Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
bbc website inanity 13:36 - Jan 25 with 4672 viewssparks

Just me? Or does the dumbing down continue apace? A public service public funded service which is rammed with inane celeb gossip and click bait.

Today on the front page:

My wife doesn't shower anymore

Demi lovato to offer therapy to fans

Baker offs nadiya hits back at Twitter troll

What do you do if you think you've been cursed

5 artists rumoured to release albums in 2018

What Britney needs to know about Scarborough

Can you match the model to the pop star parent?

Brendan cole on strictly romances

Shouldn't this stuff be the preserve of commercial sites and magazines...?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

on 13:43 - Jan 25 with 4051 views_

bbc website inanity on 13:47 - Jan 25 with 4041 viewsStokieBlue

Surely you were on the Daily Mail by "mistake"?

The BBC is decent for seeing if there is actually anything happening (for instance the SpaceX engine test). I then go off and find a proper source which reports the event correctly.

Essentially it's just an old-style RSS aggregator now.

SB
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 13:49]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

bbc website inanity on 14:02 - Jan 25 with 4000 viewseireblue

Is it generated based on interests?

The only common thing between your list and my BBC Homepage is

"My wife doesn't shower anymore "

Which is about the "Cape Town Water Crisis"

And

"Demi lovato to offer therapy to fans "

Which I have to scroll all the way past other news items to get to the Entertainment Section, and even then I was mildly disappointed the article is more about raising awareness for mental health issues.

The singer, who has bipolar disorder, says its "really important to take away the stigma of mental illness".

The singer says she wants to use her voice for more than just singing and share her own experiences of mental health issues.
bbc website inanity on 14:06 - Jan 25 with 3994 viewsGeoffSentence

Are you sure you weren't on the entertainment home page, my BBC home page has

Three killed in commuter train crash
French fisherman block Calais and Boulogne
Sky signals the end of the satellite dish
Violent crime rising, police figures show

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 14:08 - Jan 25 with 3977 views_

bbc website inanity on 14:06 - Jan 25 by GeoffSentence

bbc website inanity on 14:10 - Jan 25 with 3970 viewssparks

bbc website inanity on 14:06 - Jan 25 by GeoffSentence

It has those too.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

bbc website inanity on 14:11 - Jan 25 with 3962 viewsJ2BLUE

This one made me laugh: What do you do if you think you've been cursed

I agree with Libby though, society as a whole is dumbing down. That South Park episode where they try to locate and raise 'the bar' seems more and more fitting by the day.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

bbc website inanity on 14:14 - Jan 25 with 3949 viewsJ2BLUE

bbc website inanity on 14:10 - Jan 25 by sparks

It has those too.

Vicious circle. The more brain rotting 'news' that is offered the more people will consume it. Much easier to read about something like one of the Kardashians buying a new bag than try to understand something important.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

bbc website inanity on 14:16 - Jan 25 with 3939 viewsGlasgowBlue

What do you do if you think you've been cursed?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 14:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

bbc website inanity on 14:19 - Jan 25 with 3924 viewsDanTheMan

bbc website inanity on 14:16 - Jan 25 by GlasgowBlue

What do you do if you think you've been cursed?
[Post edited 25 Jan 2018 14:17]

Eat some extra strong cheese, it'll flush out the curse.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

bbc website inanity on 14:26 - Jan 25 with 3906 viewsjeera

bbc website inanity on 14:14 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

Vicious circle. The more brain rotting 'news' that is offered the more people will consume it. Much easier to read about something like one of the Kardashians buying a new bag than try to understand something important.

Have any of you seen MSN?

Feck me.

I once made the mistake of clicking on a story about some cute dog and how it had saved an entire town or something.

I was still clicking per slide to tease out each every damn element of the story half an hour later.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

bbc website inanity on 14:28 - Jan 25 with 3888 viewsJ2BLUE

bbc website inanity on 14:26 - Jan 25 by jeera

Feck me.

I once made the mistake of clicking on a story about some cute dog and how it had saved an entire town or something.

I was still clicking per slide to tease out each every damn element of the story half an hour later.

haha I hate those clickbait things. One site I go on has them all along the bottom of the website. The one that never seems to change '20 Hollywood Celebs You Didn't Know Were Gay' - who gives a flying feck?

Truly impaired.

Can you match the model to the pop star parent? on 14:33 - Jan 25 with 3866 viewsDyland

I scored five.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

bbc website inanity on 14:36 - Jan 25 with 3851 viewsjeera

bbc website inanity on 14:28 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

haha I hate those clickbait things. One site I go on has them all along the bottom of the website. The one that never seems to change '20 Hollywood Celebs You Didn't Know Were Gay' - who gives a flying feck?

Yet actually the one they show as the leader you are maybe curious to read about, is the only one who isn't featured, (as you discover as you trawl through).

bbc website inanity on 14:37 - Jan 25 with 3845 viewsGlasgowBlue

bbc website inanity on 14:28 - Jan 25 by J2BLUE

Were there any who surprised you?

My guess would be Elton John, Will Young and Freddie Mercury. It's always the ones you least expect.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Can you match the model to the pop star parent? on 14:38 - Jan 25 with 3840 viewsjeera

Can you match the model to the pop star parent? on 14:33 - Jan 25 by Dyland

I scored five.

Why doesn't the woman shower anymore?

Did they convert their shower room to bath only?

bbc website inanity on 14:41 - Jan 25 with 3840 viewsLord_Lucan

I posted the other night that I was at home with the future ex wife and she was watching The National TV awards.

Anyhoo, there was an award for the best TV judge (X factor, Britains got Talent sort of thing)

I think that was then that I realised that the world has gone mad - and I blame the youngsters.

On a semi serious note I put down the phenomenon of rubbishness to the fact that we haven't had a world war of late and despite people claiming that X % of people are living in poverty we actually haven't ever had it so good.

Take a look at your fridge and I bet there are cans of coke in there, I know you'll think I'm daft but when I was a kid I reckon me and my mates had a can of coke a month. I used to go round Fine Fare with Mother and she had in her mind exactly what she had spent - she needed to. Nowadays it's largely just buy what you want.

Moan moan moan - I seem to have gone off on a tangent

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

on 14:44 - Jan 25 with 3820 views_

bbc website inanity on 14:41 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

I posted the other night that I was at home with the future ex wife and she was watching The National TV awards.

Anyhoo, there was an award for the best TV judge (X factor, Britains got Talent sort of thing)

I think that was then that I realised that the world has gone mad - and I blame the youngsters.

On a semi serious note I put down the phenomenon of rubbishness to the fact that we haven't had a world war of late and despite people claiming that X % of people are living in poverty we actually haven't ever had it so good.

Take a look at your fridge and I bet there are cans of coke in there, I know you'll think I'm daft but when I was a kid I reckon me and my mates had a can of coke a month. I used to go round Fine Fare with Mother and she had in her mind exactly what she had spent - she needed to. Nowadays it's largely just buy what you want.

bbc website inanity on 14:46 - Jan 25 with 3810 viewsjeera

I saw this on there this AM which was quite good.

Dunno if it's already been posted but not a bad goal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42809587

bbc website inanity on 14:47 - Jan 25 with 3810 viewsLord_Lucan

on 14:44 - Jan 25 by _

I'm certainly not p1ssed, I'm at work.

I'm attempting to pre wash my end of year accounts before I finally send them to the launderette.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

bbc website inanity on 14:54 - Jan 25 with 3777 viewsGeoffSentence

bbc website inanity on 14:10 - Jan 25 by sparks

It has those too.

I managed to find your Brendan Cole one, but way down at the foot of the page in amongst the the other entertainment news, I also found a link which says "help us make the homepage better' which, it turns out, takes you to "customise your home page". This could be just what you need to filter out the shlt.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

bbc website inanity on 14:56 - Jan 25 with 3766 viewsJ2BLUE

bbc website inanity on 14:37 - Jan 25 by GlasgowBlue

Were there any who surprised you?

My guess would be Elton John, Will Young and Freddie Mercury. It's always the ones you least expect.

Strangely enough I didn't click it.

The only celebrity I care whether they are gay or not is Hayleigh McQueen. If she is i'd be really disappointed. If she isn't i'd very much like the opportunity for her to be very disappointed.

Truly impaired.

Cans of coke? on 15:12 - Jan 25 with 3731 viewsDyland

bbc website inanity on 14:41 - Jan 25 by Lord_Lucan

Have a word with yourself Lucers.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

bbc website inanity on 15:21 - Jan 25 with 3703 viewsSuperfrans

I genuinely can't see any of those stories on the BBC homepage.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

bbc website inanity on 17:25 - Jan 25 with 3598 viewsBlueBadger

bbc website inanity on 14:26 - Jan 25 by jeera

Feck me.

Yahoo news is even worse than that. An innocuous story about some ducklings crossing the road will, by the fifth comment, have turned into a load of rants about ''lefties, PC traitors and Why Everything Is The Fault of People Who Aren't Straight White Blokes'.

It is genuineley worse than youtube.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024