - Jan 23 by amy73

Yes, but they will all be put back how they were. The land owners are being highly compensated for the disruption. It would be awful if there was a road there just because the Orwell bridge got closed occasionally. The lines prevent any further building on that route in any case, which is why, in the most part residents are happy to have them.

Let’s not use a sledge hammer to crack a nut. The solution is one of the following:

A. Make the bridge more windproof.
B. Come up with a better closing strategy, ie just close to high-sided vehicles. This is done all the time with other bridges like the Humber.
C. Build a tunnel
D. Or how about just put up with it occasionally?

I suspect all of these solutions are cheaper than a totally unnecessary Northern bypass.

I'd love an explanation on how a tunnel with a road in it would be cheaper than building just a road.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:02 - Jan 24 with 4568 viewsronnyd

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:03 - Jan 23 by Benters2

Just let the cars go across if its dodgy ? That would be something shirley?

Benters, Don,t call me shirley lol. (Naked Gun).
Login to get fewer ads

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:17 - Jan 24 with 4555 viewsFinidiCentenary

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 14:32 - Jan 24 by Binner

By the same token, did you not think that it may actually be accurate?

Felixstowe Port is the biggest in the UK. So essentially almost everything sold in this country that isn't made or grown here probably comes off a container ship at Felixstowe.

Just looking at my desk, my computer was made in China, my calculator was made in Indonesia, the banana I've not yet eaten was presumably from Africa or the Carribean, the Nivea hand cream I have was made in Poland.

How would you suggest these goods got into the UK? This is the real issue with the Orwell Bridge. Literally everything in the country apart from that made in the UK, has gone down the A14 at some time in its life.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:41 - Jan 24 with 4536 viewsbournemouthblue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 16:46 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

I'd love an explanation on how a tunnel with a road in it would be cheaper than building just a road.

SB

This is #ToryLogic

I thought Dan Poulter had already been laughed off the stage with this tunnel suggestion but sure enough he's come back for round two

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 19:35 - Jan 24 with 4504 viewsamy73

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 16:46 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Because it would be a shorter distance and there would be no need for billions to be paid in compensation to landowners. Tunnels are actually relatively low cost these days with modern boring technology.

Also it would be a much faster project.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:07 - Jan 24 with 4491 viewsBinner

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:17 - Jan 24 by FinidiCentenary

By the same token, did you not think that it may actually be accurate?

Felixstowe Port is the biggest in the UK. So essentially almost everything sold in this country that isn't made or grown here probably comes off a container ship at Felixstowe.

Just looking at my desk, my computer was made in China, my calculator was made in Indonesia, the banana I've not yet eaten was presumably from Africa or the Carribean, the Nivea hand cream I have was made in Poland.

How would you suggest these goods got into the UK? This is the real issue with the Orwell Bridge. Literally everything in the country apart from that made in the UK, has gone down the A14 at some time in its life.

No. I didn't consider for a moment that it could be accurate because it cannot possibly be so. You might want to look at Geoff's comment above.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:14 - Jan 24 with 4479 viewsbournemouthblue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 19:35 - Jan 24 by amy73

Because it would be a shorter distance and there would be no need for billions to be paid in compensation to landowners. Tunnels are actually relatively low cost these days with modern boring technology.

And you're an expert in the various stratas involved under the Orwell are you?

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:22 - Jan 24 with 4467 viewsamy73

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:14 - Jan 24 by bournemouthblue

And you're an expert in the various stratas involved under the Orwell are you?

The geology is not that relevant to the cost. Without boing you with the details (!), there are a couple of different methods which are a similar cost. A tunnel under the Orwell would be in the region of £400m (perhaps a £100m either side of that). Much less than a northern bypass.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:31 - Jan 24 with 4450 viewsbournemouthblue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:22 - Jan 24 by amy73

The geology is not that relevant to the cost. Without boing you with the details (!), there are a couple of different methods which are a similar cost. A tunnel under the Orwell would be in the region of £400m (perhaps a £100m either side of that). Much less than a northern bypass.

Estimated at around £100 million, that's a quarter of the cost

That's not factoring in the fact the North of Ipswich needs a relief road

There's no logic to giving another option without added capacity to the whole A12/14 around Ipswich

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:34 - Jan 24 with 4446 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 19:35 - Jan 24 by amy73

Some of the tecnnology is quite interesting to be fair.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:41 - Jan 24 with 4443 viewsamy73

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 20:31 - Jan 24 by bournemouthblue

Estimated at around £100 million, that's a quarter of the cost

That's not factoring in the fact the North of Ipswich needs a relief road

There's no logic to giving another option without added capacity to the whole A12/14 around Ipswich

£100 million? You must be joking. That gets you about 4 miles and that’s just the build cost. You then need to pay all,the landowners probably £2000 a metre for farm land and then compensate all those householders.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 22:12 - Jan 24 with 4410 viewsStokieBlue

If you are going to troll at least try. You're giving trolls a bad name.

So, in order

- Yes, it's shorter in total distance but it needs to drill beneath the mud layer of the Orwell into firm rock. Drilling is expensive.

- Billions? Really? You seem to have an inflated sense of the market value of land in Suffolk.

- Elon Musk isn't going to be drilling the tunnel, it's not cheap.

- Got any metrics on how drilling a tunnel then putting a road through it is faster than laying a longer road?

Obviously you have no answers to the above as tedious troll is tedious. Give it a rest.

SB

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 09:22 - Jan 25 with 4331 viewspoppiesman

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 17:47 - Jan 23 by Pinewoodblue

There is a low bridge, under railway, in Kettering where they have set up a warning system. Presumably using a laser system. There is a sign further sling thst lights up warning of the bridge height. Something like that would work, but you would need to Police it which might be e pensive

And yet since that was installed there a few years ago, the bridge has still seen many to high lorries stuck under it, including one only a couple of weeks ago.
Mainly are foreign lorry drivers who either can't read or understand the big flashing warning signs!!
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 09:58 - Jan 25 with 4312 viewslongtimefan

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 22:12 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

If you are going to troll at least try. You're giving trolls a bad name.

So, in order

- Yes, it's shorter in total distance but it needs to drill beneath the mud layer of the Orwell into firm rock. Drilling is expensive.

- Billions? Really? You seem to have an inflated sense of the market value of land in Suffolk.

- Elon Musk isn't going to be drilling the tunnel, it's not cheap.

- Got any metrics on how drilling a tunnel then putting a road through it is faster than laying a longer road?

Obviously you have no answers to the above as tedious troll is tedious. Give it a rest.

SB

Not in favour of a tunnel approach but modern tunnel technology doesn’t necessarily require drilling. Have a google for immersed tunnels. They’re becoming quite common place.
Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 10:04 - Jan 25 with 4307 viewsStokieBlue

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 09:58 - Jan 25 by longtimefan

Not in favour of a tunnel approach but modern tunnel technology doesn’t necessarily require drilling. Have a google for immersed tunnels. They’re becoming quite common place.

Even for immersed tunnels you have to dig a trench and then bore a tunnel for the connections at each end I believe?

So still not that cheap, certainly not in the Suffolk transport budget one would think?

SB

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 10:06 - Jan 25 with 4303 viewsJ2BLUE

Ahh so you're using modern boring technology. If I may say so, it's extremely effective.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 10:20 - Jan 25 with 4285 viewsGeoffSentence

Orwell Bridge likely to be closed tomorrow! (Wednesday 24 January) on 10:06 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

Ahh so you're using modern boring technology. If I may say so, it's extremely effective.

Do you remember the good old days of tunnel boring? Blokes with chisels. Ahhh, TWTD.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024