Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well, pick the bones out of that one. 17:08 - Jan 27 with 8658 viewsDarth_Koont

Pretty much a perfect example of how we're talking margins. But nevertheless the margins are apparent and make all the difference.

We played OK but Wolves were clearly at another level with how their team actually worked as a unit, on and off the ball. While I accept we've been screwed by injuries, we really need to start playing with a midfield.

Pronouns: He/Him

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:11 - Jan 27 with 5657 viewsLankHenners

Quite. Gave the ball away too much in their half, especially after HT, and ran out of ideas too many times, allowing them to stand up strong at the back. Contrary to recent games, Celina looked the brightest throughout out of the front 4 - McGoldrick not in it at all, Garner near anonymous, Waghorn not quite up to his usual standards.

Connolly clearly a good player and Gleeson looks a good signing (although clearly tired 2nd half) but having a first choice midfield (at least 2 of Skuse/Huws/Adeyemi) would have helped a lot.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:12 - Jan 27 with 5648 viewsHipsterectomy

OK: we are sh1te with a joke of a manager

Next question

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:12 - Jan 27 with 5637 viewsblueconscience

They are at another level due to three things. Ambition, a will to spend, and a drive to succeed. Unfortunately three things we will never see here under Evans.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 17:14]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:13 - Jan 27 with 5609 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:12 - Jan 27 by Hipsterectomy

Next question

Not really what I was saying. We're comparing ourselves against an automatic promotion side and seeing what the gap is.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:14 - Jan 27 with 5595 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Next question

What was the first question. We're actually average with a proven manager at this level. See if you can get the next made up question right.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:15 - Jan 27 with 5569 viewsblueconscience

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:13 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Not really what I was saying. We're comparing ourselves against an automatic promotion side and seeing what the gap is.

Wolves were previously just another mid table medicocre team, but decided to do something about it.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 17:15]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:15 - Jan 27 with 5570 viewstractorboy1978

We've written the season off haven't we? Evidenced by announcing our business for the window is done last week. It's time for MM to go and to start thinking about next season.
Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:17 - Jan 27 with 5519 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:12 - Jan 27 by blueconscience

They are at another level due to three things. Ambition, a will to spend, and a drive to succeed. Unfortunately three things we will never see here under Evans.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 17:14]

That and having a first-choice midfield.

It's funny you talk about ambition, will and drive. There was no lack of that from us or the manager with his selection. But we're not there in terms of quality and consistency.

Until then I'd look to get a bit boring and build our play from midfield.

Login to get fewer ads

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:18 - Jan 27 with 5491 viewsmrshallisfit

Next question

How many brain cells do you possess?
Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:19 - Jan 27 with 5477 viewsblueconscience

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:17 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

That and having a first-choice midfield.

It's funny you talk about ambition, will and drive. There was no lack of that from us or the manager with his selection. But we're not there in terms of quality and consistency.

Until then I'd look to get a bit boring and build our play from midfield.

I am aiming those reasons more at the owner than mick, so nothing to do with todays selection etc etc.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:21 - Jan 27 with 5438 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:19 - Jan 27 by blueconscience

I am aiming those reasons more at the owner than mick, so nothing to do with todays selection etc etc.

If the answer is throw money at it then I won't really care anymore.

There are other competitive sports to watch.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:24 - Jan 27 with 5401 viewsblueconscience

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:21 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

If the answer is throw money at it then I won't really care anymore.

There are other competitive sports to watch.

Unfortunately that is the only way, do you honestly believe Wolves would have improved as much as they have without spending what they have?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 17:29]

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:31 - Jan 27 with 5331 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:24 - Jan 27 by blueconscience

Unfortunately that is the only way, do you honestly believe Wolves would have improved as much as they have without spending what they have?
[Post edited 27 Jan 2018 17:29]

It's not the only way. Having the patience and balls to follow a more sober approach has paid dividends for Huddersfield.

We're a sustainable Championship team putting emphasis on the Academy and younger players. The next part of the plan is to become more entertaining and/or challenge more effectively. That would be good enough for me.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:35 - Jan 27 with 5271 viewsblueconscience

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:31 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

It's not the only way. Having the patience and balls to follow a more sober approach has paid dividends for Huddersfield.

We're a sustainable Championship team putting emphasis on the Academy and younger players. The next part of the plan is to become more entertaining and/or challenge more effectively. That would be good enough for me.

If only there were more lower spenders like Huddersfield, and less big spenders like Bournemouth, Wolves, Brighton etc etc.

If only :(

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:39 - Jan 27 with 5234 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:35 - Jan 27 by blueconscience

If only there were more lower spenders like Huddersfield, and less big spenders like Bournemouth, Wolves, Brighton etc etc.

If only :(

Agreed. But for all the big spenders there have been some spectacular blowouts.

Money isn't the answer, in fact I'd say that money can be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:46 - Jan 27 with 5186 viewsnshearman1

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:39 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. But for all the big spenders there have been some spectacular blowouts.

Money isn't the answer, in fact I'd say that money can be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Money isn't the whole answer, of course not, but it is part of the answer, along with ambition, drive, vision and a number of other things. People (not necessarily yourself) seem sometimes to be content with shrugging their shoulders and saying 'we were beaten by the netter team', but as long as there is an absolute minimum of 6 better teams in this division (and I would suggest there are several more than that number) we are simply p***ing in the wind.
Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:46 - Jan 27 with 5181 viewsGuthrum

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:31 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Huddersfield threw several million pounds at a one-season gamble on going up. That included a fair few transfer fees and loans from top clubs, a shrewdly-picked manager, plus subsidising tickets to get the fans on board.

It was a well put together plan and it did work - just (on penalties)

But it wasn't cheap and I doubt they could have afforded to try it twice in the event of failure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:50 - Jan 27 with 5149 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:46 - Jan 27 by Guthrum

Huddersfield threw several million pounds at a one-season gamble on going up. That included a fair few transfer fees and loans from top clubs, a shrewdly-picked manager, plus subsidising tickets to get the fans on board.

It was a well put together plan and it did work - just (on penalties)

But it wasn't cheap and I doubt they could have afforded to try it twice in the event of failure.

They spent on transfers but didn't spend too much on wages as far as I'm aware. I think the wage bill of 11 million was being bandied about which is significantly lower than ours I believe.

But transfers and wages combined, they didn't spend big in comparison to the average for the division.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 5120 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:46 - Jan 27 by nshearman1

Money isn't the whole answer, of course not, but it is part of the answer, along with ambition, drive, vision and a number of other things. People (not necessarily yourself) seem sometimes to be content with shrugging their shoulders and saying 'we were beaten by the netter team', but as long as there is an absolute minimum of 6 better teams in this division (and I would suggest there are several more than that number) we are simply p***ing in the wind.

Is there a problem with ambition, drive and vision?

The 5-point plan and what we see on the pitch and from the manager don't suggest that's a problem.

Maybe we need a tactical breakthrough or a bit of luck more than anything else?

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:58 - Jan 27 with 5088 viewsGuthrum

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:50 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

They spent on transfers but didn't spend too much on wages as far as I'm aware. I think the wage bill of 11 million was being bandied about which is significantly lower than ours I believe.

But transfers and wages combined, they didn't spend big in comparison to the average for the division.

That £11m was for the previous season, 2015-16. The accounts for the season they were promoted haven't been filed yet.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01771361/filing-history

Being below average for the division in not hard, given the inflated spending of clubs like Derby and Villa.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:00 - Jan 27 with 5057 viewsnshearman1

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:54 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Is there a problem with ambition, drive and vision?

The 5-point plan and what we see on the pitch and from the manager don't suggest that's a problem.

Maybe we need a tactical breakthrough or a bit of luck more than anything else?

I don't personally see much of any of those three from the owner and only sporadically and inconsistently from Mick. In my view, the 5-point plan has not been properly seen through, and after a decade of ME we have largely languished in mid-table obscurity so it's hard to argue that this plan or any of his plans has been or is working.

We certainly do need a tactical breakthrough.

And I don't think a little bit of luck would (a) be a plan we can rely on (it could be argued we had a bit of that in August) or (b) be enough to get us any nearer the play-offs.
Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:01 - Jan 27 with 5051 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 17:58 - Jan 27 by Guthrum

That £11m was for the previous season, 2015-16. The accounts for the season they were promoted haven't been filed yet.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01771361/filing-history

Being below average for the division in not hard, given the inflated spending of clubs like Derby and Villa.

Fair enough. Be interesting to see how much it did cost.

I certainly think it's worth investing money if the approach is otherwise sound and showing clear signs of working. Just not that money is an approach in itself.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:06 - Jan 27 with 5016 viewsDarth_Koont

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:00 - Jan 27 by nshearman1

I don't personally see much of any of those three from the owner and only sporadically and inconsistently from Mick. In my view, the 5-point plan has not been properly seen through, and after a decade of ME we have largely languished in mid-table obscurity so it's hard to argue that this plan or any of his plans has been or is working.

We certainly do need a tactical breakthrough.

And I don't think a little bit of luck would (a) be a plan we can rely on (it could be argued we had a bit of that in August) or (b) be enough to get us any nearer the play-offs.

Which parts of the 5-point plan haven't been followed?

Entertaining and attractive football has been a struggle but mostly because of the midfield injuries. There have been attempts though both in terms of signings and tactics. Dare I say it, we even tried to look attractive today and tried to play albeit it rarely meant we threatened Wolves.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:09 - Jan 27 with 4985 viewsGuthrum

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:01 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough. Be interesting to see how much it did cost.

I certainly think it's worth investing money if the approach is otherwise sound and showing clear signs of working. Just not that money is an approach in itself.

Indeed. Derby's presence still in this division and Leicester's lengthy travails are example enough that money without a cohesive and effective plan is no solution.

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:10 - Jan 27 with 4982 viewspointofblue

Well, pick the bones out of that one. on 18:06 - Jan 27 by Darth_Koont

Which parts of the 5-point plan haven't been followed?

Entertaining and attractive football has been a struggle but mostly because of the midfield injuries. There have been attempts though both in terms of signings and tactics. Dare I say it, we even tried to look attractive today and tried to play albeit it rarely meant we threatened Wolves.

I thought football wise we played some of our nicest stuff in the first half today - we certainly didn't deserve to be 1-0 down at half time and had some chances ourselves.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024