Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? 06:33 - Jan 24 with 6694 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454

Personally, whilst I do sympathise with her situation, my gut instinct says she’s booked for a music experience, they’ve done everything they can do satisfy her but for her to still be suing because the two warm up acts didn’t have an interpreter is harsh.

Is she being over the top or should they have made sure she had an interpreter and set list for the warm up acts as well?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 06:48 - Jan 24 with 4964 viewsBenters2

The World has gone nuts.

Why would you want to go to a popular music concert if you are deaf?

[Post edited 24 Jan 2018 8:26]
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 06:58 - Jan 24 with 4956 viewsTLA

Is it someone from Little Mix that you fancy Rommy?

If so, you could demand ear plugs so you can see them but not have to listen to their music!
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:43 - Jan 24 with 4896 viewschristiand

Personally, I believe a concert should be accessible for all and her needs are catered for. This young Little Mix fan, although deaf still enjoys her music and singing along to the tracks. Also, the support acts will have a similar appeal and sound to that of Little Mix - potentially they could acquire a new fan if she enjoys their performance, sound and lyrics.

Personally, I side with the parent on this one. Naturally, I don't know all the 'ins and outs' of the story, but they have paid good money for six tickets, they have also given advanced warning of the need of an interpreter. Yes, this young girl is deaf, but should that mean that she can't enjoy herself and the experience of going to a concert? Just believe showing some goodwill from the organisers would have been real good publicity, surprised that in this day and age it isn't standard practice.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:54 - Jan 24 with 4871 viewslowhouseblue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:43 - Jan 24 by christiand

Personally, I believe a concert should be accessible for all and her needs are catered for. This young Little Mix fan, although deaf still enjoys her music and singing along to the tracks. Also, the support acts will have a similar appeal and sound to that of Little Mix - potentially they could acquire a new fan if she enjoys their performance, sound and lyrics.

Personally, I side with the parent on this one. Naturally, I don't know all the 'ins and outs' of the story, but they have paid good money for six tickets, they have also given advanced warning of the need of an interpreter. Yes, this young girl is deaf, but should that mean that she can't enjoy herself and the experience of going to a concert? Just believe showing some goodwill from the organisers would have been real good publicity, surprised that in this day and age it isn't standard practice.

'This young Little Mix fan, although deaf still enjoys her music and singing along to the tracks.' read the article again.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:59 - Jan 24 with 4867 viewsPinewoodblue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:43 - Jan 24 by christiand

Agree with your sentiments it is just a shame you didn't read the article. It is the mother who is deaf.

Too many business pay little attention to their obligations. Enforced by law, towards those with disabilities. I have found this out since my wife has been in a wheelchair. Shops she can no linger get into is a good example. Did consider taking similar action over a musical festival on a caravan park in Cornwall. They didn't have any accomodation which was wheelchair accessible and refused to refund deposit.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:04 - Jan 24 with 4837 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:54 - Jan 24 by lowhouseblue

'This young Little Mix fan, although deaf still enjoys her music and singing along to the tracks.' read the article again.

Read the article again, it's the mum the signing is for !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:08 - Jan 24 with 4834 viewsHerbivore

Legally they have a duty to make reasonable adjustments, the warm up acts are part of the show and factored into the ticket price so they have no real excuse for not providing an interpreter for the first two acts.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:10 - Jan 24 with 4828 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:59 - Jan 24 by Pinewoodblue

Agree with your sentiments it is just a shame you didn't read the article. It is the mother who is deaf.

Too many business pay little attention to their obligations. Enforced by law, towards those with disabilities. I have found this out since my wife has been in a wheelchair. Shops she can no linger get into is a good example. Did consider taking similar action over a musical festival on a caravan park in Cornwall. They didn't have any accomodation which was wheelchair accessible and refused to refund deposit.

It is a shame that many businesses will only sit up and listen when someone resorts to the suing culture. On a positive note it is good to hear that despite the difficulties life has thrown at you and d Mrs P you are still getting out there.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:36 - Jan 24 with 4791 viewschristiand

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 07:54 - Jan 24 by lowhouseblue

You're right should have read the article first! However, still think that concert organisers should try and make the experience accessible for all.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:19 - Jan 24 with 4756 viewsBasuco

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 06:48 - Jan 24 by Benters2

The World has gone nuts.

That was my first thought, live music is a special experience if the act you are watching can perform to a level above their recorded music. There are many bands who simply perform far better or far worse live, apart from that live performers bring emotion and feeling through their instruments and performance. How can a deaf person appreciate this aspect of live music? Knowing the words is not a part of enjoying a performance. One example off the top of my head was The Verve at Glastonbury 2008(?) They performed Love is Noise at the end of the set for the very first time, even the BBC cameraman panned back thinking that the set was over. They then produced an amazing end to brilliant set.
I know we are talking about Little Mix here but they may well put together a decent live show, possibly.
This is thinking about the case from enjoying a live music perspective.
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:23 - Jan 24 with 4748 viewsTLA

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:36 - Jan 24 by christiand

You're right should have read the article first! However, still think that concert organisers should try and make the experience accessible for all.

It is a legal requirement to make public events accessible.

In practice, it can be challenging. I once showed a film in mental health training where it depended on being able to see - it was based on a great street theatre campaign.

I was given a telling off because a person without sight couldn't understand it, which I just hadn't thought about. Now I either don't use it or ask at the beginning about people's needs and adjust the materials I use accordingly. It's good to keep learning.

Here's the film, it's very short and quite cool but you can understand why someone with a visual impairment would feel excluded:

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:27 - Jan 24 with 4728 viewsHerbivore

The World has gone nuts.

She was taking her daughter. She'd paid for her ticket and should have been able to get the most possible out of the experience just like everyone else who bought a ticket.

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:28 - Jan 24 with 4724 viewschicoazul

The World has gone nuts.

On the one hand most sensible people would say you are correct and that this woman is being a bit silly. On the other hand the law is the law. It may be that before long blind people are provided with units to listen to live commentary of football games for instance as part of the Equalities Act.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:31 - Jan 24 with 4713 viewsitfcjoe

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:23 - Jan 24 by TLA

It is a legal requirement to make public events accessible.

In practice, it can be challenging. I once showed a film in mental health training where it depended on being able to see - it was based on a great street theatre campaign.

I was given a telling off because a person without sight couldn't understand it, which I just hadn't thought about. Now I either don't use it or ask at the beginning about people's needs and adjust the materials I use accordingly. It's good to keep learning.

Here's the film, it's very short and quite cool but you can understand why someone with a visual impairment would feel excluded:

World's gone mad, unfortunately not everyone can do everything.

What if this was a band playing a gig in a local pub at £6 a ticket - that would then be a public event that isn't accessible but the band are probably barely covering their expenses so wouldn't be able to afford an interpreter.

The ladies point about not going to see a film and missing the first 20 minutes doesn't make sense either, the support acts aren't part of the main event - most people that go to concerts don't even watch them anyway.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:33 - Jan 24 with 4706 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 06:58 - Jan 24 by TLA

Is it someone from Little Mix that you fancy Rommy?

If so, you could demand ear plugs so you can see them but not have to listen to their music!

She even has a Geordie accent

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:12 - Jan 24 with 4651 viewsSteve_M

I would have thought that being deaf at a Little Mix concert would be a definite advantage.

Less facetiously, providing a sign language interpreter for the main act but not the support acts is reasonable in my opinion. AS to suing the promoters, it depends whether she is doing that to raise awareness, because in that case she has been successful.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:23 - Jan 24 with 4620 viewsGlasgowBlue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 08:10 - Jan 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

It is a shame that many businesses will only sit up and listen when someone resorts to the suing culture. On a positive note it is good to hear that despite the difficulties life has thrown at you and d Mrs P you are still getting out there.

I don’t mean to sound insensitive but wouldn’t it be better if the lyrics came up on a screen rather than having a Sign Language interpreter? Surely this distracts you from the performance whereas on the screen you can see the performance and the lyrics.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:26 - Jan 24 with 4616 viewslowhouseblue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:28 - Jan 24 by chicoazul

On the one hand most sensible people would say you are correct and that this woman is being a bit silly. On the other hand the law is the law. It may be that before long blind people are provided with units to listen to live commentary of football games for instance as part of the Equalities Act.

I don't have a problem with any of this when it comes to big concerts and well profitable and resourced concert promoters, or top level football (a radio with the local commentary does the trick). but the law applies at all levels, and if enforced throughout it could kill smaller events and things done for fun rather than purely for money.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:26 - Jan 24 with 4610 viewsBenters2

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:33 - Jan 24 by The_Romford_Blue

So does Newcy do you fancy him?
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:28 - Jan 24 with 4603 viewsJ2BLUE

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 09:33 - Jan 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Average.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:35 - Jan 24 with 4581 viewsconnorscontract

I think she'll lose. The promoters made an offer to give free tickets to an interpreter of their choice (but whom the customers would have had to pay). The customer refused this so they provided an interpreter for the main act, staging and lighting for the interpreter, and upgraded seats for the whole party. Was this a reasonable adhustment, bearing in mind it was in exchange for the money for only three seats.

Deaf culture is extremely feisty, and I'm not surprised she is suing, but I think the Court will decide the promoters acted reasonably.

The key to it all may come down to whether she requested an interpreter for Little Mix or explicitly stated that she wanted one for the support acts as well.

If the promoters lose this case then many small and medium sized venues may be forced to close, and I say that as a promoter of a medium sized venue.
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:42 - Jan 24 with 4566 viewsBenters2

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:28 - Jan 24 by J2BLUE

Average.

I bet you take all that plaster off her face she wouldnt look all that.

Ive turned better away.

Id rather go for a nice ramble with Ellie Harrison.
Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:50 - Jan 24 with 4545 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:28 - Jan 24 by J2BLUE

Average.

Just your average worldie you mean

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:53 - Jan 24 with 4535 viewsPinewoodblue

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:50 - Jan 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Just your average worldie you mean

? See Benters comments above. Without that makeup you could pass her in the street without even a second glance.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 13:07 - Jan 24 with 4451 viewsHerbivore

Who’s in the right and who’s in the wrong here? on 10:35 - Jan 24 by connorscontract

I think she'll lose. The promoters made an offer to give free tickets to an interpreter of their choice (but whom the customers would have had to pay). The customer refused this so they provided an interpreter for the main act, staging and lighting for the interpreter, and upgraded seats for the whole party. Was this a reasonable adhustment, bearing in mind it was in exchange for the money for only three seats.

Deaf culture is extremely feisty, and I'm not surprised she is suing, but I think the Court will decide the promoters acted reasonably.

The key to it all may come down to whether she requested an interpreter for Little Mix or explicitly stated that she wanted one for the support acts as well.

If the promoters lose this case then many small and medium sized venues may be forced to close, and I say that as a promoter of a medium sized venue.

Do small and medium sized venues get a lot of deaf parents bringing their children to gigs?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024