Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50 Years ago tomorrow 08:57 - Feb 2 with 2169 viewsPJH

I witnessed my first ITFC win at Carrot Rud.
Colin Viljoen with 3 and Billy Houghton scoring in a 4-3 win after being 0-2 down.
Since then I have seen 9 more wins in competitive games there and looking through the scorers of our goals in those games there are a mixture of ITFC greats,us v them legends and heroes for the moment.
Those that scored in our wins there are Viljoen,Houghton,Whymark(in 2 games),Clive Woods,David Johnson(V1),Lambert,Thijssen,Mariner,Muhren,Butcher,D'Avray,Kiwomya,Thompson,Wilnis,Darren Bent,Juan and Haynes.
I am hoping to be able to add more names to that list of goalscorers in winning games hopefully starting in a couple of weeks.
I enjoy seeing ITFC beat anyone but beating them,especially at their place,is extra special.
Apart from the goals there are two particular things that I remember from that collection of games-BFJ unleashing Dean Bowditch to set up two goals and Jason Dozzell and the bobble hat.
I thought that memories of past wins and hopes of future wins in Norfolk might be appreciated by some.

COYB
50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:04 - Feb 2 with 2140 viewswitchdoctor

viljeon chipped Keelan twice in that game if memory serves...
50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:17 - Feb 2 with 2128 viewsPJH

50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:04 - Feb 2 by witchdoctor

viljeon chipped Keelan twice in that game if memory serves...

Yes and Billy Houghton scored from a freekick from quite a long way out.
50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:22 - Feb 2 with 2128 viewsITFC_Forever

At the risk of going all 12th Man....

I was born in the mid-70s, so while I can just about remember the likes of Wark, Mariner etc, players such as Whymark, Viljoen, Woods etc were before my time.

How good were they, and what style of play were their strengths? Compared to the '81 side for example?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:33 - Feb 2 with 2115 viewsbluefunk

50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:22 - Feb 2 by ITFC_Forever

I was born in the mid-70s, so while I can just about remember the likes of Wark, Mariner etc, players such as Whymark, Viljoen, Woods etc were before my time.

How good were they, and what style of play were their strengths? Compared to the '81 side for example?

I heard Sif Bobby refer to Viljoen as having the best vision of any player he had ever worked with (thus was circa 1976/77) and he was great passer of the ball and a favourite of mine. He was the cause of the player revolt in the Villa game before the Cup Final as SBR was going to reinstate him in the team to the exclusion of Rigef Osbourne.

Whymark was a target man, with everything that implies, superb in the air, if not as physically imposing as, say, Mariner. Woods was a tricky winger, and he was doing the “Cruyff turn” well before Johan was on TV doing it in the World Cup, in fact IIRC did it in the Leeds FA Cup saga at Filbert Street ( sadly not televised)

Hope that helps, and only my opinion
50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:34 - Feb 2 with 2115 viewsPJH

Whymark was, in my opinion, the best target man that I have seen for us.
He was like Murphy at his best,only better.
A large part of the earlier SBR years had our game based on getting the ball forward to Whymark to either hold up or flick on for midfield runners like Hamilton,Talbot or Warky.
He was as good as anyone that I have seen for us in the air but also had good control on the ground.
He deserved more than his one England cap as a sub.
Clive Woods when on song was great with the ball at his feet and could tear a fullback apart, his downside was that he was inconsistent but I suppose that is true of most wide players.
Colin Viljoen was a classy midfielder who could run with the ball or pick a pass and scored several goals(54 in fact).It was a pity that his ITFC career ended as it did at the time of the F.A. Cup Final although he had been injured for a lot of that season and the two that preceded it.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 9:38]
50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:00 - Feb 2 with 2079 viewsmonty_radio

Although players like Wark, Thijssen and Muhren generally occupy the midfield of Town's all-time greats, for me , Viljoen had the most complete game. Not as thrusting as Warky, as mazey as Thijssen nor as elegant as Arnie - but all four things he could do: beat a player close up, tackle, pick a distant pass, score regularly.

Not for nothing did the inimitable SBR call him Ace.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:26 - Feb 2 with 2054 viewsbluesatin

50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:00 - Feb 2 by monty_radio

Although players like Wark, Thijssen and Muhren generally occupy the midfield of Town's all-time greats, for me , Viljoen had the most complete game. Not as thrusting as Warky, as mazey as Thijssen nor as elegant as Arnie - but all four things he could do: beat a player close up, tackle, pick a distant pass, score regularly.

If my memory serves me I am sure we also had two goal disallowed Eddie Spearritt and Bobby Hunt being the two unfortunate players Bobby Houghton free kick goal was taken near the dugouts. I was 14 and standing in the Barclay end
50 Years ago tomorrow on 11:38 - Feb 2 with 2010 viewsPJH

50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:26 - Feb 2 by bluesatin

If my memory serves me I am sure we also had two goal disallowed Eddie Spearritt and Bobby Hunt being the two unfortunate players Bobby Houghton free kick goal was taken near the dugouts. I was 14 and standing in the Barclay end

You are quite right about those goals being disallowed although I had forgotten them.
Spearritt's when it was 0-0 and Hunt's when we were 2-1 behind.
Our team that day was Hancock,Mills,Houghton,Spearritt,Baxter,McNeil,Barnard,Hunt,Crawford,Viljoen and Brogan with Jefferson an unused sub.

Information from my copy of Pride Of Anglia-Over Ninety Years Of Soccer Rivalry.
Login to get fewer ads

50 Years ago tomorrow on 11:40 - Feb 2 with 2004 viewsPJH

50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:00 - Feb 2 by monty_radio

Cannot argue with any of that about Viljoen but I still have the three other greats that you mention as my midfield in my all time team.
For them to be ahead of Ace also shows how good they were.
50 Years ago tomorrow on 11:53 - Feb 2 with 1993 viewsfloridablue

50 Years ago tomorrow on 10:26 - Feb 2 by bluesatin

This was my first trip to Carrot Rd, 13 year old and also up in the Barclay stand with loads of other Town fans and just the thin blue line trying to keep the peace! For some reason i was trying to remember if this was a night game or probably just dusky/dark early!
My last time there was in the early eighties, i think 80-81 season.
50 Years ago tomorrow on 12:06 - Feb 2 with 1980 viewsPJH

50 Years ago tomorrow on 11:53 - Feb 2 by floridablue

This was my first trip to Carrot Rd, 13 year old and also up in the Barclay stand with loads of other Town fans and just the thin blue line trying to keep the peace! For some reason i was trying to remember if this was a night game or probably just dusky/dark early!
My last time there was in the early eighties, i think 80-81 season.

It was a Saturday afternoon game and the previously quoted book says the weather was bright sunshine so maybe you are thinking of another game for the dusky/dark early conditions.
I had been there once before when we lost 2-1 in 1964 and played half the game with 10 men due to a pre substitute days injury to Billy Baxter.
50 Years ago tomorrow on 12:39 - Feb 2 with 1942 viewsfarkenhell

50 Years ago tomorrow on 09:34 - Feb 2 by PJH

Whymark was, in my opinion, the best target man that I have seen for us.
He was like Murphy at his best,only better.
A large part of the earlier SBR years had our game based on getting the ball forward to Whymark to either hold up or flick on for midfield runners like Hamilton,Talbot or Warky.
He was as good as anyone that I have seen for us in the air but also had good control on the ground.
He deserved more than his one England cap as a sub.
Clive Woods when on song was great with the ball at his feet and could tear a fullback apart, his downside was that he was inconsistent but I suppose that is true of most wide players.
Colin Viljoen was a classy midfielder who could run with the ball or pick a pass and scored several goals(54 in fact).It was a pity that his ITFC career ended as it did at the time of the F.A. Cup Final although he had been injured for a lot of that season and the two that preceded it.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2018 9:38]

I would agree wholeheartedly about Whymark. In fact, I think the only person I have seen who could head the ball better was the Beat.

Clive Woods of course gave Pat Rice the complete runaround in the 78 cup final.

I don't remember too much about Viljoen, although he remains one of my Dad's favourite players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024