Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York..... Recommendations 07:14 - Feb 4 with 2518 viewsfinidiwoah

Me and the wife are going to New York for 5 nights next week and while everyone says.... "You have to go to......"

What would you cultured lot recommend as placed to go for foods/drinks etc, any hidden gems out there? Obviously we'll be doing all of the touristy events - but hit me with anything we should be considering!

Cheers
New York..... Recommendations on 07:40 - Feb 4 with 2487 viewsMothersAgainstKids

Take the subway to Brooklyn bridge and walk to Midtown or keep going to Central Park. You'll see, hear, smell and feel so much more than doing anything else.

Plus, if it's your first time, best not get your expectations up too much.
New York..... Recommendations on 09:12 - Feb 4 with 2409 viewsmichaeldownunder

Go to Grand Central train station, take time to look up at the ceiling. Next go downstairs to the oyster bar. Have an oyster or two with a very chilled glass of your fav beer / white wine.
New York..... Recommendations on 09:25 - Feb 4 with 2395 viewsbluefunk

Book lunch at the Boat House in Central Park, Ask for a window table, book dinner at the River Cafe under Brooklyn Bridge, both are memorable. Book online before you go, be aware the River Cafe will set you back about $350_$400
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 9:26]
New York..... Recommendations on 09:37 - Feb 4 with 2384 viewsartsbossbeard

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn for pizza. Immense.

Alison, Bloomingdale's have a quirky restaurant which is based on a train carriage. Well worth a visit.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

New York..... Recommendations on 10:30 - Feb 4 with 2338 viewsBigeze

230 fifth in flat iron district is a decent roof top bar. Just around the corner from the 40/40 sports bar owned by jay z
New York..... Recommendations on 10:31 - Feb 4 with 2334 viewsAce_High1

I am looking at going this year, can anyone advise when is the best time of year to go?
New York..... Recommendations on 10:36 - Feb 4 with 2331 viewsbluefunk

New York..... Recommendations on 10:31 - Feb 4 by Ace_High1

I am looking at going this year, can anyone advise when is the best time of year to go?

May is good, so is October
New York..... Recommendations on 10:47 - Feb 4 with 2331 viewsDyland

Manhattan is amazing. It has a unique vibe. Walk from the financial district along the river into Tribeca and then into Greenwich Village, and wander over to Washington Square. Get some grub wherever and keep walking. Head over to the lower East side. I was going to recommend a cider bar called Wassail but I've just looked up for the address and I see it's closed down. Honestly though, any bar on the East side will do you for a scuzzy/"trendy" New York experience.

Brooklyn. I spent a lot of time in Williamsburgh twenty odd years ago. It was the meat packing district and hummed with history. These days it's been developed and gentrified (think parts of Battersea and Brixton) but still worth a look cos you can walk over the Williamsburgh bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn and get a sense of the place. Get a cab to Brooklyn Heights (just tell the driver you want to drive and admire the views of Manhattan from the freeway or whatever) and have a wander around. Classic New York brownstones and again, just grab some grub in any old corner cafe.

I don't know Queens or the Bronx so can't comment... but with only five days I wouldn't try and do too much. New York is a seriously good city break and like every big metropolis has its own soul. Basically do a lot of walking. And I wouldn't bother too much with going up the Empire State Building or Liberty Island to get up close to the Statue or going on the Staten Island ferry, or even the big museums (unless that's your thing) to tick the boxes. Walk and talk innit.

Enjoy.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2018 10:48]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

New York..... Recommendations on 10:59 - Feb 4 with 2302 viewsReuser_is_God

New York..... Recommendations on 09:37 - Feb 4 by artsbossbeard

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn for pizza. Immense.

Alison, Bloomingdale's have a quirky restaurant which is based on a train carriage. Well worth a visit.

Kestes in Greenwich is also superb for pizza.

Up there with Grimaldis for me.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

New York..... Recommendations on 13:43 - Feb 4 with 2217 viewsconnorscontract

It depends on your budget and what kind of food you like, but our teenage sons really wanted to go up the Rockefeller to see the Empire State Building. It sounds obvious, but if you go up the EMpire State Building then you get great views of New York without the ESB...

But I'm always out for a bargain and so found this very high standard Korean Restaurant which is a couple of blocks away from ESB and at the top of a hotel. No queues, great food and views in all directions:

http://gaonnurinyc.com/gallery/photo-gallery/space/

We got a lunch deal like this one:

http://gaonnurinyc.com/menu/restaurant-week-2018/

and had the Bibimbap. A flight of traditional Korean brandies and spirits (Plum brandy was gorgeous, others were weird but an experience) for $20 meant it came in at about $50 each (plus you tip 20% in NY restaurants) so with tip you get a Michelin recommended meal with plenty of drink and great views for $120 for both of you: that's £85, whereas a trip up the Rockefeller to Top of the Rock is $68 or £45. It's a no brainer for me, and, as I said earlier, you don't have the queues, the crowding the pushing and the feeling of being rushed through.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024